Christian Bale to Star in Zhang Yimou’s ‘Flowers of War’

Bale's hair looks better here than it does in The Dark Knight Rises.

Therefore, this will be the better movie of the two.

845917c0.jpg

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/22169/bale-talks-about-his-co-stars-in-‘dark-knight-rises’

In Yimou’s 1937-set “The Flowers of War,” Christian plays an American, John Miller, trapped in the besieged city of Nanking when it is invaded by the Japanese army. He is forced to pretend to be a priest as desperate civilians – schoolgirls and courtesans – seek refuge in a cathedral. An act of heroism inspires the disparate group to fight back.

On the difference he noted in filming away from Hollywood or London, Christian said, “Maybe it’s just the set-up that they have in China. Or, maybe, it’s because Yimou is the preeminent director there. So, there’s this autocracy. He will decide what is going to be shot at any given time. No need to explain it to anybody else. No producers get to differ with him. It could be a dictatorship, but Yimou is a very warm-hearted guy, so it never became that.”

“There are no unions for the film workers, so it’s seven-day work weeks,” he added.

“The speed with which everything got done was phenomenal, especially in terms of the set construction – the size, the grandeur of it."

“I arrived on the set and there were two sound stages which I assumed had been there for years – but no, they were built just for this movie."

“They built enormous acres of streets to replicate Nanking. They built a cathedral that wasn’t just a façade – it was made of concrete. This thing’s going to be around for 100 years. I found that phenomenal – the ability to get all of that done.”

He offered personal insights into the renowned Asian filmmaker, with whom he communicated via translators: “Yimou is one of the calmest directors I’ve ever come across. He never panics. You never see him worry. It doesn’t matter what problems are presented to him. He’s got a great sense of humor."

“We make each other cry with laughter and, half the time, we didn’t even know exactly what it was we were laughing about. You just get a feeling of kinship with him. He’s a master at what he does. He’s been doing it for so long.”

Bale and Zhang Yimou have the cover story at this week's issue of The Hollywood Reporter. I liked the part about Spielberg recommending Bale to Zhang.

44cover_lores_a_p.jpg

Full Cover Story - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ng-yimou-china-flowers-war-267220#node-267220

Shorter One:

'Dark Knight's' Christian Bale On Why He's Starring Next in a $100 Million Chinese Movie

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...an-bale-batman-flowers-war-zhang-yimou-267588

From Nolan to Nanking? Directed by the legendary Zhang Yimou, the Oscar winner is the first major Westerner to appear in a Chinese movie with Rape of Nanking epic "The Flowers of War." In the latest issue of The Hollywood Reporter, days after "The Dark Knight Rises" filming wrapped, the pair discuss what it means for business in China, and if the language barrier mattered: "Yimou actually wanted Christian Slater but ended up with me," jokes Bale.

In the current issue of The Hollywood Reporter, senior film reporter Pamela McClintock sat down with the notoriously press-shy Christian Bale, 37, and famed 60-year-old Chinese director Zhang Yimou (Raise the Red Lantern), who together just finished making the most expensive Chinese movie ever, the historical epic, The Flowers of War. The movie centers on Bale as a mourning American mortician who seeks refuge in a Catholic cathedral and finds himself in the middle of a war, in a story based on the Rape of Nanking, the brutal invasion of Nanking by the Japanese army in 1937. The movie will be released for one week in America in late December; internationally it opens Dec. 16. In this exclusive interview, the men, who clearly like each other enormously, reveal how an American actor came to be the star of a Chinese major motion picture, Bale's 20-year fascination with the director, and how they overcame cultural and language barriers

BALE SAYS SIGNING ON TO THE FILM WAS A 'NO-BRAINER'
With a penchant for demanding and far-flung assignments, Bale says he quickly accepted the offer to star in Zhang's epic when it came to him through his William Morris Endeavor agents Patrick Whitesell and Boomer Malkin, even though he spoke no Mandarin (Mou Mou translated on the set). "Some people scratched their heads when I told them I wanted to do the project and said, 'Really, why?' I don't understand that sort of thinking," says Bale. "I like the adventure aspect of making movies, so the opportunity to work in China, not on an American movie, but on a Chinese movie, really appealed to me. How many times do you get that sort of opportunity, and on top of that, get to work with a fantastic director? It was a no-brainer." Says Whitesell: "One of the reasons I was excited was that this will up Christian's exposure in China. It could be China's Saving Private Ryan."

