Tim Burton's Superman script, can it ever be adapted, and how??

Still not a completely justified reason against it.
As it's different from other recent trends in superhero suit making, it could even be an advantage to the film. What if it grosses a lot at BO and starts a new trend?

Ok, but then they have to write a new script then.
And maybe inspiration can be drawn from all existing drafts without someone claiming he's got the rights to certain ideas?

No the point is they don’t use those types of materials anymore, same as they don’t use spandex anymore because times have moved on and actors comfort is important. It’s never gonna happen.

I feel like they already did that with Superman Doomsday.

No the point is they don’t use those types of materials anymore, same as they don’t use spandex anymore because times have moved on and actors comfort is important. It’s never gonna happen.
It's sort of appears to be made out of plastic. The surface is also unusually shiny for a superhero suit.

BUT they don't have to use the same uncomfortable material as it's in the old suit. I'm willing to alter my wishes here. Scrap the old suit, send it to a museum.

Then create a new suit, with a SIMILAR design.
They can use whatever fabrics they want, as long as it LOOKS like the old suit.
It's important to keep the strong colors and the shininess.
That way, we can both be satisfied :)

Now, let's go on to discuss what we know about the plots from the different drafts.

I think it would be at least a lot more polarizing than Snyder.

I don't think a studio would be willing to make a live-action version and the only way it could get made in animation was if it was more of a self-parody, making fun of Burton and Cage, which would be pretty pointless.

Superman Lives was the official name, right?
But in early drafts, the title was Superman Reborn.

I remember both of them being talked about online. I liked the first better. It has a typical "superhero film" vibe to it.

Superman Lives was the official name, right?
But in early drafts, the title was Superman Reborn.

I remember both of them being talked about online. I liked the first better. It has a typical "superhero film" vibe to it.

There were two incarnations of Superman Reborn

The first was set to be an Ilya Salkind production written by Cary Bates & Mark Jones, where Superman battled Brainiac and wa reborn in the bottled City of Kandor. It was a really good script, very ambitious for its time and Chris Reeve was open to returning to make it. Interestingly this script incorporated the Death of Superman idea prior to it even been a comics event. But...

Then WB had their legal wrangling with Salkind’s and got the rights back to Superman. After the Death of Superman story was so huge in the comics they decided to make a movie on it. They then hired Gregory Poirer to write a script based off the concept which he titled Superman Reborn. It was awful, it had Superman unable to tell Lois his feelings so he visited a shrink as Clark. When he died at the hands of Brainiac he transferred his soul into Lois which makes her pregnant with Superman’s child. Days later the child is born and over the course of a short period grows up to be Superman reincarnated. Lois even died in the first draft. Later drafts made several changes including introducing other villains such as the Parasite & Silver Banshee but still sucked. Kevin Smith read it and told WB it sucked so they hired him to rewrite it. He scrapped it pretty much completely and wrote his own draft which he renamed Superman Lives.

There were two incarnations of Superman Reborn

The first was set to be an Ilya Salkind production written by Cary Bates & Mark Jones, where Superman battled Brainiac and wa reborn in the bottled City of Kandor. It was a really good script, very ambitious for its time and Chris Reeve was open to returning to make it. Interestingly this script incorporated the Death of Superman idea prior to it even been a comics event. But...

Then WB had their legal wrangling with Salkind’s and got the rights back to Superman. After the Death of Superman story was so huge in the comics they decided to make a movie on it. They then hired Gregory Poirer to write a script based off the concept which he titled Superman Reborn. It was awful, it had Superman unable to tell Lois his feelings so he visited a shrink as Clark. When he died at the hands of Brainiac he transferred his soul into Lois which makes her pregnant with Superman’s child. Days later the child is born and over the course of a short period grows up to be Superman reincarnated. Lois even died in the first draft. Later drafts made several changes including introducing other villains such as the Parasite & Silver Banshee but still sucked. Kevin Smith read it and told WB it sucked so they hired him to rewrite it. He scrapped it pretty much completely and wrote his own draft which he renamed Superman Lives.
Clark going to therapy would be something new. We need just that, to challenge the character and do something new.
I checked up on details from the drafts. It wasn't his feelings for Lois that made him go to a shrink but rather a bigger identity crisis.
One draft had a story about a 38 year old Supes, half-time retired. And he hadn't yet found out he's from Krypton. So yeah, a totally new take on the hero on several levels.

