Superman Returns The Spiritual Side of Superman

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Well no, i'm saying that the Christ references elevate Superman from just an average Superhero. A Superhero is basically what he is, but if you look deeper, he is also much more in SR, i liked that fact and thought it added weight to a lot of the scene's in the movie.

If you want to look at it that way... I define a superhero as one who leads by example by fighting for and doing what's right... I like that side of superman and in fact it's the side of Richard in the movie that I think made him more likeable than Superman but ok. And yes it all sounds like sunshine and roses when you type it here but the execution of it in the film seemed poorly done. What's so wrong with a more subtle approach? You don't need to beat the audience over the head with it...

Oh and i get what you saying, but as i said earlier, i disagree with it. No, some the references were not subtle but i honestly didnt have a problem with it, and i enjoyed spotting them in the movie :yay:

spotting them... well they weren't hard to spot, that's for sure.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

The thing it is not because it was not subtle that it was as much a parody as you felt :cwink:

I thought simply that a lot of those image were poetics and really deeply moving (And i am not moved easily )

After that , we have all our own sensibility...

Well your definition of a superhero would be right Wesyeed, but Superman differs from that. He is a saviour, an example for us to follow, we shoudlnt depend on him like New York does on Spidey (as we saw in Spidey 2 when the crime rate went up 75% when he quit) or Gotham does on Batman, etc, etc. We should follow his example, and help others whether we know and love them or not. Superman is given the choice in the movie to help Lois or Metropolis as both are in immediate danger he chooses Metropolis. I'm not so sure any other hero would do the same in his position.

Also other heroes protect places they are from, grew in, and were born. Superman is not of our race or our world, yet chooses to protect our globe with his life, every day. This guy is practically a god and could rule our planet with ease, but instead chooses to guide us to be a better race, 'a great people' and he is guided to that role by two sets of very noble and very admirable parents.

SamuraiSon6 said:
I searched and didn't find a thread on this already, but if there is, feel free to merge or close....

I just wanted to say that I saw Superman Returns once in the theaters and it was a fun movie. It wasnt the best but it want the worst (by far). Ive always related more to Spider-Man more, personally. I honestly didnt read too many Superman comics when I was younger, but my growing interest in the Smallville TV series has recently spurred my interest in the Man of Steel more. The symbolic connections between Superman and Jesus Christ have always been apparent, but after reading the interview with Singer (found on the SHH! homepage), I have a new found respect for the movie and even Superman in general. I always related to Spider-Man because he had everyday teenager problems like we all have growing up, while being a superhero. In my opinion, it has always been the flaws of superheroes that most people relate to. Superman doesn't really have any, making it difficult for me to understand him. (I suppose that is why I seem to like Smallville so much). But this recent interview has me now looking at Superman in a whole new light. With my passion and longing to know Christ himself I have now found a connection to Superman himself. I personally belive that epics such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and The Chronicles of Narnia have always touched me because they create ways for me to relate a story 'similar' to that of my Christ's.

Manyof you fans who are more 'hardcore' Superman fans than myself may already see these connections and love Superman for these reasons, I myself am just entering into the world of relating to Superman and I am starting to enjoy it....

Good post.

I think that if the religious overtones of the movie has prompted you to be more curious about your religion then that is definitely a good thing.

I also have to admit that, though I'm not a Christian, these overtones can be fascinating if done right. Some movies go over board in making known the religious symbolism.

I think the movies that do it the best are the ones where not only is there the symbolism, but there is a subtle message that the director is trying to convey.

If you want to see a movie that is load with this, and one that I think does it quite well, its the Matrix. I also thought the original SW trilogy does a good job as well.

As far as Superman representing Jesus Christ, it clear that is what Donner and Singer was trying to convey in their movies as well as many Superman writers but ironically Superman's creators were Jewish. I don't know if Jesus is what they had in mind. Maybe more so Moses.

SamuraiSon6 said:
oh that is certainly understandable, i know MANY people on these boards believe it was too obvious and in your face. i understand that everyone doesn't want that in their 'entertainment'. the christian allegories(sp?) simply give me a personal connection to Superman that I never felt before.

Again outside of the christian symbolism and allegory, I didn't think that there was a message that was being conveyed. Which makes me ask, Whats the point? If there was one, I missed it. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Wesyeed said:
That's the problem. It's all superficial stuff. I think it was a mistake to skew so blatantly into an exclusively Jesus Passion of the Christ symbolism because Singer miscontrued the meaning of the original line by jor-el that he quotes all the time in these interviews.

