Transformers The Reviews Thread

This is the 2nd or 3rd review I;ve seen where the person mentioned that the battle scenes move so fast they lose track of who is who. I think this is an instance where us spoiling outrselves for 2 years actually comes in handy. More than likely we won't lose track since we know the characters and their designs so well at this point.

So you prefer the far superior reviews that are posted AICN to someone who tries to give a non-biased, realistic review of the movie?

Exactly. I'm totally rooting for this film but I know no film is perfect, every film has flaws. This guys review wasn't even that harsh and its getting **** already.

Also, it appears he's not a fan of what this movie has to offer. He's complaining that, "in its third act the movie suffers a tonal blowout, and becomes a furious assault on the senses" when I think an assault on my senses is exactly how I'd want a Transformer's film to end.

NO WAY MAN!!!

I want Optimus and Ironhide to sit down with Megatron and discuss their feelings indepthly, with perhaps a dash of quirky and subtle british humor.

The reviewer is on crack...he is trying pretty hard to throw dirt on this movie....

This is like reviewing 'The Shawshank Redemption' and saying....

'Though witty, and very uplifting, this movie severly missed at the chance for some rather extravagant action sequences and pulse pounding rape scenes, the director clearly dropped the ball when Andy was busting that pipe with the rock, and the pipe did not explode in slow motion'

This is like reviewing 'The Shawshank Redemption' and saying....

'Though witty, and very uplifting, this movie severly missed at the chance for some rather extravagant action sequences and pulse pounding rape scenes, the director clearly dropped the ball when Andy was busting that pipe with the rock, and the pipe did not explode in slow motion'
:D :word:

This is the 2nd or 3rd review I;ve seen where the person mentioned that the battle scenes move so fast they lose track of who is who. I think this is an instance where us spoiling outrselves for 2 years actually comes in handy. More than likely we won't lose track since we know the characters and their designs so well at this point.

I honestly think this particular review was by someone who:
1) Refuses to like any of Bay's work
2) isn't a big fan of action films

I didn't think the review was all that negative. And you can take away what you want from it. Some people like "assault on the senses" finale. Some people (as they have said several times here) don't care for "emotional weight or involvement" and some people do.

Please don't tell me that the people who have said the negatrons want Citizen Kane-or-else (I prefer Terminator) will now be upset when a reviewer(s) says the movie is exactly not that. He didn't say the movie sucked, after all.

That falls on the original robot designers then. The robots having almost the same paint scheme (Decepticons being different shades of grey and black) and the overcomplicated overall designs are to blame for any general audience confusion. I think you're right in that we'll be able to easily identify which robot is which even during the flurry of action sequences...so our geekiness will benefit us then :woot:

robot confusion is a product of complicated robot designs along with unclear editing/shots.

It was tough telling who was who during Saving Private Ryan also :)

War is bad place, kids :)

Seriously though, nothing wrong with the review. If it was slow and less brutal, people would be thrown out of the film when Optimus never once was thrown through a building, etc..

I didn't think the review was all that negative. And you can take away what you want from it. Some people like "assault on the senses" finale. Some people (as they have said several times here) don't care for "emotional weight or involvement" and some people do.

And something else to keep in mind is how exactly this "assault on the senses" is carried out. I don't have anything against continuous slam-bang action scenes, but there's a way to do them right (Aliens, X2, LOTR) and a way to totally screw them up (Batman and Robin, Van Helsing, Matrix sequels).

Its the summer movies are supposed to be action packed. Movies are supposed to make u wonder. If i want to watch something realistic i'll watch the discovery channel.

And something else to keep in mind is how exactly this "assault on the senses" is carried out. I don't have anything against continuous slam-bang action scenes, but there's a way to do them right (Aliens, X2, LOTR) and a way to totally screw them up (Batman and Robin, Van Helsing, Matrix sequels).

That is the issue that I had with Batman Begins. Its one thing for them to try and place the viewer amidst the action/fighting to enhance the senses. Its another to film something so close that you couldn't tell what the bad place was going on. :cmad:

Don't know if this has been posted...add it to the pile. http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home/view.asp?a=13228&s=Reviews

Review by Andrew L. Urban:
If the whoops and clapping during the premiere at Sydney's Entertainment Quarter is anything to go by, Transformers has hit its mark among young people, especially young males, and most especially among those who are fascinated by the Transformer concept - and of course among those who work in or aspire to working in (or just love watching) digital effects. (For those who don't know, the Transformer concept takes the shape of (usually) a car which can be transformed into a robotic figure.)

