Days of Future Past The Official Rose Byrne/Moira MacTaggert Thread

BMM

Superhero
Reaction score
I could have sworn we had a thread for her, but I guess not. Anyway, here are Byrne's answers to fan questions, regarding her role as Dr. Moira MacTaggert in First Class.

In the comics Moira MacTaggert has been the love interest of both Charles Xavier and Sean Cassidy (Banshee) Are these relationships explored in the script?

We explore the relationship of Moira and Charles but not with Banshee - at least not yet!

Moira didn't have the accent in Last Stand, so I can only assume she won't be having it in First Class?

No, Matthew Vaughn was adamant she be American - despite James McAvoy's slight disappointment as he is Scottish.

Will we get a chance to see Muir Island?

Sadly no, not in this installment.

Were you a little jealous that your character is the only one of the main characters without superpowers?

I was not when we were shooting as I didn't have to get picked up at 2:30am like Jennifer Lawrence. But I am sure I will suffer post-traumatic mutant envy when I see Angel being able to fly.

What type of preparation and research did you do to prepare for your role as Dr. MacTaggert?

I researched the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the CIA in 1962 as this is when the film is set. Production organized a brilliant X-Men expert to come and talk to us when we wanted. He came with a folder 20 pounds heavy with every comic and known fact on Moira McTaggert collated so I devoured that as well.

Are we going to see Moira really involved at Xavier's school? Perhaps as a teacher or creator of Cerebro?

We will see - I hope so. She truly devoted her entire life to the cause so it would only make sense.

Dr. MacTaggert is a unique, strong, yet powerless human in a world full of mutants. What was your favorite part about playing her?

Her fashion sense…kidding. It was great to play the role of a true female pioneer in a time when misogyny was alive and well and to play someone so devoted and passionate about the mutant community - a cause that stands as a great metaphor - that we can all co-exist peacefully and progressively.

Despite the uproar over nationality Rose Byrne In scenes look quite similar to classic
Moira.Despite not having an accent I think besides that It will be a good adaptan from
Comics to films

They should overdub her voice with a Scottish accent ASAP. Matthew, don't be stupid.

What type of preparation and research did you do to prepare for your role as Dr. MacTaggert?

I researched the Cold War, the Cuban Missile Crisis and the CIA in 1962 as this is when the film is set. Production organized a brilliant X-Men expert to come and talk to us when we wanted. He came with a folder 20 pounds heavy with every comic and known fact on Moira McTaggert collated so I devoured that as well.

All that effort and they miss out the important bit...she's Scottish! :cmad:

All that effort and they miss out the important bit...she's Scottish! :cmad:

I know, but I'm not surprised. I mean Banshee isn't Irish in this movie, so why should Moira get the special treatment? Also, is it just me or did the X-men movies in general seem to stamp out most non-American aspects? Or is it just accents that stray from the standard American? Didn't the guy who played Gambit have to insist on at least doing a slight accent? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Olivia Williams DID have a slight accent in the X3 scenes she was in...

I wouldn't have thought it would hurt to have Rose give a slight accent in here too, but...Whatevs.

Pyro wasn't Australian in the movies either.

That bugs me whenever I watch X2 and X3.

I think Rose looks great so far as Moira, I wish they'd kept her original accent a little though. I'm sure she'll do a fantastic job regardless, and the movie as a whole looks very exciting so far.

I'm thinking, and the same may go for Pyro, that ever since the whole response from X1 and Storm's accent, I guess they figured, if they can't pull off the accent perfectly, they might as well just speak in their normal accent or be American.

I don't actually mind that Moira is an American in First Class.

I bet it wouldn't have been too hard for some random guy to teach that extra how to say, "sorry" in an Aussie accent. :p

They should overdub her voice with a Scottish accent ASAP. Matthew, don't be stupid.

Not a bad idea, in fact, I wish they'd do an ultimate fan edition of all the films and give all the characters a dub of their natural accents. To be honest I was quite shocked to hear Nightcrawler actually speaking in GERMAN in X2, and that is a sad thing.

But i am thankful. Now if only they'd do that for the rest of the characters. Lol, I actually had a dream the other night that Banshee showed up in a scene knocking on someone's door and spoke Irish. If only...

Sorry, I'm sure the actors give it their all, and I don't always blame them for their characters being converted in yanks, it's just, it quite honestly bores me to watch a film thats supposed to be full of international characters, all rendered to Americans.

They could've at least said that her parents are scottish but they moved to the US hence she doesn't have the accent (or something like that)

That might be the way to do it...It's similar to how they threw in a Russian flag into Pete/Colossus' room. Just for kicks.

They could've at least said that her parents are scottish but they moved to the US hence she doesn't have the accent (or something like that)
Her first name is MOIRA and her last name is MACTAGGERT. I think it's pretty obviously that she's Scottish, even if she doesn't have an accent. No need for forced dialog about her parents to say so.

Well, whether it's forced or not will be based on the context. It could actually turn out to move the plot.

It would be nice if these movies didn't make everyone American and remove their accents. Part of the revival in the 70s that made the series popular was that it used characters from all around the world yet these films keep making everyone American.

Not a horrible tragedy, but it's just annoying.

Yeah--whoever reboots the X-Men franchise, I hope they don't deviate from the true portrayals of the characters' nationalities and what we have pictured in our mind(s) that these characters should sound like based on their backstories.

They got away with a lot of it on the basis that we never saw the backstory for a lot of these characters, like with Storm and Pyro...

I'm actually not that bothered with most of the characters not having accents. I might get some flack for this but i would imagine it would be kinda annoying with everyone speaking with different intonations, dialects, and their signature lines (oh my stars and garters, ma chere, etc.).

I'm actually not that bothered with most of the characters not having accents. I might get some flack for this but i would imagine it would be kinda annoying with everyone speaking with different intonations, dialects, and their signature lines (oh my stars and garters, ma chere, etc.).
Nah, it's not the same thing we're talking here. I mean, look at Rogue. They made Anna Paquin have an accent in the first movie and she wasn't saying, "sugah" or "hot potatah" or anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"