The actual writers of it say that it can signify not just christ but messiahs from several religions. They were looking at it in a more open, possibly even secular, sense than Singer and as we saw in the film, Singer's misunderstanding of not just comic superman but Donner's was to me anyway his "vision's" greatest failing. Too many bad decisions were made before this movie was put into production.

I actually agree with you, I don't ever want Superman to be Jesus Christ, he never will be. In my opinion, the greatest element of the Star Wars mythology is that just about any religion, belief (or non belief for that matter) can relate to it.

There are already threads on the christian symbols in Superman Returns, I didn't intend for this thread to become another one of those, but I suppose it was inevitable.

I am not here to say wether I think the there was too much/not enough christian allegories in the film, I am simply saying my new found knowledge of these symbolic relations has made Superman extremely more interesting (personally)

Armand Z Trip said:
Lots of good mythological and spiritual stuff in Superman Returns. Has some contrasts with the Matrix trilogy. I can't remember if it was JJ Abrams, or someone else along the line of getting a new Superman movie on screens, who said that Neo was a new Superman. Neo is the christ figure, but represents a more gnostic and less redemption form of christianity. I heard a theory of the rave scene in Reloaded, this is their temple, their ritual, it is very sexual and very open. What Neo and Trinity are doing is private, secret, Neo has elevated this body above all others. If he is the saviour of the human race he pretty much sucks at it. When the Architect gives Neo the choice of Zion or Trinity, Neo chooses Trinity.

When Superman flies over the ocean to rescue Lois and Jason, he sees the pulse of New Krypton headed towards Metropolis, he has a choice. He chooses Metropolis, the many over the few. This is his elevation to God from man. The jedi pushing away from attachment. No more Last Tempation of Christ wondering about settling down with a family. However, it was only a threat to Lois that made Superman return to the world, before that Clark Kent had just returned to work.

Neo is resurrected from death in the first Matrix by Trinity's love. Superman is resurrected in Returns by the sun. As if God, the gods, the celestial masters, the sub atomic particles of the universe are saying, this guy ain't goin' anywhere. Lex saying he is Prometheus stealing fire from the gods to give to man is ********. He is the devil stealing Gods power to make his own world, he is punished by exile. I thought Superman had too many Atlas lifting the world references, however Superman is christlike in that he is rescue, salvation, not violence.

I think the spritual message of SR is like Don Quixote, if you want to be a knight, be a knight. Be christlike, be Superman. Rather than cry out against the instant gratification, 24 hour cable news, camera phone, information age, be of it and rise above it. Do not give in to cynicism and fatalism. Inspire. Care. Believe.

Excellent use of comparing SR and the Matrix. It has to be the first on these boards. I definitely agree with Neo being the new Superman.

I am a huge fan of the Matrix and I love your anaylsis on it. I don't know if you have read any of them, but there are many books about the Philosophy of the Matrix and other books that breaks down the religion content of the movies. (Not to knock SR but I wonder how many books will be written about its underlying themes? To be honest, I don't know if Superman movies are the right instrument to present heavy religious/Spritual ideas.)

Certainly, The Matrix movies in my opinion are just a thinly disquised Superman series. Would you agree? I wonder why the Wachoskis were not selected to direct Superman?

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Well your definition of a superhero would be right Wesyeed, but Superman differs from that. He is a saviour, an example for us to follow, we shoudlnt depend on him like New York does on Spidey (as we saw in Spidey 2 when the crime rate went up 75% when he quit) or Gotham does on Batman, etc, etc. We should follow his example, and help others whether we know and love them or not. Superman is given the choice in the movie to help Lois or Metropolis as both are in immediate danger he chooses Metropolis. I'm not so sure any other hero would do the same in his position.

Also other heroes protect places they are from, grew in, and were born. Superman is not of our race or our world, yet chooses to protect our globe with his life, every day. This guy is practically a god and could rule our planet with ease, but instead chooses to guide us to be a better race, 'a great people' and he is guided to that role by two sets of very noble and very admirable parents.

I wouldn't necessarily agree Superman is supposed to be an example to follow. It's rather difficult for a normal human to be able to follow in the footsteps of someone who can fly, has heat vision, super-strength etc. Also, the movie did not portray his behaviour as particularly exemplary - leaving without telling Lois, spying on her and Richard, etc... all those things have been questioned on here by many as making the character seem unlikeable.

