The Sandman

DoomsdayApex

Avenger
Reaction score
Sandman_no.1_%28Modern_Age%29.comiccover.jpg

As a fan of the DC/Vertigo title, I've been waiting for a director such as Peter Jackson or Darren Aronofsky or Supernatural creator Eric Kripke to adapt it onto film (or at least television). With WB green-lighting another obscure comic title in The Red Star and various others in the past such as Constantine, The Fountain, 300, Stardust, History of Violence, Road to Perdition, Watchmen and V for Vendetta, when can one assume that The Sandman finally gets to see the light of day?

I hope so. Get Gaiman to write the thing and Terry Gilliam or Aronofsky to direct. They'd have to do a specific story line though. I'm thinking Seasons of Mist. Starts off with a meeting of all the Endless, so right there is our introduction to the world and what Dream does. Then have him go to hell to get his mask back.

As much as I love Sandman and everything Neil Gaiman, I think perhaps its best left as a comic. To do something of this scale and scope is well beyond most film company's ability. I'm afraid it would end up being a horrible CGI acid trip like Speed Racer or Suckerpunch, and would end having to water down a wonderful story so that John Q Public would be able to get it in one bite sized portion.
I would rather see HBO do a Preacher series.

Sandman is incredible but it can't be done as a movie. It just can't.
You'd have to leave too much out and if you do that then you simplify it and if you simplify it... well, it's not really Sandman is it?

It has to be a tv series or (ideally) a Spawn-style "Mature" animated series.

Sandman is incredible but it can't be done as a movie. It just can't.
You'd have to leave too much out and if you do that then you simplify it and if you simplify it... well, it's not really Sandman is it?

It has to be a tv series or (ideally) a Spawn-style "Mature" animated series.

That would be the best way to do it without making it cheesy.

Hehe! yeah was gonna post a Skynet gif but you never see the bloody thing (I don't count Salvation... Skynet is NOT Helena Bonham Carter, dagnabbit!)

Anyway, Sandman!

yeah, a tv series. That's the way to do it. If it's live action then right there you have some serious budgetary constraints to contend with so animated is the best way to go.

I'm not talking about Cartoon Network quality animation either. No, something genuinely artistic and ethereal. Something a bit different.
This sort of thing:

Sandman%2B4_Blog-713123.jpg

They said Watchmen and LOTR were unfilmable, and yet we were proven wrong. Granted, the directors had to make a few alterations and leave certain material out of the films, but both still accomplished a supposedly impossible feat.

With that said, I wouldn't mind if The Sandman went to TV instead.

It would be sweet if they could get Dave McKean to direct.

They said Watchmen and LOTR were unfilmable, and yet we were proven wrong. Granted, the directors had to make a few alterations and leave certain material out of the films, but both still accomplished a supposedly impossible feat.

With that said, I wouldn't mind if The Sandman went to TV instead.

Lord Of The Rings is pretty much the only ever 'unfilmable' literary epic to do it right though. What jackson did was pretty much a cinematic miracle!
BUT!
Unlike Sandman, LOTR has one long narrative arc. It's a three-volume quest essentially. That made it, in it's own way, perfect for a movie trilogy.
Although, Sandman also has an overarching story it's much, MUCH less concerned with sticking closely to it.
Part of the whole Sandman ethos is that it would go off on these crazy tangents that didnt really have anything to do with what was going on in the grand scheme. One-off tales, short stories, random roadtrips...
Hell, at one point, the main character of the book disappears without warning for like, six issues then reappears again. No explanation, no nothing. And it was great! THAT'S Sandman!

Another reason it would have trouble working as a movie is that it's not a book that does fight scenes. Infact, apart from a brief scuffle with Doctor Destiny at the beginning, it doesn't have any fights at all.

I think Watchmen directors cut was good. Overall i think Snyder did a good job with Watchmen. Some of his artistic choices, like making the humans almost superhuman had me scratching my head though. But i thought changing the Squid thing was better. I think making it though Dr M turned on humanity worked better with the story. Honestly, i don't know why Moore didn't go that route with the book. It just makes sense, seeing as how the world thought Dr M abandoned them anyway.

Anyway, that's some great art up there. Where is it from?

I do think Sandman could work as a film, but only if, like i said before, they choose a specific story arc to adapt. I don't think it'd work if they tried to "mix and mash" different elements and stories, because it's just too rich and deep a mythos, it'd end up confusing. I think Seasons of Mist would work well as a movie.

The Directors Cut was definitely a marked improvement but generally speaking, I found both movies lacking.

The Art? Not sure I just browsed Google Images til I found something that best illustrated my idea. Probably fan art.

Seasons Of Mist would be one of the better places to start, yeah. But why compromise like that? Why not do a series and begin with Preludes and Nocturnes, working your through all of the trades in sequence until we get to the finale. If they did it right, it'd be great TV (and a real treat for us Sandman fans too!)

I never thought of him as Morpheus, but now that I see it I dig it!
I honestly hope that if an adaptation ever happens they do not get Johnny Depp. I like Depp a lot, but I cringe at the thought of his take on the character.

