The Wizard of Oz (Remake)

I enthusiastically encourage you to do so, Tempest. Just keep in mind, Baum wrote his books to kids, and for kids. So yes, there are violent moments, but it is definitely written in a tone and with a vocabulary for children. In other words, you're gonna find yourself skimming quite a bit. It's no LOTR.

However, I think an adult imagination could do wonders for this book. You've got to gauge its potential while you read it. Wait to you get to the four of them individually 'meeting' the Wizard for the first time. Holy crap, its so cool and different from the movie. In the hands of the right director and studio, those scenes alone would be just amazing on a movie screen.

Oz done right, and Peter and Wendy done right, and I can die a happy movie/children's book fan. Didja ever read Peter and Wendy? Peter Pan was one sadistic, murderous SOB. But that's for another thread.

-- END!

Thought the new Peter Pan movie captured the essence of the Peter Pan books?

Unless Peter and Wendy is a different take on it?

---------------------

I have heard that Neverending Story is different as well, that they only covered half of the book or something like that?

Yeah, Neverending Story is a book. Found it on amazon. The film- or so I hear from imdb- is only half of the book.

The Neverending Story is a book? :huh: I want it. :csad:

I read it back when the movie first came out. None of the cool stuff from the movie really happened while I read it, though. :oldrazz:

If that was the case EVERYONE would have a copy. :up:

I read it back when the movie first came out. None of the cool stuff from the movie really happened while I read it, though. :oldrazz:

Yeah, I started reading it back in 1986 and believe me, the title doesn't lie... 20+ years later and I'm still not done. It truely is - The Neverending Story. :csad:

the first one wasnt that great anyway, IMO.

I have no problem with another Wizard of Oz. Hell the Judy Garland version was a remake as well, so I see no room to complain.

this is based on action figures,mere revisions of the characters.this movie is a terrible waste.why not just remake the dam thing.this is no remake its a whole new universe where the munchkins whip dorothy with a riding crop and the lion,who because hes a pasifist is tortured and stabbed and on the brink of death.the scare crow and tin man are just sentrys.this shouldent happen,its a mistake.no parent groups,child literature groups,christian,or even base line kid related groups will let this thing go without a fight and by the end of the publicity no one will care.you still wont have the major audience for the film.....kids.this is going to be lair of the white worm with toto as a mutant reptilian beast.how will they even fit it togeather for fuhk sakes.this is the worst idea to come out of wb.

I have no desire to see the Wizard of Oz remade.

McFarlane Not As Involved With New Wizard of Oz As Previously Reported

The reaction was rather divided yesterday when we reported Todd McFarlane was working on a "revisionist" take on The Wizard of Oz. McFarlane critics: breathe a sigh of relief (and McFarlane fans, furrow your brows). As it turns out, McFarlane has less involvement with the project than previously thought.

Project screenwriter Josh Olson made a comment on the Publisher's Weekly blog (which we've since confirmed to be authentic), clarifying his role and McFarlane's role for the movie:

"While it was Todd's idea to bring back Oz, and that idea sparked this whole process, I've never met him, never heard his take, and am not writing this script with anyone else. I love the Baum books, and leapt at the chance to bring those amazing stories and characters to a new audience.

The story I pitched to Warners - and that they hired me to write - is, I believe, faithful to the spirit and tone of those amazing books. I think even Todd would be happy to tell you, this movie has no connection whatsoever to those action figures, and when I say it will be darker, do not expect it to go beyond Harry Potter dark.

You'll be seeing many of your favorite characters return from the classic film, as well as meeting loads of Baum's other great characters. While I've created my own distinct plot, it's all built around Baum's characters, Baum's world, and Baum's vision. I think Oz fans will recognize my love for the source material, and will be very happy with the finished result."

No director or release date has been announced for the project, which will be released through a partnership between Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures.

McFarlane not being as involved as thought could only mean good things. They guy isn't a filmmaker. They're probably just giving him a paycheck for basing the movie off of his figures.

The story I pitched to Warners - and that they hired me to write - is, I believe, faithful to the spirit and tone of those amazing books. I think even Todd would be happy to tell you, this movie has no connection whatsoever to those action figures, and when I say it will be darker, do not expect it to go beyond Harry Potter dark.

I posted this quote above and yet we got beyond absurd remarks from Ang-Hulk claiming the film to be about the toys. :whatever:

But, once again- so that EVERYONE can read it:

"this movie has no connection whatsoever to those action figures"

So can people just stop talking about bondage Dorothy and all that ****- this isn't based on that AT ALL!!!!!! God it's annoying still hearing that, especially after I posted a more detailed article about THIS point on the previous page.

this is based on action figures,mere revisions of the characters.this movie is a terrible waste.why not just remake the dam thing.this is no remake its a whole new universe where the munchkins whip dorothy with a riding crop and the lion,who because hes a pasifist is tortured and stabbed and on the brink of death.the scare crow and tin man are just sentrys.this shouldent happen,its a mistake.no parent groups,child literature groups,christian,or even base line kid related groups will let this thing go without a fight and by the end of the publicity no one will care.you still wont have the major audience for the film.....kids.this is going to be lair of the white worm with toto as a mutant reptilian beast.how will they even fit it togeather for fuhk sakes.this is the worst idea to come out of wb.

So Spawn and Oz..... How will this work out??

it wont.its a terrible idea.

