The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

All New X-Men 20 - I liked this issue for the most part, but I fail to see why Bendis needs two titles dealing with this group. I suppose Uncanny is dealing with the core X-Men team lead by Cyclops while All New X-Men is focusing on the O5 and Kitty (as it has since the beginning really)... but still, that seems overkill.

I like that Laura is joining the team, and I'm curious how that all plays out. The random revelation that Cyclops (current) has a thing for Laura is weird... though as an early-30s male, I understand how the mind still finds older teens/younger 20s attractive. As long as he isn't banging her, then it's fine. As for the plot, it's pretty basic. Laura joins Kitty and the O5 to track down the Purifiers. The Purifiers are now led by the son of William Stryker who seems to have powers of some sort. We'll find out more about that next issue.

Decent issue. Not good or bad, just decent. Not digging Peterson's art. Immonen needs to come back. Oh, and yet again another misleading cover.
I just read this and my take was that Laura likes the 05 Cyke, not the current one. :) He's the one who followed her out to the snow and tried to hug her.

Yes, but Jean mentions earlier in the issue that older Cyclops has a thing for her (or something like that... I don't have the issue handy).

I musta missed that......

Yes, but Jean mentions earlier in the issue that older Cyclops has a thing for her (or something like that... I don't have the issue handy).

whoa, where'd you get that from JewHobbs? The line was (after young Scott says "I'll go talk to her") "A girl that Scott Summers quite fancies". There's no indication that Jean doesn't mean their Scott, who's the only Scott in the issue.

Cyclops likes Laura because of all that unresolved sexual tension he's had with Wolverine over the years. :oldrazz:

Well maybe I read it wrong, but it didn't feel to me like she was talking about young Scott.

whoa, where'd you get that from JewHobbs? The line was (after young Scott says "I'll go talk to her") "A girl that Scott Summers quite fancies". There's no indication that Jean doesn't mean their Scott, who's the only Scott in the issue.
That's what I was thinking before.......

Cyclops likes Laura because of all that unresolved sexual tension he's had with Wolverine over the years. :oldrazz:
Hee hee.. that would make an interesting fanfic....

I'm so behind on my comics right now, got like 3 or 4 weeks I need to catch up on

I only get but one or two a week these days. I can keep up. :p

Massive week as everyone wants to get comics in before Christmas. I actually forgot YOUNG AVENGERS #14, which may say a lot. I will nab it next week. Spoilers ahoy.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 12/18/13:

BLOODHOUND: CROWBAR MEDICINE #3: To be honest, picking a top comic for this week was a more difficult chore than usual not only due to the sheer volume of comics available this week, but the amount of genuinely good comics from not only Dark Horse Comics but also Image Comics and Marvel Comics. It came down to a choice between roughly three or four comics, and in the end "Bloodhound" won out due to personal fondness for this wonderfully revived franchise from roughly eight years back as well as a dash of luck in terms of the complicated statistical manner chosen as a tiebreaker ("Eenie meanie miney mo"). Frankly, this brilliant series by Dan Jolley, Leonard Kirk, Robin Riggs and Moose Baumann is always worthy of spotlight and attention.

Ex-cop, ex-con superhuman profiler Travis "Clev" Clevenger and his partner and "handler", FBI agent Saffron Bell may be involved in the most dangerous case of their career - which is a feat as their tenure together has hardly been a bed of roses. After yet another incident with someone with superhuman powers yielded a high body count (despite Bell and Clev's intervention), Dr. Bradly Morgenstern has developed a process to create more of them at will, and has gone on TV offering it only to those who prove themselves "worthy" by him. Thus has naturally sparked a massive investigation by the U.S. military as well as the FBI, putting the pair in with the overly hostile General Wayne. The investigation of Dr. Morgenstern has barely begun when a masked man named Terminus made his presence know, taking Clev down as well as a squad of soldiers. Yet as people begin to receive this new process and attempt to combat crime or other perceived social maladies, public opinion on the situation continues to split. All the while, Bell comes to terms with a long term romance while Clev continues to act as an adopted "uncle" with the family of his dirty ex-partner whose death sent Clev to prison - and getting closer to the man's widow. Unfortunately, an innocent trip to a mall to unwind with his new family turns tragic when one of Dr. Morgenstern's newest patients' attempt to stop a crime causes explosive results.

