The sliding timescale

chris moore

Sidekick
Reaction score
Was looking up Franklin Richards on Wiki this morning, and saw this bit about his age towards the bottom. It references the sliding Marvel timeline - a phenomenon we all try to get to grips with in order to establish how old our favourite heroes are and where they fit in. I've heard of the one in four theory before, but some of the examples they use here really seem to nail its definitive nature:

Various theories on character aging have been proposed, such as a sliding timescale, so that the 1961 origin of the Fantastic Four occurred a perpetual "ten years ago."[2] However, Marvel Editor Joe Quesada put the number at "maybe 7 years" ago into the 1980s. "Eventually, this increased to 10 years in the 90s, and then about 12 or 13 years, which is what we kind of go by today." [1]

Franklin's most recently stated age was 9 years in 2004 (in Marvel Knights 4 #1); if he was born in 1968 then he aged at a rate of one year for every four real years. This is fairly consistent with other characters who have been clearly shown to age, such as Cassie Lang (Stature) (who was 9 in 1978 and is now about 15), Spider-Man (who has aged from 15 in 1962 to his late twenties in the present day), and the original X-Men (who were teenaged students in the 1960s and are now teachers themselves).

The only one that doesnt quite add up for me is Beast. Cos the 1 in 4 (as he was 18 when he joined Xavier) makes him approximately 29. But he was saying back in the early to mid 90's that he was almost 30. So a couple years out there.

you are not the first to wonder about this but don't trust what Joe Quesada says he is most of the time talking out of his ass. its not 7 its 10 for marvel and dc.

you are not the first to wonder about this but don't trust what Joe Quesada says he is most of the time talking out of his ass. its not 7 its 10 for marvel and dc.

Agreed. although i noticed Bendis bumped the sliding timescale up to 15 years when he was writing Alias....

10 or 15 works for me.

I've been saying this on these boards since 2000 that the ONE Marvel year takes approximately 50 issues, which is close enough to the 4 to 1 ratio that you've mentioned.

Nice to see my own theories put into place by others... :woot: :woot: :woot:

:yay:

I really don't put much thought into it.

Surprisingly, neither do I. It's enough for me that Marvel allows some of its characters to age a little bit. I'd prefer not to nitpick about how they're aging, lest Marvel just stop them from doing so or regress them like they've been trying to do with Spider-Man for years.

In the Avengers one shot that came out after cival war, i believe it states that the FF have been around for 13 years.

Was looking up Franklin Richards on Wiki this morning, and saw this bit about his age towards the bottom. It references the sliding Marvel timeline - a phenomenon we all try to get to grips with in order to establish how old our favourite heroes are and where they fit in. I've heard of the one in four theory before, but some of the examples they use here really seem to nail its definitive nature:

Various theories on character aging have been proposed, such as a sliding timescale, so that the 1961 origin of the Fantastic Four occurred a perpetual "ten years ago."[2] However, Marvel Editor Joe Quesada put the number at "maybe 7 years" ago into the 1980s. "Eventually, this increased to 10 years in the 90s, and then about 12 or 13 years, which is what we kind of go by today." [1]

Franklin's most recently stated age was 9 years in 2004 (in Marvel Knights 4 #1); if he was born in 1968 then he aged at a rate of one year for every four real years. This is fairly consistent with other characters who have been clearly shown to age, such as Cassie Lang (Stature) (who was 9 in 1978 and is now about 15), Spider-Man (who has aged from 15 in 1962 to his late twenties in the present day), and the original X-Men (who were teenaged students in the 1960s and are now teachers themselves).

The only one that doesnt quite add up for me is Beast. Cos the 1 in 4 (as he was 18 when he joined Xavier) makes him approximately 29. But he was saying back in the early to mid 90's that he was almost 30. So a couple years out there.

I thought Beast was 21-ish in X-Men 1...wasn't he in college?

So okay...I've ALWAYS wanted to ask this...ages for all beginning marvel characters?

Spidey 26 - 29
Reed - 40ish
Ben - 40ish
Sue - early 30's
Johnny - 26-29
Stark - late 30's
Cap - Early 30's (relatively speaking)
Pym - late 30's
Wasp - early 30's
Thor - Early 100,000's
Banner - mid to late 30's
Hawkeye - early 30's
Vision - 7

But the cover to Amazing Fantasy #15 was Kirby.

Spidey 26 - 29
Reed - 40ish
Ben - 40ish
Sue - early 30's
Johnny - 26-29
Stark - late 30's
Cap - Early 30's (relatively speaking)
Pym - late 30's
Wasp - early 30's
Thor - Early 100,000's
Banner - mid to late 30's
Hawkeye - early 30's
Vision - 7

Peter Parker - 29 (for some reason, I always imagine him as teetering on the edge of 30)

And I'd put Cap in about his early 40's.

Except he was only about 24 or 25 when he got frozen. So, mid to late 30's for Cap.

Thor - Early 100,000's
That's a bit much. Thor was an adolescent during the Viking period, around the turn of the first AD millennium. He's probably no more than 1,000 to 1,200 years old.

Where does that number come from? :confused:
Except he was only about 24 or 25 when he got frozen. So, mid to late 30's for Cap.
Wouldn't he have been 28 if he was born 1917 and got frozen in 1945?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"