The Reviews Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers' started by Kargo Warrior, Jun 19, 2007.

1. CFlash Registered

LOL!!! Not since Snakes on a Plane has Crap-Cinema gotten so much Internet Love. Man, Bay really knows his target his audience. Say it with me: "I'm dumb and I'm proud!"

2. The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

Heh. Seriously though, it's really not hard to "nitpick" idiocy out of the amateur reviews that have been submitted so far.

My point was that anyone who has already started crowing about "all the positive reviews" TF is getting is guilty of jumping the gun. Let's wait until some known posters around here or actual critics get a chance to see the film before we all drop to our knees and unzip Bay's fly.

3. CrashNburn Another Me they'll Nvr Be

this movie looks incredible with the tv spots alone.

4. The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

5. shigsy2003 I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!

A rather strange review from Variety. It's refreshing to hear someone's opinion that isn't completely positive but I am not sure what he didn't like about it either.

6. spideyo Registered

7. Kargo Warrior Scientist

Emanuel Levy gave it B + ....HELL YEAH

http://emanuellevy.com/article.php?articleID=6058

Is "Transformers" the "E.T." for the new, postmodern millennium? A shrewd, highly entertaining, action-driven saga that makes the most of all the technological innovations of the past decade, "Transformers" is the movie event of the summer season, next to which the other sequels, from Spidey to Shrek to Captain Sparrow to Die Hard 4 seem pale—-like yesterday's news.

8. Kargo Warrior Scientist

And there is another fresh review on Rotten tomatoes

9. Nivek Registered

This thread needs to be cleaned out (from all the negative stupidity) and stickied on top here.

10. Naite22 Registered

damn those are BIG words!!!!!!!! awesome!!! can't wait. That review is great!

and tjeck out what he ALSO SAYS! (which should have every one sigh with relief!)

Quote:
    Bay's detractors may find sufficient ammunition to criticize his work, which is rather escapist and not too deep. But it's all relative: "Transformers" is way above his previous sentimental and senseless actioners, like "Pearl Harbor," "Armageddon," and "The Rock."
    End Quote.

11. kal-el2006 Registered

"There's no denying that a mega-effort like "Transformers" calls for a different set of skills. If this picture represents a new trend, then Bay may redefine the role of the Hollywood director in the new millennium, one who's much more of a facilitator or orchestrator of special effects technology, vis-a-vis plot and human actors, than a helmer committed to precise mise-en-scene, poignant plots, and in-depth characterization."

gotta love this qoute..im so amped for this movie!

12. spideyo Registered

That's awesome. Let's see what happens in next week ahead. I'm still very positive though that the positives will outnumber the negatives. I guess this movie is really more than what meets the eye.

13. The Guardian Forever In Darkness

NICE, SOUNDS GOOD SO FAR, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS!!!:cool::up:

14. Tempest19 Registered

Fckin' A!!!!

One thing that I found very interesting is this:

"As a 2007 movie, penned by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, and John Rogers, "Transformers" is linked to the zeitgeist in many complex, and even contradictory, ways. Bay and his associates have made no secret that they had actively sought the military involvement in the production (See Comment). In sequences, you can spot a gung-ho spirit that recalls vantage 1980s "Reagan" inspired movies, such as "Top Gun" and other right-wing flicks. But overall the film is careful enough not to take this perspective to an extreme and counters it with more contemporaneous political touches, with more than one reference to the current administration."

Interesting... two critics pointed that out, so it has to be there. Transformers may be more political than meets the eye?

Last time I remembered hearing politics brought up summer movie time was 'Revenge of the Sith'! "If you're not with me, you're my enemy!"

15. Substance D Registered

I think Lucas already beat Bay to that. At least Bay's movies are fun and entertaining.

16. Goodfellas Registered

Thats obsurd....... ever heard of every once ina while going to see movie just to have fun and see hot chicks and **** blowing up? have alittle fun?

you know not every movie has to be some melo dramtic movie

a movie thats just a fun summmer pop corn flick is always fun to go watch

17. CFlash Registered

I like Attack and Revenge but I do wish Lucas had taken a step back and given the reigns to someone else and played overseer like he did with Empire. It must suck for him that that movie is still considered the epitome of Star Wars.

From that review, this is VERY heartening.
    "...turns out to be a more unified and slightly more involving film than is the norm with summer flicks, probably due to Spielberg's aggressive yet welcome creative interference."
    :up:

What sucks for me is that it's right-wing political. Which is what I've been saying all along. All of Bay's movies are (in non-overt ways). I also don't like the "racial stereotypes abound" quote from the first review. But, hey, what are ya gonna do, right?

18. Mr Jide Registered

:wow: :woot:

19. tviceman Registered

I sort of wish politics, at least today-centric politics, could be left out of Transformers, but as long as it's not deadpan obvious I'm okay with it.

That being said, one reviewer (can't remember which) pointed out one particular scene in the movie that made an obvious reference to the "speak english or get out" idea..... I can't help but laugh and smile at that.