Bale was in the midst of preparing for the release of The Fighter when he received the script, and was immediately drawn in by the story."This was a very poignant and painful moment in Chinese history and I was drawn to the radical difference between the atrocities that happen, versus the incredible humanity that emerges," Bale says. "Yimou and I had spoken a little about the character, and this was not a guy who was a hero from the get-go, this was a guy who really just wanted to have a good time in China and make a buck."

WHY BALE WAS UNNERVED WHEN HE GOT TO THE SET
Bale was baffled to find stone-cold silence when he arrived on the set of Yimou's $100 million historical epic The Flowers of War in January. After the 14-hour flight from Los Angeles to Nanjing, China, Bale found it downright unnerving. Sets are usually noisy hubs, not mausoleums."There were a couple of hundred people just staring at me. Even Yimou was whispering. I thought to myself, 'I guess this is how it's done in China,' " Bale recalls. "It turns out they'd all gotten together the day before and said that in the States, everybody is quiet on the set. I told them, 'Please, start shouting.' "

One of the more awkward moments of the shoot came when Zhang asked Bale if he would instruct the first-time actors. Bale was stunned, since no director he's ever worked with would tolerate such an intrusion."Yimou explained that it's different in China, and that the more experienced actor is considered rude if he or she doesn't tell a less-experienced actor how to do a scene," Bale says. "What we had was a culture clash of what's acceptable, and what's not. I mean for me to tread on Yimou's toes would be incredibly arrogant. I just couldn't do it. At the same time, I didn't want to be perceived as being rude myself." Bale came up with a plan -- he was willing to leave the set and speak to an actor, but only if Zhang came along.

HOW ZHANG CONVINCED THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT TO GREEN LIGHT HIS SENSITIVE-SUBJECT FILM
Over the years, Zhang has had his issues with the Chinese government -- several of his films were banned -- and on its face, Flowers of War was potentially problematic. "This is not the sort of mainstream movie the Chinese government would usually approve," Zhang says. "The story of the Rape of Nanking has been told before in films, and is a very political and serious subject," Zhang says, "but what intrigued me about this story was that it's actually told from the female perspective, so it's more humane and has a personal touch." Zhang researched the Rape of Nanking for more than three years, and some of the film's more graphic scenes were drawn from actual photographs, while the movie itself was based on Geling Yan's novel The 13 Women of Nanjing. "Topics about foreigners, about religion and about World War II are not well-received by the government, but because this movie is about who we are as humans, and what we would do to save other people, the government actually supported it."

SPIELBERG RECOMMENDED BALE TO ZHANG, WHO'D SEEN PIRATED VERSION OF THE FIGHTER INCORRECTLY SUBTITLED IN CHINA
Zhang Yimou and producing partner Zhang Weiping knew from the start that they would need to land a Western actor to play the central character in the book. (Westerners played a crucial role in documenting the invasion of Nanking since the Japanese were not targeting them and they could evade danger and even get out.). Bale was at the top of the list, based on his ability to adapt and be completely in tune with new situations. Steven Spielberg, who had cast Bale in Empire of the Sun years earlier, also recommended the actor to his friend Zhang Yimou.
Zhang is certain of one thing -- Bale is about to become famous at the Chinese box office. Many of the actor's films haven't been released in theaters there, including The Dark Knight and The Fighter, although Bale reports with a laugh that pirated copies of both films were widely available on the streets of Nanjing. Indeed, the first time Zhang watched a copy of The Fighter, the subtitles were botched. After he was done shooting Flowers of War, he watched another copy. This time, the subtitles were right. With a glint returning to his eye, and the end to the interview at the Montage approaching, Zhang tells Bale: "I regret that I didn't see The Fighter with the good subtitles the first time. Your performance was so good, I would have added more scenes for you in Flowers of War."

