The Official High Definition TV Support Thread

Hmm . . . I'll take a look at some Samsungs, too, now.

From now through February or March is a good time to pick up higher ticket items like electronics and cars. They're trying to make their numbers for the holidays, and they'll have new stock of new models coming in January and they'll want the money back out of their stock of older models that are being discontinued so they can invest it in the new stock, so they price everything lower. Definitely go to Best Buy or Circuit City and compare some of the sets side by side. Seeing is believing and you'll find what you like the most by doing that. I always look online for pricing as well, to see if it might be worth buying from an online retailer and having it drop-shipped or not (some places even offer free shipping).

jag

What kind of a/v cables are you currently using, what are you connecting it to, and what are your connection options on your TV and the other things you are connecting it to?

jag

i'm using the ones that came with the tv. i dont know what they are but i can check if need be.

the only things i have connected to the tv are a PS2 and a cable box.

From now through February or March is a good time to pick up higher ticket items like electronics and cars. They're trying to make their numbers for the holidays, and they'll have new stock of new models coming in January and they'll want the money back out of their stock of older models that are being discontinued so they can invest it in the new stock, so they price everything lower. Definitely go to Best Buy or Circuit City and compare some of the sets side by side. Seeing is believing and you'll find what you like the most by doing that. I always look online for pricing as well, to see if it might be worth buying from an online retailer and having it drop-shipped or not (some places even offer free shipping).

jag

that's really good advice. i got my tv in early january after the holidays and got it for like 600 off the regular price.

I just got a third party brand lcd 1080p 47inch flat panel. i saved money, sure, but we shouldn't be slaves to the big name brands...i figured with the right components I can tweak my tv to look just as good as a Sony made up of essentially the same tech. I'm getting a candle-like flickering effect in gray or shaded areas of things i'm watching....does anyone else have this problem? I read that even big name brands eventually start doing this at some point....but what's the fix? I haven't professionally color calibrated my screen but I found a few good suggestions for DIY. My Blu Ray player is hooked up using HDMI...but my cable box (which has HD broadcasts) is only hooked up using the digital components provided...green, red, blue cords. So...is it the tv broadcasts? My box will tell me when something is being broadcast in 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i...and this flickering is barely even noticeable when I watch blu-ray's...but when I'm watching Conan O'brien in HD...the blue backgrounds and even the grays on his jacket are flickering as if theres a fire in the studio...or a light inside the tv is dying out...
I am starting to feel buyers remorse or just plain holiday shopper's depression. I refuse to return it...theres no way its defective and there must be an explanation out there somewhere.
Anybody ever experience this?

I currently have Cox Communications for my cable service. Now, with my HDTV that has an HD Tuner, I am able to connect to my cable box, and do a channel scan to pick up free HD signals. So, i get HD channels without connecting to any thing.

I may move where the only two choices for Cable TV is Verizon Fios or Comcast. I heard if I take FIOS, I can't get HD Signals for free on my HDTV. Is this true, what is the best solution

I just got a third party brand lcd 1080p 47inch flat panel. i saved money, sure, but we shouldn't be slaves to the big name brands...i figured with the right components I can tweak my tv to look just as good as a Sony made up of essentially the same tech. I'm getting a candle-like flickering effect in gray or shaded areas of things i'm watching....does anyone else have this problem? I read that even big name brands eventually start doing this at some point....but what's the fix? I haven't professionally color calibrated my screen but I found a few good suggestions for DIY. My Blu Ray player is hooked up using HDMI...but my cable box (which has HD broadcasts) is only hooked up using the digital components provided...green, red, blue cords. So...is it the tv broadcasts? My box will tell me when something is being broadcast in 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i...and this flickering is barely even noticeable when I watch blu-ray's...but when I'm watching Conan O'brien in HD...the blue backgrounds and even the grays on his jacket are flickering as if theres a fire in the studio...or a light inside the tv is dying out...
I am starting to feel buyers remorse or just plain holiday shopper's depression. I refuse to return it...theres no way its defective and there must be an explanation out there somewhere.
Anybody ever experience this?

My 32" Vizio widescreen tv has a similar problem were certain areas of the screen flickers. It looks as though a cloud of white smoke has gotten into my tv & just settled in certain areas in the movies that I am trying to watch. Maybe it is just a problem with contrast, a faulty hook-up in the back or a problem with the lamp that can't be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"