The OFFICIAL Mac User Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is buying an iPad? I'm still thinking about it.

I'd be seriously thinking about it if it wasn't for two things:

No multitasking
It's not Snow Leopard, but a modified iTouch/Phone OS (which means it runs apps from the app store, not regular softward)

The tablet's not really a laptop because of those. It's just a big screen iTouch. It does look slick and high quality. And the price is about half what I expected. I'll admit, if I was on another phone carrier, I'd probably pick the iPad up because I could get the 3G data plan from AT&T without needing a phone plan. And my coworker got rid of his DSL when he got his iPhone because tethering on the 3G was faster. He said he'd probably get the iPad if he didn't have a phone and still had his DSL. He wouldn't have had to switch carriers then either (his old plan was cheaper and had free texting).

I read that iPad still won't support Flash, which makes web browsing a big headache. Apple should've made iPad (and iPhone/iPod Touch) Flash-compatible; it's a no-brainer.

Oh yeah, that's the other missing thing.

On the phone/touch, not a huge loss. The screen is small anyway and they always claimed it would badly drain battery life.

But the pad is supposed to have 10 hours of battery, and screen size is not an issue. So why no Flash? Can it be security? Except this is OS X, so why is security such a problem?

Last edited:

On the phone/touch, not a huge loss. The screen is small anyway and they always claimed it would badly drain battery life.

But the pad is supposed to have 10 hours of battery, and screen size is not an issue. So why no Flash? Can it be security? Except this is OS X, so why is security such a problem?

I read somewhere that Apple has this dispute with Adobe, and also because they want to support HTML5, and not Flash. But Apple is rather ignorant if they think they can make iPad into a viable web browsing device without Flash.

It's not OS X. It's using the iPhone OS.

Anyone have this problem?

Suddenly my iPhone's decided to just lose functionality in the buttons and headphone jack. The volume, ringer, and power buttons no longer work. The home button and touchscreen are fine. And when I plug in my headphones, the phone just uses the speaker.

Anyone experience this and know a fix?

Anyone have this problem?

Suddenly my iPhone's decided to just lose functionality in the buttons and headphone jack. The volume, ringer, and power buttons no longer work. The home button and touchscreen are fine. And when I plug in my headphones, the phone just uses the speaker.

Anyone experience this and know a fix?
Have you tried restoring it?

I'm afraid too. I don't want to lose all my app data, and if the power button doesn't work, I don't think I can jailbreak it again.

I'm afraid too. I don't want to lose all my app data, and if the power button doesn't work, I don't think I can jailbreak it again.

Wellllllll......if you're phone is jailbroken and those functions aren't working for you and you don't have a custom IPSW with 3.1.2 you are probably screwed my friend. You basically have no choice but to restore it. If you have a 3.1.2 and can avoid your phone updating to the 3.1.3 you should be ok, at least for not upgrading your firmware.

But if not, there really isn't much you can do. Plus look at it this way, if it is hardware, a restore won't work and you need to get your phone swapped anyway. A major giveaway that it is hardware is your headphone port. If that isn't working I can almost guarantee it's hardware. 90% sure.

I've already restored it, and no change, just as I thought.

The Apple store said that they'll open it up and see if any of the hardware needs to be reset. Otherwise, they can swap the phone for another for $199. The thing is, it doesn't count as an upgrade on my phone contract, so I can still wait until June for the expected new version. And then sell the one I get today.

I fear that my macbook might be on its way out... I had to get a new hard drive for it in January, as it suddenly died on me without warning. But now I'm having problems where it freezes and becomes unresponsive, and it makes these beeping noises. Some days are better than others. In fact ever since I ran Disk Repair a couple of days ago it hasn't happened, although it has beeped a few times. I brought it in October 2007, so it is quite old.

Make sure you're not overheating it. It could be that it's overheating because you're not giving it proper ventilation, or the fans aren't working hard enough, or both. If it gets too hot, the graphics card (or other components) could freeze up and complain. Might have also contributed to your hard drive failure.

Or it could be dying of old age after all. But my Mac is from October 06, and I've never had a hardware issue. Make sure the fans are running good, and try cleaning it out with a can of air. Also make sure it's not building up heat while you're using it. Older macs like ours are notorious for getting very hot when sitting flat on a non-conductive surface like a desk.

JAK®;18129100 said:
I fear that my macbook might be on its way out... I had to get a new hard drive for it in January, as it suddenly died on me without warning. But now I'm having problems where it freezes and becomes unresponsive, and it makes these beeping noises. Some days are better than others. In fact ever since I ran Disk Repair a couple of days ago it hasn't happened, although it has beeped a few times. I brought it in October 2007, so it is quite old.

Could be your RAM. Disk Repair is very very light. I wouldn't count on it if I were you. Something like Disk Warrior will be a little more robust for testing your HD. If you torrent at all you can find what Apple uses to run diagnostics on your machine.

As for your HD, that's what happens. They do just suddenly die but, the MID 07 MB's if that is the model you have actually has issues with the HD and it is something Apple will cover even if you're OOW. :up:

On another note.

Does anyone convert movies here? I use handbrake and just got another program called iSkysoft Media Converter but I am still having the same trouble which is....

The music will not carry along with the converted file to decode on my PS3. The files I have that I am trying to convert are .MKV files but the PS3 does not support those files so I have tried with both above mentioned programs so far to convert them into readable files for the PS3 which has happened but no sound all times I have tried.

Any suggestions or help? Any other programs that you guys use to convert video on the Mac?

I've already restored it, and no change, just as I thought.

The Apple store said that they'll open it up and see if any of the hardware needs to be reset. Otherwise, they can swap the phone for another for $199. The thing is, it doesn't count as an upgrade on my phone contract, so I can still wait until June for the expected new version. And then sell the one I get today.

Wait...what the **** did they say? Open it up and see if any of your hardware needs to be reset? Ummm did they say something else? Why don't you have Apple Care on your phone? Yeah the phone they swap you out with is most likely a refurb (not a big deal to me) and will only have a 90 day warranty but will only cost $199 and does not affect your AT&T contract.

Yes most likely one will be coming out in June there are a lot of competitors now and imho Apple really should push for not just a new iPhone but some major overhauls. :up:

My phone had been out of warranty for months. When the second guy looked at my phone yesterday, he saw that there was separation at the top (jack/button corner). When they opened it up, a cable at the bottom was loose, but didn't fix the phone. Even the little metal ring at the top of the jack had broken off. So, yeah, my phone was broke.

But they swapped it out for another at $199. Seeing as how 3G's are still selling nicely on eBay, I should be able to get more than my money back once I get the new phone in June.

Last edited:
I thought about it, but never really considered it. Not having OS X and Flash were deal breakers. I could live without multitasking (especially since OS 4.0 is supposed to have it). But not having OS X just makes it a giant sized iPod Touch with a 3G option.

Besides, my iPhone's screen is the perfect size for watching stuff at work. ;) Again, without full OS X, I didn't have a reason to use it.

Last edited:
Nope, sort of for reasons Wieg pointed out but not entirely the same on all points he made. I just don't have a use for it that warrants a $499+ price tag. And it isn't that impressive to me, although I do see it replacing the MBA imho in the somewhat near future.

Plus I've been thinking about getting a 27" with an i7 core processor. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"