The WB is No More!!

Raku,
I think they answer the question in the article:

The exec pointed out that in 60% of the country, current UPN viewers will have to migrate to their market's former WB station to find the CW; the same is true in 28% of the nation for WB auds, who now will have to seek out the former UPN station in their hometown. And in several markets, the CW will air on a station that was neither a WB nor a UPN affil.

UPN shows stand to loose the most as 60% of their viewers will not see their show on the same channel, while WB shows for the most part stay where they are.

RakuMon said:
Why do you think SV was such a non-factor at The CW's TCA presentations?
Perhaps they felt w/ all the Superman press right now, they didn't have to make a big deal about it? I dunno.

I DO know that there won't be any SV footage included in their grand finale bash to air in Sept. Just so everybody knows, it's not because they didn't *want* it. Apparently, the rights were either too expensive, or weren't granted to begin with. Guaranteed, people are going to make a big deal about this next month. I'm just letting folks know NOW. Hopefully, foreknowledge is a good thing.

The show already has an established fanbase and viewership. Regardless how little they promote it, the people will still watch. So its really a non-issue at this point.

Smallville had never really been a major part of the TCA tours until last year, and that had a lot to do with the 100th episode hype, among other things.

AgentPat said:
I DO know that there won't be any SV footage included in their grand finale bash to air in Sept. Just so everybody knows, it's not because they didn't *want* it. Apparently, the rights were either too expensive, or weren't granted to begin with. Guaranteed, people are going to make a big deal about this next month. I'm just letting folks know NOW. Hopefully, foreknowledge is a good thing.
I'm confused by this, Pat. Are you saying that the CW will be having a big televised event and SV won't be a part of it? That seems sort of outrageous.

James said:
Smallville had never really been a major part of the TCA tours until last year, and that had a lot to do with the 100th episode hype, among other things.
Didn't you say that Tom has been there for the past 3 years in a row? I thought I read that..

ETA: Btw, James.. what's up with TW.O? I haven't been able to pull it up since late last night. Are we working on something? :)

Serene said:
I'm confused by this, Pat. Are you saying that the CW will be having a big televised event and SV won't be a part of it? That seems sort of outrageous.

WB is going to play the Pilots from some of it's more pivotal shows on it's last night of broadcast starting at 7 I think. SV isn't on the list because it's moving to CW.

I think the list was:
Buffy
Angel
Dawson

Serene said:
Didn't you say that Tom has been there for the past 3 years in a row? I thought I read that..
No, I said that if he'd shown up for this one it would have been his third TCA in a row. They have two per year, the Summer and Winter Tour. Tom was at both last season, mainly to promote the 100th episode. And himself. :p

Btw, James.. what's up with TW.O? I haven't been able to pull it up since late last night.
Hmmm, works fine for me. I haven't been doing anything. Strange ...

NHawk19 said:
WB is going to play the Pilots from some of it's more pivotal shows on it's last night of broadcast starting at 7 I think. SV isn't on the list because it's moving to CW.

I think the list was:
Buffy
Angel
Dawson

Ah.. so basically just the shows that are no longer airing. Thanks NH.

James said:
Hmmm, works fine for me. I haven't been doing anything. Strange ...
Suuure.. now that I complained to you about it, it's working just fine. :rolleyes:

Serene said:
Suuure.. now that I complained to you about it, it's working just fine. :rolleyes:
I think I know what happened. Can you PM the error message you were getting to me?

anybody have that link that tells you what channel in your area is gonna be the CW? I thought it was in this thread but cant seem to locate it...

Serene said:
Basically, yes. Hard to believe, huh? They *might* get a few clips past the censors, I dunno, but here's the story...

Daily Variety
6/29/06

WB revisits glory days
Net plans to go out with a bang
By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER, JOSEF ADALIAN

The Frog is planning one last hurrah before it croaks.

The WB will sign off the air forever on Sunday, Sept. 17, by rebroadcasting the pilot episodes of several of its signature skeins, including "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer," "Felicity" and "Dawson's Creek."

Landing the rights to air the series required outgoing WB supremo Garth Ancier and the net's remaining execs to conduct a delicate licensing ballet with the outside studios that own those skeins, and cablers that now play home to the shows.

In addition to the pilots, Frog plans to fill its final night with a bevy of classic promos and image campaigns from the WB's 11-year history. There'll also be a final tribute reel featuring the hundreds of thesps who've appeared on WB skeins over the years.

Such a farewell is unprecedented: When one-time fourth network DuMont signed off the air for the last time in 1956, it did so with little fanfare -- and with very little coverage.

"How do you end a network?" Ancier asked rhetorically. "This will be an homage to our shows."

The planning process began with a group of remaining WB execs, who made a list of the net's most memorable series.

"We kept coming back to the same significant shows," Ancier said. "Certainly 'Dawson's' and 'Buffy' were no-brainers."

Because the Frog's final bow will take place on a Sunday -- a night on which the WB airs programming from 5-10 p.m. -- net's blowout bye-bye will be a full five hours.

Night will kick off at 5 p.m. with the J.J. Abrams- and Matt Reeves-created "Felicity," followed at 6 by Joss Whedon and David Greenwalt's "Angel." The two-hour pilot to Whedon's "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" will run in primetime from 7-9 p.m.

Appropriately, "Dawson's Creek" -- the Kevin Williamson teen sudser that put the WB on the map -- will be the final show to air on the Frog, running from 9-10 p.m.

Some shows that would seem a natural for the last night -- such as "Smallville" and "7th Heaven" -- won't appear because they'll live on at the merged WB-UPN, which is called the CW.

Rights to air the series one last time was a sticky process. Most of the shows are airing in off-net syndication on cable, and navigating those license holders was a bit more complicated.

"Every cable network that runs these shows had to give the rights to us," Ancier said. "And they all wanted their own pound of flesh."

That meant breaking the taboo of promoting cablers on the network's air with date-and-time promos. (Usually broadcast networks allow only cable ads that tell viewers to "check local listings" to find the show).

But under this unusual circumstance -- and with the WB folding anyway -- the Frog and its departing affiliates were willing to let it slide.

The shows' creators, producers and studios were game for the idea. But because all of the shows come from outside the WB's Warner Bros. parent, Ancier and company had to find a way to make it attractive for those outside studios to license the shows for a night.

Solution: All the studios involved will get a free on-air promo of the DVD collections of their respective skeins.

Beyond that, Sony Pictures TV (which produced "Dawson's Creek"), Touchstone/Imagine ("Felicity") and 20th Century Fox TV ("Buffy" and "Angel") waived the usual license fee; the WB was required only to pay the necessary residuals.

"Everyone was great about it," Ancier said. "No one was making money off of this."

Three of the five hours to air on the WB's last night ("Buffy," "Angel") will be from 20th Century Fox TV -- ironic, as the WB and 20th had more than a few financial run-ins.

In particular, the night reps a homecoming for "Buffy," which moved to UPN after the studio and Frog couldn't come to terms on a license renewal. It's the first time the show has returned to the WB since leaving for the rival netlet in 2001.

There had been speculation the WB would sign off at the end of August. But the new CW net -- which is replacing the WB in many markets --isn't set to begin broadcasting until Monday, Sept. 18.

Across town, UPN has not yet announced how, or if, it will mark its own demise, which takes place the previous Friday, Sept. 15. One possibility: The netlet may simply shut off the lights after its usual weekly airing of "Friday Night Smackdown."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117946199

But Pat, the article even gives the reason as to why Smallville and Seventh aren't part of the special Pilot marathon. In a sense it's WB sendoff to some of its most definitive shows. SV and 7th Heaven are still on the air. That's why they won't be part of the marathon. I don't see this as a slight to SV at all. In fact, once it migrates to CW, they can show any SV episode they want. The point of the V article is that reattaining the rights to shows such as Buffy and Dawson were tricky.