McFarlane Not As Involved With New Wizard of Oz As Previously Reported

The reaction was rather divided yesterday when we reported Todd McFarlane was working on a "revisionist" take on The Wizard of Oz. McFarlane critics: breathe a sigh of relief (and McFarlane fans, furrow your brows). As it turns out, McFarlane has less involvement with the project than previously thought.

Project screenwriter Josh Olson made a comment on the Publisher's Weekly blog (which we've since confirmed to be authentic), clarifying his role and McFarlane's role for the movie:

"While it was Todd's idea to bring back Oz, and that idea sparked this whole process, I've never met him, never heard his take, and am not writing this script with anyone else. I love the Baum books, and leapt at the chance to bring those amazing stories and characters to a new audience.

You'll be seeing many of your favorite characters return from the classic film, as well as meeting loads of Baum's other great characters. While I've created my own distinct plot, it's all built around Baum's characters, Baum's world, and Baum's vision. I think Oz fans will recognize my love for the source material, and will be very happy with the finished result."

No director or release date has been announced for the project, which will be released through a partnership between Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures.

McFarlane not being as involved as thought could only mean good things. They guy isn't a filmmaker. They're probably just giving him a paycheck for basing the movie off of his figures.

He gave WB the idea to do a PG13 take. So they can have another franchise once Harry Potter winds down. There is twice as many Oz books by Baum than Harry Potter books, then even more by other authors. Plenty of material that won't be marketed toward "kids".

Another quote by Olson from the article I posted on the previous page:

"I saw those toys, and Dorothy as some bondage queen isn’t something I want to do," Olson told Daily Variety.

I posted this quote above and yet we got beyond absurd remarks from Ang-Hulk claiming the film to be about the toys. :whatever:

But, once again- so that EVERYONE can read it:

"this movie has no connection whatsoever to those action figures"

So can people just stop talking about bondage Dorothy and all that ****- this isn't based on that AT ALL!!!!!! God it's annoying still hearing that, especially after I posted a more detailed article about THIS point on the previous page.

Yeah, they're taking his idea for darker Wizard of Oz, which he expressed through his figures, and making a movie that's a lot like that but not as dark. But still, it's not separate enough to avoid a lawsuit, so they're giving him some sort of honorary title and a paycheck.

Actually Baum's books were MUCH darker than the film. They don't need to pay McFarlene for a dark Oz, since Baum's book was MUCH darker than the original film's Oz.

McFarlene was the one who, I believe, pitched the idea of a darker Oz film. Olson and McFarlene have been working together to have it be a blending of the two while not taking it to the toy's extreme and rather having it be more HP dark. All taken from the article I posted on the previous page. So, McFarlene IS involved with this vision- they're just not taking it anywhere close to the darkness of the toys.

So the movie does have a connection to the figures, but it's going to be toned down? Because that's what it sounds like.

Haven't said to what extent, other than the film will have nothing or very very little to do with the toys. McFarlene, however, is working with the creative team behind the film so he is involved in the film making process thus him getting credit.

They can have a dark film without McFarlene because Baum's books make the original film look tame and very G rated. In other word's if it was just darker Oz, they would just be following Baum's books. So, meeting of the two worlds at a PG level- meaning ALOT of the toy concepts will probably be rendered useless.

At the end of the day it's Olson's vision and movie, while McFarlene is just involved with the creative team and process.

Personally I see something along the lines of Burton's "Planet of the Apes" or "Wily Wonka".

Meaning we'll probably see a meeting of the two worlds and aspects of it will remind us of McFarlene's "style"- but not his Oz toys since they will be MUCH lighter in tone and the changes won't be as extreme as to turn toto into a warthog..

i guess this is what we have to look forward to

07_08_2003_cowardly_lion.jpg

07_08_2003_dorothy.jpg

07_08_2003_scarecrow.jpg

07_08_2003_tin_man.jpg

07_08_2003_toto.jpg

40218.jpg

First off those toys rock! I guess it's my love for horror that I can appreciate his twisted versions of Wizard of OZ, famous Fairy Tale/Nursery rhyme characters and his next set is christmas ones. This isn't the vision for the movie, if it were im almost 100% positive he would have mentioned that it's going to be influenced/based off of his toy line. If people would read others posts instead of just posting, they would see that a number of people have read the book and it is waaaay darker than the original film.

^Well he posted those pics before there was confirmation that it's not based off the toy line

As I said before though, Im sure Mcfarlance would have mentioned those figures in his announcement if they were in fact going to be the basis for the movie. He didn't so I figured it was common sense that they wouldn't go that hardcore with it.

Watchmen Nicole Kassell Directs The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz New Line – Deadline

Watchmen director Nicole Kassell has been set to direct New Line’s feature adaptation of L. Frank Baum’s beloved American children’s novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Temple Hill partners Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey are producing with Marc Platt. Isaac Klausner will be executive producer.

“I am incredibly honored to join Temple Hill and New Line in bringing this beloved classic to the screen,” Kassell said. “While the 1939 musical is part of my DNA, I am exhilarated and humbled by the responsibility of re-imagining such a legendary tale. The opportunity to examine the original themes—the quest for courage, love, wisdom and home— feels more timely and urgent than ever. These are profoundly iconic shoes to fill, and I am eager to dance alongside these heroes of my childhood as we pave a newly minted yellow brick road.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"