The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much single handedly lost them the tie against Barcelona recently by getting sent off after pulling Messi down. He looks alright for Argentina I agree, but for City most of the time I'm watching him he barely seems to be coping. In the CL and against any teams with pace he seems to struggle significantly. Kompany was erratic in 14/15, but his weaknesses have become apparent recently. Demichelis has been sketchy for at least 2 seasons, although I agree it doesn't help he doesn't have a reliable partner in Kompany who's been getting lost lately. Kompany still has the athleticism to bail himself out of some situations, but Demichelis is unaware and slow and gets caught frequently.

If Darth thinks Rojo is worse than Demichelis I'm obviously living in the twilight zone and might be better off abandoning this thread for actual psychotic pastures.

2 seasons ago a season in which statistically he had the second highest amount of interceptions of any top 4 defender! I have to disagree mate, Kompany's been off for about 2 years now. He's always pushing forward almost into a midfield position trying to win the ball which leaves Demichelis isolated, considering he's the main man at the back, the captain and the organiser that is piss poor. It'd be like Cahill leaving JT isolated. His athleticism isn't coutning for **** because teams consistently got in behind City last year and just look at the friendly in Stuttgart. City fans are calling Kompany the weak link in their defence. Demichelis on more than one occasion last year anticipated a Kompany mistake and got in goal saving challenges. His job is to be the blunt instrument, win headers and get blocks in, he does it regularly…. He’s the only one who does.

Slade - Completely agree mate, he isn't a top CB but abit like when I see people moan about Chris Smalling being in the England squad, he's the only one doing his job.

Last edited:
Congrats to Arsenal. Hope they can carry this for forward to the first league game of the season. I always say this but I'd love to see as many teams as possible seriously competing for the title. No reason why there can't be at least 4 teams involved.

2 seasons ago a season in which statistically he had the second highest amount of interceptions of any top 4 defender! I have to disagree mate, Kompany's been off for about 2 years now. He's always pushing forward almost into a midfield position trying to win the ball which leaves Demichelis isolated, considering he's the main man at the back, the captain and the organiser that is piss poor. It'd be like Cahill leaving JT isolated. His athleticism isn't coutning for **** because teams consistently got in behind City last year and just look at the friendly in Stuttgart. City fans are calling Kompany the weak link in their defence. Demichelis on more than one occasion last year anticipated a Kompany mistake and got in goal saving challenges. His job is to be the blunt instrument, win headers and get blocks in, he does it regularly…. He’s the only one who does.

Fair enough man, most of the games of theirs I saw last season were either CL matches or against the eventual top 4, so there might have been a bunch of good performances I've missed. I think Kompany is a good defender in isolation, but I concede that for some time now he seems to almost forget he's part of a set of defenders and just kind of goes off on his own mission, which is something a player like Terry is an absolute expert at.

It's possible the reason Demichelis looks better for Argentina is because he's in a system that better accommodates his abilities, rather than next to a CB that goes AWOL. To be honest I'm not sure how City don't concede more goals, their fullbacks are kind of the only guys that are switched on. If they weren't such a heavy possession based team I think they'd be getting cut apart more frequently.

Fair enough man, most of the games of theirs I saw last season were either CL matches or against the eventual top 4, so there might have been a bunch of good performances I've missed. I think Kompany is a good defender in isolation, but I concede that for some time now he seems to almost forget he's part of a set of defenders and just kind of goes off on his own mission, which is something a player like Terry is an absolute expert at.

It's possible the reason Demichelis looks better for Argentina is because he's in a system that better accommodates his abilities, rather than next to a CB that goes AWOL. To be honest I'm not sure how City don't concede more goals, their fullbacks are kind of the only guys that are switched on. If they weren't such a heavy possession based team I think they'd be getting cut apart more frequently.

Completely with you there, it's even worse if Kolarov plays!

Good goal by Arsenal. Was a decent game, but it felt muted TBH. Not shocked by Jose's behaviour afterwards though.

Tensions are a little frayed amongst United fans as this thread shows, and if the big rumour regarding tomorrow's squad numbers being revealed is true then expect things to go up a few notches.

Only caught the 2nd half of the CS, we know it doesn't mean much but I still think Wenger will have enjoyed that little one over on Mourinho, and I see their relationship is as petty as ever with no post-match handshake.

Last edited:
CS does feel like a glorified friendly game with both teams only giving 75%, but I would still want to win the title if my team made it there.

