The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pistol whipping that the Swiss put on Belgium after being down 0-2 was pretty fantastic.

I believe england automatically qualify for the euros having won their group.
Admitedly it is confusing me. But have to admit it was quite exciting in the end.

As far as I'm aware the Nations League has no relevance to the Euro Qualifiers. I think even the team that wins the NL can still end up failing to qualify for the Euros, they don't even offer safe passage for the holders or the hosts either which used to be a thing if I'm not mistaken.

As far as I'm aware the Nations League has no relevance to the Euro Qualifiers. I think even the team that wins the NL can still end up failing to qualify for the Euros, they don't even offer safe passage for the holders or the hosts either which used to be a thing if I'm not mistaken.
The holders and hosts of the Euros don’t qualify for the upcoming Euros? I thought that was always a thing for World Cups and Euros. It makes sense for the hosts of a tournament to be in, even if they aren’t a top footballing nation, to improve the atmosphere of the tournament. And I guess people wanted to see the holders defend their crown, although with a 4 year gap the team could be quite different and likely isn’t as good if they are failing to qualify.

It does, the 4 teams that get to the finals will be top seeded in the groups of 5 teams. Not as i thought they automatically qualify.

UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying - Wikipedia

The holders and hosts of the Euros don’t qualify for the upcoming Euros? I thought that was always a thing for World Cups and Euros. It makes sense for the hosts of a tournament to be in, even if they aren’t a top footballing nation, to improve the atmosphere of the tournament. And I guess people wanted to see the holders defend their crown, although with a 4 year gap the team could be quite different and likely isn’t as good if they are failing to qualify.

Next euros is spread over different countries rather than having a single host.

I think that's the main reason for them omitting the holders from instant qualification, 4 years is a long time you could go from being the best in the world to barely top 10 in 4 years.

It does, the 4 teams that get to the finals will be top seeded in the groups of 5 teams. Not as i thought they automatically qualify.

UEFA Euro 2020 qualifying - Wikipedia

Just reading that it doesn't sound like anything really has changed, the teams that get to the finals of the Nations League are teams that were likely going to be the top or 2nd seeds in their qualifier groups anyway.

My head is actually hurting trying to understand how that stupid **** works if I'm being honest. :D

I think that's the main reason for them omitting the holders from instant qualification, 4 years is a long time you could go from being the best in the world to barely top 10 in 4 years.

Just reading that it doesn't sound like anything really has changed, the teams that get to the finals of the Nations League are teams that were likely going to be the top or 2nd seeds in their qualifier groups anyway.

My head is actually hurting trying to understand how that stupid **** works if I'm being honest. :D

Agreed.

Tiken-taken, fikken-fakken... :D
DsXgEW2WoAEQziF.jpg

Next euros is spread over different countries rather than having a single host.
Oh very good point. I guess it doesn't makes sense to give automatic qualification to so many countries.

Yes, and we've seen that happen a few times.

Pity as wembley has the final.
Oh, I didn't even know. So which group of countries are hosting it? We better qualify then, trust us to be the victim of a rule change. I guess we should be in with a shout if doing well then, although France will be tough to match.

Mane's just agreed a new deal. Happy days - that's Salah, Firmino and Mane all on new, long-term contracts. Word is that next up is improved contracts for Gomez, Robertson and TAA, to reflect their performances thus far.

Mane's just agreed a new deal. Happy days - that's Salah, Firmino and Mane all on new, long-term contracts. Word is that next up is improved contracts for Gomez, Robertson and TAA, to reflect their performances thus far.
Awesome news mate. :up: The future is looking good for you guys.

Mourinho publicly criticize Martial, Lingard, Luke Shaw and Rashford. He said that they're talent but lack maturity and character.

For god sake Martial is saving your ass Jose

Mourinho publicly criticize Martial, Lingard, Luke Shaw and Rashford. He said that they're talent but lack maturity and character.

For god sake Martial is saving your ass Jose
Same old Mourinho.

Jose Mourinho: What Man United manager really said about his players, misleading translations

Mourinho was asked what they were lacking, we’re guessing in order to take their game, and therefore their team’s, to the next level.

The Portuguese, as per usual, went straight to the point.

He said: “Maturity. When I say that, I mean maturity at a personal level. We (talking to the interviewer) are more men, we are more mature, we were more prepared to face life. We were less protected. In England, they call it ‘spoilt’. Today, we’re talking about ‘spoilt kids’. Our children are more ‘spoilt’ than we were.

“I think kids these days have a different social life than us, and players have around them an ‘entourage’, and I mean a personal entourage, the people that surround them, that protect them more, give them more affection, more excuses. They reach maturity more slowly."

“For example, this kid, Luke Shaw, who is currently the national team’s left-back, when I arrived here two years ago, he didn’t know how to compete. He had great potential, yes, but he didn’t know how to compete. When we talk about Luke Shaw, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, we’re talking about kids with great potential but still lack a word I can’t say but that you like a lot… they lack a bit of that.”

Our best guess there is that Mourinho, speaking in Spanish, wanted to say ‘cojones’, which means ‘balls’, but the interviewer then puts forward ‘character’, which Mourinho agreed with, also adding ‘lacking personality and that natural aggression’.

Mourinho has criticised players before harshly & unjustly, this isn't the same thing despite The Sun doing it's best to make it sound like he launched into a random tirade as opposed to answering a question.

Final leg of the Boca vs River Plate Libertadores final today (currently tied at 2-2)

Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG

Source: Whoscored.com

Starting to lose my patient for United.

Luckily, Dortmund is doing so good, top of Bundesliga with 9 points ahead of Bayern.

Paco Alcacer is really in god-mode this season. 7 appearances (2 starting lineup) with only 270 minutes and he's got 9 league goals. That's 1 goal every 30 minutes. Unbelievable

City and Liverpool with big away wins, 4-0 at West Ham and 3-0 at Watford respectively. Utd drop points at home drawing with Palace.

Starting to lose my patient for United.

Luckily, Dortmund is doing so good, top of Bundesliga with 9 points ahead of Bayern.

Paco Alcacer is really in god-mode this season. 7 appearances (2 starting lineup) with only 270 minutes and he's got 9 league goals. That's 1 goal every 30 minutes. Unbelievable
Wow, pretty much a hat-trick a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"