Thor filming timeline

Discussion in 'Thor' started by 3atman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. 3atman Registered

Ok, so I'm not sure exactly how making a movie works, i have a decent idea. You get a writer(s) and a director, they collaborate on a good script, then start looking for people for the roles, do screen tests, have them read lines, chose your cast, go into more pre-production chosing locations, wardrobe, etc, then maybe rehearsals (sometimes not), then you film it, then edit it forever, hype it, show it.

My question is, could someone provide a timeline of where we are in the production of Thor and what the future has? It'd be much appreciated. I see we have a thread up for set pics, have they already started filming?

2. Vartha Mod of Thunder

Well in the Spoiler section there was an article that said they were about 3/4 the way through filming and that was about a week ago.

3. 3atman Registered

So they should be done filming within 2 months right? Which means a poster by the fall?

4. Chewy REDACTED

They should finish principal photography (the initial filming) in early May. We'll get a teaser trailer at comic-con.

A general timeline of how the production has been would be:

April 2006 - Mark Protosevich was hired to write
    Late 2006/Early 2007 - Protosevich writing first draft, Marvel searching for a director
    August 2007 - Matthew Vaughn was hired to direct
    Late 2007/Early 2008 - Vaughn and Protosevich rewriting script, Marvel budgets it at $300 Million
    May 2008 - Vaughn released from holding contract due to budgetary concerns, Marvel started searching for a new director
    September 2008 - Kenneth Branagh was hired to direct
    Late 2008/Early 2009 - Branagh and Protosevich rewriting script
    Early 2009 - Casting begins
    May 2009 - Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston were cast
    July 2009 - Natalie Portman was cast
    September 2009 - Colm Feore and Jaimie Alexander were cast
    October 2009 - Anthony Hopkins and Stellan Skarsgård were cast
    November 2009 - Most other supporting roles (Warriors Three, etc) were cast
    January 2010 - Principal photography (filming) started in LA at Manhattan Beach
    March 2010 - Filming moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico