The shame of buying comics

"Critics who treat "adult" as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adults themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence....When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis, On Three Ways of Writing for Children

Very cool Kev.

I live in the UK where comics isn't such a big a thing as in the US. Most of the people that take the p*** out of me for collecting/reading comics only have there childhood memories of comics like The Beano, or The Dandy (ha, so gay), with characters like Desperate Dan and Dennis the Menace to go on. They have absolutely no idea of what comics are like today (they haven't read a comic for 20yrs), or rather the type of comics that I read. The Dandy/Beano were/are aimed specifically at children. That is all they have to go on, and these morons have the gall to argue with me about it having never read a single issue of (say) Punisher, Daredevil and other more adult orientated titles. Ignorant fools! Some of the time I let them read a copy of ASM #36, and it always shuts them up. Quite a powerful issue regardless of whether you're into superheroes or not.

Yo! Owattagosiam! where do ya live? I'm in the UK too, London, (NW to be precise,)

I tend to get a pretty good reaction everytime I tell someone I'm into comics. I don't know where you live, but I spend most of my life in central London, and I end up meeting a lot of people into comics, and I meet a lot of people who respect me as I managed to carry on collecting.

I used to be scared of telling people, but I guess you grow up some day and stop giving a ****. It was such a surprise to me that so many people dug what I was talking about, it's even got to the point where one of the reasons my current girlfriend is with me is because I'm into comics in my free time, as opposed to something mundane like football

I'm a musician, and when I went to music school it was so funny when I'd bring out my comics or bring out an issue of Wizard. So many people would ask me question after question, and keep lookin' at my books. It got to the point where I wouldn't pull them out anymore, as I couldn't read them, and people would keep grabbing them!

Hey Wolvie 2020,

I live in a little place called the Forest of Dean, (35sq. miles of woodland), or more specifically Coleford. It's as far west of London as you can get without going into Wales.

Unfortunately, the nearest decent comic store to me is 30 miles away in Bristol (there's one in Gloucester, which is 10 miles closer to me, but it's small, expensive and doesn't carry many titles), so I'm kinda isolated when it comes to this. The only comics you can get hold of around here is whatever's in the newsagents i.e British reprints of USM, UXM, Astonishing Spider-man etc. I only know of two people who share my interest in comics and one now lives in Oxford :(

Like you, I don't care what other poeple think of me or my interest. They don't like it? Fine, they don't have to hang around me and waste my time. Besides, 99% of the time they haven't even read any comics, so I mentally file their opinion under "Too stupid to give a ****!" If they actually read some I might give a damn, but what the hey.

I remember lending a female colleague, who'd been taking the piss, an issue of Uncanny (#?) in a stand alone about animal cruelty (not the best issue ever, but I knew she was quite into pets). She read it and nearly cried when Jean was reading the telepathic residue of the dead dog. She didn't poke fun at comics again.

Hey mate, I just sent Spiderfan4eva a post on good websites and good stores that have websites. Its in the Spiderman comics forum, and under 'help me please' or something to that extent. It may help you in getting decent books at a decent price.

Cheers Wolvie2020,

I do get a reasonable deal on my comics. I think. They've got a pretty good points system, but I'm not to sure about their conversion rate (i.e. $ to £'s). Sometimes I think I'm paying slighty over the top for the comics in the first place, only to get my money back when I claim my points.

Will definitely check out the info you provided though.

:)

Wow, I have none of those stereo types in my comic shop at all. In fact I was surprised to see people perpetuating that stereo type here of all places. :eek:

The shop I go to has a 3 or 4 girls working there. (All of which are extremely cute but in their teens so alas no real chance for Yoda anymore. :( ) The guys that work there aren't overweight at all and the people I see shop there are no different than what you would see shopping in a independent video store. I've never, not once, in 4 years of going to this shop seen anyone I would describe as a stereo typical comic reader.

Originally posted by masteryoda
Wow, I have none of those stereo types in my comic shop at all. In fact I was surprised to see people perpetuating that stereo type here of all places. :eek:

The shop I go to has a 3 or 4 girls working there. (All of which are extremely cute but in their teens so alas no real chance for Yoda anymore. :( ) The guys that work there aren't overweight at all and the people I see shop there are no different than what you would see shopping in a independent video store. I've never, not once, in 4 years of going to this shop seen anyone I would describe as a stereo typical comic reader.
I've seen a couple, but not as many as you'd expect. Yu Gi Oh! nerds, however... *shudders*

I want a job at that shop.

