The Rings of Power Season 1 Episode 7 "The Eye"

I found it pretty funny that the storm of ash and fire that, destroyed buildings, left many people caught in it completely unscathed, save for being dirty. The heat would have burned everyone to death, and even if that wasn't so there would only be ash and smoke to breathe. Too far, even for fantasy.

The show still feels jumbled and no storyline is thriving. Still I'll say that the dwarves are the most functional part so the scenes between the Durins and Elrond was probably some of the best character work the show has managed this far.

Frodo and Sam survived an eruption while being meters away of the crater…

I found it pretty funny that the storm of ash and fire that, destroyed buildings, left many people caught in it completely unscathed, save for being dirty. The heat would have burned everyone to death, and even if that wasn't so there would only be ash and smoke to breathe. Too far, even for fantasy.

I view it like I do Cobra Kai. Realistically, the whole cast should have been in jail seasons ago. But, that doesn't make a fun story. Yeah, the whole bit was unrealistic. Given everything else we've seen in this show, it doesn't break my enjoyment.

Frodo and Sam survived an eruption while being meters away of the crater…

They weren't engulfed in fire, ash and smoke though. And while I spelled out what would happen if you were as contrast I didn't say that it was funny that they survived but that they were completely unscathed while being caught out in the open. Not even their hair was singed, despite that the environment around them was completely devastated.

I view it like I do Cobra Kai. Realistically, the whole cast should have been in jail seasons ago. But, that doesn't make a fun story. Yeah, the whole bit was unrealistic. Given everything else we've seen in this show, it doesn't break my enjoyment.

I think Cobra Kai clearly takes itself less seriously than Rings of Power does, but I don't think it's a big deal either. I just found it a bit funny.

Solid episode. Not as good as the last 3, but still solid.

They weren't engulfed in fire, ash and smoke though. And while I spelled out what would happen if you were as contrast I didn't say that it was funny that they survived but that they were completely unscathed while being caught out in the open. Not even their hair was singed, despite that the environment around them was completely devastated.

They were running out of the forge while lava was pouring through. The air was so ****ing hot, that their proteins should’ve denatured…

They were running out of the forge while lava was pouring through. The air was so ****ing hot, that their proteins should’ve denatured…

As live as Mount Doom was it could be about as hot inside before the eruption it as it would be outside after it, depending on a few factors. If one accepts that they could go in there in the first place (as the film clearly says they can) it's a short stretch to have them survive a few minutes outside while the audience is expected to assume they are dying.

In RoP they actually show Galadriel be engulfed by fire, and then show that the result of that fire was that everything around them had burned, often to the point that takes lengthy fires to achieve. That's them setting up what the fire does and yet she (and many others) didn't have a mark on her and just kept going.

Clearly different situations by their own set ups and regardless of opinion it can't be hard for anyone to see why one can come off as funnier than the other. That's why I said I found it too far even for fantasy.

As bad as this was, I still haven't seen anything in RoP that made me cringe nearly as hard as how Jackson did scary dark Galadriel in FotR.

Love the LotR movies and certainly prefer them to RoP so far, but they had their share of "what the" choices, too. Fantasy can be hard to do in live-action without giving some cringe. Even more grounded and gritty GoT and HotD have plenty of moments where I'm like, "uh ok then."

As live as Mount Doom was it could be about as hot inside before the eruption it as it would be outside after it, depending on a few factors. If one accepts that they could go in there in the first place (as the film clearly says they can) it's a short stretch to have them survive a few minutes outside while the audience is expected to assume they are dying.

In RoP they actually show Galadriel be engulfed by fire, and then show that the result of that fire was that everything around them had burned, often to the point that takes lengthy fires to achieve. That's them setting up what the fire does and yet she (and many others) didn't have a mark on her and just kept going.

Clearly different situations by their own set ups and regardless of opinion it can't be hard for anyone to see why one can come off as funnier than the other. That's why I said I found it too far even for fantasy.
Bingo. One is consistent in its own rules of physics and science, etc., the other contradicts its own rules. If it is hot enough there for all trees to burst into fire and turn to ash, it is too hot for humans to survive the event almost un-scathed.

LOTR-2.jpg

looks like a cozy campfire for Frodo and Sam…

Even in real life you can be fairly close to lava under the right circumstances so since this is a fantasy movie we are clearly lead to believe that you die if you go into the lava but it doesn't bother with the other aspects that would make it realistic. Kind of like some other non-fantasy movies for that matter.

To be like RoP the LotR movie would have had to show other things burning from the heat of just being near the lava because the raised issue with RoP obviously isn't lack of realism but inconsistency. The same effect in the same area clearly ranges from utter destruction to no effect at all.

Even in real life you can be fairly close to lava under the right circumstances so since this is a fantasy movie we are clearly lead to believe that you die if you go into the lava but it doesn't bother with the other aspects that would make it realistic. Kind of like some other non-fantasy movies for that matter.

To be like RoP the LotR movie would have had to show other things burning from the heat of just being near the lava because the raised issue with RoP obviously isn't lack of realism but inconsistency. The same effect in the same area clearly ranges from utter destruction to no effect at all.
Maybe the lave works like the game battleship. :D :csad:

If the characters got hit by a wall of lava I'd get it. It was more of an angry plume of smoke. The fires and injuries seemed to come from the flaming falling debris. *shrugs*

I was a bit disapointed by the size of Mount Doom, the volcano looks tiny.

Really? It looked suitably huge to me.

Bear in mind it is very far from Ostirith so it is small on the horizon in some of those shots.

Bear in mind it is very far from Ostirith so it is small on the horizon in some of those shots.

Maybe because I had Mount Doom from the movies in mind.

Yeah in RotK we are a lot closer to Mount Doom. Plus there is the igneous build-up.

Oh, it's way smaller on Rings of Power. It's not just about distance from Mount Doom, it is the overall geography of how Mordor is portrayed. In the Jackson films, we have shots of Mount Doom as far away as from the very borders of Mordor at the end of The Two Towers. In those movies, Mount Doom is the highest point in Mordor and it is based on a relatively flat and level plateau:
il_570xN.3443435233_8rl2.jpg

The Mountains of Shadow and Ash bordering the plateau of Mordor are generally speaking much lower in elevation than Mount Doom.

On Rings of Power, Mount Doom is depicted as in a low point, the bottom of a valley:
cd22bdf08f16db4e3c143539dac54302

The entire geography of Mordor rises upward in elevation from Mount Doom, with presumably the Mountains of Shadow and Ash being the highest points in that landscape (as seem in the above screenshot). In earlier close-ups right before the eruption, Mount Doom looks pretty big but subsequent framing and geography does make it look pretty insignificant and feeble. It does not have the commanding, foreboding presence it has in the Jackson films or how I would imagine it.

Again, distance and igneous build up. I think Ostirith is supposed to be about 150 km from Orodruin/Mount Doom. The perspectives we get in the movies are far closer to Mt. Doom than most of the shots in RoP. The one exterior we get in the show that is closer, it's massive.

We also get a nice shot in the finale of baby Mt. Doom, and the thing is already a beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"