RakuMon said:
But Pat, the article even gives the reason as to why Smallville and Seventh aren't part of the special Pilot marathon. In a sense it's WB sendoff to some of its most definitive shows. SV and 7th Heaven are still on the air. That's why they won't be part of the marathon. I don't see this as a slight to SV at all. In fact, once it migrates to CW, they can show any SV episode they want. The point of the V article is that reattaining the rights to shows such as Buffy and Dawson were tricky.
:confused:

I didn't say it was a slight. I just posted *about* it...

AgentPat said:
I DO know that there won't be any SV footage included in their grand finale bash to air in Sept. Just so everybody knows, it's not because they didn't *want* it. Apparently, the rights were either too expensive, or weren't granted to begin with.

I thought you were saying, in your original post, that you didn't understand why Smallville wasn't going to be part of the WB's grand send-off in September.

I was just clarifying that the reason SV isn't part of the send-off is because WB is just celebrating many of the shows that have gone off the air. Because SV will be on CW, they didn't need to include it in the Pilot marathon. That's all.

RakuMon said:
I thought you were saying, in your original post, that you didn't understand why Smallville wasn't going to be part of the WB's grand send-off in September.
Nuuuu. I assumed it would be questioned at some point in the future, which is why I brought it up to clarify the situation in the first place. *I'M* not the one in the dark here. At least I didn't think I was? :p

The Incredible Hulk said:
anybody have that link that tells you what channel in your area is gonna be the CW? I thought it was in this thread but cant seem to locate it...

You probably have this info now, but just in case....there is a link on the CW website.

www.cwtv.com (main page)

(station affiliate link) http://www.cwtv.com/cw-affiliates.html

Hope that helped.:)

Too funny....

I was having problems with my flash player so I got this error when I tried to access the CWTV.com web site...

tsr_er01a.jpg

It looks like Tom is looking at me with disappointment...

:D

Too cute that they're using tom's face in their error images.

ETA: Uhm.. I'm still getting the error even after installnig the latest version of Flash Player.

*sigh*

triplet said:
Too funny....

I was having problems with my flash player so I got this error when I tried to access the CWTV.com web site...

tsr_er01a.jpg

It looks like Tom is looking at me with disappointment...

:D

Too cute that they're using tom's face in their error images.

ETA: Uhm.. I'm still getting the error even after installnig the latest version of Flash Player.

*sigh*

Sorry about that!

But it's really cute to get Tom's face in ANY message. :D

so when does this switch hapen anyways?...

Serene said:
Both of those links work for me.

Hmm... still not working for me.

anyone have any suggestions, let me know.

CW on MySpace.

From Variety:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117949375?categoryId=18&cs=1

Inside Move: CW marks a MySpace page
Netco pacts with net for community hub

By JOSEF ADALIAN

MySpace may be owned by News Corp., but when it comes to TV, the Netco is clearly agnostic.

Web phenom has pacted with CBS-Warner Bros. joint venture the CW, inking a deal to host an interactive community hub for the network. Weblet becomes the first broadcast net to create its own MySpace profile page, which launches today.

CW is also mounting a battle of the bands via its MySpace page starting Sept. 11. Winner get the chance to appear on the net's "Supernatural."

In addition to the hub -- which will feature a multichannel video player, star profiles and downloads -- the CW has also pacted with MySpace to take control of the MySpace homepage on Sept. 20, the day the net launches. Web page's so-called skin will be made over in CW green, with prominent mentions of the debut that night of "America's Next Top Model."

Deal was a cash transaction, though CW reps would not comment on the financial terms of the agreement.

CW partnership with MySpace comes just days before the launch of MyNetworkTV, the weblet formed by News Corp. in response to the CW's formation. MyNet hasn't announced any arrangements with MySpace.

News Corp.'s Fox doesn't have a profile page on MySpace, a rep for the net said. However, several Fox and FX skeins are being streamed on MySpace via a partnership with Burger King.

Date in print: Fri., Sep. 1, 2006, Los Angeles

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"