The sliding timescale

Hmm...28 in 1945 would put him his...EARLY 40'S!

Yeah, but he probably stopped aging at the moment he first transformed into Captain America or shortly thereafter, so he'll always be in his late teens/early 20s.

Yeah, but he probably stopped aging at the moment he first transformed into Captain America or shortly thereafter, so he'll always be in his late teens/early 20s.

The serum doesn't stop or slow aging. Plus, I can't see the whole of the Marvel Universe looking up to and willing to be lead by someone who looks like they're in their late teens.

Here's what I get for the majority of Marveldom agewise:

Characters with an asterisk have had their aging stopped/ been given second bodies etc, and thus don't look their age.

Avengers:

Antman: early to mid 30s
Black Panther: late 30s, early 40s
Captain America: early 90s*
Falcon: early to mid 30s
Hawkeye: early to mid 30s
Hulk: mid to late 30s
Iron Man: mid to late 30s
Henry Pym: mid to late 30s
Hercules: approximately 3000*
Quicksilver: early to mid 30s
Scarlet Witch: early to mid 30s
Thor: approximately 3000*
She Hulk: early to mid 30s
Mr. Marvel: early to mid 30s
Wasp: early to mid 30s
Wonderman: early to mid 30s
Abomination: late 30s
Doctor Samson: early 40s
Kang: early 70s*
Mandarin: mid-80s*
Red Skull: early 100s*
Loki: approximately 3,000*
Ultron: pre-teen

Fantastic Four:

Mr. Fantastic: early 40s
Invisible Woman: mid-30s
Human Torch: early-30s
The Thing: early 40s
Franklin Richards: about 7
Valeria Richards: about 2
Diablo: approximately 1,200*
Doctor Doom: early 40s
Klaw: late 50s
Moleman: early 60s
Namor: early 90s*

Marvel Knights:

Bullseye: late-30s.
Daredevil: late-30s
Dr. Strange: early 50s.
Elektra: mid-30s
Kingpin: mid-50s
Nick Fury:late-90s*
Punisher: mid-50s

Spider-Man:

Spider-Man: late 20s
Black Cat: mid to late 20s
Carnage: early 30s
Chameleon: early to mid 40s
Doctor Octopus: late 30s to early 40s
Electro: mid to late 30s
Green Goblin: early 50s
Kraven: early 50s
Lizard: early 40s
Molten Man: early 30s.
Mysterio: early 40s
Puma: mid-30s
Rhino: late 30s
Sandman: early 40s
Venom: early 30s
Vulture: early 70s

X-Men:

Apocalypse: approximately 5,000*
Angel: early 30s
Banshee:early 50s
Beast: early to mid 30s
Canonball: early to mid 20s
Chamber: early to mid 20s
Colossus: late 20s
Cyclops: early 30s
Dazzler: early 30s
Forge: mid-40s
Emma Frost: mid-30s
Gambit: late 20s
Jean Grey: early 30s
Havok: late 20s
Husk: late teens
Iceman: late 20s
Jubilee: late teens
Juggernaut: early-70s*
Magneto: late-70s*
Nightcrawler: early 30s
Polaris: late 20s.
Professor X: late-60s*
Psylocke: early 30s.
Rogue: late 20s
Shadow Cat: early 20s
Sinister: early 200s*
Stacy X: early 20s
Storm: early 30s
Wolverine: early 140s*

Was looking up Franklin Richards on Wiki this morning, and saw this bit about his age towards the bottom. It references the sliding Marvel timeline - a phenomenon we all try to get to grips with in order to establish how old our favourite heroes are and where they fit in. I've heard of the one in four theory before, but some of the examples they use here really seem to nail its definitive nature:

Various theories on character aging have been proposed, such as a sliding timescale, so that the 1961 origin of the Fantastic Four occurred a perpetual "ten years ago."[2] However, Marvel Editor Joe Quesada put the number at "maybe 7 years" ago into the 1980s. "Eventually, this increased to 10 years in the 90s, and then about 12 or 13 years, which is what we kind of go by today." [1]

Franklin's most recently stated age was 9 years in 2004 (in Marvel Knights 4 #1); if he was born in 1968 then he aged at a rate of one year for every four real years. This is fairly consistent with other characters who have been clearly shown to age, such as Cassie Lang (Stature) (who was 9 in 1978 and is now about 15), Spider-Man (who has aged from 15 in 1962 to his late twenties in the present day), and the original X-Men (who were teenaged students in the 1960s and are now teachers themselves).

