• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Official Metal Gear Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I meant in the artwork.

mgr_keyart_fnl_120811mzqow.jpg

Feel free to watch it again though. I know I'm going to before I hit the hay.

I'm willing to bet some of the same people that "love" Gray Fox have said they hated this trailer even though Fox was anything but stealth but all about in your face "You're going to die a direct and messy" death approach.

Gray Fox busted in a room and said "To hell" with stealth and started slicing and dicing fools, deflecting bullets, doing aerial flips etc. I mean you're a cyborg ninja for goodness sake what else did people expect?

If Gray Fox and Raiden wasn't an obvious enough indication of how they would play from seeing how they behaved in previous MGS titles that's just the "fans" fault. I can't believe how divisive this game has been. :(

That sounds really awesome. Going to re watch it for the millionth time. :hehe: :highfive:
Gray Fox used stealth camo when he massacred everyone in that hallway. He also used stealth camo when he cut off Ocelot's hand, and when he rescued Snake from his cell (if you elect to go that route in the game). At least he was making an effort at not being seen :csad:.

If this were any other game, I'd be willing to give it a chance. But the fact that they branded it with the "Metal Gear" name depresses me to no end. Stealth gameplay is what drew me to MGS in the first place. It was the foundation of the franchise. This, on the other hand, is an in-your-face slasher game with an overpowered cyborg ninja. As a MGS fan, that offers me nothing.

I'm not saying that the slicing people into little pieces and throwing giant mechs around like ragdolls isn't an enticing concept. But it's not Metal Gear. Nah. I'll stick with Solid Snake, pre-ninja Raiden, and Big Boss :up:.

Last edited:
I can completely understand people not liking the trailer, especially given the earlier promise of the game.

To me though, this is now a radical new interpretation of Metal Gear. A chance to even actually play those amazing fight scenes with Vamp in MGS4 (who, by the way, seems to be the main bad guy in Revengeance?). The part where he ran across Metal Gear Ray after picking him up and tossing him? Awesome, I've always dreamed of an over-the-top Metal Gear anime like that.

Seems like Twin Snake's has been topped, Matrix-wise :D

Hmm. This resembles Vanquish more than Metal Gear. Looks weak, which is weird for a Platinum game.

Super bummed they ditched the idea of showing what happened to Raiden between MGS2 and MGS4.

Super bummed they ditched the idea of showing what happened to Raiden between MGS2 and MGS4.
It sucks bc Raiden had a very great conclusion to his story arc in MGS4. Why disrupt that? He finally found peace, got his family and life together and I wish they had left it at that

Gray Fox used stealth camo when he massacred everyone in that hallway. He also used stealth camo when he cut off Ocelot's hand, and when he rescued Snake from his cell (if you elect to go that route in the game). At least he was making an effort at not being seen :csad:.

If this were any other game, I'd be willing to give it a chance. But the fact that they branded it with the "Metal Gear" name depresses me to no end. Stealth gameplay is what drew me to MGS in the first place. It was the foundation of the franchise. This, on the other hand, is an in-your-face slasher game with an overpowered cyborg ninja. As a MGS fan, that offers me nothing.

I'm not saying that the slicing people into little pieces and throwing giant mechs around like ragdolls isn't an enticing concept. But it's not Metal Gear. Nah. I'll stick with Solid Snake, pre-ninja Raiden, and Big Boss :up:.

Fair enough.

Although that stealth aspect of the cyborg ninja for the most part disappeared with Raiden in MGS4. Raidens style was far more head on and they're staying true to that.

Regardless of whether Gray Fox used invisible camo or not his methods were still far from "stealthy" when comparing him to the Snakes. He left a bloody mess. :p

Plus I loved MGS-MGS4 and the stealth aspect nothing will ever change that. Still, I don't think it makes me any less of a fan for really liking what I've seen but I do hold the feeling likewise for those that don't.

It's just somewhat surprising that some fans don't want to control the abilities of the cyborg ninja shown in MGS4. To me it's exploring another facet of the MG world.

It sucks bc Raiden had a very great conclusion to his story arc in MGS4. Why disrupt that? He finally found peace, got his family and life together and I wish they had left it at that

Now all of sudden people have grown sentimental towards Raidens story? Hmmm. ;)

Raiden has always been one of my favorite characters but it's not like his story isn't prone to tragedy. Violent lives ending violently.

One of the main complaints was that Raiden wasn't seasoned enough or man enough to be respected like the Snakes. Now that they're expanding this aspect of the character people all of a sudden don't like it? Whatever they do with Raiden some fans seem to always dislike no matter what.

Plus we don't know exactly what happened to Rose and Lil Jack. Not until Monday when Kojima Productions release this in depth background that's supposedly pretty long at least.

Last edited:
Now all of sudden people have grown sentimental towards Raidens story? Hmmm. ;)

Raiden has always been one of my favorite characters but it's not like his story isn't prone to tragedy. Violent lives ending violently.

One of the main complaints was that Raiden wasn't seasoned enough or man enough to be respected like the Snakes. Now that they're expanding this aspect of the character people all of a sudden don't like it? Whatever they do with Raiden some fans seem to always dislike no matter what.

