Favorite/Least Favorite Year for Comic Book Movies

2016 because even after the heartbreak of BVS we got CW and DS. Two movies at the top of the class.

07 is the worst. How did we get through that year?

2002 witnessed the release of two CBMs I really love, I think I'll go with that year as my third favorite.

2008 was when I had two of my favorite CBMs ever, TDK and TIH (underrated gem)

Glad I'm not the only one to vote 2012, but I'll remember being the first.

I'll always remember 1997 as the year that I thought would be the death knell for comic books films. The Batman franchise ended with a fizzle, Spawn got bad reviews and didn't make enough for a sequel, Steel was a disaster, and the Justice League was reduced to a bad TV movie that didn't even get aired in the U.S. I never would have guessed that those were the pre-dawn hours of a golden age.

07 is the worst. How did we get through that year?

I think it was by anticipating what was to come in 2008. "The night is darkest just before the dawn."

It's a draw between 2008 and 2016

Both years have incredibly high-highs

2008 = Iron Man, The Dark Knight

2016 = Civil War, Dr Strange.

But also some low lows

2008 = the Spirit (aaaaaaghhhh !) , Wanted

2016 = Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad (and those are pretty ****ing dire ! Which is a lot coming from a hard core DC fan like me !)

I suppose 2016 gets the edge by also having Deadpool ( which I enjoyed,and thought was good) and X-Men Apocalypse (which I enjoyed but thought was kind of mediocre).

2008 had the Incredible Hulk (kind of mediocre, but mildly entertaining) and Hellboy II (which wasn't bad IMO).

Honourable mention to 2014 , for having DOFP (which was pretty good, but forgettable) Winter Solider (which is great) and GOTG (which I loved, and in my top 3 all time cbms) although it also had ASM2 (yuck !) and TMNT ( barf !).

Best: 2014 which has 4 good to great movies.
Runner ups: 2008 & 2016

Worst: 2009 (not one movie I like)
Runner Up: 2007 (I think SM3 is OK)

2014 over 2008 because of the trifecta in TWS, GOTG and DOFP.

Worst could have been this year if it wasn't for CW and DS. So I'd have to say 2007 followed by 2006.

2016 was my favorite. The only year where I loved at least three movies (Deadpool, Civil War, Dr. Strange).

2004 was the worst. Didn't like any of those movies. Yes, I'm not even a fan Spider-man 2 or Hellboy. (Come at me bro!)

1978 because Superman The Movie was released, but of what's on the 'menu', I'd say 2008, 2009 or 2013. Worst ? 1997 easily.

Accidentally voted for worst, which for me was 2004. 2008 is the best, Iron Man and The Dark Knight, two of my Top 5 All-Time CBMs (TDK #1, IM #5)

2012 for me, with TDKR and TA, which were both great, and TASM1, which was ok. I am cheating by including Arrow, which was the first great live-action superhero TV show in a long time, and at its best is up there with lots of great superhero movies. Mainly because of Arrow, TDKR and TA, 2012 is my favourite year when it comes to superhero live-action adaptions.

Last edited:
I went '08, but 2014 is a strong contender

For worst, it would be a tie between '06 and '07, that one two punch of X3 and Spidey 3 was tough to recover from

Just noticed how strong 2002 was. Spider-Man, Blade II and Road to Perdition.

2016 wins by sheer quantity, amongst quality: Civil War, Dr. Strange, Daredevil season 2, Luke Cage season 1, and Deadpool? No question.

I shouldn't have included TV shows on my list given the title; given that, 2016 would certainly not be the best. I'd say 2014.

I went '08, but 2014 is a strong contender

For worst, it would be a tie between '06 and '07, that one two punch of X3 and Spidey 3 was tough to recover from

Agreed. X3 and Spidey 3 come after such great movies before too and that make it worse.

No one year really does it for me as a year, since my favorite CBMs were released in 1980 (Superman II), 2001 (Ghost World), and 2013 (Blue is the Warmest Color). I just went with 2014 because that's the U.S. release date for Blue and the year of Winter Soldier (Marvel's best film) and the wonderful Big Hero 6.

Nothing beats my experience watching the first Spider-Man film in 2002. I probably wouldn't be here right now if not for that movie.

It's a tossup between 2008 and 2014. I might have to go 2008 because of TDK. Such an amazing theater experience.

I misread this poll and thought it said "least favorite" so I clicked 2007 and now I can't change it.

2008 was my favorite. Anything with The Dark Knight will be. 2015 and 2016 are up there too.

So, how do people think 2017 is measuring up so far to past years? Lego Batman, Logan, GOTG Vol. 2, and Wonder Woman is a pretty good run so far.

For me, it's 2008 hands down. Two game-changers in The Dark Knight and Iron Man, and a very enjoyable film in Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

2017 is shaping up to be a much better year for comic book films than I'd ever thought it would be if the second half of the year sticks the landing. Logan, Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, and even Lego Batman have made it a good year so far. We can only hope that Spider-Man: Homecoming, Kingsman 2, Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League will deliver. I'm confident at least two of them will knock it out of the park.

1)2008
2)2014
3)2016

I think 2017 is going to overtake 2016 and possibly give 2008 a run for its money should the remaining 3 CBM's be as good as Logan and Wonder Woman were. I want JL to be good so bad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"