The shame of buying comics

Originally posted by FlameHead

and the funny thing is, the majority of comic collecters aren't kids.

I wonder if that's true, or a myth. Sure, as an adult I see plenty of other adults buying comics in my local comic shop and not many kids (although I just may not be there when kids are there). But, there is a lot of research commited to marketing and the ads in comics suggest to me that more kids than adults are reading them--they're certainly NOT aimed at me (a 31-year old male).

If it were true that the majority of comic collectors aren't kids, I would expect to see advertisments that more accurately reflect a demographic of "non-kids." Take a look at a maxim magazine (which targets 18-31-year old males) and you'll see a stark contrast in advertising.

Originally posted by Pariah
I wonder if that's true, or a myth. Sure, as an adult I see plenty of other adults buying comics in my local comic shop and not many kids (although I just may not be there when kids are there). But, there is a lot of research commited to marketing and the ads in comics suggest to me that more kids than adults are reading them--they're certainly NOT aimed at me (a 31-year old male).

If it were true that the majority of comic collectors aren't kids, I would expect to see advertisments that more accurately reflect a demographic of "non-kids." Take a look at a maxim magazine (which targets 18-31-year old males) and you'll see a stark contrast in advertising.

well you dont want to limit your audience...

but when you look at the max lines...they are mostly vid game ads....i guess maybe it isnt big enough market for ad comps to really take notice

Originally posted by Pariah

Who they target and who actually read them is two totally different things. They could be tageting the young age group to get more kids into the hype.... but the fact still may remain that adults are the ones eating up the mags.

Late last night I was in Wal-mart with some friends because we have nothing better to do. I saw these pretty cool 3-D Marvel posters and I picked up an X-men one. When I went check out the chasier goes "How old are you?" and I say "23" and she's goes "This is for you?" and I proundly say "YES It is!" and she's says "Ok".

You're not supposed to judge the customer. Wal-Mart :whatever:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hames
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"