Plus we don't know exactly what happened to Rose and Lil Jack. Not until Monday when Kojima Productions release this in depth background that's supposedly pretty long at least.
Ive liked Raiden since MGS2 and Ive always said as much. Ive also expressed my disintrest in seeing a post-MGS4 game with these characters bc they all, especially Raiden got fitting resolutions. No need to undo that and they had a story to tell with him in the 2-4 gap

Im also guessing not much has been done with Rising (or at least it was scrapped)if they can just drastically alter the story mid-production and that doesnt seem to bode well. Changing the timeline is a huge difference as far as writing the character and story

Fair enough.

Although that stealth aspect of the cyborg ninja for the most part disappeared with Raiden in MGS4. Raidens style was far more head on and they're staying true to that.

Regardless of whether Gray Fox used invisible camo or not his methods were still far from "stealthy" when comparing him to the Snakes. He left a bloody mess. :p
or they could give us the player the option on whether we wanted to play stealthy or more actiony as they did in MGS4. Just bc he has a sword and cybernetic abilities, doesnt mean he has to go all carnage all the time and it might be better off to take a more stealth approach. Not much is known of the game, but I hope there is a good mix between action and stealth in this title.

Last edited:
Ive liked Raiden since MGS2 and Ive always said as much. Ive also expressed my disintrest in seeing a post-MGS4 game with these characters bc they all, especially Raiden got fitting resolutions. No need to undo that and they had a story to tell with him in the 2-4 gap

Im also guessing not much has been done with Rising (or at least it was scrapped)if they can just drastically alter the story mid-production and that doesnt seem to bode well. Changing the timeline is a huge difference as far as writing the character and story

Well lets give these guys a chance to at least try explaining this story with their in depth background video on Monday to see if Kojima Productions did a good job or not with the story.

I feel they've made enough great games they deserve that. Kojima himself along with the other guys at Kojima production are in charge of the story and cutscenes both cinematic & in game. I feel they've at least earned for people to give it a chance is all I'm saying.

On paper this should be awesome, playing as a robot ninja, cutting down anything in your path. But when I watch the trailer it just leaves me cold. It reminds me quite a bit of vanquish (which I wasn't really a fan of).

On paper this should be awesome, playing as a robot ninja, cutting down anything in your path. But when I watch the trailer it just leaves me cold. It reminds me quite a bit of vanquish (which I wasn't really a fan of).
Ditto. I hated Vanquish and the gameplay there

I agree. I thought his ending was fitting. I was really looking forward to the original script set between 2 and 4.

This is another concern for me. The original script took 10 months to write. When it was sent to PG, they scrapped the entire thing and wrote a new one in only 2 months. I'll keep an open mind, but that is a red flag to me this far into development.

I don't know how I'm feeling on this game story wise. Raiden has gone bat**** insane and it's set post MGS 4 and the world still in the toilet, which in effect, nullifies the whole story to me.

Knowing that it takes place after MGS4, Id rather it be some non canon "what if" scenario so I can just ignore its impact on Raiden's arc and conclusion from MGS4

There will never be peace, peace in the real world is a lie... so, I'm cool with my game worlds continuing the downward trend.

I said in the Revengence thread that this trailer made me eat my words about Raiden. I never cared for the dude... but he looks like a legit bad ass in the trailer. I also hope he goes by Ripper... drop the stupid Raiden code name as I've never liked that.

I'm more pumped for this than I ever was before.

I think the thing is you've gotta look at this as a spin-off now, and not the true 'next-gen' entry in the Metal Gear series it was originally advertised to be.

Raiden will be a carbon copy of Vanquish's Sam, he's going to be ordered about by the goons in his earpiece and make cheesy jokes to them all game, the villains will be too campy (even for a Metal Gear game), and it will be a glorious, over-exaggerated celebration of the series. Like playing 4 on speed or something.

You've gotta just throw hopes for the script out of the window. This is a Platinum Games' production; did you see how Vanquish ended? "This... is the end of my presidency." We've had plenty of serious Metal Gears, and now that the franchise is on a cool down, why not have some fun with it?

Crucially, we already know the game will have a fantastic combat system thanks to Bayonetta. It's a shame we won't see that 'cut everything' gameplay but my guess is the design team ran into some real problems with that promise and had to scale back.

Right as if everything was going to be "happily ever after". Big Boss even tells Old Snake that war is something that will never end. Conflict never ends. While Solid Snake is no longer a seed of war that doesn't necessarily that it's over for Jack.

The Snake saga is over and hopefully that isn't really tampered with. I think that's what a lot of fans are maybe fearing. I also hope that Solid Snake was left to be in peace for his final years he had on this earth and they don't retrofit him with a cyborg body or something heinous like that. If that happens then I'll say that the story is going to the trash.

Until we get more info (on Monday) about what exactly lead to the events in the trailer we saw it's to early to declare the story a success or a failure.

I am surprisingly comfortable with the way Rising looks.

There will never be peace, peace in the real world is a lie... so, I'm cool with my game worlds continuing the downward trend.

