Revenge of the Fallen The Twins: Racist?

I added latinos because they are the second largest minority group in said "ghettos". I have not changed my position, blacks are the predominant group in those areas. It's a statistical fact. So much so that it is common knowledge.

As for who thinks of minorities when "ghetto" is referenced, let's try....anyone in the US. You cannot be serious in trying to rebuttal this, as if the word has somehow contained multiple meanings in common American language.

Did you just completely ignore the five billion instances where I've stated terms such as "black" or "white" are generalized to describe a particular group or socioeconomical status? I would have thought you could properly infer what I was talking about. I'm more than aware that all races are capable of being placed within any criteria described as "black", "white", etc. Your problem is you're looking for things that aren't there.

I'm at least comforted that at least one poster (Da-Scribe) knows exactly what I'm talking about without twisting words and meanings.
Fine Crook, backpeddle all you want. If the word 'black' truly is a generalized term, which is somehow supposed to incorporate all poor people, then I say... HOGWASH. But if that is the pedestal you stand on then so be it.

I wasn't trying to villianize you at either rate (unless you showed yourself to be a villian on your own). I was simply pointing out the danger of making the word "ghetto" and the depiction of the twins as ONLY offensive to black people. Especially if the reason is because ONLY black people spring to mind when you hear such words or see such characterizations...

Without using the 'archaic' definition of the word racism, I'm sure you would find that if this causes that type of imagery to spring to mind, that is WAY more conducive to the meaning of racism than a characterization in a fictional story.

Last edited:
First of all, you really don't want to trace the history of the word Ghetto as it applies to contemporary social settings because you would find that it still SHOULD not apply ONLY to black people. The fact that it does for a group of people (even young black folks) is distressing to say the least, but leads to my next point.

Second,I get what your saying. Now you must take the next step. You need to understand that it is far more racist, that someone would only think of black people from the reference of Ghetto (or even the characterization) than it was for Bay to use the characterization in entertainment.

This has, and STILL IS my biggest point.

I agree with the beginning, but your keys to ending racism are a little... short. That would be a discussion for another time.

You seem to have this idea that I or Crook are the one's that assigned these terms their meanings. I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that's the way it is. I see your point of view and respect it, but that's an ideal world. You can't just live in the shoulds and should-nots without actually first accepting the is and is-nots. I'm not ok with ghettos being mostly black. I'm not ok with ghettos existing at all. But to delude myself into believing that it exists in some other light? That's playing sandbag in an issue I've lived with for the near 20 years of my life.

So no, I will not understand that it's far more racist. That's what I grew up with, an incredibly low income area filled with blacks. My line of thinking isn't based on the implication that every ghetto is populated with only blacks. It's based on the fact that that's what's predominantly there.

When I think of a term, and this goes for nearly anyone, I think of what's most commonly associated with it before thinking of the smaller bits. That'd be like reading a novel and understanding the different literary meanings before comprehending the evident, rhetorical aspect of it. When what's common changes, so does a person's line of thinking. It's natural, not racist. Racist would be saying that's the way it should be.

Growing up as a mixed kid in a large mixed family, it's always been easiest for us to cope with our differences by laughing. So please, don't insult my intelligence and tell me my method is short. If it doesn't work for you, then move on to something else. But I'll end that discussion here.

Fine Crook, backpeddle all you want.
You keep using this term as if it's actually occurred. Unless you can prove that I've taken back ANY of my original points, then stop.

If the word 'black' truly is a generalized term, which is somehow supposed to incorporate all poor people, then I say... HOGWASH. But if that is the pedestal you stand on then so be it.
We've strayed from the original point of contention. In the US, ghetto is automatically associated with "black" neighborhoods. Generally because the areas are pre-dominantly black. Does that mean only blacks are poor? No, of course not. I've lived there, and whites, asians, middle-easterners, latinos, can be found just as frequently as you see them in the suburban areas.

In the same way that someone refers to rap as a "black" art-form, or tennis as a "white" sport, they are merely ascribing the criteria according to the majority population. In no way does that exclude other races because of it.

If you can understand this very basic concept of word usage and social context, then I'm positively sure we wouldn't even be arguing in the first place.

It isn't the lack of understanding Crook, Edit... I digress, I have already stated and contended the point may not be malicious. On this we do not need to argue. However , if there is a lack of understanding then it would be on your part. You still do not see the ONLY point I have been attempting to convey.

To Da-scribe, I had a really nice post reply to you as well even though you took your leave of the conversation. I will provide a summary

I apologize for the offense. In truth I wasn't attacking you or trying to villianize. My original point stands, it is that COMMON imagery of 'blacks' that must NOT be accepted. Not because there aren't blacks in the ghetto, but because it is wholely unfounded to recognize only the blacks as our imagery for such a negative connotation.

Again, young brother, I only meant to give you something MORE (to add to) to think about, not discount your current line of thinking.

Last edited:
The Guard,
If I’m a mad conspiracy theorist, you’re a Pollyanna who doesn’t believe that historical precedence has little bearing on contemporary events. I’m not a big believer in coincidence or that things just happen, because historically they didn’t just happen, not for the most part. Much like President Reagan said, “Trust but verify.”
Hollywood:
Racial exclusion was a deliberate, calculated act in Hollywood and much of the US for centuries. I think perhaps that the lack of access blacks and other minorities still have in Hollywood is a legacy of past discrimination. Networks were formed, friendships made, traditions were born, and blacks and other minorities were at the margins of it. As you said, part of it is who you know, and if this social group has been formed already, with people who look like you and might share your worldview, you don’t want it disrupted by outsiders, particularly any that you fear might rock the boat, or might mention unseemly racial history or make you check yourself for telling an off-color (no pun intended) joke. Today, Hollywood is controlled mainly by white people, from financial backing to scriptwriting, to casting, etc. The only black people that come close to being Hollywood moguls are Oprah and Tyler Perry. Oprah has made, or starred in a handful of movies at best-The Color Purple, Women of Brewster Place, Their Eyes Were Watching God, A Raisin in the Sun, and Beloved, and most of those were on TV. Perry is coming up and he’s expanding, and proving his profitability, not because of Hollywood’s welcoming arms, but in spite of them.

As for why young black stars don’t get the push, I agree with you that a lot of people don’t get a push. But the majority of people who do are white. Also, you said that part of the problem might be a lack of black roles. What exactly is a black role? I think part of the problem is that casting directors, etc., actually do think black actors fit certain roles and might steer young talent into them. There has been more than one article written, usually in the black media, but occasionally in the larger white media, about the lack of roles for black actors. Then there is also the issue of the lack of quality roles.

Halle was a visible selling point for the X-films, no disputing that. I said it first, remember? But why didn’t that translate over into a substantial role, since they were using her a lot for the marketing campaign? IMO I think a lot of people write what they know and there is still an issue of whites identifying enough with blacks as human beings to make them three-dimensional characters in far too many mass media products. So, they might fall back on racial stereotypes, their idea of what a black person might be without really doing the research to find out how black people are. Or they just leave the black character woefully underdeveloped, or they might be so goody goody that it’s unrealistic, perhaps in a paternalistic desire to not offend black people or to tout their liberal sensibilities. I’m not opposed to blacks being bad guys or having shades of gray. Or they could be so cold, either hardass or badass that it they have no inner life but whatever the role requires. Are there some people like that in real life? Sure, but in Hollywood how many black characters are shunted into this type of two-dimensional roles? Roles where you don’t really identify with them, they don’t change, they don’t have sex, they are there to support white characters or make white characters laugh, or they are there to be saved by white characters, and occasionally chastised by white characters.

Comics:

On the surface there is a logic in what you say about the bigger projects being put out first. However, the evidence doesn’t bear that out necessarily. Along with some of the heavy hitters that have come out, you’ve had four Alan Moore films, Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, two Hellboy films, 300, Sin City, The Spirit, The Shadow, The Phantom, Ghost World, three Blade films, Steel, Tank Girl, Barb Wire, American Splendor, Elektra, etc. that were not universally known, perhaps Watchmen, even among the genre community. Also, heroes like Ghost Rider, Spawn, Daredevil, The Punisher, and even Iron Man weren’t well known in the mainstream press. I almost lost it when I read a report that Iron Man was a second tier character. It’s like I’ve known IM all my life and he was never second tier to me, however that might not be how the mass audience sees it. So, there is a hierarchy among comic characters in regards to who gets movies or who doesn’t. But perhaps Marvel and DC are concerned about the marketability of black characters and are reluctant to spend a lot of money on a ‘risky’ proposition. As for the comics industry itself, almost every black guy I know knows something about comic book heroes, plays superhero video games, and at least has seen some movies. Black people also go to comic book stores and there is a black comic fan online community. The majors have largely ignored this community and failed to build significant inroads into the black community and others by actually developing interesting black and other non-white characters. People like reading about people who look like them, people perhaps they feel they can identify with the most, and there is the idea that comics might serve as a power fantasy. Terry McMillan once talked about a perception among the publishing industry that black people don’t read, so that 'justified' them not trying to cultivate this audience. Until her book Waiting to Exhale showed them that black people do read, and now you have all types of books written by black authors. Perhaps if comic companies had done more to cultivate black readership or do more now to, they might actually get more black readers.

Most comic companies are run by white men and largely staffed by white men and I think there is that problem with identification again. Or a feeling that blacks are too much the other, too inscrutable to really get a grasp on. Also, they largely write for their white male audience. Why aren’t many of these black characters, such as Cyborg and John Stewart all that interesting? Because they mostly haven’t been developed well. Perhaps many were created with the best of intentions, but after the diversity point was scored, they were left idle to twist in the wind, largely without development to make them interesting. Hal Jordan wasn’t all that interesting either until Geoff Johns came along. I wish Johns would give a little more attention to Stewart. Then again, Johns doesn’t have a good record in that regard. He was one of the writers for Blade the series where Blade took a backseat to Krista and Marcus, two white characters. Many fans of that show, and I still liked the show even though I disliked what they did to Blade, would agree that Blade was the least interesting thing about the series.

Denzel has expressed interest in doing a hero movie, but no one has seemed that interested in following up with him. From what I’ve read, Wesley Snipes was actually more interested in doing Black Panther, but he couldn’t get the project off the ground. He switched to Blade instead. But even a couple years ago, I heard about Snipes still trying to get that BP project off the ground.

I’m not sure if Hancock proved the viability of black heroes or the ever expanding appeal of Will Smith. Hopefully it will garner more interest into exploring black superheroes. Of course things take time, but I don’t believe it’s to sit back and let nature take its course. Because it might take a course you don’t want it to. I think there needs to be constant pressure placed on Hollywood regarding more access behind the scenes and in terms of product content.

Gangsta Rap:

Remember that black minstrels chose to be minstrels as well. Even though they probably couldn’t find other work in the entertainment industry during that period, they could’ve given up that dream and tried to make it elsewhere. Just like many of the stereotypical roles many blacks had to play in early Hollywood were by choice. In terms of threat, gangsta rappers, some literally, or the values they espouse, might be a physical threat to white and black people, I will concede. But they are not a threat in terms of racial hierarchy. They don’t challenge the notion of white superiority, they reinforce it. Just like the minstrels did, perhaps in different ways but a similar result. Both make white people, on a psychic level, IMO, perhaps feel better about themselves and less empathetic to issues of concern in the black community because that’s the way those people are. The ones who don’t fit that mold are seen as exceptions, or given the ‘compliment’ that they have ‘transcended’ race . The idea of diversity of opinion, behavior, lifestyle within the African-American community, not even to mention the various Caribbean and African communities is something are too overlooked.

