Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning Strykez!

Former Mod On Pension Pay
Reaction score
empirewolverineandstorm.jpg

product_banner_rolo2.gif

The ROLO Factor
Marvel's 1st Silver-Screen Interracial Romance?
An Essay By Dark Lightning AKA Lightning Strikez!

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created the X-Men in the early 1960s, when the African-American civil rights movement was prominent in the news. Interestingly enough, both Stan and Jack are Jewish-Americans; consciously or unconsciously, perhaps they were really aiming at anti-Semitism. Decades later, it was Chris Claremont who established that Magneto, as a child, had been imprisoned at the Auschwitz Nazi Concentration Camps.

The point?

From the very beginning, Marvel Comics, and more specifically the X-Men, have continued to explore the differences between peoples and cultures, and to break down those barriers. In fact, it is a well-known fact that the antagonism spewed towards mutants in the X-Men comics is actually a metaphor for racism.

So perhaps it is apropros that X-Men 3 will push the envelope further with the ROLO Factor. For those of you who are not acquainted with the terminology, ROLO stands for the romantic relationship between Ororo Munroe (Storm) and Logan (Wolverine). Some have already labeled this aspect of X3's plot as another "controversial Thom Rothman antic" but if people actually did their homework,they'd find that the two characters have been involved for years in the comic book cannon. Even now, in both the Ultimate and Uncanny X-Men series the two characters are once again fooling around.

However, I sense that FOX putting these two together in this film is about more than just being controversial. And it's probably bigger than the source material too. I think they are doing it for cinematic purposes. If fleshed out well, this relationship could really bring something special to X3 for several reasons.

Let's discuss some of them:

21xj1.jpg

1.) Closure For Logan: Let's face it, at some point the feral Wolverine would have to move on with his life in the wake of Jean Grey's death. The most logical choice would be the team's beautiful second-in-command. But since X3 will revolve around Dark Phoenix, the ROLO factor coooould also pose some interesting struggles within Logan once the fire goddess arises from Alkali Lake. Much will hinge on if Jean will simply return as herself with increased abilities, or as a maniac driven by lunacy and a thirst for power.

2.) Better Utilization Of Halle Berry: For both Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry the ROLO factor could bring another dimension to their characters. In my opinion, Halle will benefit the most. After standing in as the SFX coordinator for the last two films :rolleyes:, it will be good to finally see Storm being a WOMAN with an emotional attachment to someone.

And despite the vitriol some fanboys spit at the actress, many will agree that her heaviest gravitas lie in her dramatic portrayals. As demonstrated in Monster's Ball, Queen, The Dorothy Dandridge Story and her recent Their Eyes Were Watching God, Halle seems to excel best when in her own comfort zone--drama. While her turn in action films i.e. 007 and Catwoman have been met with mixed results, if Brett Ratner and his writers can give her some real meat on the character development end, she should shine here.

3.) A New Dimension For Hugh Jackman: The ROLO Factor will also give Hugh a nice departure from the slice-em-dice-em deal he's been stuck with so far in this saga. Hugh does well with romantic comedy as shown in his hit films Kate & Leopold and Someone Like You. But so far, his action films like Van Helsing and the X-Men series haven't really given him a chance to fully integrate the romantic element. We actually got a brief glimpse of the sexual side of Logan in X2 (with Jean and Mystique), but it will be interesting to see this side of the character really fleshed out this time around.

4.)Chemistry: The ROLO factor might bring a great opportunity for the actors involved--but not only on an individualized level. As a pair, Halle and Hugh seem to have an electric chemistry on screen, as shown in Swordfish. Chemistry between the actors is key, especially in this genre where films generally focus on SFX and action.

38dm.jpg

Chemistry lacks to a large extent between Famke and James Marsden, and while it sizzles between Rebecca Romijn and Hugh--it's also very restricted. We can't have a repeat performance here with Storm and Logan. Halle and Hugh are arguably this film's biggest stars so if it's done right it's sure to raise the bar on comic book movies' love stories.