I said in the Revengence thread that this trailer made me eat my words about Raiden. I never cared for the dude... but he looks like a legit bad ass in the trailer. I also hope he goes by Ripper... drop the stupid Raiden code name as I've never liked that.

I'm more pumped for this than I ever was before.

This.

I'll never understand some people... and I'm not talking just about these forums but "*****ing" in general. All I've seen for a few months is "I hope Rising changes things up a bit" or "adds new life to the Metal Gear franchise" and when it looks like it's going to change things up (why, btw... can't there be more than one genre in the Metal Gear Universe than just stealth?) people complain about it...

One of the biggest complaints I've been reading about is the fact that Raiden flips a big ol' Metal Gear Ray (I think it's a Ray?) all by himself... I wonder if some of those people are forgetting that this is the same dude that stopped a friggin' tanker all by himself... He also took out a crap ton of F.R.O.G.S with a sword in his mouth.

MGS has never been "realistic" to me... even MGS3, which was the most "grounded" was out there.

I was never a big Raiden fan... Ever. This trailer made me like the guy... I know I won't be skipping it.

I think the thing is you've gotta look at this as a spin-off now, and not the true 'next-gen' entry in the Metal Gear series it was originally advertised to be.

Rising never seemed to be the true "next-gen" entry to me. If anything.. from the get go it seemed like they were trying to make this a spin off.

Maybe Kojima didn't like the direction Rising was going and scrapped it. He's not an idiot... He did it this way for a reason. Dude never seems to want to step away from the directing chair even after proclaiming time and time again that he's "ready" to step down. Has to be a reason for that...

Maybe his team has zero confidence without him steering the ship...So he handed off the reigns to someone else?

Last edited:
I really don't like the setting. At all. But, so far, it seems to be shaping up rather, well differently. I hope it's like MGS4 where you can sneak or run out all swords blazing.

Rising never seemed to be the true "next-gen" entry to me. If anything.. from the get go it seemed like they were trying to make this a spin off.

Maybe Kojima didn't like the direction Rising was going and scrapped it. He's not an idiot... He did it this way for a reason. Dude never seems to want to step away from the directing chair even after proclaiming time and time again that he's "ready" to step down. Has to be a reason for that...

Maybe his team has zero confidence without him steering the ship...So he handed off the reigns to someone else?

I think Kojima once said in an interview about both this and PW that, while PW was the MGS5 in him, Rising would probably be considered the real next Metal Gear. So that's where I got that sort of idea from I guess.

Anyway, yeah, it's hell'a interesting isn't it?

Yeah, I want to see where this goes. I fully believe we'll get an actual MGS5 (be it another prequel or sequel) but I'm cool if the Raiden/Ripper series is it's own thing inside the same universe.

In regards to what Kojima said... I read that as well. I think he meant that Rising would probably be considered the "real" next Metal Gear because it's on a home console and not a portable. That also was before everything changed... Something wasn't going down right... I mean, before we all start jumping to conclusions about the script or whatever else we need to take a deep breath... Kojima obviously saw something we didn't/will never see.

I think the developer switch is obvious proof that Kojima didn't like the direction the game was going. I want to find out why, lol.

Exactly.

Kojima is the one who has been going through different directors like toilet paper for this project. Obviously he didn't quite think it was going as he envisioned.

Here's a cool article that clears a few things up.

Kojima Productions has been clearing up some rumors and misconceptions regarding Metal Gear Rising Revengeance following the game's unveiling earlier today.
First off, a rumor that quickly surfaced after the game's unveiling: Rising is a proper sequel in the Metal Gear Solid saga. This, according to the Kojipro official Twitter, is not the case. "We've only said that the period setting is several years after MGS4. Metal Gear Rising is not part of the Metal Gear Solid series. At present, we can't say more than this."

Rising was also the main subject of the latest Hideraji podcast, with producer Yuji Korekado sharing a few additional details about the project. Here's some of what was discussed based off a summary of the broadcast that's making the rounds (I haven't given the broadcast a listen for myself, so my translation is second hand -- there may be a few differences when you hear the official English background story via a video that will be released on the 13th).

The original Rising was announced as a game where you can chop up anything. The development staff quickly created just that. However, they felt that this alone would be insufficient.

The original Rising got to the point where the staff no longer knew what the core of the game should be. At some point, Kojima said that the project probably would not be able to be completed. However, the staff insisted that it could be done. In the end, they cancelled the project. At this point, they'd already fleshed out many areas outside of the game design component, like the story and the motion capture.

One day, Kojima learned that members of Platinum Games had come to the Kojima Productions studio.
Platinum said that it's unfortunate that the game was in a half done state. They were excited about the project that they took over.

Platinum suggested the concept of "a game where it feels so good to chop things up that you would die" (I think my translation may be weird here -- "It's so good that you die" is just a Japanese way of saying it's amazingly good.)

The title was changed because the game is different from the Metal Gear Solid series. It's a new Metal Gear.

Hideki Kamiya is not the game's director. The director will be announced later.
When restarting the project, they were originally going to use the original story. After Platinum received the data from Kojima Productions, they said they wanted to remake the story.
http://andriasang.com/comzba/mg_rising_details/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"