It’s easy to say it’s up to individuals to decide how they will be perceived, but has never been that way for black people in this country. Even for some black people didn’t want to be associated with the group throughout US history, they were. Except for the ones that were light-skinned enough to ‘pass’ into white society and relinquished all or almost all ties to their former lives.

As for the impact on society, black thinkers like Thomas Sowell see the root of the anti-intellectualism they say is rampant in black youth culture to perhaps come from antebellum Southern culture. I’m not sure if I buy that, but I do think that many of the problems defined as black problems are tied to larger problems in society. To some extent, there are widespread problems, national problems that afflict all Americans. But there is a famous saying that when white people catch a cold, black people catch pneumonia. What does that mean? Black people are still in a less secure position, with less access to financial resources to weather bad turns in the economy, less access to health care (which affects the life expectancies of blacks, who pay their fare share into the Social Security system, but usually don’t reap the benefits because of shortened lifespan). Wealth a key determinant of position in American society, and whites have a wide advantage in terms of assets and equity in comparison to blacks. I don’t have the homeownership figures off hand, but there is a disparity. Even President Bush tried to do something about this. There is also a disparity in pay, though the income gap has shortened. Blacks still are unemployed at double the rates of whites. There is still residential segregation and perhaps because of that school segregation. In the South, de jure (by law) segregation was outlawed by Brown v. Board of Education and the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but its’ been harder to crack into de facto segregation (by custom). The achievement gap in education is often talked about as well. Not all of the problems affecting blacks in the US are racial, some have myriad causes, but I’m not going to put my head in the sand and declare race off the map for every issue due to the history of our country, nor shy away when racism is or might be a cause or condition of these disparities. Unlike you, I don’t have the luxury to just not ‘see’ race when I don’t want to or blithely declare what is or isn’t a racial issue.

'Black Problems':
There is a whole cottage industry on this subject. I’ve already mentioned CNN’s Black in America and there’s a part two coming this summer. Tavis Smiley hosts a Black State of the Union every February, and the Urban League among others release reports on the state of Black America on a yearly basis. I’m not going to get into that. I recommend that you check out magazines like Ebony, Essence, Jet, Vibe, The Source (even though both Vibe and The Source are music magazines they usually have some serious articles in them from time to time; the other magazines have a lot of fluff as well but do also have issues on politics, culture, etc.), or websites like blackamericaweb.com and the root.com for starters. Almost every major city usually has an African-American newspaper that might have some good articles and editorials as well. As for writers, you’ve got conservatives like John Mc****ter, Shelby Steele, Bill Cosby, Walt Williams, Armstrong Williams, Thomas Sowell, Star Parker, and Larry Elder to liberals like Cornel West, bell hooks, Ishmael Reed, Michael Eric Dyson, Ron Walters, Julianne Malveaux, etc. who have written countless articles on various racial issues over the years. I’m sure you can find a lot of their product online.

Bay:
Back to Bay again. I’ve told you more than once that this is not about Bay. Perhaps you’re just not reading my posts, or just reading them selectively. This is bigger than Michael Bay, but you insist on trying to make me out to be so irrational perhaps to lessen what I’m trying to say.

Last edited:
DarKush...whoa. Good read so far. Still gotta finish.

It's all good Sentinel. I just got a little riled up in the moment. I honestly don't feel like we're on different sides. Just different interpretations. In the grand scheme of it all, it looks like we're agreeing with each other. The minor details get a little lost in translation is all haha.

You keep using this term as if it's actually occurred. Unless you can prove that I've taken back ANY of my original points, then stop.
I responded to the rest of your post above for this part, see below...

I knew this would all lead to a big "you just don’t get it moment", but I’ll post this for anyone who cares... Crook this is what you posted

The association to african-americans isn't because of the illiteracy, it's the slang speak and behavior normally attributed to ghetto folk, whom are predominantly black.
So that we are clear.. You were explaining to a poster the reasoning for the link between the twins and African Americans. So in this instance, the use of the word ‘black’ was directly meant for African Americans.

I understand your point, however, I have and must point out the irony of a discussion about attempted racism by a characterization depiction, when in fact, the very ‘reality’ that African Americans are first related (by imagery) to this type of behavior and slang speak (as ghetto folk) is stereotypical and racist all on it’s own. It IS NOT A MATTER of how true it may be, it is a generalization with the assumption that it pertains to ALL ghetto folk. And a generalization of such magnitude creates it’s own racism, even if this is NATURAL it is still WRONG. Because it is also a fact that not ALL (maybe even not the majority) of socioeconomically impoverished people neither speak nor behave in that manner... much less all the black people in the ghetto.

To add to this, the behavior and slang speak was not attributed directly to black people, you initially attribute it to Ghetto people and then to blacks.. And again I ask, HOW is this immediate connection not MORE racist than the depiction of really ignorant characters that are neither black nor socioeconomically impoverished?

So that we are clear.. You were explaining to a poster the reasoning for the link between the twins and African Americans. So in this instance, the use of the word ‘black’ was directly meant for African Americans.
Loosely. But my answer remains the same. Talking "black", acting "black", is still very much a generalized term. I, again, point to my analogy of rap and tennis in association with black & white culture.