This is a quieter issue than the last, but that only serves to highlight the quality of Jolley's writing as well as Kirk's art. While Clev is built like a wrestler, and tends to irritate anyone who works alongside him (or bars his way), but he also has a sensitive side as well as a keen mind for examining details of a case that his bulky side betrays. As for Bell, it becomes obvious here that she is slowly but surely becoming more attached to Clev on a more than professional level, which will complicate his new adoptive family life quite a bit. The issue's pyromaniac, Perry Colvin, also gets embellished so one sees that he's hardly a monster, but a desperate, powerless man who gets in over his head trying to do a good deed after being whipped up in a climate of fear. Kirk's artwork is also terrific as always, as is evidenced right from the cover. He is adapt at drawing "comic book" style things such as burly men and people with super powers, but he also is hardly an artist who makes all his characters, especially female ones, look different. Clev has scars, none of his female characters are perfect models and in fact the lady on the cover is hardly the type as is typical of the average "X-Men" or "Justice League" cover.

The bottom line is that the past year and change have seen a resurgence of well crafted and well selling creator owned series from third party competitors, and Dark Horse is not one to rest on its laurels after being set to loose their hit "Star Wars" license next year. They're forging ahead with quality material from the past and present, and "Bloodhound" is no exception. A franchise left for dead by DC Comics now has a new home, and it's as if it never left the stands. One hopes we see more than five issues of this terrific and hard hitting series.

BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE #5: DC Comics' reprint anthology of their great "Beyond" digital comics continues to offer great new stories based (loosely) on the continuity of the Bruce Timm produced cartoons from roughly 1992-2006. Kyle Higgins and artist Thony Silas continue with the main "Batman Beyond" strip and have set up a fascinating status quo now that Terry McGinnis is starting college. He's working alongside a middle aged Dick Grayson rather than the harshly paranoid Bruce Wayne, and on the outs with Dana Tan despite having shared his secret of being Batman with her. After foiling a scheme by the former mayor's insane son, Batman now has to deal with a threat from the previous Dark Knight's past - an older but still very dangerous Man-Bat. The secondary strip is "JLU" by writer Christos Gage and artist Iban Coello seems to continue to focus on the adventures of the Justice League of the year 2041, even though it does seem as if Gage has chosen Superman as a focal point. The previous arc centered around his enemies and heritage and this one once again chooses one of his rogues for the rest of the team to fight. They also have the son of Superman's nemesis Jox-Ur to raise, a young Kryptonian named Zod. There is tension as Warhawk doesn't trust the kid, but that has to wait as a crisis emerges. Both stories mix great artwork with skilled use of animated continuity that is more well known than anything the "New 52" produces and extends upon it for creative and entertaining ends. Few comics offer as much for four dollars as this always does.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #29: IDW Comics' brilliant relaunch of the core TMNT comic universe which mingles the best of the past with modern innovation forges ahead with its great continuity, once again paying homage to its roots. In the original Mirage series, the Turtles as well as their human allies Casey and April fled a grueling ordeal from the Foot for life in the country for some time ("TMNT #11-18", circa 1987-1989). This arc is the spiritual ancestor of that as the Turtles, Splinter, Casey, and April drive up to Northampton, where her parents have an abandoned farm and house in the country. After last month's climatic war between the Turtles' forces and those masterminded by the Shredder, the city is no longer safe for them and they all need to recover physically, spiritually, and emotionally. Their unique family has been shattered by violence despite many of them being reincarnated ninja mutants, and this issue offers a lot of drama and conflict despite the change in setting and the softer tone. Longtime writers Tom Waltz and Kevin Eastman continue to be joined in plotting duties by Bobby Curnow, while regular colorist Ronda Pattison is paired with incoming artist Ross Campbell. Campbell had been primed to draw a "TMNT" series years back when Dark Horse was incredibly close to getting the license, and has since drawn for their "micro-series". His work on the main series is among his strongest yet as we get to meet April's parents as well as former enemy Alopex is added to their cast. Leonardo has perhaps some of the most to deal with, as he's spent weeks brainwashed by the Foot and is hardly the leader he used to be - a brilliant move to prevent him being "boring". In addition, the seemingly quiet O'Neils hint of their own secrets from the past. With beautiful artwork and some great characterization, this issue proves that one doesn't need ninjas and rooftops to make the series enjoyable as well as makes hay of the consequences of everyone's actions. Now is the time for "best of" lists and many will omit TMNT, much to their detriment.

