The Official High Definition TV Support Thread

Fran

Banned User
Reaction score
Hey there, my name is Fran. And I love HDTV.

I know quite a bit about them, as does jaguarr.

If you need help picking out a TV or just have basic technical support questions, ask us in this thread.

:up:

No, I figured I'd be nice and helping people. :huh:

Careful or you'll wind up getting curbed, fran.

jag

ok, so I just got a new apartment and i'm on the verge of finally getting a new HDTV. I don't really know much but from what I've seen, I want to get a 32" Sony Bravia. But it sez its 720p. Is that good? Also, what other things do I need to get? In terms of receivers, wires, etc.

thanks.

720p is pretty good. A lot of people recommend it. I've got a 50" DLP projection Samsung HDTV, that is 720p and is terrific.

But if you've got the money, get a 1080p or "Full HD" television. The best and highest-definition format out there.

Make sure you get a TV with HDMI inputs and component plug-ins, etc. What are you gonna hook up to the TV?

Fran™;13584949 said:
720p is pretty good. A lot of people recommend it. I've got a 50" DLP projection Samsung HDTV, that is 720p and is terrific.

But if you've got the money, get a 1080p or "Full HD" television. The best and highest-definition format out there.

Make sure you get a TV with HDMI inputs and component plug-ins, etc. What are you gonna hook up to the TV?

well I have a small apt. and a 32" seems the best fit. I guess 1080i and 1080p are only for bigger tv sets.

Along, with the Bravia tv I am going to buy the compatible Bravia theater system. The tv comes with 2 HDMI inputs. But I dont know if thats enough. Also, it sez that it has a built in tuner. Does that mean I dont need a separate HD cable box and that I can hook up the cable right onto the tv?

I plan on hooking up the 5DVD theater system and then later on a PS3. What kind of cables and such do I need to get for the best sound and picture?

what kind of tv do you have? I haven't seen any hdtv's that are 1080i/p that are less then 40".

It's a Samsung, and they make 1080i's that are smaller than 40 inch, just not many that are 1080p (Samsung recently came out with the first one). Because the difference between the two on anything less than a 40 inch is pretty minuscule.

I'm thinking about getting a 42" Vizio. Anybody know a reason why I shouldn't?

Maybe I' m late about that news but I Just heard about Super or Ultra HD!!! With 4 time the resolution of the current HD TV! This is crazy :huh:

Forget it! It not even in the market yet not before 2015:csad:

I'm thinking about getting a 42" Vizio. Anybody know a reason why I shouldn't?

LCD or Plasma? Model number?

Maybe I' m late about that news but I Just heard about Super or Ultra HD!!! With 4 time the resolution of the current HD TV! This is crazy :huh:

Yeah, Super Hi-Vision/Ultra HDTV will be very cool technology when it hits the market but, as you've already discovered, it's going to be awhile before it's available. And when it does hit the market, expect it to be expensive as holy blue hell.

jag

Yeah, Super Hi-Vision/Ultra HDTV will be very cool technology when it hits the market but, as you've already discovered, it's going to be awhile before it's available. And when it does hit the market, expect it to be expensive as holy blue hell.

jag

Not to mention the fact that it's gonna be a while before machines that can record in such a high resolution come into regular usage, because whe you quadruple what we have today, you go past the limitations of film. it's gona be a while before anyone but the huge production companies decide to by all-new camera equipment, not to mention the lighting and visual effects upgrades that would need to happen.

Not to mention the fact that it's gonna be a while before machines that can record in such a high resolution come into regular usage, because whe you quadruple what we have today, you go past the limitations of film. it's gona be a while before anyone but the huge production companies decide to by all-new camera equipment, not to mention the lighting and visual effects upgrades that would need to happen.

Yep. Excellent point. That's the other side of the coin; content production will also require all new equipment and that will be even slower to take off than the consumer sets. It'll be 2020 before you really see this technology start to take off with both consumers AND film and television producers using it.

jag

ok i got a Philips 50 inch DLP tv.

should i buy different a/v cables, or should i be ok with the ones that come with the tv?

ok i got a Philips 50 inch DLP tv.

should i buy different a/v cables, or should i be ok with the ones that come with the tv?

What kind of a/v cables are you currently using, what are you connecting it to, and what are your connection options on your TV and the other things you are connecting it to?

Vizio makes decent LCD boxes for the money. I know a few people who have them and love them, after I spent some time fiddling with their picture settings to get the picture to really look as good as possible (granted this is something you have to do with any set out of the box, but the Vizio sets I've done this with seem to have needed more twiddling than some of the other sets I've calibrated). Vizio is a little stingy with some of the ports on some of their sets, but if you don't really need those it's not a deal-breaker. Definitely want to stay away from Plasma, though (which is part of why I asked). I'd say this is a decent set and you could do a lot worse. What are you looking at paying for this box?

jag

Vizio makes decent LCD boxes for the money. I know a few people who have them and love them, after I spent some time fiddling with their picture settings to get the picture to really look as good as possible (granted this is something you have to do with any set out of the box, but the Vizio sets I've done this with seem to have needed more twiddling than some of the other sets I've calibrated). Vizio is a little stingy with some of the ports on some of their sets, but if you don't really need those it's not a deal-breaker. Definitely want to stay away from Plasma, though (which is part of why I asked). I'd say this is a decent set and you could do a lot worse. What are you looking at paying for this box?

Oh, I know all about plasma. I'll be plugging my PS3 into whatever TV I eventually settle on. And I believe I saw this at Wal-Mart for under $900.

Out of curiosity, which TV do you have in your home?

Oh, I know all about plasma. I'll be plugging my PS3 into whatever TV I eventually settle on. And I believe I saw this at Wal-Mart for under $900.

Out of curiosity, which TV do you have in your home?

I have two LDC TV's in my house, both Samsungs. Samsung can't be beat right now, IMHO. For my larger set, I had a DLP Rear Projection set that I absolutely adored but it died and they couldn't get parts to repair it, so I had to replace it and Best Buy (I had in-store credit on the set that died, since I had it on extended warranty) really doesn't have DLP sets available anymore, save for a few Mitsubishi boxes that I wasn't fond of at all. So, I replaced it with an LN46A580P. I also have a smaller set in our downstairs family room. That one is an LN37A550P. Both sets are excellent and I'm very happy with both of them.

jag

Hmm . . . I'll take a look at some Samsungs, too, now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"