20. CFlash Registered

As a college educated, successful profesional, with a spanish-speaking mother who never quite mastered the English language no matter how hard she tried, that sort of right-wing sh**t makes my blood boil, I tell ya.

I hope Bay keeps his jingoistic stuff to a minimum in this movie. Transformers was never a Gung-ho "carpet bomb those suckas" video to me. Just the opposite.

21. The Kid AMERICA FTW

this movie's going to blow our skin off with its awesomenessssssssssss!!!

22. tviceman Registered

I wasn't trying to start a massive political debate or put down anyone. I was just merely saying that despite my displeasure for politcally laced non-political films, I still find humor in some of those things.

As a college educated, successful professional, with an Italian-speaking grandfather who was in the same boat as your mom, I understand both sides of the coin. But it doesn't piss me off.

23. kal-el2006 Registered

not sure if this review was posted already but..

REVIEW: Transformers is the movie of the summer...
    'Transformers' blows Spidey, Sparrow and Surfer away!
    by Steve Mason

When the dust settles from this 2007 summer of sequels, one movie will stand above all others. For originality and excitement and action and special effects and flat-out fun, the hands-down winner is Transformers (Dreamworks/Paramount). When all is said and done, I'll be surprised if this testosterone-injected thrill ride doesn't finish as the top-grossing movie of the year.

A generation of boys (and some girls) grew up on Transformers toys, cartoons and comic books in the '80s, and those same fans, now in their late 20s and early 30s, are ready to introduce their kids to this major touchstone of their collective childhood. Michael Bay was the ideal choice to direct the new movie. He can choreograph action and "blow stuff up" with the best of 'em, and he's always been on the cutting edge of movie special effects because of his stake in Digital Domain. On top of everything that Bay bring, however, Steven Spielberg's fingerprints are unmistakable. As Executive Producer, he has managed to inject into Transformers the sweetness, humor and sense of wonder that are the hallmarks of his best work.

For the uninitiated, there are two kinds of Transformers. The Decepticons are hell-bent on dominating the universe, and they've set their sights on taking control of Earth. Then there are the Autobots, a benevolent class of robot who prefer peaceful coexistence with humans. Both breeds have the ability to disguise themselves as cars or trucks or boomboxes or cellular phones or just about anything.

The movie starts in the Middle East with a spectacular attack on a U.S. military base by a Decepticon known as Blackout (in a second skirmish, Blackout becomes a crazy-cool robot scorpion). One of the soldiers at the base is Captain Lennox (played by Josh Duhamel of NBC's Las Vegas), a sturdy American who looks forward to holding his newborn baby girl on his next trip home. Back in the States, suburban high school nerd Sam Witwicky is angling for his first car. Played by the white-hot Shia LaBeouf (Disturbia), Sam is funny, goofy and endearing. His car, a rusted-out yellow Camaro, essentially picks him, and it turns out to be an Autobot named Bumblebee.

The story is told through Captain Lennox and Sam, who find themselves in the middle of a full-scale robot war with nothing less than the fate of humanity hanging in the balance. Not being of the Transformers generation myself (I just missed out, graduating from high school in 1983), I didn't go in knowing the mythology, but it didn't really matter. The backstory is explained just enough without bogging the movie down. Plus, this is over-the-top summer fun, not a "think piece."

The special effects in Transformers are the best I have ever seen. Since the advent of CGI, I've often come away from the movies thinking that the effects look fake. The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, Robert Patrick as the liquid metal T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgement Day and the ship sinking in Titanic are all excellent effects for their time, but the Autobots and Decepticons are in a different league. They look real. Period.

The robot transformations are amazing to watch. Many of them happen quickly, but there is one that is especially noteworthy. The leader of the Autobots is Optimus Prime (revered by every Transformers fan). When he first transforms from semi cab to robot, it happens slowly and with great drama. You're able to see how much detail goes into this transition as, piece-by-piece, Optimus rises in all of his glory.

There are some nifty Spielberg touches along the way. After an Autobot crash lands in a swimming pool, a little girl with a stuffed animal walks outside to see what happened. Slowly, a huge robot emerges from the pool, and the little girl's face, bathed in moonlight, is filled with awe and wonder. When Sam is courting his girlfriend-to-be (Megan Fox), his car (Bumblebee) changes stations on the radio to provide the proper mood music (like Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On"). And, most notably, there's the relationship between Sam and Bumblebee. When this yellow-and-black robot gets in trouble, you can read very human pain on its face, and there are shades of the sort of emotional bond we saw between Elliot and E.T.

The movie flies at breakneck pace toward a robot battle royale. It's Optimus Prime, Bumblebee and the Autobots vs. Megatron and the Decepticons, and this is Bay at his best. The effects are an astounding whirr of changing forms and perfectly choreographed transitions, in the midst of an incredible chase, filled with explosions and blasts and detonations. In addition to the visual effects people, the sound guys and sound editors will also be recognized at the Oscars. The squealing of tires, the metal-on-metal scraping and the rumbling of oncoming giant robots makes for a visceral, one-of-a-kind moviegoing experience.

24. Naite22 Registered

^ seen it... but, it's GOOOOOD!