SAGA #17: Creators and collaborators Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples finish this out 2013 with just about the best and most action packed climax they could produce. After several issues in flashback, the events circle back to the events of the thirteenth issue. Prince Robot IV has tracked the intergalactic fugitive couple Marko and Alana (and their half-breed daughter Hazel, ghostly babysitter Izabel and paternal grandmother) to the home of cyclops author Oswald Heist, whose romance novel inspired their marriage. The situation can't seem to get more tense, until the arrival of Marko's ex fiance Gwen causes everything to become violent chaos. Two major characters seem to bite it as a new "freelancer" bounty hunter, "The Brand", introduces himself with much flair. This series is bold, mature, and elegant as well as thought provoking at every turn without bogging itself down in the techno-babble that many space operas get mired in. Unlike "TMNT", "Saga" will make most critics' "best of" lists for the year, and it absolutely deserves to. The writer behind such gems as "Y: The Last Man" and "Ex Machina" may be crafting in this a "Saga" which surpasses both of them, alongside artwork so lovely that even violence looks more elegant than it should. Full of imagination and above all, humanity, "Saga" is sure to be among the best comics of this new decade.

DAREDEVIL #34: After much panic online upon word that this series would "end" in February, it is a relief to know that writer Mark Waid's already legendary run on this series is not going to end; it will merely be relaunched with a fresh number one, a new setting, and a new artist. Javier Rodriguez both draws and colors the issue alongside him, with Alvaro Lopez on inks as Daredevil and ex- D.A. Kirsten McDuffie take on the insidious "sons of the serpent" cabal head on. Having traveled south to obtain the mystical roots of the racist super villain collective, the "man without fear" decides to let McDuffie in on his world to get her aid in forcing the snakes to reveal themselves. Once again, Waid seems to have his finger on the pulse of the times in a way people used to rave about Ed Brubaker's "Captain America" for in a tale which lays the evils of prejudice and corruption bare. The last half of the issue is literally preachy, but the weight of the story justifies it as well as many scenes of levity to split up the tension. Rodriguez has filled in on art before and as always he makes it hard to miss Chris Samnee, which is an incredible task. This remains one of Marvel Comics' best superhero comics available and while the inevitable hike in cove price will be a shame, it is wonderful that Waid will have more time with the world of the "man without fear".

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #17: Mark Waid's other major Marvel Comic lately, this new "Hulk" comic now offers yet another issue which takes part in a crossover. The events of "Infinity" have spread mutating mists across the globe, and mutations from explosions should be Bruce Banner's forte - only the rest of Marvel's resident geniuses (Iron Man, Beast, and Hank Pym) think he's too crazy to be trusted and butt in. This devolves into a chase between the heroes and the Hulk for Banner's device, which is shaped like a bomb and thus hasn't won over the heroes' concerns. Val Staples has the task of coloring the work of at least three artists for this production (Miguel Sepulveda and Clay & Seth Mann) while Waid continues on his plan to rehabilitate Banner's reputation as a genius in the Marvel Universe despite his reputation as the vessel for the Hulk, despite the fact that his peers usually distrust him. Waid is wise to play with some of the long lingering tensions from the "Planet Hulk" era, even if this series doesn't quite replicate the magic of his "Daredevil" run.