5.)Comicdom's 1st Silver-Screen Interracial Love Story: As noted above, we've enjoyed watching the love stories develop between Peter and Mary Jane, Reed and Susan, Bobby and Rogue and Scott and Jean--but we've never seen a high profile interracial love story in any comic book film (unless you count whatever Vivica A. Fox had going on with Mr. Freeze in 1997's deplorable Batman & Robin. *rolls eyes and lifts fist in wretched motions* Having Marvel's first black heroine involved with its ultimate Bad-Ass will be a treat, and the plot will also keep in line with X-Men's legacy: Breaking down cultural, sexual and racial barriers.

To my fellow Hypesters: What do you think of the ROLO factor? Will it hurt or help X3? Will Logan's passion for Jean resurface? Will Storm's relationship with Logan be purely a sexual one, or will it have some depth as it does in the comics?

15mt.jpg

The more I think about this particular pairing...filmwise, the more I like it...if handled correctly[/i]. I really don't want this to simply be a romp between the sheets type deal to get the teenagers riled up. I also don't want it to look like Loigan is nothing more than some horny goof moving from one piece of tail to another. "Well, Jean's dead. Who's next?"

Yes, the potential is there for this to be something deeper. I just hope that it is handled that way, delicately, and tastefully.

Not Halle=hawt
Hugh=hawt
Halle + Hugh= even more hawtness (even if it is true)

Excellent Essay Darth!!
I don't know but something about Storm and Wolverine getting together in X3 seems very forced. It smells like an idea Tom Rothman would have put in the script - even if it's something thats happened in the comics. If i remember correctly Bryan Singer made Mystique morph into Storm so the suits could get their wish of having Halle and Hugh do a steamy scene ($$$).

How much depth can this 'relationship' really have when the movie is going to be focusing on so many new chartacters?! It doesn't really make any sense cause theres been no hint of a spark between Wolverine and Storm in the movies. There was hints of that with Nightcrawler they should have focussed on developing the Storm-Nightcrawler relationship because they had such great scenes together. Halle and Alan Cumming had great on-screen chemistry.

I think this 'relationship' will be purely sexual. In Swordfish Halle (damn she looksgood in that pic!) and Hugh were great so i don't forsee any problems on that front.

P.S: In the movie-universe we don't know zilch about Storm's past. My suggestion to the filmmakers is to dig some more into that and then MAYBE she can hook up with Logan.
NOTE: If it works storywise i say bring it on!!
Hope i'm making sense here. :confused: :0

I pretty much have to agree with you Lightning. I never had a problem with the idea like some did, actually I think its a pretty darn good idea. It obviously needs to be done right and not just the two of them being thrown together.

I think that when this was first rumoured. Back when the AICN Script review came out. The Storm and Logan senario was described as a 'sex scene' not a relationship. That why it ruffled a few peoples feathers. I, like a few other people didnt want Storm and Logan just to have sex. That would give the word X-Men a whole new meaning.

Storm isnt the type of woman who would go to bed with anyone. She wouldnt go to bed with Wolverine if she knew he only wanted her for sex, nothing more. If they have some sort of relationship before, then they have sex, it could work.

X3 could work without a Storm/Wolverine relationship but it would allow us to see both Storm and Wolverine in a different light.

I dont want them to have a sex scene. I would be fine with them just having a cuddle or kiss. Showing the audience they are an item and moving on with the plot. However, you dont get the chance to see Halle and Hugh rolling around naked. Their faces are on all the promotional posters. They are both rather attractive. The women will be happy with Hugh topless and the men would be happy with seeing some Halle flesh.

Plus, with Jean going all powerful, mutants losing their powers left right and center, Iceman wanting Shadowcat to phase through him, Prison breakout scenes....dont we need some love?

Jean could get a little pissed off with the relationship and this may lead to a Storm v Dark Phoenix battle....I can dream....