If the Messiah symbolism worked for you and made you like the movie more, then so be it. But I think Singer is up to his usual tricks here of reinterpreting iconic characters into something they never were.

With the Spider-Man and Batman movies, the characters are created first, to be accurate, respectful representations ... with one or two changes. Then a story and a world is built around them.

Singer works in the opposite way. He builds worlds in which superheroes may exist but he has to force his heroes to behave in certain ways to fit the world he has created.

Directors should be very wary of bringing highly personal visions to movies. Such retellings, reimaginings and reinterpretations can be interesting but they also risk making characters into something entirely different.

Singer and his writers first need to study exactly who Superman (or the X-Men) are, and THEN build the story and the world in which they exist, not create the world and force the characters into it. Bryan's a good storyteller but he is not telling the characters' stories in the way they are meant to be told.

Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan, and also del Toro and Wachowskis, and Peter Jackson, never let their ego and their personal vision ride roughshod over the original material. The character comes first, not the director. In Singer's X-Men movies and in Superman, the characters behave in an out-of-character way in order to fit his ideas. In X3, they had to continue with Bryan's world and it got even worse when Fox mandates and actor availabilities dictated what would happen to certain characters. (like Anna Paquin suddenly deciding to do 'Margaret' and having to be surgically removed from most of the script). But Bryan had created his vision first and forced Storm, Rogue, Sabretooth and others to fit into it, rather than first looking closely at who Storm actually is, who Rogue actually is.

I know you are more accepting because, as you said, you haven't read Superman comics. If you had, you might find the movie left a very strange taste in your mouth.

I'm tired of directors hitting us over the head with their visions. The original material has enough vision of its own.

X-Maniac said:
I'm tired of directors hitting us over the head with their visions. The original material has enough vision of its own.

Good post but this statment is the greatest part. :up:

raybia said:
Excellent use of comparing SR and the Matrix. It has to be the first on these boards. I definitely agree with Neo being the new Superman.

I am a huge fan of the Matrix and I love your anaylsis on it. I don't know if you have read any of them, but there are many books about the Philosophy of the Matrix and other books that breaks down the religion content of the movies. (Not to knock SR but I wonder how many books will be written about its underlying themes? To be honest, I don't know if Superman movies are the right instrument to present heavy religious/Spritual ideas.)

Certainly, The Matrix movies in my opinion are just a thinly disquised Superman series. Would you agree? I wonder why the Wachoskis were not selected to direct Superman?

Thank you Raybia for your insightful responses and compliments.

I can't remember where I read it but apparently Singer said when he saw Neo fly in Reloaded he knew he could do a Superman film. I've read many philosophical pieces on the Matrix trilogy on the What is the Matrix? and Matrix 101 web sites. I enjoy the documentary on philosophy and the easter eggs on the special edition box set of the trilogy. I've watched all three movies with Cornell West and Ken Wilbers' commentary. I think it's fascinating stuff. I definitely think Neo is a new Superman, where's Neo? - he's doing his Superman thing.

The most obvious reference to M1 in SR to me was the bank robbery / bullet in the eye bit. Dark buildings, lots of shadow, a roof top with a helicopter and a chain gun, slo mo bullets. Dodge bullets? I don't have to, they just bounce off!

I don't know why WB did not get the Wachowkis' for Superman. If the estimate of Keanu personally walking away from the trilogy with $150,000,000 are correct, WB must have pulled a billion out of the trilogy. Maybe after the Tim Burton debacle, WB was like - no more wierdos! Maybe V was the Wachowski's priority. Maybe the WB just needed a break from Joel Silver! Go make a low budget horror movie with Paris Hilton, ok Joel?, after that trilogy we need to relax for a bit. I really enjoyed V and am looking forward to Speedracer. I loved SR, but as Demento wrote in his review it was rather "ponderous". I'm sure the sequel will be a lot more fun, more warrior, less saviour.

Have you ever played Path of Neo? I think you'd really enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81_WwX7ZzYY&mode=related&search=

^^^ Ponderous is a good word for it.

Armand Z Trip said:
The most obvious reference to M1 in SR to me was the bank robbery / bullet in the eye bit. Dark buildings, lots of shadow, a roof top with a helicopter and a chain gun, slo mo bullets. Dodge bullets? I don't have to, they just bounce off!