SCARLET SPIDER #25: Stick a fork in this series, it's done. Chris Yost shakes off needing a co-writer for this final issue of the second longest running "Amazing Spider-Man" spin off in recent years, starring the unlikely reformed clone Kaine as a reluctant hero of Texas. Dismissed when announced back in 2010, the fact that it has lasted over two years is a testament to the heart, imagination and energy Yost poured into the character and the cast he created around him. The rush to the finish line does show a bit of hurry, but the climax is ultimately satisfying and tragic in a way, as Kaine wins yet another battle, but loses the war as he repels virtually everyone around him with his monstrous true self. This causes the only Texan Marvel hero who is not dressed as a cowboy, Indian, or desert animal to flee the area in disgrace with the optimistic psychic Aracely tagging along to his annoyance. David Baldeon and Chris Sotomayor handle the artwork well, and beyond one regrettable typo it is as exciting and fitting a finale as one could expect, considering its star is set to reappear in "New Warriors" next year.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #24: Writers Dan Slott and Christos Gage continue the adventures of Dr. Octopus acting like a maniac in Spider-Man's body as the rest of his supporting cast slowly start to suspect that something is amiss only when the plot demands. This become far more blunt as Ock has decided against simply killing the Venom symbiote, but to don it himself after stripping it from ex-soldier Flash Thompson who'd been using it as a hero for some time. Despite the fact that in the previous issues the "superior" Spider-Man has executed someone on live TV and then led an army of minions and giant robots into Hell's Kitchen to a neighborhood shattering assassination attempt of someone else, it is only when he's wearing a black slime costume with nasty teeth that Spidey's ex wife, er, fiance Mary Jane seems to catch on that something is drastically wrong with the web-head. It is hard to raise the bar of extreme behavior for Spidey-Ock, but the fact that he's close to physically assaulting Aunt May is proof that the symbiote is pushing even Ock over the edge. Tension is high and artist Humberto Ramos has a lot of monsters and goblins to play with. This is a very suspenseful issue which promises a full on fight against the Avengers, even if Black Widow gets a dreadfully cliched line and one fears that the symbiote will be used as an excuse to stifle reasonable suspicion from the cast for another half year. Concerns for the future, however, don't negate from the fact that this issue has a lot going on, and all of it is nail biting.

UNCANNY AVENGERS #15: Steve McNiven becomes the latest regular artist for this title, flanked by three inkers and Laura Martin's colors as he does his best to illustrate a never ending "rapture" by Rick Remender which is so far off the rails it can barely see them. As always, there are many great moments; Wasp and Thor's battle against Sentry is a pleasure, while the Apocalypse Twins have some pointed words in a fight against Capt. America. But beyond it we have useless deaths of major characters which will no doubt be reversed as over the top events occur which other titles tend to ignore. The far spanning plot involving time travel and cosmic techno-babble is so complicated that not even Jonathan Hickman could keep track of it. One can feel Remender's zeal for the epic in this series and his unwillingness to play things safe, but lost in this shuffle is any heart, soul, or levity in a book which would feel right at home at DC Comics lately. At first envisioned as the flagship of the "Marvel NOW" line, it now is alone in its own sandbox and is often left behind by better fare.

Short week for everyone this week. Fond nostalgia made me excited to see an acetate cover for Origin II, but I passed on it anyway. I've come to the point in my comic collecting life that I don't really care about past stories. But I will probably eventually get the trade when it comes out in paperback.

Now, on to the two I did get.

Forever Evil 4 - I greatly enjoyed this issue and am loving this event. Luthor gets a softy moment with Subject B-Zero, who officially becomes Bizzaro this issue. It makes me want to go out and get the Villains month issue of Bizarro. We saw a while ago that Batman has boxes kept secret with means contained inside in case any of the Justice League members go bad. In this issue we get to see some of those items. In Green Lantern's box is a Yellow ring recovered after the Sinestro Corps War. He uses it against Power Ring to no avail, but it was a good idea. We're also shown a lightening rod of some sort that is supposed to stop Flash and a Mother Box that could maybe stop Cyborg. Being that those were shown, I'm assuming they'll come into play eventually. The only one that we aren't shown is Aquaman's, and I have a feeling that's being reserved for 2014's Seven Seas story.

We were shown a couple issues ago that Superwoman and Owlman have a thing on the side and that she is pregnant with his child. Well, this issue turns that on its head by Superwoman telling Ultraman it's his and then reveals to him Owlman's intentions of going against Ultraman. So she's playing both sides for reasons unknown thus far, though this week's Justice League issue might hint at a reason.

Outside of those stories we see Power Ring and some various villains including Deathstroke confronting Batman, Catwoman, and Luther's team. It's a quick deal, but it came to a very interesting cliffhanger that I was not expecting at all. Sinestro has entered the mix, and he does not seem very happy with this twisted version of Hal Jordan.

I really liked this issue. This event is one of the best I've read in a VERY long time, and I can't wait for more. This might be the first time that I'm actually sad an event ends. I want this status quo to just keep on going. I'm loving it.

