The Pale Blue Eye: Christian Bale to Star in Director Scott Cooper’s Adaptation

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
The Pale Blue Eye: Christian Bale to Star in Director Scott Cooper's Adaptation

Based on the novel by Louis Bayard and adapted by Cooper, the thriller revolves around the attempt to solve a series of murders that took place in 1830 at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Bale will play a veteran detective in the film who investigates the murders, assisted by a detail-oriented young cadet who will later become a world-famous author, Edgar Allan Poe.

A western detective movie sounds intriguing, not genres that cross over all that often.

Sounds interesting but I wasn't crazy about their last collaboration Hostiles.

Curious to see who'll play Poe.

It’ll be a good role for a younger actor. I’m thinking Chalamet is possible. He was on Hostiles and he’s a Bale stan.

It’ll be a good role for a younger actor. I’m thinking Chalamet is possible. He was on Hostiles and he’s a Bale stan.

He kinda looks like a young Poe, actually

d12c4ea34eb77d1e3326a372aa84b6f4.jpg

I liked Hostiles and Crazy Heart, Out of the Furnace was ok. The book sounds really good and I could see Tom Holland as the young cadet, Batman and Spider-Man on the case! :D

I am definitely down for another Christian Bale/Scott Cooper collab. Hostiles wasn't for everybody, but I thought it was mostly great and Out of the Furnace was pretty solid as well. I am still more excited to see Antlers though and what he can do with a full on horror film/creature feature.

Haven't seen Hostiles but enjoyed both Out of the Furnace and Crazy Heart. A western detective story sounds interesting as well, since it's not all that common of stories.

Personally, I found Hostiles to be my favorite Cooper film. The acting, in particular, is *chef’s kiss*. :up:

ETA: The book, where it’ll be based on, is only $1.99 right now on IBooks. Here’s the summary:

Last edited:
Sounds interesting but I wasn't crazy about their last collaboration Hostiles.

Curious to see who'll play Poe.
Hostiles is frustrating because it has arguably my favorite Christian Bale performance in it but the movie's pacing is a SLOG.

Kinda wild to see him blowing up like this so long after the HP series ended.

And really, he only had a semi-substantial role in like three of those films, so it goes back even further than that…

IIRC Duvall is Scott Cooper’s father-in-law.

Gillian Anderson, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Robert Duvall, And More Join The Cast Of Netflix Feature The Pale Blue Eye

Gillian Anderson, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Robert Duvall, And More Join The Cast Of Netflix Feature The Pale Blue Eye

Netflix's upcoming Poe picture gets a huge cast boost with several formidable talents on the big screen. The Gothic horror film "The Pale Blue Eye" is directed by Scott Cooper (he of the taut 2021 Wendigo horror "Antlers"), who also adapted the screenplay from Louis Bayard's novel of the same title. It stars Christian Bale and Harry Melling, along with some new additions to the cast including Gillian Anderson ("Sex Education"), Robert Duvall ("The Apostle"), and Timothy Spall ("Spencer"). Lucy Boynton, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Toby Jones, and Harry Lawtey have also joined the cast.

Sounds good. I wasn’t crazy about Crazy Heart (no pun intended) but I loved Hostiles and Out of the Furnace. A bit disappointed in the Poe casting though I suppose he does look the part (more than John Cusack did LOL). But the rest of the cast is fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"