X-Men The Official MCU X-Men News and Discussion Thread

I prefer a more adult X-Men, (late 20s to early 30s).

With the younger X-Men like Iceman, Jubilee, Shadowcat already in their mid 20s.
I agree, although they could do early 20s. It would make a change to see how adults deal with life changing events such as the activation of superpowers, rather than a coming of age teen angst ridden character who throws temper tantrums and has to learn to cope with being "different" etc.

I agree that the "young adult" franchises have been done to death. I think it would be more interesting to see how adults deal with the sudden manifestation of powers in their lives rathe than the usual "teen angst" and drama from a teenager discovering they're "different".

If they did decide to have a teenage character, it should be a character that the audience can see grow over time into an adult within the MCU (so at least 10 years played by the same actor).

As for whether the youngest character should be male or female, I'd say go male for a change because young females are often used as morality chains for older (particularly male) characters with an older female character usually "taking them under her wing" then dying so that the young female can learn and grow and "step up". With a young male character, they can either be led astray by an older male character who they're trying to emulate (despite being warned against it by another team member) then it backfires and they learn their lesson or they can try and bond with one of the older males but be rejected because the older males "don't want to hang around with a kid" and eventually they step up and earn "respect" for being a valuable member of the team.

Alternatively, they could go for a set of twin characters (1 male, 1 female) and show their different experiences within the group.
I actually really like this. X-Men 97 has some shades of that with a young Roberto and I actually found that pretty refreshing. Wouldn't mind if they use Iceman or Warren for this either and make them a bit younger than the rest of the O5.

I dunno, I prefer a mostly younger group.

I like the reasoning that mutants have always been around in the MCU but in incredibly small numbers. So you’d have a few adults like Professor X, Magneto, Wolverine, and Sinister who have been operating in the shadows for awhile. But then the events in IW and Endgame triggered an uptick in mutant gene expressions that’s most prevalent in young adults.

So I’d prefer a Professor in his 40s who’s only been running his school for a few years. On the older end you could maybe have Scott, Jean, Ororo, Hank, and Warren as the first graduating class on the older. On the younger side is Kitty and Jubilee. Bobby and Rogue somewhere in the middle. Pepper in other mutants throughout.

I see X-Men feeling like a combination of Stranger Things and Dune in terms of the young adult approach.

Definitely use Hulk's snap as the basis for the uptick of mutants in the MCU. It awakened the dormant X-gene and it just makes sense.

But I'm in the camp of making the X-Men 20/30somethings. We already have teenage Spider-Man and all that high school stuff, so if you give them that same kind of treatment it feels redundant and also moves into X-Men Evolution territory. Go the route that TAS and 97 is going, but let the main X-Men be teachers to the New Mutants and you can use them for the YA stuff.

If The Marvels took off at the box office, I would've banked on Kamala being the audience surrogate for the movie, but now I'm hoping again for Jubilee.

Last edited:
I feel like the success of X-Men '97, would make the roster of X-Men '27 completely predictable. But I would loved to be surprised if they add Angel and Psylocke in the miX. Those two finally getting the spotlight as members of the X-Men in a X-Men movie, would be way more refreshing and interesting, than seeing the rebooted Beast and the Wolverine in X-Men '27.

Definitely use Hulk's snap as the basis for the uptick of mutants in the MCU. It awakened the dormant X-gene and it just makes sense.

But I'm in the camp of making the X-Men 20/30somethings. We already have teenage Spider-Man and all that high school stuff, so if you give them that same kind of treatment it feels redundant and also moves into X-Men Evolution territory. Go the route that TAS and 97 is going, but let the main X-Men be teachers to the New Mutants and you can use them for the YA stuff.

If The Marvels took off at the Box office, I would've banked on Kamala being the audience surrogate for the movie, but now I'm hoping again for Jubilee.

Nah, its pretty clear they are keeping Kamala tied to the mutant side. Being the new recruit surrogate is a different issue, given how old Vellani will be when they get around to an X film.

As for the YA side, there is a reason why we keep getting a new "Next Generation of X-men" book every ten years or so. New Mutants, Gen x, Academy X, Wolverine & the X-men, and it looks like Extraordinary X-men will be that in the new books.

Also, any male writer who says their favorite X-man is Kitty Pryde is a red flag.

The next film with Monica Rambeau in it will be the one with the X-Men (or at least some of them) in it because in the end credits scene, she is clearly in the basement of the X-Mansion because you can see Cerebro's doors as Beast leaves the room.

Given that Monica's mother is "young" in the scene, what if she's travelled back in time rather than to another dimension?

Also they could get rid of Brie Larson's Captain Marvel and bring the X-Men in by having Rogue show up and kill her. Two birds, one stone.

If The Marvels took off at the Box office, I would've banked on Kamala being the audience surrogate for the movie, but now I'm hoping again for Jubilee.

I dunno, it’s not quite the same to me. The X-Men are a diverse team and I think exploring how all these young mutants with varying backgrounds navigate what it means to be a hero all while being completely despised by the people they’re told to protect is just very different thematically from Spidey.

Speaking honestly, and a bit selfishly, I just don't want to see a bunch of teenage X-Men because it will remind me of how old I am :disappointed;:yummy: I can usually still fool myself into thinking Cyclops is older than me lol

Methinks that's partly why people don't like Ryan Stegman's new Cyclops redesign in the upcoming comics too

I think it makes more sense to start the team young and watch them grow up. Throw a couple teachers in to watch over them. Sort of like X-Men Evolution.