Justice League 26 - This is another weird cover. It technically ruins the ending of Forever Evil 4, which made me excited because I suddenly realized (once I finished reading FE4) that Justice League must pick up where FE ended. No, it really has nothing to do with that at all.

The Grid is searching all technology with hopes of learning how to feel something (a thing that Victor did in their symbiotic relationship). So we look through his searches and see quick gloss overs of Power Ring's, Deathstorm's, Atomica's, and Johnny Quick's origins. When he goes to learn about Superwoman, the file is suddenly deleted and he learns nothing. Then it shows the masked captive and someone telling him "soon"... and then he smiles. So something tells me that this captive and Superwoman are working together, and a part of that plan is pitting Owlman and Ultraman against each other. A very interesting twist.

Oh, and the very last page reveals that Cyborg survives. The next issue should bring him back being that it's called Cyborg 2.0. I'm excited for that.

So yeah, good week as far as Forever Evil goes. No point in doing a best of the week since there are only two comic and they were both equally good in my opinion. So yeah :up:

I almost grabbed that alternate Origins cover myself, but it just wasn't worth the extra five bucks when I liked the original cover a little bit better. :)

Just one lone comic this week, and it's not even from this week; I just picked it up on December 24th, 2013.

YOUNG AVENGERS #14: Most comic book companies made sure to ship the lion's share of their comics around December 18th to keep this week light for customers and retailers to perhaps cut back to spend time with their families for this Christmas week. The next week to end 2013 will be fairly light as well. Fortunately, I actually forgot a comic book from December 18th, which means it got picked up and read this week.

Starting out a two issue arc, this is also the penultimate issue of this long awaited second volume of "Young Avengers" as an ongoing series. While its sales have slipped steadily since its debut in January, its end hasn't come due to an editors' cancellation notice, but writer Kieron Gillen stating that he feels he has come to an organic finale to his run on the franchise and he felt the sense to end on a high note. Marvel Comics have wisely chosen to honor this wish rather than stick on another writer and hope for the best; perhaps they learned the folly of this tactic when "Winter Soldier" sunk like a stone once Ed Brubaker left. The notion of keeping a comic book franchise in print for no other reason than it has been in print for X number of years is a new one in terms of historical fiction and often gets the "big two" in no end of problems. Considering Marvel once sat on a relaunch of "Thor" for some three years until finding a creator with a run worthy of reviving it (J. Michael Straczynski) caused sales to skyrocket with heightened demand, it is amazing how rarely the company seems to learn this lesson.

At any rate, this is actually the second issue of "Young Avengers" which shipped this month; the previous one kicked off December and resulted in the series' major climax. A space parasite which Billy Kaplan/Wiccan had accidentally summoned to their universe was finally defeated, and Loki's long term manipulation of the team of teens was finally revealed. However, this series has focused far more on emotional beats for its characters rather than the plot, as the plot was essentially an over the top metaphor of the "us vs. the adults" pressure which teenagers seem to feel as they come of age in every generation. To this end Wiccan and Hulkling solidified their relationship (despite the advances of ex-X-Men member Prodigy) while Noh-Varr and Kate Bishop have broken up, and former member Speed (Billy's oft neglected brother) was still missing.

The final arc of this series is aptly named, "Resolution", and if this series has done anything well, it has established Marvel's young heroes as being part of a community in a better manner than most other series tend to - especially since the cancellation of "Avengers Academy". The "Young Avengers" utilized social media to organize virtually every young hero who wasn't dead or busy in another book (such as "Avengers Arena") to aid in the massive battle for the previous two issues. Now the fight is over and its time to party; not just to celebrate the current triumph to save the world, but to celebrate being alive another year in a universe where young heroes are the ones who die and stay dead (while types like Capt. America, Wolverine, Thor, or Human Torch never do). Art for the issue is split between regular artist Jamie McKelvie and fill in artists Emma Viecelli ("Girl Comics", "Vampire Academy"), Christian Ward, and Annie Wu ("Batman Beyond Unlimited"). Each artist has a segment with a different set of characters whose style fits the tone.

