The Rock is Roadblock

Zanham

Civilian
Reaction score
"Dwayne Johnson is Roadblock in ‘G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes’ [Updated]
Posted on Monday, June 27th, 2011 by Germain Lussier

UPDATE: Dwayne Johnson fully confirmed this casting today via Twitter, saying “It’s official: Call the Pentagon, get me my big ass gun – Rocks a JOE!.” The original article from June 6 follows.

Next summer’s sequel to G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra now has a major star and a title. Variety is reporting that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is in talks to play Roadblock in Jon Chu‘s film, now officially called G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes. Read more after the jump.

Variety broke the news of the probable casting, which seems like a perfect fit for Johnson, who is trying to get back into his action roots with films like Faster and Fast Five.

Here’s the character description from the G.I. Joe Wiki:"

After coming off the success of Fast Five snatching him for this is a good idea, not bad I guess.

Good casting, hopefully this can lighten up some success for this franchise. I hope it comes off better than the first. There's still some hope for it being done right.

I hope the 2nd movie is better!

I enjoyed the 1st movie, it just wasn't that good.

Undeniable proof this flick will be an abomination.

Man, if they make Roadblock the Leader of G.I.JOE...this movie will be a joke!!

I like Dwayne...but this movie will probably suck.

It's really kinda the same thing that was done by incorporating Marlon Wayans in the first one but not making much difference to anyone. The difference is they are not replacing a white character with a black character, rather a black character with whatever the Rock is.

That said, I think that WWE Pictures could do a much better job if it was in charge of making the G.I. Joe films. Not because they are better actors... because they aren't thought of as award winning caliber actors and just extremely vivid personalities.

It works better with them(wrestlers) because G.I. Joe's aren't exactly military members. They're almost above the military and that's why they wear what they want, talk how they want, and win how they want on their missions.

What other wrestlers would you cast as G.I. Joe's and Cobra's?

What other wrestlers would you cast as G.I. Joe's and Cobra's?

Goldberg as Gung-Ho

It's really kinda the same thing that was done by incorporating Marlon Wayans in the first one but not making much difference to anyone. The difference is they are not replacing a white character with a black character, rather a black character with whatever the Rock is.

The Rock is half black and half Samoan.

In any case, he is a terrible choice for Roadblock (he's too light skinned). IMO, Michael Clark Dunkin should have been cast as Roadblock.

In any case, he is a terrible choice for Roadblock (he's too light skinned). IMO, Michael Clark Dunkin should have been cast as Roadblock.

Sorry but Michael Clark Dunkin can't act and the rock is perfect for the roll.

In that case, anyone else think Rock would be a good choice for the role of Spirit?

I would have preferred Terry Crews but I can live with this casting if the character Roadblock will still have his trademark moustache with shaved head while carrying around a machine gun.

Undeniable proof this flick will be an abomination.

Once again another miscast. Dwayne Johnson is a good actor & I enjoy his movies BUT, he's not African-American & I don't think he can play Roadblock. They probably will also change his personality & the ryhmes will be left out.

Once again another miscast. Dwayne Johnson is a good actor & I enjoy his movies BUT, he's not African-American & I don't think he can play Roadblock. They probably will also change his personality & the ryhmes will be left out.

:dry:

I just for once want the characters to be cast right. It's bad enough that they watered down the organization from a U.S. to a global one. I mean in the cartoons, it was a "Real American Hero" not the latter. They miscast Ripcord & Breaker & a subpar story in part 1.

Man, if they make Roadblock the Leader of G.I.JOE...this movie will be a joke!!

Since the Rock is a bigger star than Channing Tatum it would make sense for the Rock to be the leader, and if not that, the major protagonist of the film. I can't see him playing second fiddle to Tatum. It's not like in Fast Five where he was playing a supporting role to Vin Diesel, the star of that franchise and a bigger star than him.

The first GI Joe movie already played fast and loose with a lot of Joe lore, so I don't think making Roadblock the leader or co-leader is all that ridiculous. Plus, I don't think anyone is going to take these movies seriously anyway. Many people felt the first one was a joke.

Since the Rock is a bigger star than Channing Tatum it would make sense for the Rock to be the leader, and if not that, the major protagonist of the film. I can't see him playing second fiddle to Tatum. It's not like in Fast Five where he was playing a supporting role to Vin Diesel, the star of that franchise and a bigger star than him.

The first GI Joe movie already played fast and loose with a lot of Joe lore, so I don't think making Roadblock the leader or co-leader is all that ridiculous. Plus, I don't think anyone is going to take these movies seriously anyway. Many people felt the first one was a joke.

They can easily explain it as Duke & everyone from the first movie simply gets assigned to a new Unit & for Duke The Rock is the leader

He is black dude. His dad was Rocky Johnson, google em.

I always thought Terry Crews would be a perfect Roadblock. Has the look the size and the heart of the Joes resident heavy machine gunner slash gourmet chef

I just for once want the characters to be cast right. It's bad enough that they watered down the organization from a U.S. to a global one. I mean in the cartoons, it was a "Real American Hero" not the latter. They miscast Ripcord & Breaker & a subpar story in part 1.

I get it. Just because he doesn't look or act like people you see on Gangland you assume he's some exotic foreigner. But he's half Black, half Samoan and was born in California which is in the USA (last time I checked) so yes he is a black American.

I get it. Just because he doesn't look or act like people you see on Gangland you assume he's some exotic foreigner. But he's half Black, half Samoan and was born in California which is in the USA (last time I checked) so yes he is a black American.

Basically!
The president of the U.S. is half white yet people still say he's Black...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"