WHAT THIS MEANS FOR HOLLYWOOD AND CHINA
China's cash-flush film industry and box office are exploding, and Hollywood is feverishly trying to gain entry to a marketplace severely restricted by the government's quota limiting the annual number of Western films to 20. If Flowers of War works, a whole new revenue stream could open up for Western actors (not to mention producers, directors and writers). At a $100 million budget, Zhang's movie is the most expensive production ever mounted in China, and Bale likely received millions for his work and perhaps a piece of the back end in an era of shrinking U.S. budgets. For their part, Hollywood studios have been busy focusing on striking co-production partnerships with Chinese film companies, such as Legendary Pictures' newly announced pact with Huayi Brothers and the creation of Legendary East. The first project is the Edward Zwick-directed The Great Wall, which won't be subject to the quota. "China is the fastest-growing market in the world. Co-productions are advantageous both for revenue share purposes and the challenges of the quota system," says Sanford Panitch, president of Fox International Productions, which has made four films in China with a local partner, including box-office hits Hot Summer Days and its sequel Love in Space.

Intentions are one thing, carrying out that vision is another. American audiences are notoriously finicky about watching a movie with subtitles, even if that movie stars a famous actor and is 40 percent in English. (The highest-grossing Chinese movie to date is 2000's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which earned $128.1 million domestically.)

WHAT'S NEXT FOR BALE
The interview took place just three days after Bale wrapped production on the last Batman movie, The Dark Knight Rises, shot in India, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles and New York City. But the actor isn't fazed by the end of the Batman franchise, and already has moved on. "I'm not really thinking about what's next. But there's a couple of projects I'm doing with Terrence Malick, but it won't be for a while. So I'm going to have a little bit of a break."

Bale was baffled to find stone-cold silence when he arrived on the set of Yimou's $100 million historical epic The Flowers of War in January. After the 14-hour flight from Los Angeles to Nanjing, China, Bale found it downright unnerving. Sets are usually noisy hubs, not mausoleums."There were a couple of hundred people just staring at me. Even Yimou was whispering. I thought to myself, 'I guess this is how it's done in China,' " Bale recalls. "It turns out they'd all gotten together the day before and said that in the States, everybody is quiet on the set. I told them, 'Please, start shouting.' "

XD!!! They didn't want to end it professionally with Bale so soon...

Bunch of stills:

npq6v.jpg

utSIe.jpg

rB1o4.jpg

oWTUm.jpg

hbNP3.jpg

u2N9U.jpg

kkROB.jpg

v98HB.jpg

g3aJl.jpg

More:

lwYoV.jpg

aRcVC.jpg

zkThc.jpg

MRPOU.jpg

uAsYb.jpg

9Z6LN.jpg

umu3l.jpg

lHI8X.jpg

tXhog.jpg

First twitter reactions to the film, that screened last night, are almost unanimously positive, one going so far as to say "The Flowers of War is irresistibly beautiful and relentlessly uncompromising. Zhang Yimou's mastery of imagery is awing. Bale is phenomenal."

The Flowers of War - Q&A with Christian Bale [Source]

Two words to describe Christian on stage: respectful and humble.

He spoke with a soft, low voice, with a great sense of humor and a good timing delivering all the jokes.

The director needed the translator next to him, who I believe it’s his daughter.

Since she was sitting too far from Yimou, Christian got up and gave her his chair, next to her father, so she could translate for him.

Christian also offered a bottle of water to the main actress, Ni Ni.

Yes, Christian was making sure everybody was comfortable on stage.

I wrote down some of the questions and Christian’s answers, please keep in mind it’s not verbatim. We weren’t allowed to record the event in any way—audio, video, pictures, nothing.

Q: Was it a challenge for you to make this movie, because of the language and everything else?

A: Not so challenging. I liked the idea when Yimou sent me the script and I liked the story. I enjoy the adventures of filmmaking and the traveling. I’ve been to China when I was 13 years old but in that case it was for an American movie. This time I was there to make a Chinese movie.As for the language, I think you create a communication that goes beyond the language barrier, so I would say there were no challenges whatsoever.

Q: How did you prepare for the role? Did you do research?