Damn you're right, I missed that! Singer, YOU HACK! :cmad:

I don't know why WB did not get the Wachowkis' for Superman. If the estimate of Keanu personally walking away from the trilogy with $150,000,000 are correct, WB must have pulled a billion out of the trilogy. Maybe after the Tim Burton debacle, WB was like - no more wierdos! Maybe V was the Wachowski's priority. Maybe the WB just needed a break from Joel Silver! Go make a low budget horror movie with Paris Hilton, ok Joel?, after that trilogy we need to relax for a bit. I really enjoyed V and am looking forward to Speedracer.

I alway hoped that the Wachowskis would do SR. Who knew it would turn out to be Speed Racer! :woot: By the way, "I LOVE SPEED RACER!!!! I grew up on that series. What great news that the Wach. bros are directing. I'm positive that they will capture the sprirt of that series W/O the cheese.

I loved SR, but as Demento wrote in his review it was rather "ponderous". I'm sure the sequel will be a lot more fun, more warrior, less saviour.

I agree wholeheartedly. I definitely believe that Singer will produce a better sequel by virtue all of the...um, feedback from fans and lackluster box office.

Have you ever played Path of Neo? I think you'd really enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81_WwX7ZzYY&mode=related&search=

No but hopefully I will.

I love those movies and I love that even to this day, there is continuous debate about the movies.

Imagine, a movie that requires you to think. :wow:

Now theres a novel idea. :cwink:

raybia said:
No but hopefully I will.

I love those movies and I love that even to this day, there is continuous debate about the movies.

Imagine, a movie that requires you to think. :wow:

Now theres a novel idea. :cwink:

I know EXACTLY, what you mean.:cwink:

Armand Z Trip said:
I know EXACTLY, what you mean.:cwink:

Hey thats Morphus's line! :woot:

Ummm...I think its time to go back to my Morphus Avatar. Should I?

No dude, that avatar was great, but after Lando, Peck and Gumbel -you just gotta keep going forward! What will he do next? Stay tuned kids!

X-Maniac said:
I wouldn't necessarily agree Superman is supposed to be an example to follow. It's rather difficult for a normal human to be able to follow in the footsteps of someone who can fly, has heat vision, super-strength etc. Also, the movie did not portray his behaviour as particularly exemplary - leaving without telling Lois, spying on her and Richard, etc... all those things have been questioned on here by many as making the character seem unlikeable.

If the Messiah symbolism worked for you and made you like the movie more, then so be it. But I think Singer is up to his usual tricks here of reinterpreting iconic characters into something they never were.

With the Spider-Man and Batman movies, the characters are created first, to be accurate, respectful representations ... with one or two changes. Then a story and a world is built around them.

Singer works in the opposite way. He builds worlds in which superheroes may exist but he has to force his heroes to behave in certain ways to fit the world he has created.

Directors should be very wary of bringing highly personal visions to movies. Such retellings, reimaginings and reinterpretations can be interesting but they also risk making characters into something entirely different.

Singer and his writers first need to study exactly who Superman (or the X-Men) are, and THEN build the story and the world in which they exist, not create the world and force the characters into it. Bryan's a good storyteller but he is not telling the characters' stories in the way they are meant to be told.

Sam Raimi and Christopher Nolan, and also del Toro and Wachowskis, and Peter Jackson, never let their ego and their personal vision ride roughshod over the original material. The character comes first, not the director. In Singer's X-Men movies and in Superman, the characters behave in an out-of-character way in order to fit his ideas. In X3, they had to continue with Bryan's world and it got even worse when Fox mandates and actor availabilities dictated what would happen to certain characters. (like Anna Paquin suddenly deciding to do 'Margaret' and having to be surgically removed from most of the script). But Bryan had created his vision first and forced Storm, Rogue, Sabretooth and others to fit into it, rather than first looking closely at who Storm actually is, who Rogue actually is.

I know you are more accepting because, as you said, you haven't read Superman comics. If you had, you might find the movie left a very strange taste in your mouth.

Superman is definately meant to be an example to follow for the people of his world, not neccessarily us. The people of his world dont know he sat outside Lois' house and they dont seem bothered that he left with no explanantion. they just all of the great and extremely heroic deeds that he does and they are meant to follow that.

Obviously they cant follow him exactly because non of them have his powers. But they can follow the nature of his deeds to become a better people, i.e. helping others in every way possible, being noble and responsible and putting yourself on the line for people you have never met and probably never will meet.

SamuraiSon6 said:
I actually agree with you, I don't ever want Superman to be Jesus Christ, he never will be. In my opinion, the greatest element of the Star Wars mythology is that just about any religion, belief (or non belief for that matter) can relate to it.