So happy Arsenal won, not a supporter of them, but respect Wenger a lot and seeing him put one over on JM & Chelsea is great, but Jose will say 'it doesn't matter' that they lost, bet it would have mattered if they'd won.

Tensions are a little frayed amongst United fans as this thread shows, and if the big rumour regarding tomorrow's squad numbers being revealed is true then expect things to go up a few notches.

what rumour?

Predictions time people...

1 Chelsea (by a whisker)
2 Arsenal
3 Manchester United
4 Manchester City
5 Liverpool
6 Tottenham

Bottom 3

18 Sunderland
19 Aston Villa
20 Watford

Predictions time people...

1 Chelsea (by a whisker)
2 Manchester City
3 Arsenal
4 Manchester United
5 Liverpool
6 Tottenham

Just made a little alteration to yours to what I am predicting, of course if Costa misses serious time I think City will edge it.

The bottom 3 is harder to predict as if a team gets off to a flier in the first half of the season it can keep them up even as they fade.

Just made a little alteration to yours to what I am predicting, of course if Costa misses serious time I think City will edge it.

The bottom 3 is harder to predict as if a team gets off to a flier in the first half of the season it can keep them up even as they fade.

I think overall though, the quality will improve vastly next season, last season was just so :whatever:

I'll probably post a bigger prediction for the whole table before Saturday, but if we're just going by the top6 clubs for now, then:

1. Arsenal
2. Chelsea (They will probably win, I consider them favorites, but I think they need a big signing)
3. Manchester United
4. Liverpool
5. Man City
6. Tottenham

I'll wait till the transfer window is over, but if it goes as i hope, then i think we'll finish higher than liverpool again.

FrayedEnviousArawana.gif

guess runner up medals are not good enough

In fairness he did the same thing with a PL winners medal in 2006.

Mourinho has really has become a caricature of the manager that first arrived in the early 00s. His press conferences and pitch side behaviour slowly started degenerating ever since Madrid and he's just going further and further. The medal thing isn't too bad, but it's in addition to the Benitez comments, slagging off Arsenal and Wenger. As amusing as it is in small doses it's becoming some childish outburst before basically every match against a big team.

I love Jose. Love him. I do agree though that he has lost all his subtly, but he is still beyond entertaining to me.

Eh...if Fellaini is given the #9 it actually makes sense and goes along with a lot of things we already know. A) There isn't a striker available that would warrant spending £30m+ B) Rooney, Wilson and Chicharito will be the options as center forwards C) The attacking players we're being linked with are wide forwards like Pedro, not #9s.

Fellaini's presence in the squad along with United's midfield now consisting of Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Pereira and possibly Blind means Fellaini's only real use is as a plan B target man. It makes sense that he gets the #9. I'm sure some United fans will have coronaries if it ends up happening, but it's congruent with all the information we have so far. It's not really a big deal, his squad number would be in line with how he was used for the most successful part of last season anyways.

Fellaini's goal against Tottenham only confirms that he might be useful. As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd rather have an amped and on form Fellaini up front than an uninspired Wayne Rooney who seems to have lost his acceleration and touch. At least Fellaini is fantastic at holding up the ball and makes a huge nuisance of himself from set pieces. Against textbook Premier League teams with massive CBs and midfielders Fellaini is a lot more sensible if Rooney is playing like ****.

Last edited:
Eh...if Fellaini is given the #9 it actually makes sense and goes along with a lot of things we already know. A) There isn't a striker available that would warrant spending £30m+ B) Rooney, Wilson and Chicharito will be the options as center forwards C) The attacking players we're being linked with are wide forwards like Pedro, not #9s.

Fellaini's presence in the squad along with United's midfield now consisting of Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Herrera, Pereira and possibly Blind means Fellaini's only real use is as a plan B target man. It makes sense that he gets the #9. I'm sure some United fans will have coronaries if it ends up happening, but it's congruent with all the information we have so far. It's not really a big deal, his squad number would be in line with how he was used for the most successful part of last season anyways.

Fellaini's goal against Tottenham only confirms that he might be useful. As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd rather have an amped and on form Fellaini up front than an uninspired Wayne Rooney who seems to have lost his acceleration and touch. At least Fellaini is fantastic at holding up the ball and makes a huge nuisance of himself from set pieces. Against textbook Premier League teams with massive CBs and midfielders Fellaini is a lot more sensible if Rooney is playing like ****.
There is zero reason to give him the #9. Especially if we should be looking for one next summer if we don't get one this summer. The #9 isn't for plan Bs, it is for your #1 striker.

Are you really going to make these arguments all season? You have become so defensive of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"