The RPG Concept Thread - 2011 Edition

Batman

Dramatic Example
Reaction score
Basically, I want this thread to serve as a thread where people can discuss and garner support about concepts they really haven't been sure about, thus rendering them unwilling to put up an application.

Believe me, I've been there, and I think that if we all had one place to garner this support, we'd have an easier time of seeing if they're concepts worth applying towards.

DISCLAIMER: Remember, this is for concepts you have been thinking up. Just because this thread is here doesn't mean that everyone should be thinking up a new RPG... we have alot of them as it is.

Bumping to make current.

(Didn't realize copying the same thread start would also copy the thread start's date. :O)

Would anyone be up to a sci-fi RPG involving like Firefly and BSG and stuff like that?

I just got done watching Firefly/Serenity and I'm watching BSG now, and I thought it'd be a cool idea.

Certainly I'd be up for some sci-fi RPG. Just finished Mass Effect 2 for PS3.

I'll have to see what the concept and story is. But I'm frakking interested.

I'd be interested, in that I've had an idea like that for awhile, now. Sort of a One Universe for Science Fiction, bringing in a bunch of franchises like BSG, Firefly, and even some of the bigger ones like Transformers and Star Trek. (Star Wars would be out of the question, given it has an RPG currently running)

Interesting idea; it'd be a bad place of a time trying to get some of those franchises to actually fit together (BSG especially, since the central theme of it is that everyone outside of the refugee fleet is dead)

I dunno, each franchise has a very unique feel to it, more so than Marvel and DC. That said, an original backstory wouldn't have the same feel as any of them...it's a tough one.

I'd be interested, in that I've had an idea like that for awhile, now. Sort of a One Universe for Science Fiction, bringing in a bunch of franchises like BSG, Firefly, and even some of the bigger ones like Transformers and Star Trek. (Star Wars would be out of the question, given it has an RPG currently running)

I don't know, that could could get confusing. I know the galaxy is a big place, but it might not mesh well and could end up confusing and a big cluster**** like FTPO was.

I'll have to see what the concept and story is. But I'm frakking interested.

I'd actually be looking for some input from other in these areas. If anyone saw my Movieverse app, it's pretty obvious that I stink at overall world-building.

And I don't if you guys think this should be a one season long thing or a continuous.

Yea, that's what I was going to go for as well.

Not necessarily Transformers though.

And I do agree with everyone else, it'd need to be very well thought out.

I know it might not be the type of sci-fi you're talking about Carnage, but I wouldn't mind doing an RPG where an alien invader tries to conquer Earth. Something in the same vein as Independence Day or the upcoming Battle: Lost Angeles movie.

MB, dunno what your ideas were, but I just kinda envisioned something that might work for the "One Universe"-esque idea.

The BGS characters/universe is set in their primary quadrent of the galaxy, and are dealing with the return of the Cylons.

Whereas the Firefly characters/universe is actually the remnants of the "Thirteenth Colony of Kobol", and have no idea what's going on with the others, and are wrapped up in the remnants of their own civil war.

Just an idea.

I know it might not be the type of sci-fi you're talking about Carnage, but I wouldn't mind doing an RPG where an alien invader tries to conquer Earth. Something in the same vein as Independence Day or the upcoming Battle: Lost Angeles movie.

That would be cool too, and it sounds a lot more like a single season idea.

I was envisioning this as more of a multi-season thing.

Why not just do a Firefly or BSG one-shot specifically? Both franchises have quite the fanbase amongst the RPG community (barring myself) so, for the sake of simplicity, I don't see why you couldn't make a game out of either one much like the Star Wars, Star Trek or Transformers RPGs before it.

I mean you COULD merge franchises together, but with games outside of OU with merged universes failing miserably in the past, I don't see the idea working very well in the long run.

I brought up a while ago of running a BSG Boardgame game on here.

Why not just do a Firefly or BSG one-shot specifically? Both franchises have quite the fanbase amongst the RPG community (barring myself) so, for the sake of simplicity, I don't see why you couldn't make a game out of either one much like the Star Wars, Star Trek or Transformers RPGs before it.

True, but even those games have struggled mightily or barely even got off the ground.

I mean you COULD merge franchises together, but with games outside of OU with merged universes failing miserably in the past, I don't see the idea working very well in the long run.

And I think the reason for that is we all tend to get wrapped up in the basic idea of the game before actually thinking it through and developing the world. We tend to just jump in head first.

Of all the ideas for a Sci-Fi RPG game I'd say your best shot is a Firefly game. And this is not because of how much of a fan I am of that TV Show and the movie; I do not think I'd even play in such a game for reasons that don't need to be listed as they aren't why such a game couldn't work.

Reason being that it SHOULD work best is that in that very show and even the movie--where it brought some sense of closure--the story never ended in those mediums and for those characters. Also, the ONLY source material for that universe is from the show and movie so you will not run into the issue of half the players knowing the mythos and the other half only knowing a portion (which to be honest, I think is the problem with the Star Wars RPG and not just because it's what made it hard for me to try to play because I only saw the movies and there are 45723897395732 comics and books and games that involve stories about the rest of the SW verse and not always re-occurring characters).

Plain and simple, the Firefly 'Verse is condensed enough but not too small.

Sigh

So, I'm waiting on my Independents game on getting enough life to be sustainable, but at this point I don't have much hope. And honestly, as much as I love DC, I'd really love to get some variety into the boards. And I'm not gonna put forth a new game any time soon because we have World's Finest getting off the ground, and Ultimate DC should:-)cmad:) have a new season soon.

But I was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting a true One Universe game going again. It's the game that got me into the RPGs to begin with, and I think it's still a great and viable option.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

When you say "true" you just mean Marvel and DC? No indies, or Wildstorm or Vertigo?

yRight on. I'd be up for getting a Marvel/DC OU game back together and running again.

Sounds good. If we get more interest I'm thinking we'll wait till WF and UDC get their seasons up and running before getting things going.

I too would gladly join another OU.

And UDC is reaching it's homestretch as we speak, I can damn well promise you that. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"