There are already threads on the christian symbols in Superman Returns, I didn't intend for this thread to become another one of those, but I suppose it was inevitable.

I am not here to say wether I think the there was too much/not enough christian allegories in the film, I am simply saying my new found knowledge of these symbolic relations has made Superman extremely more interesting (personally)

I am in exactly the same boat, i'm not particularly religious (though i am a christian) and i have never really been that interested in Superman as a character. But for some reason, with the religious allegories in this, Superman just holds a sense of wonder and curiosity he's never held for me before, i dont know why, but it makes Superman a much more interesting character than i ever thought he was.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Superman is definately meant to be an example to follow for the people of his world, not neccessarily us. The people of his world dont know he sat outside Lois' house and they dont seem bothered that he left with no explanantion. they just all of the great and extremely heroic deeds that he does and they are meant to follow that.

Obviously they cant follow him exactly because non of them have his powers. But they can follow the nature of his deeds to become a better people, i.e. helping others in every way possible, being noble and responsible and putting yourself on the line for people you have never met and probably never will meet.

The looking through the house bit, a lot of people can't stand it and call it stalking. I don't think it's stalking because stalking continues and this stops. It is spying or eavesdrooping of course, however, I think this is an important part of the film because of the family situation he is looking at and what it means to Superman. It is like The Last Temptation of Christ when Jesus has the dream of marrying Mary Magdalen, settling down and having children. In his dream the apostles appear before Jesus while he's gardening and Judas says, what are you doing? A home, a family, these things are for men, not gods.

It's not like Superman is looking at Lois in the shower. He is seeing a happy family in a beautiful home. A glass of wine and chatting with the wife in the kitchen as she serves the chinese takeout, while all the while junior plays the piano in another room. This is something Superman can never have. When he flys away he hears his father - remember, although you have been raised as a human being, you are not one of them. Superman hovers at the edge of the atmosphere, he is the only one on the planet that sees the human race as a unified whole. Rather than cry, get drunk or sit and around and feel sorry for himself, he busts up a bank robbery and saves two security guards lives. Duty over desire.

I really get what you meant by being noble and doing all you can, following the nature if his deeds, putting yourself on the line for people who you will never meet. I referred to that a lot in my review for Casino Royale.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256833&page=5

What it means to be a true man of will. Giving your all. As Captain Mal would say, you walk until you can't walk anymore, then you crawl, and when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you.

Armand Z Trip said:
The looking through the house bit, a lot of people can't stand it and call it stalking. I don't think it's stalking because stalking continues and this stops. It is spying or eavesdrooping of course, however, I think this is an important part of the film because of the family situation he is looking at and what it means to Superman. It is like The Last Temptation of Christ when Jesus has the dream of marrying Mary Magdalen, settling down and having children. In his dream the apostles appear before Jesus while he's gardening and Judas says, what are you doing? A home, a family, these things are for men, not gods.

It's not like Superman is looking at Lois in the shower. He is seeing a happy family in a beautiful home. A glass of wine and chatting with the wife in the kitchen as she serves the chinese takeout, while all the while junior plays the piano in another room. This is something Superman can never have. When he flys away he hears his father - remember, although you have been raised as a human being, you are not one of them. Superman hovers at the edge of the atmosphere, he is the only one on the planet that sees the human race as a unified whole. Rather than cry, get drunk or sit and around and feel sorry for himself, he busts up a bank robbery and saves two security guards lives. Duty over desire.

I really get what you meant by being noble and doing all you can, following the nature if his deeds, putting yourself on the line for people who you will never meet. I referred to that a lot in my review for Casino Royale.

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256833&page=5

What it means to be a true man of will. Giving your all. As Captain Mal would say, you walk until you can't walk anymore, then you crawl, and when you can't crawl anymore, you find someone to carry you.

I totally agree with you. I had no problem with the scene in question and i never will. It is actually a scen that makes me feel sorry for Superman and it is one of my favourite scene's. I actually thought Superman acted very noble throughout the movie and i dont see how people can call him a stalker when he could look through Lois' or any other womans clothes, any time he wants, yet he never does.

He hasnt seen Lois for 5 whole years so i think what he does is natural.

Oh and good to see a fellow Firefly lover too.

raybia said:
Good post.

As far as Superman representing Jesus Christ, it clear that is what Donner and Singer was trying to convey in their movies as well as many Superman writers but ironically Superman's creators were Jewish. I don't know if Jesus is what they had in mind. Maybe more so Moses.
Just wanted to make a comment about the last part of your post... in the Jewish belief the messiah has not come yet. And although they sternly believe in one, his name would more likely be Abraham.

