• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

Well there are companies that won't agreed to be bought. I do think Square Enix has a price.

Now if Sony makes an offer, and they refuses and then that would confirm they can't be bought.

Well there are companies that won't agreed to be bought. I do think Square Enix has a price.

Now if Sony makes an offer, and they refuses and then that would confirm they can't be bought.
up until now I don't Sony really cared about acquiring them since they kept making these exclusivity deals, but now that they've announced that they won't do it anymore maybe Sony will be incentivized to acquire them.

Or Sony could simply buy Square Enix. Sony plans to buy Paramount Global, so they have the money to buy Square Enix.
Probably would have been a good fit but I doubt they would want to buy anyone significant while the Paramount deal attempt is still going on.

Pretty safe pics for Sony but I really was expecting someone more younger. Herman seems like a good guy don’t know much about Nishino hopefully they can course correct for Sony and make good business decisions

Not much of a surprise with Hulst. On some other forums they seem to think that means more sway towards pc and live service. Hopefully Nishino turns out to be good, I don't know anything about him.

I guess the big headline is that they've split the CEO role into a software/entertainment CEO (Hulst) and a hardware/platform CEO (Nishino).

Hulst is CEO of the newly named Studio Business Group, which includes all of PlayStation’s first-party teams, plus covers the development of PlayStation IP onto other mediums, such as TV and film.
Hideaki Nishino will lead the Platform Business Group, which includes console hardware, technology, accessories, PlayStation Network and third-party relations (covering major publishers and indie studios).

Last edited:
If they are actually offered with the right amount of money, I can't see why. :ps:

Plain simple, a Japanese company cannot do the kind of layoffs such a buyout kind of requires. Its why a lot of Sony and Squeenix's mass layoffs target non Japanese developers.

I guess if you put it that way, but I do think the desire to be sold also plays a part. Microsoft has all the money in the world and Nintendo laughed at them when the former came to them about an acquisition.

Yeah, there is also a slight different corporate culture in Japan than in the US. To be frank, Squeenix may not want to sell because they don't want to destroy Squeenix.

Square Enix selling to Sony by itself won't fix their problem that their games aren't generating enough sales while being stuck on one console.

I hope there will be more blockbuster single player games from 2026 and onwards. I want to see brand new ips alongside the traditional sequels for their big ips. Hopefully its not live service/rogue-like/souls-like.

This year, Sony doesn't have a 1st party game as huge as Spider-Man 2 or Horizon 2. Next year, it doesn't seem that way too. Wolverine is still years away. Rise of the Ronin/Stellar Blade/Final Fantasy are third party games and don't really appeal to me as games. Helldivers 2, their most successful 1st party game this year is a live service game, so its not really comparable to something like Spider-Man, God of War and The Last of Us. :ps:

I feel like the last few years of Ps4 (2016-2020) before the Ps5 was launched was incredibly fun compare to the 2020-2024 era of the PS5, when they had so many groundbreaking single player games that were defining Playstation games. I remember when the new Spider-Man and God of War game came out in 2018, they felt so revolutionary compare to the ip's previous games. Their ps5 sequel isn't as groundbreaking in comparison. Horizon 2 as well compare to the 1st game. I also find games like Days Gone more interesting to play than something like Returnal. The lack of a new Naughty Dog game is also concerning.

5-7 Years...does the industry really not see how messed up that is?
A Console Cycle is roughly 10 years...this is not a good way to do stuff.

Like, this industry needs to look at why these games take so long to make and adapt.
5-7 years for a game with a huge budget that most likely ends up not making that back, ending up destroying the studio...that is not good.

I take smaller and shorter games if that means more heart and creativity is in them and they dont take half a console cycle to make.

Yeah, there is also a slight different corporate culture in Japan than in the US. To be frank, Squeenix may not want to sell because they don't want to destroy Squeenix.
I don't think SE would destroy themself just by selling, especially not to another Japanese company. Sony has been laying off employees too, but it's not like their acquisitions lead directly to that.
Dang...with how high the Ps5 was in demand during the pandemic, I was sure that the console was gonna continue breaking record sales. Instead, it looks like it may start to struggle.

It's overdue for a price cut, anyway.

The sales of the PS5 was obviously frontloaded. 60 million-ish when it turns 4 this year isn't bad. It has about 4 more years before the PS6 is launched, or even 5 to 6 years, since Xbox is no longer a threat, that they won't have the pressure to release their next console as soon as possible.