The only one that doesnt quite add up for me is Beast. Cos the 1 in 4 (as he was 18 when he joined Xavier) makes him approximately 29. But he was saying back in the early to mid 90's that he was almost 30. So a couple years out there.

I'm thinking that the majority of marvel heroes are in their twenties,... an improvement over what used to be either teens or thirty-plusers,..
Don't forget three of the fantastic four were deaged about 15 years while the torch didn't,.. making him physically older than his older sister,...

based on current canon cage, fist, peter, and Spiderwench, (I'm losing respect for the character) are all in their early 30's.

Panther, Storm, Grimm, and Hank (Beast ) are mid thirties.

meh,.. My head hurts,.. disregard my last,... afterall I was the one who complained about Marvel heroes having christmas four times a year in their universe.

Yeah, it does.:huh:

Can you give me refernce for that? I thought it might, but I checked and didn't find anything to suggest it would. Plus, in all the alternate reality stories where Steve was never frozen, he's an old man in the present day.

Can you give me refernce for that? I thought it might, but I checked and didn't find anything to suggest it would. Plus, in all the alternate reality stories where Steve was never frozen, he's an old man in the present day.

Natasha/Natalia Romanova/Romanoff.:huh:

Not really, since I was talking about Cap, not Natasha.

She has the super soldier serum, but it was "tweaked" therefore a single word changes everything. Semantics. Don't mess with Texas boy.:cmad: :trans:

She has the super soldier serum, but it was "tweaked" therefore a single word changes everything. Semantics. Don't mess with Texas boy.:cmad: :trans:

It's not semantics when I'm talking about two different characters with two different power sets. :huh:

It's not semantics when I'm talking about two different characters with two different power sets. :huh:

N_Fury.jpg

Don't start something you can't finish.

I'm sorry, the Hoff is in play. Argument over.

I'm sorry, the Hoff is in play. Argument over.

How can there even be an argument when you were wrong to begin with?

And also, the more I look at that picture, the Hoff begins to not look bad at all as Fury. His voice is wrong, and the movie sucked, but he didn't look bad.

And one more thing...I just realized you're Darth. I just glanced at your avatar during this whole thing and assumed "The Iron Fist".

How can there even be an argument when you were wrong to begin with?

And also, the more I look at that picture, the Hoff begins to not look bad at all as Fury. His voice is wrong, and the movie sucked, but he didn't look bad.

And one more thing...I just realized you're Darth. I just glanced at your avatar during this whole thing and assumed "The Iron Fist".

The Luke Cage avatar was just too gangsta. I should go back to it.

The Luke Cage avatar was just too gangsta. I should go back to it.

You have to at least pick a character or person that's not being used by someone else. I don't wanna, you know...actually look to read the poster's name.

Isaiah Bradley's imperfect Super-Soldier Serum slows his aging, according to Wikipedia:
Wikipedia said:
Isaiah possesses agility, strength, speed, endurance, and reaction time superior to any Olympic athlete who has ever or ever will compete. Once it was metabolized, the Super-Soldier formula enhanced all of his bodily functions to the peak of human efficiency. His body eliminates any excessive build-up of lactic acid and other fatigue poisons in his muscles, granting him phenomenal endurance. He also has an extraordinary immunity to disease. His aging process was also slowed to some degree. Isaiah was trained in unarmed combat by the US Army.
Logically, one could assume that Cap's perfected Super-Soldier Serum/Vita-Ray process slowed or stopped his aging, as well.

If one doesn't want to assume things logically, however, one could look at Marvel 1602, which is the 616 timeline that was altered after time moved several decades down the line, then altered back to normal. In 1602's future, Captain America looks the same age he does in the current 616 time period.

Isaiah Bradley's imperfect Super-Soldier Serum slows his aging, according to Wikipedia:

Logically, one could assume that Cap's perfected Super-Soldier Serum/Vita-Ray process slowed or stopped his aging, as well.

If one doesn't want to assume things logically, however, one could look at Marvel 1602, which is the 616 timeline that was altered after time moved several decades down the line, then altered back to normal. In 1602's future, Captain America looks the same age he does in the current 616 time period.

1602 is in continuity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"