Love your posts, Love this thread... and I love your sig too!

Angry Sentinel said:
Just wanted to make a comment about the last part of your post... in the Jewish belief the messiah has not come yet. And although they sternly believe in one, his name would more likely be Abraham.

Love your posts, Love this thread... and I love your sig too!

Thanks for the love!

I mentioned Moses not just because he is a prophet of Judaic belief, nor because I thought he was a messiac figure, but because of Moses begins of how he was put in a small craft by his real women and put in the Nile river and set him adrift until he came to rest and discovered by Pharaoh daughter where she raised him as her son in the house of Pharaoh.

That's Kal-El orgin right there.

Here is another tidbit since you mentioned Abraham.

Abraham is known in scripture as "the friend of G-d".

Superman in Superman: The Movie, when asked by Lois, "Who are you?", he answers "A friend."

What is the name for friend in Arabic,which is a sister language to Aramaic and Herbrew? Kha-lil (Kal-El).

The comparisons of the Superman Mythos to Christ Mythos are relavant.. just as the Christ Mythos has been compared to much of Greek mythology. I can't remember who wrote it (but it is mentioned in the documentary 'the god who wasn't there'.) There is a good write up from ancient greek on what makes a good mythos, what characteritstics and circumstances lead to an 'interesting and inspiring hero'. Some of them being born under mysterious circumstances, returning from the dead, being an outcast then accpeted. I see the Christ mythos, I see Greek mythos. Superman is no different, a lot tones that were used in greek mythology came out in Superman from day one. We could compare the similarities to stories of a pantheon of gods. (Hercules - Strength, Achilles - Kryptonite, etc...) The powerful images and storylines Singer used in Superman returns are that of a classical hero, same as the storyline of Jesus or almost any other classical works of fiction. I think that is what Singer was going for, these broad concepts that the masses always understand and relate to, it's a really good formula.

fuelburningorac said:
The comparisons of the Superman Mythos to Christ Mythos are relavant.. just as the Christ Mythos has been compared to much of Greek mythology. I can't remember who wrote it (but it is mentioned in the documentary 'the god who wasn't there'.) There is a good write up from ancient greek on what makes a good mythos, what characteritstics and circumstances lead to an 'interesting and inspiring hero'. Some of them being born under mysterious circumstances, returning from the dead, being an outcast then accpeted. I see the Christ mythos, I see Greek mythos. Superman is no different, a lot tones that were used in greek mythology came out in Superman from day one. We could compare the similarities to stories of a pantheon of gods. (Hercules - Strength, Achilles - Kryptonite, etc...) The powerful images and storylines Singer used in Superman returns are that of a classical hero, same as the storyline of Jesus or almost any other classical works of fiction. I think that is what Singer was going for, these broad concepts that the masses always understand and relate to, it's a really good formula.

Sfor the wisdom of SolomonAs Captain Marvel, Billy has instant access to a vast amount of scholarly knowledge. The wisdom of Solomon also gives Marvel clairvoyance and provides him with counsel and advice in times of need. In early Captain Marvel stories, he also had knowledge of all languages and sciences, ancient and modern, and could hypnotize people as well, through this power.Hfor the strength of Hercules*Dubbed "The World's Mightiest Mortal," Captain Marvel has incredible amounts of super strength, and is able to easily bend steel, punch through walls, and lift massive objects. Marvel's strength is enough that he has fought beings such as Superman or Wonder Woman to a standstill.Afor the stamina of AtlasUsing Atlas' endurance, Captain Marvel can withstand and survive most types of extreme physical assaults. Additionally, he does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe and can survive unaided in space when in Captain Marvel form.Zfor the power of ZeusZeus' power, besides fueling the magic thunderbolt that transforms Captain Marvel, also enhances Marvel's other physical and mental abilities, provides physical invulnerability and grants magic resistance against most magic spells and attacks, as well as allowing for interdimensional travel. Marvel can use the lightning bolt as a weapon by dodging it and allowing it to strike an opponent or target. The magical lightning has many uses, including creating apparatus, restoring damage done to Marvel, or acting as fuel for magical spells.Afor the courage of AchillesLike the wisdom, this aspect is primarily psychological, and gives Marvel superhuman amounts of inner strength on which to draw.Mfor the speed of MercuryBy channeling Mercury's speed, Captain Marvel can fly and move at great speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"