Disney's Thor?! Some people are complaining that Thor feels like a kids movie!

You know, I'm really starting to rethink the whole "they played it safe" idea with regards to this film. They may have hedged their bets here and there where they could but really that this film was ever even greenlit is one of the most compelling examples of not playing it safe that I can think of.

The concept and the director were risky, but once they went ahead with those two things the final product wasn't that risky. Branagh and Marvel were just competent enough to make it work.

You know, I'm really starting to rethink the whole "they played it safe" idea with regards to this film. They may have hedged their bets here and there where they could but really that this film was ever even greenlit is one of the most compelling examples of not playing it safe that I can think of.

True

Last edited:
This wasn't a "safe" movie. It was just a well done movie, so it seems like it was made safely. It took many creative risks.

Every Marvel movie leading up to The Avengers is a creative risk. The Avengers is in itself, a creative risk. They can afford to be a little formulaic, it's the only way they can guarantee pulling the whole thing off.

JAK®;20263861 said:
Every Marvel movie leading up to The Avengers is a creative risk. The Avengers is in itself, a creative risk. They can afford to be a little formulaic, it's the only way they can guarantee pulling the whole thing off.

Bingo :cool:

The concept and the director were risky, but once they went ahead with those two things the final product wasn't that risky. Branagh and Marvel were just competent enough to make it work.

I'd say casting an unknown as the hero as well as another unknown as the villain was also risky. In fact, I'm almost certain that it's never happened before. Some films have done it with just the hero but never with both(I reserve the right to revise my statement since I can't remember every superhero film right off the top of my head).

I'd say casting an unknown as the hero as well as another unknown as the villain was also risky. In fact, I'm almost certain that it's never happened before. Some films have done it with just the hero but never with both(I reserve the right to revise my statement since I can't remember every superhero film right off the top of my head).

True, although Hopkins and Portman are well-known. In this case I think Marvel were simply canny enough to realise that audiences don't go to see stars anymore, they go to see characters and concepts. As well they should.

Or maybe they just couldn't find a star as suitable as Hemsworth. :cwink:

I was even more suprised on Hiddleston's casting.

This movie sooooooo isn't for kids. How can it be for kids when you see an eyeless Odin? :doh:

That's only for a few seconds though.

Besides that, the fights are really hard hitting and you see one of The Warriors Three getting impaled, and then there is that big creature that get's a huge hole.

heh every time I hear something like this it reminds me of Howard the Duck when it was in the theaters.
My Ex and I went to see it and a row behind us was an older woman with three kids under 12.

About the time Bev gets undressed behind the curtain the woman said, "this isn't a kids movie!" well DUH it's rated PG not G. lol Bet ya she thought it was about DONALD duck. lol

I remember watching the same thing happen at Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and that was PG-13! :doh:

I wouldn't say the Thor was Disneyfied at all. It was done well enough that it's appropriate for a wider audience and it still fun for all. That's a good thing.

IM 2 has the best action out of the Marvel films. Thor's was kinda disappointing in all honesty. Especially the Destroyer battle. That should have been a long, drawn out slobber knocker. It could have been a perfect demonstration of Thor's raw strength, trading blows with this massive robot thing, standing toe to toe with it.
I wonder. Is a character that takes longer to defeat the same foe stronger?

I would assume Thor knows all about The Destroyer....so would it make sense for him to try things (bashing him around) that he knows would not defeat him?

Interesting thread. The idea that a hero learning humility is "for kids" is strange to me. Loved that C.S. Lewis quote. Time to stop being ashamed of "childish" things. There is joy in childhood that most people lose when they grow up. Suddenly everything has to be "dark" to be worthwhile.

I also find it strange that anyone....after we finally get a Thor movie....would want Thor to put down his hammer and start punching people to prove how strong he is. We've got the Hulk for that. I'm sorry....Thor using his hammer is a display of Thor's strength. Thor is swinging that sucker! ;)

I also don't think we get too many great fight scenes in super hero movies. Blade maybe? Spider-Man 2 had one or two. Kick Ass had some great ones. Watchmen? Thor has to rank up near the top in the amount of action.

I never got the argument as to character x is better than character y since x can beat y in a fight. If Marvel wanted Thor to be stronger than Superman with or without the hammer they'd simply write him that way.

That would be like if someone said no one could beat Batman. I could turn around and create a character in ten seconds that knows everything Batman knows except he also has alien tech and was taught by wizards.
:up::up:

People will say whatever idiotic thing comes to mind. People hear that Disney is the parent company of Marvel and they automatically think that it means that Marvel properties will now be for children only or severely toned down.

1) It shows how little people understand business politics
2) It shows how ignorant people are to corporate culture

Disney is a brand. When a company acquires another company, it is usually done to fortify existing assets (for instance, a computer manufacturer acquiring a silicon fab factory) or to expand/diversify interests (Disney buying Marvel). A company is likely to utilize an expansion purchase as a separate brand. In fact, most brands that people use, are owned by some conglomerate.

For instance, Disney owns Mirimax, and has owned them since 1993. That means that the first three Scream films were all released by a Disney company (the fourth Scream film is released by Dimension, which is part of the Weinstein company). Disney uses the Mirimax label because it is a brand that represents mature content, where as Disney is a brand that represents family content. So let people whine about Thor and Disney. They are simply ignorant people. You can either educate them, or ignore them. Do not allow such people to ruin your experience.

This movie sooooooo isn't for kids. How can it be for kids when you see an eyeless Odin? :doh:

Besides that, the fights are really hard hitting and you see one of The Warriors Three getting impaled, and then there is that big creature that get's a huge hole.

But those scenes were pretty much bloodless. This movie was probably the most "all ages" Marvel Studios movie made so far, and it was (IMO) the best of the 4 Marvel Studios released so far.

Last edited:
I don't think this movie was made for kids but i think they made a movie that kids can watch and enjoy, yeah there were some cheesy moments but when the movie got serious it got serious.

I remember watching the same thing happen at Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and that was PG-13! :doh:

Actually, WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT was rated PG.

I wouldn't say the Thor was Disneyfied at all. It was done well enough that it's appropriate for a wider audience and it still fun for all. That's a good thing.

I agree.

But those scenes were pretty much bloodless. This movie was probably the most "all ages" Marvel Studios movie made so far, and it was (IMO) the best of the 4 Marvel Studios released so far.

I know that there is bloodless action in the movie. :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"