The Rings of Power Season 1 Episode 7 "The Eye"

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
OvvfST7.jpg

99839eb9eece857ed2c555725c9d650d45fa67f3.gifv

Last edited:
Not a big fan of this episode. Some questionable story decisions aside, the jumping around between 4 storylines was back and choppier than ever, which was just frustrating to watch after the focus of episode 6.

Some good character moments and performances (particularly with the Elrond/dwarves stuff, just don't get me started on the mithril thing) but the show needs to figure out how to juggle or connect these storylines more effectively. Or it needs to get rid of some of them. It's just too jarring and awkward and makes everything feel off.

Yeah, one thing I think they need to do is stop drawing out stuff when we know what will inevitably happen. We know the Dwarves will eventually mine mithril and awaken the Balrog; I don’t mind that it takes Durin IV and Elrond some time to convince Durin III to do so, but I feel like they could have resolved it in this episode instead of dragging that subplot into the finale or longer. It’s sort of like Pharazon’s annoying son blowing up the ships a few episodes ago; all it did was delay the inevitable voyage to Middle-earth a little bit.

I’m not saying that I want characters to just spin on a dime to move the plot forward (that sort of thing is arguably worse) but I also don’t need to see the story completely halted when we all know that eventually something is going to happen and we’re just taking extra long to get there.

All that said, I did think there were some really nice character moments. I liked Galadriel and Theo a lot here; it was cool seeing her be more reflective and wise as she tried to steer him away from the dark path she found herself on. I also continue to enjoy the Elrond/Durin IV/Disa throuple. Elrond in particular had some really good moments here that give you a glimpse of the leader he’ll eventually become. I really liked his little speech to Durin III (even if it didn’t pan out). And Durin IV calling Elrond his brother got me a little choked up.

I guess this is an unpopular opinion but I’m not as big on the Harfoot story as other fans seem to be. I’m not all that invested in the Harfoots themselves and the most interesting part of that subplot is the stranger, but even there I’m getting a little restless because I want to see things progress. Whether he’s Gandalf, Saruman, a Blue Wizard, or something else entirely, I need more there. I did enjoy the three cultists though and I hope we get more of them in the finale.

Lastly, it looks like Halbrand and Galadriel are headed to Lindon, where Elrond is presumably going as well with a little bit of mithril. Galadriel’s ring is made of mithril… hmmm… According to Tolkien, her ring was the second one that was made but I could see them changing that up. Hmmm…

The Harfoots are divisive. I like them a lot (and the girl who plays Nori is really great) but they also might be the most expendable storyline, so I'm starting to wonder if they are costing the show more than they are adding to it because of how shaky the structure and rhythm of the show is with all the narrative juggling. Like, there were times during this episode when we cut to the Harfoots where it almost felt like as if I was watching FotR and we're in Moria and then all the sudden we cut to like a five minute scene in the Shire of Hobbits gathering food or something. Obviously not quite THAT bad, but I really did feel jerked around by this episode a good bit.

I will say this, though, it's very possible that the Harfoots storyline is headed to the most interesting S1 conclusion.

But yeah, I agree, the show (especially this episode) is drawing some things out more than it needs to. And I don't mind slow pacing that takes a lot of time on character or stage setting, but it's more just the feeling like they are needlessly delaying plot beats they could have easily already hit without sacrificing character or world-building.

I like the Harfoots fine but after nearly a whole season there has been very little progress with them. The back and forth of the Stranger's alignment has become stale and repetitive. In light of the larger structure/pacing problems of the show, it's hard to say that story has justified all of its screentime. Can't blame anyone who feels deflated when it cuts back to them at this point.

I enjoyed this episode. Galadriel and Theo was a fun new pairing. Combining a few threads is still appreciated despite this episode letting off the gas compared to the last episode. Durin and Elrond are the MVPs of this show, hell, Durin standing there is entertaining to me. His expressions are great. That said, the Dwarf/Elf plot is stalling a little too, and the mithril thing is still a bit odd.

Roll on the finale. The season has had flaws but I have enjoyed it quite a bit regardless. I hope some lessons have been learned for a better second season.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think they’ll make some adjustments with season 2 in terms of pacing and other things. As for theories on the finale and such… now I’m starting to waver a bit on the Halbrand-as-the-Witch-King theory. I’m thinking that might turn out to be Theo while Halbs might indeed be Sauron. Guess we’ll see in a week (or maybe not lol).

Ah it's all getting divided and split up again ahead of the finale. Some of the plots are just a little too slow moving. Sure they'll knock the finale out of the park but season 2 needs to be a bit more consistent.

Ah it's all getting divided and split up again ahead of the finale. Some of the plots are just a little too slow moving. Sure they'll knock the finale out of the park but season 2 needs to be a bit more consistent.

Yeah. The pacing of the previous episode was pretty much perfect. Obviously not every episode can feel that way unless it’s nonstop battles but they need to pace these types of episodes better.

Yeah, I think they’ll make some adjustments with season 2 in terms of pacing and other things. As for theories on the finale and such… now I’m starting to waver a bit on the Halbrand-as-the-Witch-King theory. I’m thinking that might turn out to be Theo while Halbs might indeed be Sauron. Guess we’ll see in a week (or maybe not lol).

