The Superhero Cinematic Civil War

This seems to be Sony's MO. Wasn't Pascal who's always said that the Sonyverse was in the Marvelverse? Cue to Fiege's face.
I think her words were MCU Adjacent. But that I do agree Sony has been trying to do by making their movies seem quasi related. First MCU-Adjacent, then part of the multiverse and now after the Venom 3's trailer who knows. But I don't think the castings are anything more than coincidences. It's no different than someone like Lawrence Fishburn appearing the the DCEU then popping up in the MCU.

And if for some reason they are on purpose, only a small percentage of the audience are gonna pick up on it anway.

Zaslav has no idea what’s good and what isn’t. It didn’t take much for someone to convince him that Flash was peak cinema and worthy of going all in on. Everything deserves a release in my book anyway.

And the world would be a dimmer place without Madame Web. :beaming:
I agree. If you pay people to make a movie and they make it in good faith, release it.

YouTube is a treasure trove for pre-MCU Marvel movies. I finally got around to watching Captain America (1990).

My verdict? It's a movie I guess :oldrazz:

In all fairness it plays as exactly what it is: a low budget straight-to-video comic book movie from three-and-a-half decades ago. Matt Salinger spends less than a quarter of the film in the Captain America costume, and I'm not sure whose boneheaded idea it was to replace the Red Skull mask with botched plastic surgery makeup. The original skull design was much more interesting than the hero's actual costume...

Having said all that, the film isn't a total wash. It's fast and breezy, good-natured and harmless, doesn't overstay its welcome, has a charming retro aesthetic, some inspired location work, and is pretty faithful to the Captain America mythology (there were some nice man-out-of-time elements to the script). The part I found the most interesting though was an early reference to both the Sub-Mariner and the original android Human Torch. Does that mean 21st Century Film Corporation originally had the film rights to those characters as well? Hmmmmm....

Speaking of which, I'd still love to see an Invaders movie with Namor, Bucky, Human Torch, Toro, Captain America (let's see what Steve was up to for all those years in the past), Union Jack, Whizzer, Blazing Skull, and Silver Scorpion. Add Baron Blood as the villain and I'll be one happy fan :yay:

One other thing I found interesting. Two Captain America made-for-TV films were produced in 1979 for CBS. Apparently there was a partnership between Marvel and CBS to adapt Marvel properties for television, which resulted in The Incredible Hulk show, The Amazing Spider-Man show, a Dr. Strange TV movie, the two Captain America TV movies, and three Incredible Hulk TV films co-starring Thor(!) and Daredevil(!!)

This means somewhere out in the Multiverse, there exists a live-action Marvel shared universe that was developed long before the MCU was even a twinkle in Kevin Feige's eye. Jiminy Cricket :oldrazz:

Next up: Roger Corman's Fantastic Four (1994) :ff:

tumblr_e90670ef4493fe09cbafcbb1508e1ebe_5c8efe2b_540.gif

YouTube is a treasure trove for pre-MCU Marvel movies. I finally got around to watching Captain America (1990).

In all fairness it plays as exactly what it is: a low budget straight-to-video comic book movie from three-and-a-half decades ago. Matt Salinger spends less than a quarter of the film in the Captain America costume, and I'm not sure whose boneheaded idea it was to replace the Red Skull mask with botched plastic surgery makeup. The original skull design was much more interesting than the hero's actual costume...

Having said all that, the film isn't a total wash. It's fast and breezy, good-natured and harmless, doesn't overstay its welcome, has a charming retro aesthetic, some inspired location work, and is pretty faithful to the Captain America mythology (there were some nice man-out-of-time elements to the script). The part I found the most interesting though was an early reference to both the Sub-Mariner and the original android Human Torch. Does that mean 21st Century Film Corporation originally had the film rights to those characters as well? Hmmmmm....

Speaking of which, I'd still love to see an Invaders movie with Namor, Bucky, Human Torch, Toro, Captain America (let's see what Steve was up to for all those years in the past), Union Jack, Whizzer, Blazing Skull, and Silver Scorpion. Add Baron Blood as the villain and I'll be one happy fan :yay:

One other thing I found interesting. Two Captain America made-for-TV films were produced in 1979 for CBS. Apparently there was a partnership between Marvel and CBS to adapt Marvel properties for television, which resulted in The Incredible Hulk show, The Amazing Spider-Man show, a Dr. Strange TV movie, the two Captain America TV movies, and three Incredible Hulk TV films co-starring Thor(!) and Daredevil(!!)

This means somewhere out in the Multiverse, there exists a live-action Marvel shared universe that was developed long before the MCU was even a twinkle in Kevin Feige's eye. Jiminy Cricket :oldrazz:

View attachment 93194

lol that costume. I have to give Salinger some credit for being able to film scenes in that thing despite the eyeholes partially covering his field of vision. Seriously, costume designers… no one was expecting the Burton batsuit but could you at least give the guy a mask that fits his face?

And yeah, I remember seeing this movie as a kid (and loving it because I was a moron back then) and being confused as to why the Red Skull spent most of the movie with that awful plastic surgery makeup. Not that he looked much better in his original form but at least that look attempted to be a little bit comic book accurate. Then again, this was an inexplicably Italian Red Skull so who knows what they were thinking.

Anyway, those 1970s Craptain America TV movies were even worse than this one if you can believe it. I only watched a bit of one of them and turned it off. They were so bad that even the 12-year-old version of myself who loved the 1990 Cap movie couldn’t sit through them. However, they did star veteran B-movie actor Reb Brown, who appeared in the cinematic masterpiece that is Space Mutiny. Here is a supercut of all the action hero nicknames that the MST3K crew gives his character in that movie:

Gristle McThornbody! Dirk Hardpec!

90's Captain America is truly bizarre in every sense but I dug it. When it became an 80s spaghetti spy thriller in the middle, I was in it.

19ui.gif

hxrgnIu.gif

View attachment 93194
I saw this movie the summer before my senior year of high school. I used to go into our neighborhood grocery store every day after work (I worked mornings) to grab a hot plate from their lunch counter. The grocery also had a small section of vhs videos that you could rent. (Yes, in the 90’s you could shop at small, family owned grocery stores, rent videos and buy hot food there as well.). That summer, there was a cute girl who started working at the video counter so I would rent movies so that I could flirt with her. One of those times, I rented this Captain America. After I took it home and watched it, I remember thinking “great. I’m sure I look like a fool for having rented this garbage!”

View attachment 93194
And I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on Corman’s FF. I would say that it is worth a watch, if nothing else, for its Dr Doom, who is unfortunately the best live action Doom to date.

It's crazy how thus far apart from Gunn himself the movies have the most dull creatives behind them they could possibly have chosen and the TV side meanwhile is several calibres of talent higher. Hope this is true!
EDIT: Totally misread your post and thought by "dull creative" you meant McBride. Nothing about that guy is dull, lol

Last edited:
I couldn't care less whether Taylor Swift is in the movie or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"