Notable segments of this issue involve Wiccan, Hulkling, and Prodigy getting things straight with their relationship (or in the case of the latter, the lack thereof) as Miss America gives her own unique pep talk. Her own origins from another universe are also peeked at. Wu has the last (and best) segment where Marvel Boy and Kate get in some words about their ended relationship; most of the talking is done by Kate, and despite beginning as a random "hook up", she clearly is more hurt by it than Noh-Varr was. The end of the issue has Speed emerge from seeming randomness, and one hopes such a pivotal plot point will be embellished in the next (and last) issue. As always, it is fun to peek at all of the cameo appearances from characters such as Rockslide, Kid Gladiator, Pixie, Troll, or Lucy in the Sky.

To be blunt, this series has often been more about flash than substance. The plot is confusing at worst and simplistic at best, only ever serving as a motive to action and a metaphor to be expanded upon. Each issue usually is fun and has many notable moments, even if it is hard to remember much of it once the issues fade from memory - not unlike a party in itself. Yet it has often been full of imagination and utilized most of its characters well, along with doing heavy lifting in regards to creating a community of young Marvel heroes which barely existed before. Taking two issues to catch narrative breath and usher a series into a natural finish is a rare thing for Marvel Comics, but it is an appreciated exercise. 2014 will see the latest relaunch of "New Warriors" by Chris Yost which should offer more straight forward "teen superhero team comics", which after this series' run feels fresher than it did in years.

The Diamond list for next week is showing the All New X-men 22, but the 21 hasn't come out yet. Did I miss something?

I checked Marvel's site and it has #21 coming in the next couple weeks.

Diamond must have had the wrong issue number, lol.

I just bought my books for this week, and though it's January 2nd, they came out on December 31st. So this is officially my last review of the 2013 year. Six books, most of which I liked. Here we go.

New Avengers 13 - The only Marvel book I got this week. It's a good thing I don't buy things for this Inhumanity deal because I'd be really ticked off with this issue if I had. The only connection this title has to the Inhumanity thing... is none. We some some terregenesis on ANOTHER world (Earth 23099 to be exactly) and then the world is destroyed by the end of the story. Nothing to do with the story that began in Infinity 6. Marvel are such pathetic liars. It's one thing to have a cover not depict the interior (something that is also ridiculous) but to label specific comics with a heading and then have nothing of that story in the actual comic is just stupid.

Now, all that aside... the comic was just okay. Bianchi's art isn't bad, but it's a severe step down from Eaton and Deodato in my opinion. The story itself was also boring. I'm beyond bored of alternate realities to the point that I nearly passed on this issue on that idea alone. The gist is that we're seeing an alternate world's reaction to an incursion, seeing that there is an Illuminati over there as well trying to stop it. Well, they fail when the Black Priests show up (and boy do they really like their I's) and everyone dies so that we don't care at all about any of them or the world that just died.

As for the actual Illuminati, they sit around, talk to Black Swan, and build something to watch Incurions happening. So they tune in in time to watch Earth 23099 go kablooy. Oh, and Dr. Strange is apparently making some demonic deal or something.

Yeah, pretty disappointing issue. I'm on the fence with this title as it is. One or two more like this and I might drop this. I'm thinking about dropping it anyway, but I just really like the characters.

Flash 26 - This is a oneshot issue by Christos Gage and it was decent. Nothing phenomenal, but for a writer to come in and do a single issue before leaving, it was decent. It was fun and showed Flash using his powers in creative ways. The art was decent as well, though not as good as it usually is. Still Googe does a close enough job to the previous artist to make it not stand out.

All in all a decent issue. Not much to say about it. Enjoyable for a guest writing stint. I don't know what creative team is coming up on this title (as I'm only just now jumping on board after reading tons of back issues from Half Priced Books), but I hope they keep up the quality of the original creative team.

Aquaman 26 - Jeff Parker begins his run and it's off to a nice start. It's a bit soft following Johns' epic run, but Parker plants the seeds for his own story and I like what I see so far. Pelletier stays on pencils after Johns' departure and the title benefits from that. But for how great a fit Pelletier is for this title, the comic isn't as nice looking as it usually is. I don't know if he was rushed, if inking or coloring had something to do with it, or if he just had an off day. But still, it was decent enough to be enjoyable.

*I just looked through it again and realized that there are two artists, so that explains things.*

I like that the issue picks up from Johns' run smoothly, taking on the same beats so that the transition is smooth. I always get nervous when a new writer comes on, and this is one example when it looks like it will work. Hopefully Flash will follow suit. Aquaman and Mera are still facing adversary from both above and below as they try to rule Atlantis. New threats show up that could lead to some interesting stories. We'll see how it goes.

