The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait why is Arsenal not a championship contender? Is there a team that has shown they will run away with this?

I don't think so, imo. I think we could be in with a good shot for nicking 3rd, but still feel we need a bit more to solidly challenge for either of the top two spots. Yeah, we desperately need a top striker, and I believe Wenger knows this and was trying to address it. We made three attempts to sign three top strikers this summer, and I feel he does want a top stirker, and this is why he went for Ba on loan as a stop gap, so he can get someone better in January or next summer.

It's a shame the Higuain deal didn't go through, who do you think is the next logical striker to go for?

The conspiracy theorists are now saying Jose strung us along and then pulled out at the last minute as he doesn't want to sell to a rival, and which also gave us no time to pursue someone else. Hopefully, Giroud doesn't pick up an injury and Podolski gets back soon, because I want to see to see that floater as little as possible this season before we can hopefully flush him away for good next summer.

Not a fan of Podolski? I'm interested to see how Giroud does this season, he has an opportunity to really step up and establish himself.

I think we may be ok at LB for now, but I do feel we need a top CB, top ST, maybe an out and out winger, and a better GK to compete with Szczesny.

You feel Gibbs is gonna develop into a top LB?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I would have thought someone like Mourinho or Pep would have been a more natural successor given the club's will to win and play attractive football. I can see why they went for Moyes in the sense that he'd be in for the long haul, but I don't think he is the really the right guy to take the club forward and carry on with the success Fergie achieved.

This has all made me even more concerned about who we will get once Wenger calls it a day, because no matter how much he frustrates me at times, I can't really see anyone else taking this team and doing the job he has done with it's restrictions and all. I think though his intentions are to make this club self-sufficient and efficient like how Bayern operates so the next manager won't have the restrictions he's had and will have more freedom to do things.

Yeah it's a very hard to replace a man who becomes more than just a manager. Much like Fergie, Wenger is now ingrained in the very fabric of the club and is in control of most aspects, the club reflects the manager in the cases of longevity and replacing that type of synergy is difficult.

On a sidenote, I'm hoping to see United use Kagawa more this season. There's a top player right there that could really do something for you guys.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty over his future, Dortmund fans have started a save Kagawa campaign and there's a rumour that he has an injury that has long term implications.

I just came across this and it brightened my sour mood! :D

tumblr_msjecugqqN1qdm5ngo1_400.gif

Clubs wait to deadline day simply because it puts potentially selling clubs under pressure to make a decision if a decent offer is on the table for one of their players, it also in 99% of cases removes the chance of other clubs swooping in & making a bid.. espcallly if they've already handled the bulk of their business at the start of the window.

It can backfire though on the buying club for example in our case with Berbatov & Felliani in which both Spurs & Everton pretty much called United's bluff & held out for the fee they wanted. Was probably a similar case with Bale & Tottenham as well.

oh I know I said I realise why!
Sakho I think is a good piece of business for Liverpool, young, talented & he is a defensive leader.

everyone knows if you wanted to win the league 3 years ago you have to buy him on football manager ;)

£23.5m was his buy out clause until the 31st January & even that was too much for him. Felliani is worth at the very most £18m, we should not have paid a penny more than that in my opinion.

oh really? Id seen it reported in numerous places that the buy out expired 31st July.... but I agree he is very overpriced and overrated imo, maybe he'll prove me wrong

So apparently Khedira says Utd tried to buy him on deadline day. (Sky Sports)

Wait why is Arsenal not a championship contender? Is there a team that has shown they will run away with this?
Without the recent buys of Flamini & Ozil I don't know anyone who thought Arsenal were going to win. Pretty much everyone favoured City & Chelsea, with Utd also ahead. They had only an outside chance like Spurs & Liverpool and that was reflected in the odds at all bookies. Alll 3 have boosted their chances in recent weeks.

Jamie Redknapp decribes Utd's transfer activity as "amateurish" for a club of that size. That includes the earlier failures to land targets like Fabregas & Thiago.

Jamie Redknapp decribes Utd's transfer activity as "amateurish" for a club of that size. That includes the earlier failures to land targets like Fabregas & Thiago.

LOL. That's the kindest thing I've heard all day!:csad:

Well if anyone knows anything about being amateurish....

So far, it's wide open IMO

Agreed. None of the usual suspects has stood out yet. I think even Liverpool could be in the frame at the end the way it's gone so far.

There's only been 3 games, I'd still make Chelsea favourites due to Mourinho and having the best depth in creative players of any of the top 6 sides.

For me City are second favourites as they have squad depth, strong additions and a quality manager, the big question is how long will it take to gel the new players into the system and if Pellegrini can stop Dzeko going into a strop if he's not first choice #9 all the time.

I'd make Arsenal 3rd with Wenger's experience and the Cazorla, Ozil, Wilshire trio giving them so much quality in midfield. My only concern for them is whether Giroud really has a 25 goal season in him as they have no real back up.

Liverpool have started well but I still see 4th as the best they will manage but United and Spurs have better depth IMO, and over a 38 game season that will count.

Liverpool have started well but I still see 4th as the best they will manage but United and Spurs have better depth IMO, and over a 38 game season that will count.

Defensively we're good... really good in fact and have plenty of depth, I'm not even sure who the first choice back four is to be honest at the moment!

midfield we're missing som quality in depth for sure, but if Lucas stays fit it is a decent midfield

up top is where we look great with a starting 3 of Coutinho Suarez and Sturridge... however if injuries (or bans!) occur could we be in trouble? Aspas hasnt set the world alight but then again its a new league and hes' 3 games in he may still surprises with something in his locker

The price for Fellaini was OTT but I think a lot of people are underestimating him. Moyes is right when he says Fellaini is a flexible player: he can do the tough work in midfield (bordering on thuggish at times though) but he's also very effective going forward.

