The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you guys for the advice. I've not used a Mac much before (aside from playing around on it in Best Buy). Will the leap from PC to Mac be a confusing one or is it fairly user friendly?

The only real issue that I've found is that Mac's are more mouse intensive (assuming you're a heavy keyboard shortcut guy on the PC like I am).

Also, installing and uninstalling programs takes a bit getting used to. Unlike a PC, it's often just drag the file into the Applications folder and you're done. And when I uninstall, there always seems to be little files left behind, and I don't know the best way to clean them.

Thank you guys for the advice. I've not used a Mac much before (aside from playing around on it in Best Buy). Will the leap from PC to Mac be a confusing one or is it fairly user friendly?
I made the transition 5 years ago. It's only confusing in the sense that you have to throw away most of your knowledge on Windows systems. Most friends that have come to me for help on something, are actually complicating matters because the "Mac way" is almost too simple.

Uninstalling applications is a great example because it's a common question. It really is just a matter of dragging something from the Apps folder into the trash bin. Done. wiegeabo is right in that it does tend to leave files over (most of which you'll never find), but you can always download a third-party application that takes care of that in the same drag-and-drop fashion. So no biggie. It's still easy as hell. A Mac's greatest asset is its intuitive UI. If you need to accomplish something, just use normal logic instead of "Windows logic" and you'll likely be fine.

The only real issue that I've found is that Mac's are more mouse intensive (assuming you're a heavy keyboard shortcut guy on the PC like I am).

Also, installing and uninstalling programs takes a bit getting used to. Unlike a PC, it's often just drag the file into the Applications folder and you're done. And when I uninstall, there always seems to be little files left behind, and I don't know the best way to clean them.

Clean them using app zapper:

http://www.appzapper.com/

Highly recommended.

Clean them using app zapper:

http://www.appzapper.com/

Highly recommended.

There's plenty of uninstallers that do the job similarly. I'd recommend trying each one of these out, or just take their final recommendation:

http://www.myappleguide.com/blogs/i...cleaner-vs-appdelete-vs-appzapper-vs-cleanapp

They're all pretty competitive with every new software update.

BAH!

1) Delete the program.
iTunes

2) Delete your User folder Library files.
/Users/shh/Library/iTunes

3) Delete any User folder, Library, Application Support files associated with it.
/Users/shh/Library/Application Support

4) Delete any user folder, Library, Preferences [plist] files associated with it.
/Users/shh/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist

5) Delete any Hard Drive Library directory associated with it.
/Library/iTunes

6) Delete any Hard Drive Library Application Support folders/files associated with it.
/Library/Application Support/

7) Delete any Hard Drive directory Preferences associated with it.
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iLife.plist

8) Delete any Hard Drive System Library files/folders that maybe associated with it.
/System/Library/Quicktime

That's all you need....unless.

It's a program that has the uninstaller built into it. MS Office, Norton Anti Virus, Adobe CS Suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"