....Enter fanboys and Halle bashers....

(Ps. Nice work Lightning, I've been waiting for a decent thread :up:)

As with any concept, there is the potential for good and bad. Because of the surrounding circumstance, if this leak is truth, I am pretty sure the "handling correctly" thing will be about as likely as getting an Oscar nomination for an Uwe Boll movie.

Fact: Thomas Rothman
Fact: No previous indication of "emo" or real substancial time between these two characters on screen.
Fact: Script re-written and revised at last minute to include said romance.
Fact: Brett Ratner doesnt have a single credit to his referral of directing something with a deep, "well handled" relationship.

ROLO being greatest comic movie Romance = FAT CHANCE!

But I havent seen or heard exactly how this scenario will play out, so I will hold out hope!

*takes toys goes home and puts signs of hope in all their hands*

Retroman said:
Excellent Essay Darth!!

How much depth can this 'relationship' really have when the movie is going to be focusing on so many new chartacters?! It doesn't really make any sense cause theres been no hint of a spark between Wolverine and Storm in the movies.

Well that greatly depends on how much time has elapsed since Jean's death. Let's say several months or even a couple of years have transpired since the Alkali Lake incident. It would be reasonably feasible that Logan could have moved on with his life. Since Kurt will not be in the picture at all, it is also reasonable to accept that Storm has turned her attention to Logan too. Remember, there were some scenes between Storm and Logan in X1 (i.e. "Logan you can't do this alone, Join us...fight with us...") that suggest that they weren't exactly seeing eye to eye and sometimes love is borne out of adversity. :cool: Who knows? It all boils down to how well it's developed.

EDIT: And did you just call me...Darth? :mad:

:p

Electric Wire said:
You disappoint me Electric. :mad: ;)

Well, one must also take into consideration what is going on at the mansion in the first place. Is Cyke in any condition to be a leader at this point? He could be a bit unstable, and Storm and Logan are the only other adults left to be in charge of anything, right? So the two may have some "quality" time together; arguing, disagreeing, getting on each other's nerves, butting heads...all the while getting to know a bit more about each other.

But as has been said here...sex for sex's sake...big no!!!

15mt.jpg

Hehe...this picture in the top left is actually a pic of Ultimate Wolverine and Ultimate Jean Grey smooching... nice try though! I love it!

So yeah...I don't know about the whole Storm/Wolvie love story thing. As said before, it feels forced. Unless it can be done VERY well, it will seem like its just to throw in more love, and desperately try and make Storm have a larger role so that Halle Berry will stop all her bit#&ing.

Dark Lightning said:
Well that greatly depends on how much time has elapsed since Jean's death. Let's say several months or even a couple of years have transpired since the Alkali Lake incident. It would be reasonably feasible that Logan could have moved on with his life. Since Kurt will not be in the picture at all, it is also reasonable to accept that Storm has turned her attention to Logan too. Remember, there were some scenes between Storm and Logan in X1 (i.e. "Logan you can't do this alone, Join us...fight with us...") that suggest that they weren't exactly seeing eye to eye and sometimes love is borne out of adversity. :cool: Who knows? It all boils down to how well it's developed.

And did you just call me...Darth? :mad:

:p
It will depend on the time yes. At least a few years imo.

P.S;Sorry about Dark. :0

This is such a good point, and I agree totally! The two characters could have a working relationship had not so many new characters been introduced (Beast, Kitty, Juggernaut, and Angel). So I think that it is best that they explore Storm more. They have really made her 2-Dismensional, and it has pissed me off. She has no depth in the movies, they make her weak (which is totally not Halle's fault, she is an excellent actress!). Storm was/is much more than some little weak punk. Toad whipped her @$$ in the first one! In the comics I doubt he would have beat her so badly. ::Sigh:: which is why I hope that they delve deeper into Storm in this one...and keep her romantically uninvolved with Wolverine. For now. I think that connecting the two would be great because it would diminish the love triangle between Logan, Scott, and Jean, and allow the relationship between Scott and Jean to develope into marriage (Scott and Jean are engaged in the movies if anyone wants to argue). They cannot end the X-Series here because there is soo much more to be said! They should make five movies cause we need a Danger Room sequence and Sentinels!