Maybe 90 to 100 million by 2028? Initially, I didn't think the Ps5 was gonna outsold the Ps4. I'm not happy to be right with that, but it just seemed obvious as Ps4 really sold a lot of copies and had a lot of exclusives that helped the sales. :ps:

if I'm understanding this correctly, the Ps5 outsold the Series X/S 5 to 1 in January, February, and March of 2024

dang, that blows. Demon's Souls was critically acclaimed, so I feel like it makes perfect sense for Sony to have them work on another Souls game after that. maybe even a Demon's Souls 2, if they feel like doing a Bloodborne 2 wouldn't be right. but that goes back to what I was saying before with FromSoftware still just cranking out similar games. Sony could just go to them for another deal to make a sequel.

It would be expensive, but seeing how Souls games have become mainstream, the likelihood of Bloodborne 2 outselling the first game should be much higher.

To be clear I was referring to that a remaster of Bloodborne isn't likely due to that. An original game could still technically mean a sequel in the franchise, although I don't consider that the likeliest guess either.

outside of rereleases, I get the impression that their next priority will be tlou3. if they are working on a fantasy game, it's probably something in its early stages. there is supposed to be a playstation showcase soon, and I doubt we'll see ND there at all.

Yup, we're in agreement.

To be clear I was referring to that a remaster of Bloodborne isn't likely due to that. An original game could still technically mean a sequel in the franchise, although I don't consider that the likeliest guess either.

Yup, we're in agreement.
An original game would definitely mean a sequel in the franchise, be it Demon's Souls 2 or Bloodborne 2. I don't think it's the likeliest guess either, but I do think that if Sony would go for it, it would be a project for Bluepoint.

It's such easy money, but fans love playing old favourites on recent hardware. Star Wars games in particular have plenty of options left to dig up. I'm all for it.

This reads like "We paid too much for Bungie and learnt our lesson".

It's such easy money, but fans love playing old favourites on recent hardware. Star Wars games in particular have plenty of options left to dig up. I'm all for it.

This reads like "We paid too much for Bungie and learnt our lesson".
that's a dope new avatar you got there

5-7 Years...does the industry really not see how messed up that is?
A Console Cycle is roughly 10 years...this is not a good way to do stuff.

Like, this industry needs to look at why these games take so long to make and adapt.
5-7 years for a game with a huge budget that most likely ends up not making that back, ending up destroying the studio...that is not good.

I take smaller and shorter games if that means more heart and creativity is in them and they dont take half a console cycle to make.
Totally agreed. I think 8 years should be the max for a generation or you are sitting on such old tech by the end of it. With that, a one franchise studio would release only one of these big games a generation. A 2 franchise studio only one very 2 gens and the worst, Bethesda a life age of the earth between Elder Scrolls, Fallout and now Starfield mainline games.

Part of the problem is fans acting with such disdain when a game is revealed to be shorter (like Hellblade 2, and even if priced less to reflect that) that studios probably feel they need games to be huge timesinks and waste many more resources making that happen. At the present rate there are only a handful of entries in many favourite franchises people of my age are likely to see while they are still alive/healthy enough to play.

Dang...with how high the Ps5 was in demand during the pandemic, I was sure that the console was gonna continue breaking record sales. Instead, it looks like it may start to struggle.

It's overdue for a price cut, anyway.
Yeah, the pandemic very much skewed the numbers for all stats relating to gaming and other hobbies that could easily be carried out without leaving the house. Unfortunately we are back to the harsh reality that the console userbase hasn’t grown since the PS2 and while there are more sources of revenue like DLC, microtransactions, fees for playing online etc, the time commitment and costs are so much higher to make games.

When a studio like Insomniac that is contributing the most to Sony’s success this gen (IMO) still sees layoffs in the middle of that success it’s evident that things are going to be tough across the board.

Yeah, the pandemic very much skewed the numbers for all stats relating to gaming and other hobbies that could easily be carried out without leaving the house. Unfortunately we are back to the harsh reality that the console userbase hasn’t grown since the PS2 and while there are more sources of revenue like DLC, microtransactions, fees for playing online etc, the time commitment and costs are so much higher to make games.

When a studio like Insomniac that is contributing the most to Sony’s success this gen (IMO) still sees layoffs in the middle of that success it’s evident that things are going to be tough across the board.
it truly is quite awful. a few months ago I was under the impression that console gaming is alive and well, but at this point maybe it really is the beginning of the end.

FFS7Rebirth should have sold more. it's a huge franchise, it's critically acclaimed...why aren't more people buying it? Sony should be treating it like a first party title otherwise why pay a huge amount for exclusivity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"