I understand your point, however, I have and must point out the irony of a discussion about attempted racism by a characterization depiction, when in fact, the very ‘reality’ that African Americans are first related (by imagery) to this type of behavior and slang speak (as ghetto folk) is stereotypical and racist all on it’s own. It IS NOT A MATTER of how true it may be, it is a generalization with the assumption that it pertains to ALL ghetto folk. And a generalization of such magnitude creates it’s own racism, even if this is NATURAL it is still WRONG.
You're preaching to the wrong crowd. As Da-Scribe noted, it's nice that you have such an idealized point of view on things. And don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly against it. But you are getting riled up over facts that you have plainly admitted do not complement your own values, despite being a reality. I don't even know what to say at this point. Multiple times I have stated this has never been about what's right or wrong. But what exists. And you've held it against me for regurgitating these facts, despite my claims of having no particular affiliation with such views.

I've asked another poster this before, but you do realize there is a difference between propagating stereotypes, and acknowledging them, yes?

Because it is also a fact that not ALL (maybe even not the majority) of socioeconomically impoverished people neither speak nor behave in that manner... much less all the black people in the ghetto.
And this is a statement that neither has the need to be pronounced nor repeated, as no one here has indicated otherwise.

To add to this, the behavior and slang speak was not attributed directly to black people, you initially attribute it to Ghetto people and then to blacks.
I almost feel as if you're trying to pin me to a corner here. What is so difficult about my statements that you have to read so much into them? The slang used by the twins are typically used by those in the ghetto (read: projects). People in the ghetto are minorities, but are predominantly black. Thus, the connection between slang and black people.

And again I ask, HOW is this immediate connection not MORE racist than the depiction of really ignorant characters that are neither black nor socioeconomically impoverished?
It's neither less or more racist because the caricatures in the movie are stemmed from the very same generalizations and stereotypes we have been talking about for the past 2 pages. Just because they have no color or economic status, it doesn't diminish the roots to which their personalities were based off of.

Last edited:
Ok... as stated, I'm not trying to ride you, but I am heading somewhere with all this. So, let me ask two final questions.

Was/is this statement made to illustrate this form of thinking as the only way of interpreting the characters?

Did the last part of this recent reply contend that it is not 'inherently' a racist connection (either with the word Ghetto, or the overall connection between blacks and these characters)?

just seen gran torino again

the blacks in that movie are handled very well and non stereotypically racist:whatever:

just seen gran torino again

the blacks in that movie are handled very well and non stereotypically racist:whatever:

Not to mention the Asians. That film is a nightmare in regards to socially acceptable portrayals of minorities. I swear, if any one other than Clint had made it the media hooplah would have been deafening.

Darth, I'll get to that...

But I would like to point out..."ghetto" is not a type of location in this movie, it's an attitude. It doesn't matter who lives in actual ghettos of the world in the context of the Twins? The point is the behavior that has been termed "ghetto", and not all blacks or latinos or whites or whatevers ACT this way.

Ok... as stated, I'm not trying to ride you, but I am heading somewhere with all this. So, let me ask two final questions.

Was/is this statement made to illustrate this form of thinking as the only way of interpreting the characters?
What, that the twins acted "black"? I would be hard-pressed to find an equally suitable, and alternative interpretation. Caricatures are what they are because of their overt nature. They're supposed to be generalized to a ridiculous degree. In this case, the black gangster persona ("let's just pop a cap in his ass, put him in da trunk and no one'll ever know!").

For example, I saw some people try to claim that the twins were rednecks. Now, that is something that would have to be explained to me...thoroughly.

Did the last part of this recent reply contend that it is not 'inherently' a racist connection (either with the word Ghetto, or the overall connection between blacks and these characters)?
I would say no, if only because the term "black", here, is used for the lack of a better description or title. I do not think there was ever an intent from Bay or the writers to corner an entire race into a distinguished microcosm.

What, that the twins acted "black"? I would be hard-pressed to find an equally suitable, and alternative interpretation. Caricatures are what they are because of their overt nature. They're supposed to be generalized to a ridiculous degree. In this case, the black gangster persona ("let's just pop a cap in his ass, put him in da trunk and no one'll ever know!").

For example, I saw some people try to claim that the twins were rednecks. Now, that is something that would have to be explained to me...thoroughly.
You are right, I am ‘zeroing’ in on a corner. I was just hammering out each issue one at a time. First there was a perceived maliciousness. Then there was a perceived argument of right or wrong. Now we are just left with my initial point. Your presumption that all people, first associate this characterization with black people and the reason why (the Ghetto connection).

This time you removed the African American from the statement but you still said...
The slang used by the twins are typically used by those in the ghetto (read: projects) . People in the ghetto are minorities, but are predominantly black.

For me, your reason why is still debatable but we can focus on this for now.

I disagree. I do not think the slang, nor the mannerisms are epressions typically used by those in the ghetto, much less ONLY the generalized ‘blacks’(a point you agree with so it should be easy to follow from here). We all look at things from our point of view, our experiences. Given that everyone’s experiences are not the same, then there is NO way the statement above can be submitted as hard core truth. Therefore, I think your statement that it is a fact (truth, not withstanding good or bad) that people typically associate this slang or behavior to ‘blacks’ is flawed and in a sense racist.

Why? It rests on the assumption that you know what everyone uses for association. That they all use the same line of thinking that you do. It is ‘colored’ (pardon my pun) by your personal point of view and it is done in an ‘exclusionist’ manner. It is a generalization that everyone (ALL people) think like you. When in fact, there are several types of images that would (and did) spring to mind when viewing/examining these elements. My first impression was that of a ‘Poser’ either White, or Asian (maybe this is why I didn’t take offense). I am sure I am not alone in this (Others have already told me their thoughts). People all over the world have different references to both the slang and the behavior characterized. When you made your statement you excluded other views and contend that your line of reasoning is the sole, logical line of reason. If it was your intent to DISCOUNT all the other differing initial reactions and points of view then it is a selfish, me-ist, and racist driven contention.