Sir Granite said:
Hehe...this picture in the top left is actually a pic of Ultimate Wolverine and Ultimate Jean Grey smooching... nice try though! I love it!

Are you sure? Not that I'm doubting you, I got it off the net for my collage. But if they did alter it that's one helluva manip!

Jan Irisi said:
Well, one must also take into consideration what is going on at the mansion in the first place. Is Cyke in any condition to be a leader at this point? He could be a bit unstable, and Storm and Logan are the only other adults left to be in charge of anything, right? So the two may have some "quality" time together; arguing, disagreeing, getting on each other's nerves, butting heads...all the while getting to know a bit more about each other.

Great point Jan. If Scott has "checked out" mentally/emotionally due to his overwhelming grief it makes logical sense that the senior members of the team would take center stage (Xavier, Storm, Logan, etc.).

If Storm and Logan are just doing the booty-call thing I'll admit I'll be highly pissed. Sex for sex's sake would be so ridiculously reckless and would really show a lack of respect for these characters--which in Storm's case hasn't been respected from day 1. :rolleyes:

Jan Irisi said:

But as has been said here...sex for sex's sake...big no!!!

I think people also need to take into account that out of the original team, they are the only two left(if the script review is accurate and the deaths still remain). That's three people they were freinds with that they believe are dead. Grief works in strange ways and I can totally see them comforting each other over the fact.

Electric Wire said:
However, you dont get the chance to see Halle and Hugh rolling around naked. Their faces are on all the promotional posters. They are both rather attractive. The women will be happy with Hugh topless and the men would be happy with seeing some Halle flesh.

Well, the current issue of Wizard magazine addresses this. It made it clear that on-line script leaks suggested that there would be rough and dirty sex scenes that would garner a soft R rating, but that such claims were borne from rabid fanboys jumping to conclusions. Kevin Fiege was quoted as saying the film will be PG-13 in the same vein as the previous films.

Avi Arad and the article also referred to this relationship as a "love story" whenever it was mentioned, not a rauncy tryst. The term "love story" suggest to me something of depth, not a replay of Monster's Ball's "Make me feeeeeelll good!!! Make me feel goooouuuugggglllldddd!!!"

:rolleyes:

Electric Wire said:

Thanks...I've got more bolts of lightning coming soon.

i tihink it would be a great love story between logan and storm

*bravo*

Agree 100%. Although, I'm still kinda on the fence.

Dark Lightning said:
Are you sure? Not that I'm doubting you, I got it off the net for my collage. But if they did alter it that's one helluva manip!

It's from Ultimate #4. Logan kisses Jean in the garden knowing that Scott is watching them from an upstairs window.

Hugh'sMrs said:
It's from Ultimate #4. Logan kisses Jean in the garden knowing that Scott is watching them from an upstairs window.

:eek:

I remember that now! But...it was in color wasn't it? It's cool...the guy who did it did a good job. That should be a pleasant pinch in the ass for my ol' archrival Pejo. :p

Great DL. Whether or not I agree with you (which I happen to) everyone has to respect the presentation of your ideas. Very well thought out. It's obvious you spent a lot of time on this post.

Respect,

BB

Dark Lightning said:
That should be a pleasant pinch in the ass for my ol' archrival Pejo. :p
Why is that? Storm needs to cash in on Jean's overwhelmingly larger presence and depend on manipulations of Jean's image in order to give Storm credence in this situation? That's just sad. But not as sad as this laughable on screen pairing. While they're at it, Professor X should start dating Jubilee. Makes about as much sense as Logan and Halle Berry in a bad wig 'dating' anyway.

Hmmm..There's conclusions...Maybe I should jump to it?

-TNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"