Batwoman 26 - Gosh... I just don't know. I love all the characters typically associated with this book, but I can't STAND the situation DC's put the readers in behind the scenes. Williams III started a story back in Batwoman 0 (technically pre-New52, but not a part of it) of a building conflict between Batwoman and Batman over her working with Bones' organization (which I'm blanking out on at the moment). It was a slow build, but we were getting a pretty awesome resolution. And then BLAM! DC goes and switches writers and the last two issues of the story goes untold. Now we get new writer Marc Andreyko telling a new story with the previous epic-long story unfinished, promised to be finished in the Annual which comes out in... wait for it... APRIL!

So because DC sometimes makes stupid decisions and ticks off their writers, we fans have to put a fantastic story on hold while buying another five issues of some new writer's take before even knowing how the previous story ends. And we aren't even getting the planned ending that's been building for two years. No, we're getting some new knockoff finale.

All this has made me jaded on this title. Not necessarily because of the marriage issues the title faces or even the changing of creative teams (I like Williams III as an artist but his storytelling needed some work). DC's treating of the final story and the fans who wanted it is what bothers me. Issue 25 was finished (or close to it I think) and only 26 needed written. They couldn't put aside their differences with Williams III like professionals for 1 month to finish out the story? They couldn't get Andreyko to pick up where they left off? Come on.

Well, after all that I went into this issue with a pretty crappy mentality and it deeply affected how the issue went. There are obligatory mentions of the wedding now being delayed for stupid reasons. Apparently they've decided to wait to get married until it's right for THEM, not anyone else. The problem with that is that it was ALWAYS for them. No one else has ever been brought into the plot. It's stupid reasoning that took me out of the comic from the second scene. That aside, the rest of the issue was pretty unspectacular. It wasn't bad, just kinda there. I love Kate and Bette, and I love the rest of the cast, so I will probably give this book another issue or two to keep me. But chances are, I won't fully enjoy it until that annual comes out... and it better be fulfilling. Haun's art was nice though.

Talon 14 - I was pretty disappointed with this issue. The title is winding down but I didn't really know when it was supposed to end. What I wasn't expecting was the long running plot to wrap up here. I actually thought Tynion IV was already off the book, but I see he wrote this issue, so maybe this was his last one, which would make sense of the wraps being wrapped up. Unfortunately, this ending felt rushed. The Gotham Butcher was awesome, and it was building nicely. Then he was just sorta defeated real quick. It was like Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. I'm glad to see that he lives through the issue though. Hopefully he'll return at some point. And lastly Casey... girl needs an eye patch.

Okay, not lastly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Batman, Incorporated disbanded? I thought it was shut down after Morrison's run ended. Didn't someone say that in a Batman issue somewhere? Maybe I dreamed that up, but that idea made the ending of the issue strange for me. Talon and his crew join Batman, Incorporated. I'm cool with it. I think it's cool. I just didn't think they still existed.

Justice League Dark 26 - Forever Evil: Blight part 6 of 18 (thanks add insert for helping me keep track). I'm really enjoying this event, though it's not as good as I was hoping. It's unfortunately paling in comparison to the core Forever Evil story, but I'm still enjoying it. And the art by Janin is always phenomenal.

Now as for the story, I enjoyed it a great deal. After getting a surprising visit by Deadman, the crew escapes Blight and goes on a quest to recover Deadman. Who they find instead is the Sea King... a.k.a. the evil Aquaman of the Crime Syndicate who died upon his arrival to Earth-2 at the end of Trinity War. They fight and manage to defeat him. In the end we learn that Deadman had jumped into the Sea King's dead body prior to the big ending of Trinity War. The problem is that he couldn't control the Sea King's body. Well, now he can. Unfortunately, Constantine pulled something and now Deadman is trapped in the Sea King's body. I'm curious how that plays out. I'm even more curious to see what happens next week in Phantom Stranger. This issue makes it look like he betrays everyone and joins Blight. This is obviously a ploy of some kind and I'm curious how it plays out.

So yeah, good issue. I'm enjoying the story and love Janin's art. I've always loved Dematteis--he's one of the first comic book writers I ever read--and I'm glad to see he's still writing just as good now as he was back in his Spidey days.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Justice League Dark - I always love this book. The only bad thing about it is the $1 increase since Trinity War. I still hate that.