I think those ideas need to be used for future Superman adaptions, either with or without Burton's involvement. The character needs to be handled in a untraditional way.
Burton at the helm should happen at one point, though. How Supes is handled by him, with the Burton-esque tone and style, is something we (as an audience) need to see.
It's not only the story, but the visuals and the Burton quirks too. If we get the latter, the script can be a kinda new one. Inspired by the drafts, of course.
The idea of Tim Burton doing Superman is so weird, such an unbelievable match. That's why it should be made.

Superman Lives is not the version of Supes we deserve, but the one we need :D

Clark going to therapy would be something new. We need just that, to challenge the character and do something new.
I checked up on details from the drafts. It wasn't his feelings for Lois that made him go to a shrink but rather a bigger identity crisis.
One draft had a story about a 38 year old Supes, half-time retired. And he hadn't yet found out he's from Krypton. So yeah, a totally new take on the hero on several levels.

I think those ideas need to be used for future Superman adaptions, either with or without Burton's involvement. The character needs to be handled in a untraditional way.
Burton at the helm should happen at one point, though. How Supes is handled by him, with the Burton-esque tone and style, is something we (as an audience) need to see.
It's not only the story, but the visuals and the Burton quirks too. If we get the latter, the script can be a kinda new one. Inspired by the drafts, of course.
The idea of Tim Burton doing Superman is so weird, such an unbelievable match. That's why it should be made.

Superman Lives is not the version of Supes we deserve, but the one we need :D

There’s elements around the ideas that could have worked yeah but the scripts themselves were awful. Also Burton was never going to make those scripts.

Only Wesley Strick and Dan Gilroy’s scripts were Burtons.

I’m imagining a stop motion animation adaptation of this script. Think James and The Giant Peach, Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride. It would be wondrous! Get the old cast back, aside from creepy Spacey.

There’s elements around the ideas that could have worked yeah but the scripts themselves were awful. Also Burton was never going to make those scripts.

Only Wesley Strick and Dan Gilroy’s scripts were Burtons.
Maybe Burton could use some of the ideas now, but not the script?
Could also Kevin Smith be involved? I think he re-wrote one of the drafts before the film was scrapped.
The biggest problem is that he doesn't like Burton.

I’m imagining a stop motion animation adaptation of this script. Think James and The Giant Peach, Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, Corpse Bride. It would be wondrous! Get the old cast back, aside from creepy Spacey.
If this happen, I wouldn't count it as the "real" Superman Lives. I would continue to wish for the actual live action adaption.

Last edited:
Maybe Burton could use some of the ideas now, but not the script?
Could also Kevin Smith be involved? I think we re-wrote one of the drafts before the film was scrapped.
The biggest problem is that he doesn't like Burton.

No it’s the other way around Burton doesn’t like Smith

How can they possibly work together then?

And what do you think about my last suggestion for the suit?

Well they never did, as soon as Burton came on he scrapped Smith’s script and hired Wesley Strick to write the screenplay for his version of Superman Lives.

I just don’t think that suit would work today.

Well they never did, as soon as Burton came on he scrapped Smith’s script and hired Wesley Strick to write the screenplay for his version of Superman Lives
I'm talking about if the film is to be made NOW. How could they work together if the project gets back on track?

I just don’t think that suit would work today
Yeah, I had a feeling that you didn't see my last post.

Here it is again:

"...they don't have to use the same uncomfortable material as it's in the old suit. I'm willing to alter my wishes here. Scrap the old suit, send it to a museum.

Then create a new suit, with a SIMILAR design.
They can use whatever fabrics they want, as long as it LOOKS like the old suit.
It's important to keep the strong colors and the shininess.
That way, we can both be satisfied"

In other words, it's made the same way as other recent superhero suits.
No spandex!
Same fabric as modern superhero suits!
Comfortable to wear!
BUT
It looks like the Superman Lives/Reborn suit, which Cage did wear in the old pics.
That is the goal, and it's important!
Same colorful style!
It should still appear to be made out of plastic, and the surface should be shiny!
How to acchieve this? With the use of cgi! They should use special effects to modify the suit to look like the old one. The actual new costume worn by the actor doesn't need to look that way.

