The Optical Effects in B89 Hold Up Well.

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
B89 was released when visual effects were in transition from practical to digital. So, a lot of times people like to complain that the effects seem dated. In some cases it does, but in others it does not. I think the optical effects hold up quite well. Just go back and re-watch the Batwing scene. It's well done. The only thing that looks bad in that scene is when the Batwing crashes. For that they switched from optical to miniatures.

Most of the movie is just fine, pretty much state of the art at the time, but I can't help but be a little bugged at two very short bits. The first time we see Bats, on the rooftop from a bird's eye view where he turns around when he hears the lady scream, and the scene where you see Joker falling to his death, those scenes used rather choppy cel animation, and look rather crude. They could have done it better.

Batman '89 is the first movie that got me interested in all the behind the scenes FX such as the special Making Of A Hero from the UK and the Topps trading cards that had SFX photos.

pretty much state of the art at the time

Sort of. Burton had inexperience, the crew was British, and the movie was rushed into production. The effects could have been WAY better. Just look at any Spielberg, Lucas, or Cameron movie from around that time. This was, after all, the year when Cameron released The Abyss.

The first time we see Bats, on the rooftop from a bird's eye view where he turns around when he hears the lady scream, and the scene where you see Joker falling to his death, those scenes used rather choppy cel animation, and look rather crude. They could have done it better.
you know, i don't see anything wrong with the 'cheesy animation'. i certainly wouldn't be changing or altering the original film, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"