I dunno, it’s not quite the same to me. The X-Men are a diverse team and I think exploring how all these young mutants with varying backgrounds navigate what it means to be a hero all while being completely despised by the people they’re told to protect is just very different thematically from Spidey.

I feel you, but at the same time you can get the same material with them being late 20somethings. You have people from all walks of life, using their gifts for the greater good all the while protecting a world that tries to hold them down and judges and mistreats them for being who they are.

Hell that speaks to all of us millenials.

I think it makes more sense to start the team young and watch them grow up. Throw a couple teachers in to watch over them. Sort of like X-Men Evolution.

jack-nicholson-no.gif

the last x-men movies at Fox were all with a young cast.
I doubt Marvel Studios want to follow that path again. Some? definetly. All of them? no way.

Speaking honestly, and a bit selfishly, I just don't want to see a bunch of teenage X-Men because it will remind me of how old I am :disappointed;:yummy: I can usually still fool myself into thinking Cyclops is older than me lol

Methinks that's partly why people don't like Ryan Stegman's new Cyclops redesign in the upcoming comics too

That's what I'm saying bro.

Enough of the high school stuff, give us Melrose Place but with mutants lol.

I doubt Marvel Studios want to follow that path again. Some? definetly. All of them? no way.
Conceptually speaking, the series is about a school. So I do think it's important to showcase that. If I have a nitpick about the TAS, it's that Jubilee is like....the only student in the show lol! Everyone else is an adult, so it's like Charles is running a scam when it's like 8 teachers to 1 student. It's gotta feel like a school, and I do think given the mutants and MCU are a new phenomenon it makes sense to show that with younger characters. Like in Harry Potter, we see the Wizarding world first through Harry's eyes. I think it is the most logical way to do it.

There was still a lot of focus on the adults, but it didn’t help that the adults were Charles, Erik, Beast, hero Mystique, and Quicksilver. Things really were weird by the end of it.

Conceptually speaking, the series is about a school. So I do think it's important to showcase that. If I have a nitpick about the TAS, it's that Jubilee is like....the only student in the show lol! Everyone else is an adult, so it's like Charles is running a scam when it's like 8 teachers to 1 student. It's gotta feel like a school, and I do think given the mutants and MCU are a new phenomenon it makes sense to show that with younger characters. Like in Harry Potter, we see the Wizarding world first through Harry's eyes. I think it is the most logical way to do it.
you made great points, I cant deny any of that.
Jubilee being the only student on x-men TAS is just non sense, and yeah, they seem to keep that weird choice on the revival. Its a huge school type building, yet there arent students, never were and they never talk about forming a school. So why all this talk of "Charles first students"? Was there one only class in the 60s and Charles decided to quit after them? :tearsofjoy:

Feige will find a balance of adults and teenagers, Im sure about that. Maybe the mansion becomes a school at the very end of the movie like a cliffanger, and on the sequel its starts with an all-out private school like we are used to.

Was there one only class in the 60s and Charles decided to quit after them? :tearsofjoy:

Feige will find a balance of adults and teenagers, Im sure about that. Maybe the mansion becomes a school at the very end of the movie like a cliffanger, and on the sequel its starts with an all-out private school like we are used to.
Maybe Xavier registered it as a school at the beginning and then just didn't de-register it afterwards despite it no longer functioning as a school. Maybe he gets a tax break or something if it's still listed as educational premises?

Does Xavier fund the students that come to the school himself, or do the students and their families have to pay for them to attend? What happens if the student can't afford a private school education? Maybe being X-Men is how the students pay their way when they can't do so financially?

To be clear guys, I’m not saying I want an entire lineup of teenagers. I think characters like Scott, Jean, Ororo, Hank, and Warren should be literal young adults. In the 18-24 range.

I just want to be able to watch these characters grow without them aging out too quickly.. Someone else brought up Harry Potter and I think that’s a great comparison. Just skewing a bit older than that.

If you have the X-Men as the young adults (18-24) and they are in the Mcu. They would be the younger bunch especially when they appear in an Avengers movie. Tom Holland, Iman and the actress playing Ironheart, will be much older in 5 years. The cast of The Fantastic 4 are much older than I eXpected.

Assuming Marvel Studios could release Marvel Studios' X-Men '27 by 2027, it is still a long time from now.

I feel like the characters they would interact in the larger MCU will be a factor as well. So this is another reason why I want them older and hopefully more eXperienced in combat/battle.

They are newer characters within the MCU, so that's perfectly fine. We don't need a 40 year old Cyclops cause Chris Evans is older now. We can still have them interact. You are also potentially cutting short how long those characters would be in the MCU. You can get more mileage from a 20 year old than a 40 year old

Another thing I hope they do is cast unknowns, aside from the inevitable heavy hitters. The beauty of X-Men specifically is that the characters themselves are household names, so just go with some fresh talent who can pull said mutant off.

I don't think I want Cyclops to be 40 something, especially for the first film. Same thing with Storm, Jean, Psylocke, Angel, Rogue, etc. Like I said, I want a more adult X-Men, late 20s to early 30s. With the younger X-Men like Jubilee, Kitty and Iceman in their mid 20s. Chris Hemsworth/Brie Larson/Chris Evans/Scarlett got their respective mcu roles in their late 20s iirc.

I also would be fine with an actor in their late 40s, playing as the Professor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"