Worst: New Avengers - This was genuinely just a big waste of money and a waste of an issue. The only semi-important thing to happen here is the creation of the machine that helps the Illuminati see incursions. That could have been done in a couple panels. The rest of it was useless.

No books for Squeeks this week. It always feels funny when I skip a week now and again because nothing came out for me, like it missed something. :(

I also got The Stuff of Legend Book 4: The Toy Collector in the mail today. I read and loved every second of it.

Seriously guys. Hunt down these trades and read them. This is the 4th volume out of 6. The 5th will begin sometime this year (though I'm not sure when). It's one of the most fulfilling reads of the year for me when I get a new one. I don't know how the single issues are, but the trades are absolutely gorgeous, and the art is some of the best in comics today.

And I hear Disney will be making a movie of it sometime soon. Can't wait for that.

cover.jpg

1soleg4.jpg

StuffOfLegend4.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that art is really great. :D I could see why you'd recommend them.

I also got The Stuff of Legend Book 4: The Toy Collector in the mail today. I read and loved every second of it.

Seriously guys. Hunt down these trades and read them. This is the 4th volume out of 6. The 5th will begin sometime this year (though I'm not sure when). It's one of the most fulfilling reads of the year for me when I get a new one. I don't know how the single issues are, but the trades are absolutely gorgeous, and the art is some of the best in comics today.

And I hear Disney will be making a movie of it sometime soon. Can't wait for that.

cover.jpg

1soleg4.jpg

StuffOfLegend4.jpg

Looks interesting - must check it out. You might like 'Kingdom of the Wicked' which has a similar kind of look. Great story and art http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdom-Of-...8784524&sr=8-6&keywords=kingdom+of+the+wicked

Last review of 2013, and it was another 1 book week.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 12/30/13:

SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN #7: Having constructed a "ten best of 2013" comic book list recently, this spin-off series to Dan Slott's "Superior Spider-Man" was always on the bubble for such a list; in the end it would have been number eleven. This series by Nick Spencer ("Morning Glories", "Secret Avengers") has often seemed like a super villains' version of "Hawkeye" in that it offers a look at some blue collar heist figures playing around in the wacky world of the Marvel Universe underworld. Most of the previous issues have focused on Fred Meyers/Boomerang, but this issue takes a different approach. In short, it is a standalone issue which offers the origin of the latest incarnation of the Beetle. She is Janice Lincoln, who as revealed last issue, happens to be the daughter of longtime superhuman gangster Lonnie Thompson Lincoln - a.k.a. Tombstone.

From the time she was a little girl, Janice seemed groomed towards crime. However, like most fathers, her dad wanted better for his daughter than what he had. So, while she begs him to help her become a costumed criminal, he insists she become a big shot lawyer for a major Manhattan firm. In Tombstone's words, "You'll steal more than I could ever dream of -- and the best part is, no one can eve arrest you for it!" Unfortunately, simple and legal white collar greed isn't enough for Janice, and she waits for her chance to fall into the costumed cartels of the Marvel Universe version of New York City. From stealing birthday presents as a kid to crippling college rivals as a young adult, she gets her chance when her law firm sends her to moderate a meeting between two members of the "Masters of Evil" - which soon leads to her chance at getting the gear she needs to make her mark.

Despite regular artist Steve Lieber being credited on the cover, fill in artist Rich Ellis actually handles the art for this issue. Considering this was the second issue to ship in December, it is a forgivable slight. Lee Loughridge provides the colors, and the pair do a great job of matching the tone of Lieber's artwork while still making their own mark. There is a lot of visual humor to these pages, from facial expressions to a look at Janice's daily life before meeting with the villains. While some viewers may take some offense at seeing Baron Zemo and Fixer depicted as a bickering couple, others will find it hilarious. Considering Janice is the newest character of the cast - newer even than Overdrive - such a summary of her life was essential.

This may be the sort of issue which grinds the story to a halt in terms of a long term arc which is collected in a graphic novel, but as a monthly issue provides a humorous breather and some much needed data on one of the most mysterious members of the cast. With sales being low, one can't bet on this series lasting much longer into 2014, but for the time being this cast of thieves and robbers often find themselves being easier to root for than "Superior Spider-Man" himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"