Thor Score

Thanks for that Alientraveller!

I'm going to type out the linear notes in a bit.

"I have always been a great fan of fantasy journals and an even bigger fan of the Marvel movies. I was extremely excited to be asked by Kenneth Branagh to compose the score for Thor and to be part of the hugely successful Marvel stable was thrilling.

The tone of the score was extremely demanding in many ways in terms of the size and colours as the story moved between the two worlds; the very modern earth world and the golden, fantastic kingdom of Asgard.

Not only did the score need to be big and thus symphonic, but it also needed to be contemporary and the fusion of both these requirements meant I had to keep the "bigness" constantly in check to stop it going "over the top". Many of the images were tempting to hyperbolize but the images, as Ken rightfully illustrated, were strong enough. The kew word Ken used in guiding the score was, in the modern sense, "cool". My kids, after they heard the demo for 'Earth To Asgard,' used the word "sick" that in common parlance means amazing so I knew then that I was on the right track!

All the performances are terrific and were the catalysts for many themes and motives, in particular Chris Hemsworth as Thor, who has done a fantastic job of launching the next Marvel superhero.

Ken has created a remarkable film in bringing this legend to screen and was, as always, a constant support and inspiration to me.

Once again I am indebted to him for his generosity and for including me as part of his team.

I should also like to thank Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, Craig Kyle and Victoria Alonso for their incredible encouragement and enthusiasm."

- Patrick Doyle

"Thor is big.

The man, or should I say, the God is big.

So when it comes to music, does size really matter?

Well, with all Patrick Doyle scores, what really matters is, "Is it right?"

We move from the home of the Gods to contemporary earth.

How to characterize each place? How to travel between them musically? Should the vikings have an influence on the score?

Spectacular action competes for our attention with wondrous visual effects - how does music support and compliment? But still retain it's own distinct contribution and flavour?

these are some of the questions we asked ourselves across the long gestation period for this score.

The answers are here for you to listen to, and they include "big" memorable movie themes, contemporary percussion and rhythm, pace and attack, modesty when required, and a dose of Viking primitivism for seasoning.

I think it does a wonderful service for the movie, and I'm thankful to Patrick, once again, for some very fine work.

I share in his debt of gratitude to our new Marvel family, the film score encyclopaedia that is Kevin Feige, the very musical Louis d'Esposito, the Latin dynamo Victoria Alonso, and the ever passionate Craig Kyle. They all made a HUGE contribution to this work.

My many thanks to them and Patrick's brilliant core team of Maggie, Chris and James.

Congratulations to them all.

I hope you enjoy the score."

- Kenneth Branagh

I saw the film nearly 24 hours ago and still have the music stuck in my head, Doyle has done his job well that means!

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is my favourite score for a Marvel film. 'Prologue' is just epic, especially when you know the visuals it accompanies.

"I have always been a great fan of fantasy journals and an even bigger fan of the Marvel movies. I was extremely excited to be asked by Kenneth Branagh to compose the score for Thor and to be part of the hugely successful Marvel stable was thrilling.

The tone of the score was extremely demanding in many ways in terms of the size and colours as the story moved between the two worlds; the very modern earth world and the golden, fantastic kingdom of Asgard.

Not only did the score need to be big and thus symphonic, but it also needed to be contemporary and the fusion of both these requirements meant I had to keep the "bigness" constantly in check to stop it going "over the top". Many of the images were tempting to hyperbolize but the images, as Ken rightfully illustrated, were strong enough. The kew word Ken used in guiding the score was, in the modern sense, "cool". My kids, after they heard the demo for 'Earth To Asgard,' used the word "sick" that in common parlance means amazing so I knew then that I was on the right track!

All the performances are terrific and were the catalysts for many themes and motives, in particular Chris Hemsworth as Thor, who has done a fantastic job of launching the next Marvel superhero.

Ken has created a remarkable film in bringing this legend to screen and was, as always, a constant support and inspiration to me.

Once again I am indebted to him for his generosity and for including me as part of his team.

I should also like to thank Kevin Feige, Louis D'Esposito, Craig Kyle and Victoria Alonso for their incredible encouragement and enthusiasm."

- Patrick Doyle

"Thor is big.

The man, or should I say, the God is big.

So when it comes to music, does size really matter?

Well, with all Patrick Doyle scores, what really matters is, "Is it right?"

We move from the home of the Gods to contemporary earth.

How to characterize each place? How to travel between them musically? Should the vikings have an influence on the score?

Spectacular action competes for our attention with wondrous visual effects - how does music support and compliment? But still retain it's own distinct contribution and flavour?

these are some of the questions we asked ourselves across the long gestation period for this score.

The answers are here for you to listen to, and they include "big" memorable movie themes, contemporary percussion and rhythm, pace and attack, modesty when required, and a dose of Viking primitivism for seasoning.

I think it does a wonderful service for the movie, and I'm thankful to Patrick, once again, for some very fine work.

I share in his debt of gratitude to our new Marvel family, the film score encyclopaedia that is Kevin Feige, the very musical Louis d'Esposito, the Latin dynamo Victoria Alonso, and the ever passionate Craig Kyle. They all made a HUGE contribution to this work.

My many thanks to them and Patrick's brilliant core team of Maggie, Chris and James.

Congratulations to them all.

I hope you enjoy the score."

- Kenneth Branagh
:up: :woot:

Best score for a Marvel film. Sons of Odin is playing in my head all the time.

Thor gonna be a great and huge hit on the box office.

I listened to this today.....I think not only will thor be my favorite mcu movie, but favorite mcu score also :up:

I love the soundtrack. :up: I can't get Thor's theme out of my head. lols

I adore this.

Crisis in Asgard is fantastic, brothers fight is epic, prologue and chasing the storm are beautiful...all around both music and film-wise, a great start to the summer season. :up:

Wish Marvel would put out music like those Spider-Man "music inspired by".

Honestly its not worth it lol i mean its just a best of AC/DC as it is - so unless its for collective purposes i'd say pass

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"