Join the club... :(

Yeah I guess I lucked out with that shop. I don't know why more shops don't hire girls to work there. If I was running one I'd make sure to and not for the reasons you'd think. (Well not entirly for that reason) ;) If you want girls to be comfortable to come into your store and buy manga or whatever comics they're into then having overwieght, lonley, geeky fanboys running the shop is not the way to go about it. You'll just scare them off. :(

:D My comic shop just recently hired a girl. As far as I know, she's the only one there, and she's rather attractive. I wonder how much **** she must get from the other guys that work there--most of them are stereotypical nerds.

heh She probably get's alot. Here's what I'm thinking though. THe girls you see in comic shops probably aren't as hot as they really are. It's because we see them in a comic shop that they appear to be really hot. ;) :(

Yeah I guess I lucked out with that shop. I don't know why more shops don't hire girls to work there. If I was running one I'd make sure to and not for the reasons you'd think. (Well not entirly for that reason) ;) If you want girls to be comfortable to come into your store and buy manga or whatever comics they're into then having overwieght, lonley, geeky fanboys running the shop is not the way to go about it. You'll just scare them off. :(

When I was managing a comic shop in the mid-90's, I hired a girl to help me out with some of the work, and she did attract more "guys" into the store. Unfortunately, she didn't know much about comics (she was one of those art-phag Vertigo types.... being alternative for the sake of being alternative)... but did she ever know how to set up some cool Magic decks. She even set up a few after hours Magic tournaments at my store.

Originally posted by Themanofbat
When I was managing a comic shop in the mid-90's, I hired a girl to help me out with some of the work, and she did attract more "guys" into the store. Unfortunately, she didn't know much about comics (she was one of those art-phag Vertigo types.... being alternative for the sake of being alternative)... but did she ever know how to set up some cool Magic decks. She even set up a few after hours Magic tournaments at my store.

Is that the kind of after hours magic tourney where she has to magically get the poison out of your snake? ;) :p :D

Well, I'm not ashamed of my comic addiction and I'm definetly not the stereotypical comic fan. I run a hip hop record label and have 3 albums under my belt and have been on several albums from other artists across the nation. Folks dont know I'm a comic nerd until they come to my home and see all the Spider-Man stuff and toys, they usually think it's pretty interesting. Check out my website and music here. www.nightshield.net.

3 New Albums This Year!!

Cin'atra - It'z Official - March
Night Shield - Kataztrophik - May
Overflow - New LP - July

Originally posted by incurock31
Comics aren't just for kids, and anyone who thinks so is an idiot. I dare them to read Preacher or Transmetropolitan and say that afterwards.

or Punisher, or even Daredevil at times. There is this one sixth grader who thinks the X-Men are for kids. I don't think he has met Stacy X who can give people Orgasims

Well, I feel like i dont belong in a comic shop either. I mean im not handsoome or that handsome or anything but still there are these guys with their sweatshirts with skulls on them etc and are talking about things you guys talk about, but it sounds so strange and kinda sad seeing them talk and nitpick like that.

I justt hink theirs a time for everything. I dont start talking about SPider-man or anything unless the other person asks. I tell people i read comic if a topic comes up but I never talk about them when I dont need to. I wear my Spiderman shirts at school ( the joe quesada USM wall crawl one) and thats about the only spiderman shirt i have.

I dont collect toys or anything, which even I think is a little strange, lets face it toys are for kids. There are no naked or or toys cussing at you when you press their hand.

Originally posted by DBM

IMO there is a reason for the stereotypes. When I go into my local comic store every Wed. I'm surrounded by the obese, bearded, socially inept, comic geeks in their stained, black Vampirella or Lady Death t-shirts. I feel totally out of place being a clean-cut professional just getting off work and going to the store in my khakis and a polo shirt.

But I don't really care because we all share the love of spiderman

I agree 100%. I dont know why most comics fans are metal punks or whatever. And I see that whenever I go into my comic shop. Its not stereotype, its fact.

Originally posted by Solid Snake
I dont collect toys or anything, which even I think is a little strange, lets face it toys are for kids. There are no naked or or toys cussing at you when you press their hand.

That's not necassarily true. Yeah, a lot of them are aimed at toys, but a lot of FIGURES (not toys :)) aren't really for playing with, they're for display (have you seen the Matrix figures, or anything by MacFarlane Toys?). I have a couple of figures from MacFarlane's Matrix Series 2, and they barely have any points of articulation, they're purely for show.

Figures aren't totally for kids anymore. They're collectables.

Funny how some people feel the same way about comics as you do about figures/toys.

*sigh* i tried to be a snail girl...but i have no retail experiance so no go....:(

Originally posted by USM ****e
That's not necassarily true. Yeah, a lot of them are aimed at toys, but a lot of FIGURES (not toys :)) aren't really for playing with, they're for display (have you seen the Matrix figures, or anything by MacFarlane Toys?). I have a couple of figures from MacFarlane's Matrix Series 2, and they barely have any points of articulation, they're purely for show.

Figures aren't totally for kids anymore. They're collectables.

Funny how some people feel the same way about comics as you do about figures/toys.

& least you forget...

4457625559.jpg

Have them read Watchmen, Vertigo, Sandman, Punisher, Elektra, and Alias and have them get back to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"