DC TV Series The Penguin MAX show

Invader Joker

Superhero
Reaction score

The streamer is in early development on a series centered on Batman villain the Penguin. The potential show would be a spinoff of Warner Bros. feature film The Batman, which is due for a March 2022 release. Matt Reeves and Dylan Clark, who are directing and producing the film, will be executive producers on the project.

Colin Farrell plays the Penguin, a crime lord whose given name is Oswald Cobblepot, in The Batman and has been approached about continuing the role in the series. No deal is in place yet.

HBO Max declined comment.

Lauren LeFranc (YouTube’s Impulse, Agents of SHIELD) is attached to write a script for the TV project, which would focus on Cobblepot’s rise through the Gotham City underworld. Should the project make it to series, it would be the second direct spinoff of The Batman for HBO Max: A show centered on the Gotham City police scored a straight to series order in July 2020.

Thrilled to bits. Glad to see the character getting his due.

Between this, the films and the GCPD show they've got cooking, this looks set to be the most elaborate and comprehensive lice-action Batman universe yet.

Kind of curious how you do a whole series devoted to the Penguin.

Kind of curious how you do a whole series devoted to the Penguin.
I actually think it's a very good premise for a show. How does a seemingly low-level gangster go from that to becoming the kingpin of the most crime-infested city that's also being protected by a vigilante?

I get the thought, but it’s a crime show at the end of the day. Fleshing out ideas for that is the least of their problem. It being about an established character with history will just give them somewhere to start, not limit their work… hopefully.

Pumped! It's clear WB is super happy with Reeves vision and now we are gonna see that vision fleshed out even more.

Pumped! It's clear WB is super happy with Reeves vision and now we are gonna see that vision fleshed out even more.
Absolutely.Cant wait to see this.I hope it's like a mix between Scarface and New Jack City.Two classic gangster films with a bomb ass soundtrack.Hope it's on the level as the MCU shows on Disney +.

We havent even see the film and they already talk about spinoffs, weird.

now this is a show i could very well see Pattinson popping up in

Rad.

This show's gonna be a goddamn blast to watch

I'm so excited for this. Farrell was outstanding as Penguin, and I'm ready to see more of him. He ate up every scene that he was in.

OH YEAH!

After this Soprano/Scarface limited series give me - between The Batman 2 and The Batman 3 - a series about how Harvey Dent becomes Two Face inspired to Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul...

... Sorry, erotic dreamssss... lol

I'll wait to see a trailer, but for now Penguin was a great character in the movie, but not enough to warrant a tv spin off. If we didn't live in this era of streaming where these companies are trying to boost their subscribers I'd be more open, but this comes off as more content building than a genuine extension of a story. Even then, of all the characters, Penguin, even this one, is not someone you build a series around. At least Catwoman would make more sense. There's at least the good will of the film behind it, but it's not exactly exciting.

Even then, of all the characters, Penguin, even this one, is not someone you build a series around. At least Catwoman would make more sense.

Why? How?

Idk if there's more or less to explore between the two of them. One is the daughter of a mobster turned cat burglar and the other is a mid-level mobster with aspirations to run the underworld , maybe the city as a whole. At their cores, they're crime dramas and there's plenty to work with there, especially within a city like Gotham and the lore that this world has at it's disposal.

As far as companies vying with streaming projects, that's just how it is now. It's no different than 30-40 years ago with everything looking to get a sequel.

OH YEAH!

After this Soprano/Scarface limited series give me - between The Batman 2 and The Batman 3 - a series about how Harvey Dent becomes Two Face inspired to Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul...

... Sorry, erotic dreamssss... lol
I would like to see a " And Justice For All " inspired Dent series where he could just go crazy on court and cast an actor who can emulate Pacino in the 70s. Abbott is the right man for that

Last edited:
With how damn good Farrell was in the role, I NEED to see more of him as soon as possible haha. He really stole every scene he was in, and I think there's a lot of potential to explore even more layers of his character here. Plus, it allows us to be back in that world sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"