It is not malicious, it is not pernicious, you are not alone, but it is racist. It is natural. My own perception is a racist one. (Why did I not consider the African American people who act that way). It is a subtle, ‘subconscious’, racism. And I would even argue (as I have stated throughout EACH post) that it is MORE racist than the characterization itself.

I would say no, if only because the term "black", here, is used for the lack of a better description or title. I do not think there was ever an intent from Bay or the writers to corner an entire race into a distinguished microcosm.
I asked this question to show you that you are not conscious of the inherent nature of racism within us all. Our own inability to relate to other people’s perceptions will always make us naturally lop-sided or a little slanted. This is VERY normal, but it is also quite racist, even if it is only to a minimal degree, a normal, natural self-identifying value of ourselves and the world.. You keep saying that the term black is used only as a descriptive term, however, your original post distinctly identified ONLY African Americans. And even if this was not your intent, and the totality was meant only as a generalization, it is interesting that you chose term the Black over poor or socioeconomically deficient. Even in an attempt to be bias you must know that the term Black is more used to describe just African Americans than it is used as a descriptive nomenclature. And using the term 'black' alone even in generalization excludes the reader of imaging other possible descriptive terms like Posers, Gangsters, Wannabe’s, or Switcher’s which DO NOT refer to one race.

Last edited:
Darth, I'll get to that...

But I would like to point out..."ghetto" is not a type of location in this movie, it's an attitude. It doesn't matter who lives in actual ghettos of the world in the context of the Twins? The point is the behavior that has been termed "ghetto", and not all blacks or latinos or whites or whatevers ACT this way.
Well, at least I know one person is paying attention.

Thank you Guard.

I never intended for this to go this far, it is not that big of deal, but I have to make sure I explain thoroughly.

I disagree. I think stereotypes are wonderful. :) I think people who pretend to be offended or overly sensitive to stereotypes should be done away with and grow up.
I live in the UK, where the government has decided that if you are a straight white male then you are incapable of being offended, so don't call me 'overly sensitive'. I have my own qualms about political correctness.

Whether you like it or not, the ghetto culture as presented in films is attributed to black people. White people acting in this manner on films will have a comment made against them about 'trying to be black'.

And while it is true that some, or even many black people act that way, that still doesn't make it right.

When I saw the original Transformers for the first time, everybody in the audience laughed every time a black person opened his/her mouth.

People now expect black people to be wacky, uneducated and violent. Because the films tell them to believe that.

In Glenn's defense (Anthony Anderson from TF1) He was wacky, not uneducated and violent.

Then again, I may have misread your post, if so, my apologies.

People now expect black people to be wacky, uneducated and violent. Because the films tell them to believe that.

I don't expect that. Does the world at large expect that? I don't see the world demanding the "jolly black man" or "the violent black man" these days. I think you're generalizing.

As I said above, I cant believe this debate is still going on, I have seen the movie 3 times, every time with black members of the audience who were laughing at the Twins.

I dont think they are racist in the slightest and I thought they were great in the movie also. It was good to see young Autobots joining the fight, and they got brave when they needed to be, loved it when Mudflap burst out of Devastators eye.

The Guard,
If I’m a mad conspiracy theorist, you’re a Pollyanna who doesn’t believe that historical precedence has little bearing on contemporary events. I’m not a big believer in coincidence or that things just happen, because historically they didn’t just happen, not for the most part. Much like President Reagan said, “Trust but verify.”

That's laying it on a bit thick. I didn't call you a mad conspiracy theorist. I didn't even begin to imply it. I suggested that I don't believe that there are not a significant amount of positive images of black people in the world, and that I don't believe there's a social conspiracy to cover up positive images of black people. I'm not a big believer in coincidence, either. "Pollyanna", last I checked, doesn't mean unaware of history. It means hopeful and somewhat naiive. Sue for me believing that not every white person in this country wants to demonize black people and cover up their achievements and positive elements.

Just because I see some stories about blacks involved in crime does not lead me to believe that this image is forcing the world to believe that all blacks are criminals. Just because there are stories about blacks being uneducated does not lead me me to believe that this idea makes everyone think all blacks are ignorant. And just because some people follow blacks around a store does not mean that everyone behaves like this. There are extremes, and there are middle grounds.

Hollywood:
Racial exclusion was a deliberate, calculated act in Hollywood and much of the US for centuries. I think perhaps that the lack of access blacks and other minorities still have in Hollywood is a legacy of past discrimination.

Yes, racial exclusion and the limitation of roles available to blacks was a deliberate, calculated act in Hollywood and the US for a long time. I won't deny that. However, there is a difference between less blacks than whites in Hollywood being part of a general societal trend that has always existed that is slowly correcting itself, and the idea that Hollywood flat out tries to keep blacks out of major roles. I just don't see that, because again, I see blacks in major roles. Do I see a ton of young, up and comers getting shot after shot? No. I don't see many of those opportunities for many whites or other races, either.

Networks were formed, friendships made, traditions were born, and blacks and other minorities were at the margins of it. As you said, part of it is who you know, and if this social group has been formed already, with people who look like you and might share your worldview, you don’t want it disrupted by outsiders, particularly any that you fear might rock the boat, or might mention unseemly racial history or make you check yourself for telling an off-color (no pun intended) joke.

