• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The reason the trailer is so divisive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is there's a disconnect with the JL images and the Avengers images. Because JL image is so hyper stylised and dark there's not a great deal there for your brain to interpret as being real. Avengers image looks like real life in comparison. Things blend together better and thus your brain has an easy time accepting it as looking better and more believable.

For some people.

There are some people who don't need to be fooled into thinking something is actually real. Much like has been the case for decades of film, we already know what we're watching is not real, and is a piece of entertainment art. Decent effects and performances and imagination helps to make it feel real.

Aside from the effects not being completely finished, I'm not even sure what looks all that "fake" about the images in the Justice League trailer, to be honest.

There's a certain sense of "It's dark, so it looks fake", but how accurate is that? A lot of the shots are at night or in shadowy conditions, true.

It's dark in those conditions. It's harder to see things, even in real life. If, in real life, a real Aquaman was leaping into the air and being threatened by alien fire/laser weapons, and we were viewing it from a distance and through some kind of haze, who is to say that it wouldn't look a lot like the above picture? The CGI artists do a lot of research and work with lighting and so on to reflect real world conditions and to light characters for film.

Last edited:
Oh so now all of a sudden it's divisive? Why exactly isn't the skepticism thread good enough for the negative crowd?

Oh so now all of a sudden it's divisive? Why exactly isn't the skepticism thread good enough for the negative crowd?

Because they want the whole world to know how much they dislike this trailer.
Once they've accomplished their mission they'll come back to the excitement thread and they'll shout:
giphy.gif

I think the film still looks too dark and murky considering DC have said they are going for a lighter touch. Other than that, it's not bad exactly but I can see why people are waiting for the next justice league before getting too optimistic

Interesting thoughts, Wolfgang. I'll be honest, earlier today I was baffled as to why there was such a divisive reaction because, to me, we got a trailer with a bunch of kickass scenes of the JL members doing JL things, so I was like "what exactly were people wanting from a JL trailer? A bunch of talking?" lol This explains a lot and understandable. Its all down to taste.

The problem is this.
The Avengers beat the Justice League to the punch. So they can't really try and do the exact same thing. They've got to do something fresh, carve out their own lane and still please the core audiences (like the Avengers does)

Thats tough.

Also with the Man of Steel reaction it forced Snyder back to what he knows.

I'd rather Snyder be comfortable with what he's doing.

Lets just hope it works out. Its probably Snyder's last DCEU film anyway.

Last edited:
Seriously though, is the trailer divisive? Few reviews I've stumbled upon have been mostly positive so far.

Key word being "stumbled". I don't really pay attention to these, so I wouldn't know, but this thread got me curious.

Zack Snyder's favorite artist is Frank Frazetta. Hyper stylized is to be expected.

@KW

No, it isn't. By and large the response is positive.

I monitor these things.

For some people.

There are some people who don't need to be fooled into thinking something is actually real. Much like has been the case for decades of film, we already know what we're watching is not real, and is a piece of entertainment art. Decent effects and performances and imagination helps to make it feel real.

Aside from the effects not being completely finished, I'm not even sure what looks all that "fake" about the images in the Justice League trailer, to be honest.

There's a certain sense of "It's dark, so it looks fake", but how accurate is that? A lot of the shots are at night or in shadowy conditions, true.

It's dark in those conditions. It's harder to see things, even in real life. If, in real life, a real Aquaman was leaping into the air and being threatened by alien fire/laser weapons, and we were viewing it from a distance and through some kind of haze, who is to say that it wouldn't look a lot like the above picture? The CGI artists do a lot of research and work with lighting and so on to reflect real world conditions and to light characters for film.

It's the contrast between light and dark that's what's off putting not just the dark itself. Real life generally doesn't look as contrasted as what is depicted here. The imagery has basically had photoshop style effects to make the whites stand out more against the darks. Most films will use the full spectrum of mid-tones to give a natural look, Snyder's style is almost a black and white approach with little emphasis on the greys. You can make very awesome looking imagery with that technique, I know I've done similar high contrast artwork myself in the past, but you lose a more natural look not using the full mid-tone colour pallet.

Just a discussion folks. No need to get angry. Getting people with various view points to discuss can help others see things they've missed. For example I was underwhelmed this morning but I've grown to like it much more after understanding what excites people about it.

Just a discussion folks. No need to get angry. Getting people with various view points to discuss can help others see things they've missed. For example I was underwhelmed this morning but I've grown to like it much more after understanding what excites people about it.

There's already a discussion thread where you could've made your point. This brand new one is redundant.

Much like Wolfgang himself.

Sorry, mate. I couldn't help myself. :woot:

Seriously though, is the trailer divisive? Few reviews I've stumbled upon have been mostly positive so far.

Key word being "stumbled". I don't really pay attention to these, so I wouldn't know, but this thread got me curious.

Screen Junkies, Cinemasins aren't fans of it.

It's the contrast between light and dark that's what's off putting not just the dark itself. Real life generally doesn't look as contrasted as what is depicted here. The imagery has basically had photoshop style effects to make the whites stand out more against the darks. Most films will use the full spectrum of mid-tones to give a natural look, Snyder's style is almost a black and white approach with little emphasis on the greys. You can make very awesome looking imagery with that technique, I know I've done similar high contrast artwork myself in the past, but you lose a more natural look not using the full mid-tone colour pallet.

I understand that, but that's essentially a complaint about his "filter", isn't it? Not how realistic the actual physical elements of the movie look.

I understand that, but that's essentially a complaint about his "filter", isn't it? Not how realistic the actual physical elements of the movie look.

It all plays a part. The more removed something is from what we perceive in real life the less likely we are to believe it on screen. Maybe if the film didn't have such a dynamic overlay of contrast it would look better to people. It's hard enough to make believable CGI, when you start adding in additional effects on top you're just making it even harder for it to come across as something tangible.

It all plays a part. The more removed something is from what we perceive in real life the less likely we are to believe it on screen. Maybe if the film didn't have such a dynamic overlay of contrast it would look better to people. It's hard enough to make believable CGI, when you start adding in additional effects on top you're just making it even harder for it to come across as something tangible.

Yep, Snyder just doesn't do verisimilitude. He wants a comic book on screen. Which people either love, or don't, depending on their personal taste.

There's already a discussion thread where you could've made your point. This brand new one is redundant.

There's 2 actually, this could have easily been posted in the trailer reaction thread; there's a poll and everything.

I'll probably look up screen junkies at some point. They might (emphasis on "might") have some good points.

Screen Junkies are hardly objective. They've been making up rumors for a while now. They have a vested interest in maintaining a certain narrative since they've already attracted a certain type of viewer. It's all very well documented on here.

Yep, Snyder just doesn't do verisimilitude. He wants a comic book on screen. Which people either love, or don't, depending on their personal taste.

That's the problem with comics themselves. People either love them or hate them. And why WB would allow someone to try and do something that will result in the same thing happening on a film is perplexing to me.

Screen Junkies are hardly objective. They've been making up rumors for a while now. They have a vested interest in maintaining a certain narrative since they've already attracted a certain type of viewer. It's all very well documented on here.

I agree. However, I find that they can make a good point every once in a while. They are more miss than a hit, though.

Screen Junkies, Cinemasins aren't fans of it.

Oh and I'm sure DoubleToasted is going to hate it as well. Korey Goodwin will hate the music, Martin will be mad because Batman said his superpower is that he's rich, and they will all complain about the CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"