A: I like to research a lot and I leave no rock unturned when I’m preparing for a character. So I met with a mortician (it’s a very intriguing profession *laughs*) and priests.

The director Yimou added at this point that he developed the character together with Christian, they talked about it a lot and shared ideas in the hotel room, as he wanted to have a western actor totally invested in the movie, not just standing there as a scenery, like it happened in the past with other westerns actors.

Christian adds: Yimou said to me: “You make it up each and every day and you change everything every day.” Yimou was concerned about me adapting to this progressive change but I told him right away that I like that a lot, I always like the sense of discovery. Something that you still find in low budget movies. So we were brainstorming ideas for the role in the hotel room with Yimou and Ni Ni. I honestly think Yimou could be a great actor. (*laughs*) Yimou liked some of my ideas but he didn’t like some others (*impersonation of Yimou shaking his head when the idea was bad and being all happy when he liked Christian’s suggestions*—hilarious)

It was a very creatively satisfying experience for me.

The other Chinese actors did a great job with their English, especially because I was throwing lines at them that weren’t in the script so I wasn’t sure they were understanding what I was saying! (*laughs*)

Q: What about you, Ni Ni?

A: What Christian just said. Christian made English very easy for me, thank you!

Q: After the Oscar for The Fighter (*big applause*) … you come out with a surprise like this movie. Do you consciously set out to surprise?

A: I like to keep things interesting for myself. There are a lot of opportunities when you have so many choices. I want to have adventures in movies and I enjoyed making this one. It was irresistible to try something like this. I also like to get into a movie with non actors. You always get an honest response from them.

The casting of the kids in the movie took 2 years, they’re all between 12 and 13 years old and they were required to speak the local Chinese dialect, as well as some English.

Talking about the kids, Christian adds: Many of the kids reminded me of myself, as I started very young in my career. Most of them weren’t interesting in doing movies again and I remember I used to say the same thing at their age so I told them: “Watch out, because you’ll end up at 37 still doing it!”

He then describes a scene where the children were crying for over 5 minutes. Christian felt awful, it was so intense and they were doing another take and he was worried they were all going to be exhausted. Then one of the kids winked at him and he realized they were all method actors right there. They fooled him completely.

Here's some new posters.

gEskn.jpg

qhkH7.jpg

DgZaf.jpg

Yeah... Twitter reactions from the screenings have been pretty darn good so far. If the distributor play their cards right, this might have a shot at the Foreign Language and even the general categories.

@Brotodeau Brandon Lee Tenney
The Flowers of War is irresistibly beautiful and relentlessly uncompromising. Zhang Yimou's mastery of imagery is awing. Bale is phenomenal.

@sfpelosi sfpelosi
Just saw "Flowers of War" (epic Chinese movie about Rape of Nanking). Intense. Powerful. Heroic women facing evil. #countingourblessings

geniewrites Genie Davis
Flowers of War is an awesome film

firstshowing Alex Billington
Flowers of War was very good. Zhang Yimou makes beautiful, moving, tremendous films. Could definitely see this winning Foreign Lang Oscar.

RIMBreaks Anthony Stark
@firstshowing Thoughts on Christian Bale's performance?

@firstshowing Alex Billington
@RIMBreaks Fantastic, one of his best yet, he was outstanding.

ActorAdamLopez Adam Lopez
The Flowers of War... wow.

ActorAdamLopez Adam Lopez
Truly a beautifully heartbreaking performance by Christian Bale... I am so inspired by the passion he has to the craft.

@GeneralButcher Josh Butcher
So just saw the flowers of war and then shook my favorite actors hand #christianbale movie was amazing and I hope to be as amazing as bale

DomSalvaggio Domenico Salvaggio
Christian Bale had such class, such integrity. He was great with everyone. Taking time to answer question & speak to everyone. Wow.

Saw #TheFlowersofWar Christian Bale's new film & let me assure you that he is nomination bound. Another stellar performance.

WHERE ARE THEY?!?!? I got to hang with The #Batman. Great guy. Wow. Still can't believe it. #TheDarkKnightRises twitpic.com/7pncup

mswift44 Mando Carrera
@firstshowing how was Bale in it?