Today, Hollywood is controlled mainly by white people, from financial backing to scriptwriting, to casting, etc. The only black people that come close to being Hollywood moguls are Oprah and Tyler Perry. Oprah has made, or starred in a handful of movies at best-The Color Purple, Women of Brewster Place, Their Eyes Were Watching God, A Raisin in the Sun, and Beloved, and most of those were on TV. Perry is coming up and he’s expanding, and proving his profitability, not because of Hollywood’s welcoming arms, but in spite of them.

Oprah is considered one of the most powerful "moguls" there is. What Oprah has done seems to be what she chose to do. Ditto Tyler Perry.

So now we're talking about moguls. Fair enough. I know squat about producers, moguls, what have you, and frankly, I don't really care to. I certainly don't care if who puts up the money for a film is black or white. So I'm not going to comment beyond saying that maybe there is a legacy of keeping black people from being Hollywood moguls. I have no idea.

As for why young black stars don’t get the push, I agree with you that a lot of people don’t get a push. But the majority of people who do are white.

I think by this point, we've established that there is an inequality in Hollywood and society. Does continuing to make the same point elaborate on anything? No, it simply treads over what we've already established that we already agree on.

I don't like to deal in generalizations in these kinds of discussions. I like to deal situationally, because that strikes me as more logical than applying broad strokes. You named two white people when you made your point and said "Why don't young blacks get promoted like these two", so I answered your question. I could very well go "Hey, why do Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, and Jamie Foxx get more promotion than Gary Oldman does"?

Is that any kind of fair argument to have?

Also, you said that part of the problem might be a lack of black roles. What exactly is a black role? I think part of the problem is that casting directors, etc., actually do think black actors fit certain roles and might steer young talent into them.

What is a black role? A role written or filled for or by a black person. Isn't that what you think there is a lack of?

So casting directoers might steer young talent into them. But it's just like that? And the black actors have no choice in the matter? Interesting. There might be some steering, I'm sure there is, because it's Hollywood. I don't know, and I won't generalize. But I also think the problem may also be that the actual money in Hollywood is in those "certain roles" when other profitable roles aren't available. I have a hard time believing certain actors take "certain roles" just for love of their craft, you know? Ditto the white actors who do rom-coms or toilet humor comedies.

There has been more than one article written, usually in the black media, but occasionally in the larger white media, about the lack of roles for black actors. Then there is also the issue of the lack of quality roles.

Ok...

Halle was a visible selling point for the X-films, no disputing that. I said it first, remember? But why didn’t that translate over into a substantial role, since they were using her a lot for the marketing campaign?
Because a LOT of characters didn't get a substantial role in the X-Men saga, including key players like Cyclops and even Jean Grey until the end of the second movie and the third film. The writers weren't that interested in Storm, they were interested in Wolverine.

Also, Halle Berry wasn't exactly a superstar until about the time X2 preproduction began and X3 began production. She had the star power to ask for a slightly larger role in X2, and they gave her a bit more to do as a result, and then in X3, they gave her a much bigger role in some respects. But notice, even in her larger role, Storm wasn't a huge component of the film or the franchise? Why? Because the producers and creators wanted Logan at the forefront. Or I suspect she would have been killed off and Cyclops would have taken the leadership/larger role. Or if they still wanted Cyclops dead, someone else would have the leader.

IMO I think a lot of people write what they know and there is still an issue of whites identifying enough with blacks as human beings to make them three-dimensional characters in far too many mass media products. So, they might fall back on racial stereotypes, their idea of what a black person might be without really doing the research to find out how black people are. Or they just leave the black character woefully underdeveloped, or they might be so goody goody that it’s unrealistic, perhaps in a paternalistic desire to not offend black people or to tout their liberal sensibilities.

I'm sure there are a lot of people like that. But, and here I go again, there are a lot of writers who write ALL characters like that. Because that's what tends to get them more screenwriting work.

I’m not opposed to blacks being bad guys or having shades of gray. Or they could be so cold, either hardass or badass that it they have no inner life but whatever the role requires. Are there some people like that in real life? Sure, but in Hollywood how many black characters are shunted into this type of two-dimensional roles? Roles where you don’t really identify with them, they don’t change, they don’t have sex, they are there to support white characters or make white characters laugh, or they are there to be saved by white characters, and occasionally chastised by white characters.

The quality of characterization in general is, and has been for a long, long time, subpar. How many white characters have been shunted into two dimensional roles?

But, since it seems to be about about equality, and not quality.

Let's hear a number.

What percentage of lead roles and good characters would you be happy with if they were black, or given to black actors?

Comics:
On the surface there is a logic in what you say about the bigger projects being put out first. However, the evidence doesn’t bear that out necessarily. Along with some of the heavy hitters that have come out, you’ve had four Alan Moore films, Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, two Hellboy films, 300, Sin City, The Spirit, The Shadow, The Phantom, Ghost World, three Blade films, Steel, Tank Girl, Barb Wire, American Splendor, Elektra, etc. that were not universally known, perhaps Watchmen, even among the genre community.

You seem to have omitted the part where I said "Either it was well known, or there was passion behind it that got the movie made".

Because we all know Alan Moore's movies weren't made because they combine well known historical elements with interesting stories and characters...it's because the characters aren't black. ROAD TO PERDITION isn't an award winning comic that was backed by Tom Hanks and Sam Mendes, it was a movie about white people. The Phantom and The Shadow, hell, those aren't classic pulp characters, they were just non blacks, so producers figured they could make a few bucks. STEEL wasn't Shaq's baby at all, BARB WIRE wasn't just a vehicle for Pam Anderson, and AMERICAN SPLENDOR and GHOST WORLD aren't at all well written comics or concepts that are well known in literary circles. TANK GIRL wasn't the planets realigning, and WATCHMEN isn't regarded as one of the greatest graphic novels of all time in the middle of a superhero craze.