This episode made me think more solidly that Halbrand is not Sauron, ha. Still not feeling certain, there's hints in either direction. It's funny to me how many people I've encountered who have said it is obviously the case, as well as how many have said it's obviously not the case.

At this point for me there has been so much built on Halbrand as a reluctant king of men with a dark past that to find out he is actually Sauron would be pretty deflating. I'm more interested in that potential than finding out he's pulling a long con.

Season 2 will certainly benefit from a lot less set-up required. They've probably taken too long doing so in this season, but that could all pay off long-term. I hope so. There's solid ground work here to build a really good show on.

This episode made me think more solidly that Halbrand is not Sauron, ha. Still not feeling certain, there's hints in either direction. It's funny to me how many people I've encountered who have said it is obviously the case, as well as how many have said it's obviously not the case.

At this point for me there has been so much built on Halbrand as a reluctant king of men with a dark past that to find out he is actually Sauron would be pretty deflating. I'm more interested in that potential than finding out he's pulling a long con.

Season 2 will certainly benefit from a lot less set-up required. They've probably taken too long doing so in this season, but that could all pay off long-term. I hope so. There's solid ground work here to build a really good show on.

Yeah; with Halbrand, I find myself not wanting him to be Sauron mostly because I really like the character and while I want to ultimately “like” Sauron (in the way that way all love a good bad guy), I think Halbrand would be more effective as a tragic hero. He clearly has a dark past, and I like the idea of him having an ultimately dark future as a Nazgûl.

But when it comes to Sauron, I’ve always viewed him as inherently cruel and brilliantly manipulative. While he might feel that he’s not doing anything wrong, there shouldn’t be any doubt in our minds as to his intentions. Halbrand seems to want to either redeem himself for past transgressions or at least leave them behind. For it all to have been a ruse would feel a bit disappointing, I think.

Yeah. The pacing of the previous episode was pretty much perfect. Obviously not every episode can feel that way unless it’s nonstop battles but they need to pace these types of episodes better.
For me it wasn’t just the battles but getting groups of characters meeting up together that I liked, rather than so many separate independent story threads needing continuous jumping about. That kind of thing can be good like in Return of the Jedi when all those characters already know each other and then split up, rather than focusing so long on the period before they all meet. Kind of like The Fellowship only meeting halfway through Return of the King after having all their individual adventures.

I also don’t want him to end up being Sauron after the way he’s been so far.

Season 2 onwards will hopefully be able to hit the ground running and take advantage of all this setup and won’t need to do it to the same extent any more.

Yeah; with Halbrand, I find myself not wanting him to be Sauron mostly because I really like the character and while I want to ultimately “like” Sauron (in the way that way all love a good bad guy), I think Halbrand would be more effective as a tragic hero. He clearly has a dark past, and I like the idea of him having an ultimately dark future as a Nazgûl.

But when it comes to Sauron, I’ve always viewed him as inherently cruel and brilliantly manipulative. While he might feel that he’s not doing anything wrong, there shouldn’t be any doubt in our minds as to his intentions. Halbrand seems to want to either redeem himself for past transgressions or at least leave them behind. For it all to have been a ruse would feel a bit disappointing, I think.
I too think Halbrand is destined to be a Nazgul, mabe even the leader and most powerful one.

god thing they wrote Mordor on the screen…because no one saw that coming

I forgot about that ha. My lord, that might be the dumbest single thing in the whole show.

I too think Halbrand is destined to be a Nazgul, mabe even the leader and most powerful one.

Nazgul (or King of the Dead) >> Sauron

This episode did wound Halbrand and put him on route to meet the elves. Perhaps he'll come by a magic ring while he's knocking about.

Last edited:
I forgot about that ha. My lord, that might be the dumbest single thing in the whole show.

Nazgul (or King of the Dead) >> Sauron

This episode did wound Halbrand and put him on route to meet the elves. Perhaps he'll come by a magic ring while he's knocking about.
I thought that of the Nine one was a leader and a higher rank than the other eight. Is that not true?

The revelation of the balrog would’ve been pretty awesome…if they hadn’t already spoiled it in the ComicCon trailer

This episode felt like a step back from the last two, which I really enjoyed. There were a lot of moving pieces, and the forward momentum is still kinda there, but the execution was a bit sloppy this week. Some strong individual scenes, but the episode as a whole didn't feel very cohesive.

I thought that of the Nine one was a leader and a higher rank than the other eight. Is that not true?

You are correct. The leader is the Witch King of Angmar. My preference would be to meet that character in the future, as he was said to be a powerful sorcerer and that could be cool to see prior to his transformation; and also it could be more tragic to have Halbrand turn into an anonymous ringwraith, fully losing himself to evil.

I found it pretty funny that the storm of ash and fire that, destroyed buildings, left many people caught in it completely unscathed, save for being dirty. The heat would have burned everyone to death, and even if that wasn't so there would only be ash and smoke to breathe. Too far, even for fantasy.

The show still feels jumbled and no storyline is thriving. Still I'll say that the dwarves are the most functional part so the scenes between the Durins and Elrond was probably some of the best character work the show has managed this far.

Yeah, the Durins have been good. Elrond has also been better when alongside them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"