In the film, these robots - the evil Decepticons and the goodie Autobots - are coming to Earth from outer space to find the source of ultimate power, which is in the possession of nerdy teenager Sam (Shia LABoeuf). So far the plot is more or less coherent (with help from the press notes), but then it transforms itself into a whirling, catapulting, multi-faceted affair that defies adult understanding.

Matters are made more obscure by the filmmaking style, in which robotic fights are staged with such ferocity and so little context that we lose the plot. Shia LaBoeuf and Megan Fox appeal to the target market, as does Tasmanian lass Rachael Taylor in a support role, while old hands like Jon Voight and John Tarturro relish their larger than life roles.

It's Mayhen Bayhem as Michael Bay destroys, wrecks, blows up and demolishes anything that stands or rolls in pursuit of a noisy and flashy action movie to satisfy the imaginations of a young audience. He also injects plenty of adolescent humour (as cheesy as the film's tone) to ensure that silliness damps down the sense of violence. The sound design rattles the cinema seats (or should, if your cinema gets it right) - which is another reason for under 30s to enjoy it. It does what it does well - if you like that sort of thing.

Review by Louise Keller:
It's long and loud and everything about it is big - from the massive stunts, the pounding orchestral score and the transformers themselves, which tower above everything and everyone in this mega-budget sci-fi adventure. The young males at whom the film is targeted will revel in it all, this testosterone world filled with action and boys' toys. 'No sacrifice, no victory,' is the film's moral, as good is pitted against evil when extra terrestrials invade the Earth. Transformers bears the Michael Bay seal of approval, which means it counters subtlety, scarcity and restraint.

Cars fly through the air, explosions boom at high decibels, roads crumble, helicopters crash and gargantuan transformers gyrate their gymnastics as they miraculously change their form. The film is one giant spectacle with considerable entertainment value, although it is overlong, heavy handed, and the stunts become increasingly repetitive and (dare I say it?) a tad boring after a while. Shia LaBeouf is most appealing as Sam, the schoolboy who gets to save the world (as well as getting a car and a girl). He doesn't pick the car (the car picks him), but sultry Megan Fox's Mikaela is definitely his own choice.

One of the funniest sequences is when Sam is tries to hide the presence of the giant transformers from his father. 'This is my back yard, not a truck stop,' he complains to Mikaela, when the transformers in their guise of trucks, make their way to his house. John Turturro, wearing outlandish underwear, is a scene stealer, and there's a cute, bling-wearing Chihuahua with a leg in plaster called Mojo who milks numerous laughs: 'It's gonna rust,' complains one transformer, when the little canine pees on his leg. At the Australian Premiere, an enthusiastic audience cheered and applauded every time a car, truck or mobile phone converted into a transformer. There is no doubt that dollars will multiply and transform when the film hits the cinemas.

They wouldn't be able to tell who was in the old TF cartoons either. They only slightly differ in shape and size in any format.

That is the issue that I had with Batman Begins. Its one thing for them to try and place the viewer amidst the action/fighting to enhance the senses. Its another to film something so close that you couldn't tell what the bad place was going on. :cmad:
LOL!! I thought the screen at my theaters went off because all I saw was a black screen and hear the flapping and slapping. I know Batman isnt going to be pulling Spider-man like stuff but he can certainly pull at least some Batarangs out!!:cmad:

I agree.

So you prefer the far superior reviews that are posted AICN to someone who tries to give a non-biased, realistic review of the movie?

No, I simply prefer interviews from people who actually give a crap about the source material and have an understanding of it. I also dont like underlying thumbnosing of genre fans. But hey, like I said above, I'm just waiting for all the dickish reviews that will come from fanboys and snobs who never really gave this flick a fair chance.

The sound in this movie is going to be immersive and fantastic. I cannot WAIT until I hear it, specially in THX. ><;;;

I feel sorry for the hard of hearing and the hard of seeing. THey are gonna be so confused. :(

In addition, I am glad the scenes will be so action packed. There will be new things to see at in awe upon multiple viewings.

this movie will be awesome. bad place, I want to see giant robots fighting now!