I remember a couple of seasons back when Everton had suffered a litany of injuries up front. They were playing Cahill up top with Fellaini behind him in the CAM position and he was absolutely lethal.

I think with players like RVP and Rooney around him he will end up becoming a fan favourite for Man U.

United only paid £23.5 million for Fellaini. The other 4 million came from Fellanini given up a loyalty bonus.

I think he is a better player than people give him credit for but I am disappointed he is the only arrival

Yeah, was just about to post that. Makes more sense now that Utd 'overpaid' above the release clause when really it's voluntarily coming out of Fellaini's pay packet over the course of his contract. At least he has showed he's keen to join and like Herrara is willing to take a pay cut to push the move through. Hope he does well.

Last edited:
There's only been 3 games, I'd still make Chelsea favourites due to Mourinho and having the best depth in creative players of any of the top 6 sides.

For me City are second favourites as they have squad depth, strong additions and a quality manager, the big question is how long will it take to gel the new players into the system and if Pellegrini can stop Dzeko going into a strop if he's not first choice #9 all the time.

I'd make Arsenal 3rd with Wenger's experience and the Cazorla, Ozil, Wilshire trio giving them so much quality in midfield. My only concern for them is whether Giroud really has a 25 goal season in him as they have no real back up.

If you had to pick right now where would you guess Utd finish? If outside top 4 the vultures will be circling (even though it won't be all Moyes' fault).

He must know Arsenal aren't championship contenders at the moment and that the PL is very competitive compared to Spain (at least now that Fergie has retired). As long as they finish in the CL and do well in it I think they'll be able to hang onto him. He can't really go to Barca, a return to MAdrid is probably unlikely and there's only really Bayern unless he just wants cash. Although he's getting plenty of it at Arsenal anyway.

I think he's aware. Apparently Real turned down offer from United, City a late desperate attempt from Spurs, and the offer of more money from PSG, which Mesut also turned down in order to sign for us. Wenger describes him as his 'dream player', and Mesut and his Father seem to have been convinced by Wenger who has told them, Özil will be one of, if not the key parts of the team. He has also told him he is going to be the first of the many top marquee signings he now wants to make and now knows we can make. Özil's Father and agent also advised Mesut to sign for us as he believes Wenger is the perfect coach to help him reach and fulfill his top potential.

They usually say the first top signing is always the hardest. Once that has been achieved the rest usually follow. It's only now in hindsight that I'm starting to realise how big of a deal this really is. It's almost like that 'Bergkamp moment' back in the 90's where we signed a top player and it made it easier to attract other top potential talent. I presume top players will now be looking at this deal and thinking (and scratching their heads, as most of the footballing world seem to be in disbelief) something must be happening for him to sign for Arsenal.

Yeah, was just about to post that. Makes more sense now that Utd 'overpaid' above the release clause when really it's voluntarily coming out of Fellaini's pay packet over the course of his contract. At least he has showed he's keen to join and like Herrara is willing to take a pay cut to push the move through. Hope he does well.

No Everton is saying Man U paid the full 27.5 million for Fellaini

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...ice-4m-join-manchester-united-everton?cc=5901

i hope arsenal get alaba and/or badstuber to reinforce the back four. i hope they make a bid for lewandowski too

It's a shame the Higuain deal didn't go through, who do you think is the next logical striker to go for?
Yeah, he could have worked brilliantly in tandem with Özil now. I have no idea really. I doubt we'll make another attempt for Suarez, who seems to really want Real. I can't see us going back fro Rooney either. Maybe Benzema, who could be come surplus if Real to sign Suarez eventually next summer. Tbh, ideally I wish we'd have gone all in for Cavani and grabbed him, but I do think the Napoli clause was probably too much.

Not a fan of Podolski? I'm interested to see how Giroud does this season, he has an opportunity to really step up and establish himself.
Oh no, I didn't mean Podolski, I was referring to 'Better than Zlatan!' Nicklas Bendtner. :whatever: :jedi Yeah, this really is his opportunity to step up and claim the spot as his own.

You feel Gibbs is gonna develop into a top LB?
There are promising signs there, but we'll have to wait and see. Monreal also seems pretty able to, so I think we're covered well there for the time being.

Yeah it's a very hard to replace a man who becomes more than just a manager. Much like Fergie, Wenger is now ingrained in the very fabric of the club and is in control of most aspects, the club reflects the manager in the cases of longevity and replacing that type of synergy is difficult.
I agree completely. I general, I know we all have moments where we get so annoyed and frustrated at the state of things at times, but in hindisght, and with these two in particular, there's just nobody better really. And men like this will always be hard and never easy to replace of even replicate.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty over his future, Dortmund fans have started a save Kagawa campaign and there's a rumour that he has an injury that has long term implications.
Ah, that sucks. Hope that isn't the case. I really liked him at Dortmund and would have taken him in an instant back then. I probably would still done so now too.

I just came across this and it brightened my sour mood! :D

tumblr_msjecugqqN1qdm5ngo1_400.gif
Lol! :D I sitll can't believe it, tbh.

i hope arsenal get alaba and/or badstuber to reinforce the back four. i hope they make a bid for lewandowski too
I'd like to see of Subotic or Hummels, ideally. As for Lewandowski, he seems pretty much nailed on to sign for Bayern next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"