Point being, I have a decent reason every single of those projects was made before Black Lightning or Luke Cage or Black Panther or another Spawn movie, and it doesn't involve "they aren't black".

Last edited:
Also, heroes like Ghost Rider, Spawn, Daredevil, The Punisher, and even Iron Man weren’t well known in the mainstream press.

I don't recall saying the characters were well known in the mainstream. I recall pointing out the obvious: Ghost Rider is better known than most black characters. The Punisher is better known than most black characters. Daredevil is better known than most black characters. And so on, and so forth.

But you're right, it's not that they are classic, better known characters than Black Lightning, the third or fourth string Green Lantern, and Luke Cage...it's that they're not black.

But perhaps Marvel and DC are concerned about the marketability of black characters and are reluctant to spend a lot of money on a ‘risky’ proposition.

Marvel is developing a lot of projects. Some of them are going to come first because there's more demand for them, and more passion behind them. THE AVENGERS and CAPTAIN AMERICA are going to come before BLACK PANTHER and LUKE CAGE unless someone REALLY gets behind those projects. It's as simple as that. No one with any clout is clamoring to make BLACK PANTHER, LUKE CAGE, THE FALCON, BLACK LIGHTING, or any number of other black hero films right now. Or we'd have heard about it in this age of "every comic book rumor is reported", don't you think?

As for the comics industry itself, almost every black guy I know knows something about comic book heroes, plays superhero video games, and at least has seen some movies. Black people also go to comic book stores and there is a black comic fan online community. The majors have largely ignored this community and failed to build significant inroads into the black community and others by actually developing interesting black and other non-white characters.

Because obviously they're not "comic fans", they're "black comic fans". Well, that's pretty telling. So do you think that studios should bend over backward to satisfy a subset of a subset of the population? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

People like reading about people who look like them, people perhaps they feel they can identify with the most, and there is the idea that comics might serve as a power fantasy. Terry McMillan once talked about a perception among the publishing industry that black people don’t read, so that 'justified' them not trying to cultivate this audience. Until her book Waiting to Exhale showed them that black people do read, and now you have all types of books written by black authors. Perhaps if comic companies had done more to cultivate black readership or do more now to, they might actually get more black readers.

Perhaps if comic companies garnered more readership PERIOD, the comic book films wouldn't have to be aimed at the mainstream public, and we'd get more, better and more varied comic book films, period, regardless of race. But that's not the reality of things.

If BLACK PANTHER, a fairly obscure character to the general public, is ever made, and it fails miserably, will you condemn studios for failing to continue to build inroads into the black comic book community if no other studio makes a big budget movie based on a black superhero for a while?

Studios make movies to make money by selling to tickets to the general public, not to satisfy a particular race of people or to check off a list of characters that deserve movies. And movies get made because someone wants to make them and does the work to get them made.

Most comic companies are run by white men and largely staffed by white men and I think there is that problem with identification again. Or a feeling that blacks are too much the other, too inscrutable to really get a grasp on. Also, they largely write for their white male audience. Why aren’t many of these black characters, such as Cyborg and John Stewart all that interesting? Because they mostly haven’t been developed well.

They're relatively interesting, and they have been developed to a point. Cyborg is a cyborg, which, at heart, is not nearly as interesting or epic as say, Batman or Superman. But compared to the flagship character, at least in Stewart's case, they've gotten less time to be developed because a lot of them are not hugely important characters and they haven't been around as long.
[Perhaps many were created with the best of intentions, but after the diversity point was scored, they were left idle to twist in the wind, largely without development to make them interesting. Hal Jordan wasn’t all that interesting either until Geoff Johns came along.
I don't know if that's why they lack visibility. I suspect it has to do with the fact that they're mostly gimmicks, and even recent developments have felt gimmicky and forced. Again, individual situations. Maybe to you Hal Jordan wasn't interesting until Johns. To most GL fans? That's just not the case at all.
I wish Johns would give a little more attention to Stewart. Then again, Johns doesn’t have a good record in that regard. He was one of the writers for Blade the series where Blade took a backseat to Krista and Marcus, two white characters. Many fans of that show, and I still liked the show even though I disliked what they did to Blade, would agree that Blade was the least interesting thing about the series.
Johns doesn't have a good track record for developing anyone but his main characters. He never has. He develops a few main characters, and the supporting cast is just that, a supporting cast.

Denzel has expressed interest in doing a hero movie, but no one has seemed that interested in following up with him.
Not true. He has been talked to about a number of black superheroes over the years, and has chosen not to commit himself to it.
From what I’ve read, Wesley Snipes was actually more interested in doing Black Panther, but he couldn’t get the project off the ground. He switched to Blade instead. But even a couple years ago, I heard about Snipes still trying to get that BP project off the ground.
A comic book movie in development hell during a period when comic book movies weren't the hot new thing? Why, that's never happened before. :)
No, BLACK PANTHER hasn't gotten made. I have a massive list of comic book films that haven't been made, or that have taken forever to get made. Marvel is still working on a Black Panther concept, as well as almost every other remotely marketable hero they have. Black Panther is not a priority for Marvel right now, not because he's black, but because Marvel has their more recognizeable and likely more deserving icons to make movies of first, and they have relatively limited means to do so.

Remember that black minstrels chose to be minstrels as well.

And a baseball player chooses to be a baseball player. Your point?

You just seem to want to ignore the major differences between minstrel culture and gangster rap culture, which I find interesting. Yes or no, are there major differences between them?