TheLizard said:
and a way to totally screw them up (Batman and Robin, Van Helsing, Matrix sequels).

The matrix sequels were aweosme wtf are you talking about. To put them in the same league as B&R is just pure insulting. Wtf. Obviously your not a fan or payed the slightest attention to them. You just insulted me and everyone who enjoyed the matrix. I feel like I want to throw up. Seriously. Batman and Robin?! This crap is coming from someone who obbsesses over Transformers dont tell me the matrix sucked!!!! The action scenes in the matrix reloaded and revolutions made perfect sense and if you payed attention to the script its highly deep and in depth. If you pay the slightest attention to this site youll realise that the matrix should not ever be compared to B&R!

http://www.matrix-explained.com

Never, ever, talk down the matrix reloaded again, its one of the best movies ever made in the 21st century and its special effects are the best for its time.

The matrix had class, and thats something transformers probably wont have, im sorry to say. The matrix had fantastic writing, writing from a philosical standpoint of which you must watch the film more then twice to understand whats really going on. The matrix trilogy was more then a summer epic, it was a film series that will forever be known to people who understand science fiction and life. I am deeply insulted by your statement!!!! Dammit, obviously you havent seen past the action in the matrix reloaded and saw what truley lies beneath its flesh. Transformers is a summer blockbuster. The matrix was more then that.

I advise you go back and watch the matrix sequels with more insight, and finally realise that the general public was wrong.

Here's another review. Good or bad, you be the judge of that. It doesn't sound that bad to me. Its probably the example of that negative review not being that negative, like FigmanJ said.

Transformers
Brent Simon in Los Angeles
22 Jun 2007 00:00

That said, Bay makes certain that the audience isn't left wanting for action, erring on the side of distended, explosive set pieces, as he did most recently in both Bad Boys II and The Island. Trading in the sort of emphatic, canted close-ups and adrenalised style that have been his hallmark throughout his career, Bay, working with cinematographer Mitchell Amundsen (Transporter 2), delivers quick-cut action made up of individually effective, sometimes even iconic shots.
that's awesome, this guy will be working on the new hulk..as he did on Unleashed as well!!!

The problem, for those sensitive to matters of rationality is that Bay, for all his arguable skill as a conjurer of sugar-rush catharsis, frequently creates escape through reverse shots rather than any sort of sensible internal story logic. There is little sense of spatial coherence, and even less artful massaging of tension.

At several points during Transformers, a character will duck under an object that moments ago was out of reach in the frame, outrun a robot whose stride is 20 times greater, or pop up on a motorcycle apropos of nothing. The action, then, becomes the cinematic equivalent of a false show-and-tell exercise &#8212; bravura demonstration lacking any rooted truth, emotional weight or involvement.

it's like this people

go watch that bonecrusher vs Optimus again...and that BoneCrusher transformation

this guys half right it's crazy and isn't left to right action and the camera is hella close and the designs merge into each other...

thing is...that's not a problem to anyone who can watch these clips and not get fed up...

sure bay get's close on BC's transformation and u can't make heads or tails of it...but that' just to immerse us into the process..we'll come out when all is said and done and see the character in his full glory...i guess watching his transformation from 50feet away would be just as wonderfull...if not more clear...:o

the blending issues...it's like this
when BC and optimus fall of the bridge u do have a hard time telling whose who...but who ****1ng cares...the same sh1t would happen if Josh lucas and Matt Macanouhay(sp) were in same situation....it's far away, their falling fast, and they both got blonde hair...and white skin....
sorry if the designs are consistant...these are all aliens from the same planet...they look the same...lucky for us they have different colours and girths...snipes and i are like twins from far away
maybe if optimus was more blue and BC was more brown:o

ducking under objects that aren't in the frame of reference?
that's just an idiot

welcome to none wide screen/angle filming
watch any spiderman swinging sequence...he bends and twists even before **** enters the frame...
BC and optimus crash through a highway wall before u even see the wall....oh no...

please

you want to see a special effects movie done wrong? Then look at B&R, Fantastic 4, 3 Fast 3 Furious or whatever the bad place its called, Ghost Rider, these are all done horribly. I study film and trust me the people who made those movies cared nothing about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"