Yea, i can imagine him being all quirky and weird. When i've always imagine Morpheous as quiet, unassuming and melancholy. But with one hell of a temper.

Yeah, was gonna post that manip beforehand. It's great

As great as Cumberbatch would be (and he WOULD be!), if it was animated I'd sort of like to hear Gaiman himself voice Morpheus.

I know that might sound weird but as great a character as he is, Morpheus edoesn't exactly emote a lot. You don't need to cast an actor with a huge range for the role.

Besides, my imagination always reads the character in Gaiman's voice, anyways... (With a bit of reverb to make it sound slightly echoey)

Yeah, was gonna post that manip beforehand. It's great

As great as Cumberbatch would be (and he WOULD be!), if it was animated I'd sort of like to hear Gaiman himself voice Morpheus.

I know that might sound weird but as great a character as he is, Morpheus edoesn't exactly emote a lot. You don't need to cast an actor with a huge range for the role.

Besides, my imagination always reads the character in Gaiman's voice, anyways... (With a bit of reverb to make it sound slightly echoey)

Have you listened to any of Gaiman's books on CD? He has a great voice, I would love to hear him as Morpheus.

Have you listened to any of Gaiman's books on CD? He has a great voice, I would love to hear him as Morpheus.

I haven't, actually. I don't really do audiobooks but for Gaiman I'd make the exception.

From Collider :
[SIZE=-2]March 15th, 2011[/SIZE]

TV Series Adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s THE SANDMAN News [UPDATED]
Update: DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns has tweeted a status update on the project. Johns tweets that Gaiman is on board and that development on the series continues. It’s possible that the development simply now continues without Kripke’s participation. Here’s Johns’ tweet:
Correction to world: The Sandman is AWAKE! :) Psyched to be working with @neilhimself on developing one of the greatest series ever!

From THR September 01, 2010
Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman' being adapted ... as a TV show (exclusive)
Borys Kit and James Hibberd said:
“The Sandman,” the Neil Gaiman-penned comic book series considered a seminal work in the medium, is in the early stages of being developed into a TV series.

Warner Bros. TV is in the midst of acquiring television rights from sister company DC Entertainment and in talks with several writer-producers about adapting the 1990s comic. At the top of the list is Eric Kripke, creator of the CW’s horror-tinged “Supernatural.”

“Sandman” told the tale of Morpheus, the Lord of the Dreaming, a deity who personifies dreams. The book began in the horror realm but quickly made its mark in fantasy and mythology as Gaiman introduced the Endless, a group of powerful brothers and sisters named Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).
The book helped establish DC’s Vertigo imprint and won several awards. It also was one of the few comics that segued from the comics crowd, entering the intellectual and art worlds, winning over a large non-comics-reading audience, particularly a devoted female following.

A movie version of “Sandman” has been in development since the mid-’90s, with an early version involving Roger Avery. The movie version cooled earlier in the decade, with the thinking moving to the best way to tackle an adaptation is the TV route. Up until a few months ago, DC was in talks with HBO and James Mangold to develop a show minus WBTV’s involvement, but that never coalesced.
Gaiman was not officially involved with the HBO attempt, though he and Mangold held several rounds of talks surrounding characters and story. The author is not involved in the new developments, though since it is early in the process, that may change. In fact, securing Gaiman will prove key for the project to go forward.

Kripke has been described as interested in tackling an adaptation but cautious because the comic book has such a passionate following and is held in such high regard. It’s the kind of series where each production decision, from casting to script to design, would be scrutinized by devotees.

Still, Kripke has managed to create and sustain “Supernatural,” which week in and week out deals with fantasy, mythological and horror elements. He also displayed a certain amount of creative integrity when he stuck to his guns by not returning as showrunner when the network renewed the series for a sixth season after he completed his planned five-season story line.

WBTV and WME, which reps Kripke, declined to comment.

From /film Wednesday, September 1st, 2010:
Neil Gaiman’s ‘Sandman’ Moving to TV, Possibly With ‘Supernatural’ Creator Eric Kripke on Board

Heat Vision Exclusive: Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman' being adapted ... as a TV show

Kripke left that attempt to adapt it though, didn't he?

If HBO wants my undying love, they'll adapt Sandman as a series and Stephen King's The Stand as a season-length miniseries.

Awesome. Personally, I think "American Gods " would be a better narrative for adaptation, for TV at least. In some ways "Supernatural" touches on very similar
ideas, although not in the same depth, or with Gaiman's wonderful style.

(BTW Supernatural seasons 1-5, the Kripke years, were the best, since Bobby Singer died, I haven't been able to watch it, not the same :(

Perhaps the Sandman, as an animated series ? Any adaptation would be good.
As long as they do my favourite story "Dream of 1000 cats."

Actually, an updated TV adaptation of Neverwhere is long past due. Would be very keen to see that, if the production values were at least as good as current Dr. Who.

On a related note,

Met Gaiman when he was down here in 2010, such a nice guy. He did a talk at Wellington town hall and gave fans (both adults and kids ) a chance to ask questions, and treated everyone with immense respect. Got my American Gods copy signed, wished him a safe trip home, what a super-star !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"