But they are not a threat in terms of racial hierarchy. They don’t challenge the notion of white superiority, they reinforce it.

That depends. Some of it does, some of it doesn't. Again, you're generalizing.

Just like the minstrels did, perhaps in different ways but a similar result. Both make white people, on a psychic level, IMO, perhaps feel better about themselves and less empathetic to issues of concern in the black community because that’s the way those people are.

The ones who don’t fit that mold are seen as exceptions, or given the ‘compliment’ that they have ‘transcended’ race .

What is this, 1950?

The idea of diversity of opinion, behavior, lifestyle within the African-American community, not even to mention the various Caribbean and African communities is something are too overlooked.

"Too overlooked" is an opinion. I don't study spores molds and fungi, but somewhere, someone does, and probably values these things, and feels THAT is overlooked. From what I can see, what you speak of is simply overlooked by mainstream culture, which tends to overlook the diversity of opinion and lifestyle, period.

It’s easy to say it’s up to individuals to decide how they will be perceived, but has never been that way for black people in this country.

A person cannot control, with any realistic extent, how all people will perceive them. You can control how you perceive yourself to a point, and you can often control what you present to the world, but perception is just not as simple as "I want you to see me this way, so you will".
Even for some black people didn’t want to be associated with the group throughout US history, they were.
You can say this about any group in history.
Except for the ones that were light-skinned enough to ‘pass’ into white society and relinquished all or almost all ties to their former lives.

You can say this about any individual who is willing to conform to escape prejudice.

As for the impact on society, black thinkers like Thomas Sowell see the root of the anti-intellectualism they say is rampant in black youth culture to perhaps come from antebellum Southern culture. I’m not sure if I buy that, but I do think that many of the problems defined as black problems are tied to larger problems in society. To some extent, there are widespread problems, national problems that afflict all Americans. But there is a famous saying that when white people catch a cold, black people catch pneumonia. What does that mean? Black people are still in a less secure position, with less access to financial resources to weather bad turns in the economy, less access to health care (which affects the life expectancies of blacks, who pay their fare share into the Social Security system, but usually don’t reap the benefits because of shortened lifespan). Wealth a key determinant of position in American society, and whites have a wide advantage in terms of assets and equity in comparison to blacks. I don’t have the homeownership figures off hand, but there is a disparity. Even President Bush tried to do something about this. There is also a disparity in pay, though the income gap has shortened. Blacks still are unemployed at double the rates of whites. There is still residential segregation and perhaps because of that school segregation. In the South, de jure (by law) segregation was outlawed by Brown v. Board of Education and the Civil Rights Act of 1964, but its’ been harder to crack into de facto segregation (by custom). The achievement gap in education is often talked about as well. Not all of the problems affecting blacks in the US are racial, some have myriad causes, but I’m not going to put my head in the sand and declare race off the map for every issue due to the history of our country, nor shy away when racism is or might be a cause or condition of these disparities. Unlike you, I don’t have the luxury to just not ‘see’ race when I don’t want to or blithely declare what is or isn’t a racial issue.

I haven't declared race is off the map. I'm pointing out that it is not the primary determinant of blacks position in society. Unless of course, you happen to be...racist.

So your point is that we have a long way to go to reach equality, and that the events of the past still affect what's happening today, and that blacks face adversity. I know that. I went to elementary school, high school, and college, and I've seen TV and read books, and I happen to live in this world as well, believe it or not.

I see skin color, race and ethnicity, and cultural differences. I see gender, and sex. I see disability. I see homosexuality, and I see different levels of intelligence, talent, and physical ability. I see religion, and different moral standards. And as such, I recognize that each of these is probably going to be mocked, oppressed, or generally disrespected in some fashion by someone, or will face some kind of adversity. What I don't do is put everyone with any element of these "differences" into a little box and separate them from the rest of the human race. I don't define people by these elements.
I have not declared anything isn't a racial issue. I'm pointing out that a LOT of people face the same kinds of issues, period.

Bay:
Back to Bay again. I’ve told you more than once that this is not about Bay. Perhaps you’re just not reading my posts, or just reading them selectively. This is bigger than Michael Bay, but you insist on trying to make me out to be so irrational perhaps to lessen what I’m trying to say.
Obvious it is about Bay, because to directly reference his lack of sensitivity.

I'm tired of generalizations. They don't prove or expound on anything except that you're upset that not all black people have the same opportunities as some nonblacks.

You know what, you're right though, it isn't fair. Life doesn't tend to be fair. You don't always get to be what you want to be or do what you want to do simply because you have the talent or drive. And sometimes you do.

But all the problems you mention, whether blacks experience them or not, they are issues faced by MANY, MANY people in this world, and it goes wayyy beyond just race.

Last edited:
Julie White on TF2 "robo-racism" (AKA Twins controversy)

What do you make of Transformers' robot-racism controversy?

I'm sure Michael wasn't trying to offend anyone. Kevin Dunn and I asked him about it and he said, "Well, it tested great with the kids." I mean, those movies are tested to within an inch of their lives. I don't know how that ... the intention certainly was not to be offensive. His intention was to be antic and amusing and, I think, like, street and cool. But those of us who are older were like, "What the hell is that!?" I don't know. But at least he didn't kill them off. In the last movie, the one black transformer seemed to be killed really early on, making black transformers seem like the crimson in the red shirts. So these guys, they survived and they're real heroes. I loved them in the script. And truthfully, in the movie, you can't really hear them. And the guy who did the voice was the voice of SpongeBob SquarePants. You couldn't know that was going to happen! I can't be the apologist for that big, damn movie. I had nothing to do with that.

- New York Magazine

Haha, Julie is nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"