@firstshowing Alex Billington
@mswift44 Bale was actually damn good, one of his best performances, he's funny but adds so much to it.

@ChipConley Chip Conley
Lucky! Telluride Fest invited us to Lucas Films screen room to watch tobereleased Chinese film The Flowers of War. Top 5 films ever! See it!

@twotrey23
just out of Zhang Yimou's THE FLOWERS OF WAR & wants to see more of the lead actress, Ni Ni. Remember the name... *stunning*

@greggrusby Greg Grusby
Attended a screening of 'Flowers of War' last evening - Amazingly powerful film - I highly recommend it. #Oscarbuzz

Movie Clip:

[YT]dPNAallWbGk[/YT]

Looking forward to seeing it
ok.gif

The photography in this movie is just gorgeous.

Okay China, we get it, long live the People"s Republic. We get that you hate the Japanese, and foreign devils (Once Upon a Time in China movies, Fist of Legend, Bodyguard and Assassins, Hero, Ip Man, Fearless, etc, etc.)

As tragic as the Rape of Nanking was, I can't get myself to watch anymore anti-Japanese Chinese movies.

Okay China, we get it, long live the People"s Republic. We get that you hate the Japanese, and foreign devils (Once Upon a Time in China movies, Fist of Legend, Bodyguard and Assassins, Hero, Ip Man, Fearless, etc, etc.)

As tragic as the Rape of Nanking was, I can't get myself to watch anymore anti-Japanese Chinese movies.

Yeah, let's just forget all about the things the Axis powers did in WW2. That's just tired BS, right? I bet you can't stand the anti-German slant in all the movies made about the Shoah or the war in Europe. :dry:

Your trollish argument loses all credibility right at the beginning when it's pretty clear this movie has a "foreign devil" as one of the lead hero characters, unless I'm mistaken and Christian Bale is Chinese.

This looks to be more about the American accent white guy running around while voilins play than the actual horrific, hell like event. It looks tame as hell. The crap the Japanese done make the Nazis look civil in comparison.

Yeah, let's just forget all about the things the Axis powers did in WW2. That's just tired BS, right? I bet you can't stand the anti-German slant in all the movies made about the Shoah or the war in Europe. :dry:

Your trollish argument loses all credibility right at the beginning when it's pretty clear this movie has a "foreign devil" as one of the lead hero characters, unless I'm mistaken and Christian Bale is Chinese.

Relax PR,

If you saw the movies I mentioned in parenthesis, you would know what I was referring to about 'evil foreigners' theme. I'm not being a troll, I'm simply frustrated with repetitious HK movies using xenophobic themes.

Actor Christian Bale, CNN crew roughed up trying to visit Chinese activist

In China, after he finished shooting his new movie "Flowers of War", actor Christian Bale traveled with a CNN crew to visit Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng. The "Batman" actor said he admired and wanted to meet Chen, a blind self-taught lawyer who has spoken out against China's One Child policy and forced sterilizations. Chen and his family have been under house arrest in their Shandong Province village for some time now, but as recently as last week, the government had apparently eased restrictions on the Chen family allowing them to receive a delivery of medicine, and permitting his 70-year-old mother to go out and get groceries.

China's Christian Bale PR Nightmare

China has a lot riding on "The Flowers of War." At $100 million, not only is it the biggest-budget Chinese movie ever, and its entrant for the foreign film Academy Award. It's also China's best hope to crack the U.S. domestic box office, and to demonstrate that its films have global appeal.

With a non-Chinese star, Christian Bale, and with about 40 percent of the dialogue shot in English, the fate of the film is also being closely watched in Hollywood, where American moviemakers are looking Eastward with longing. Co-producing with a Chinese studio is a way to end-run the Chinese quota on foreign films, which restricts distribution of imported movies to 20 a year. China is on track to have the most movie screens on the planet -- a lot of yuan for Hollywood to hanker for -- so U.S. producers are searching for the right creative formula to attract both domestic and foreign audiences.
I will say that if they wanted a star who wasn't going to stir up trouble, casting Christian Bale was probably a bad idea. :woot:

Seriously, he and China are ****ing done professionally.

Last edited:
I can watch anything in which christian bale stars. He is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"