Last edited:
Straight to DVD or HBO Max animated film would be fun.

In the past I would have said it was too late to adapt it , but given the DC film and tv multiverse , yeah it could be done.

I think Animation would be the easiest way, but they could also do it live action.

They could even get Nic Cage back if they wanted. He's much older now, but there's nothing to say the story couldn't feature an older Superman taken out by Doomsday.

That way, you'd have a Superman who'd be around a couple decades as opposed to one who'd been around two years ala BvS.

Whether Burton could or would come back is something else.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing Burton tackle another Keaton centered Batman outing than see him take on Superman. I'd like to see what he'd have to say about that character 30 years later.

I'd actually be more interested in seeing Burton tackle another Keaton centered Batman outing than see him take on Superman. I'd like to see what he'd have to say about that character 30 years later.
That would also be awesome. Unless he sticks to the colorful style he started to adapt 2003-05 and he hardly does anything else these days. There was a long time since he did someting "gothic".

But Burton's Superman, do you think he can be convinced to work on the project again?

And what actor should play the lead if they replace Cage?

SUPERMAN LIVES (2020)
Directed by Panos Cosmatos

Adam Driver as Kal-El, Superman
Michael Shannon as Brainiac
Allison Brie as Lois Lane
Linus Roache as Lex Luthor
Tyler James Williams as Jimmy Olsen
Bill Duke as Perry White
and Nicolas Cage as Jor-El

That would also be awesome. Unless he sticks to the colorful style he started to adapt 2003-05 and he hardly does anything else these days. There was a long time since he did someting "gothic".

But Burton's Superman, do you think he can be convinced to work on the project again?

And what actor should play the lead if they replace Cage?

I dunno if Burton could be convinced to work on the project again.

I wouldn't say no outright.

At the time, it didn't seem to me his heart was really invested in Superman in terms of making the film, at least not in the way it was invested in his other projects.

It didn't seem like he really had the fire in his belly for it. I haven't seen Schnepp's documentary on SL or his interview with Burton , so I don't know if he really was passionate about a Superman.

But, being on the outside looking in, it just seemed to me like it was more of a gig for him as opposed to a passion project.

Nic Cage seemed more invested in it than Burton did ,to me at least.

Then again, its been 20 years, and Burton may feel like he has something to say with the character more than he did in the 90s.

If not Cage in the lead, than I do like Eddie Dean's suggestion of Adam Driver.

Like Cage, he would be an outside the box choice ,but is a great actor who, while maybe not looking like the typical Superman actor, could put in a great, emotional, performance.

I think Driver would fit more of the spirit of what Cage and Burton seemed to want to go for back in the 90s, than say a Henry Cavill or Tyler Hoechlin type actor would.

He's got the physical presence along with being able to play a more awkward and goofy Clark Kent.

SUPERMAN LIVES (2020)
Directed by Panos Cosmatos

Adam Driver as Kal-El, Superman
Michael Shannon as Brainiac
Allison Brie as Lois Lane
Linus Roache as Lex Luthor
Tyler James Williams as Jimmy Olsen
Bill Duke as Perry White
and Nicolas Cage as Jor-El
I don't think it's a good idea to have Snyderverse's Zod as another Superman villain.

Cage as the father is genius though.

Driver would be a good replacement for Cage in the lead. They both have a kinda "weird" persona.
He would also rock the longer hair that Cage had in some pics.

I dunno if Burton could be convinced to work on the project again.

I wouldn't say no outright.

At the time, it didn't seem to me his heart was really invested in Superman in terms of making the film, at least not in the way it was invested in his other projects.

It didn't seem like he really had the fire in his belly for it. I haven't seen Schnepp's documentary on SL or his interview with Burton , so I don't know if he really was passionate about a Superman.

But, being on the outside looking in, it just seemed to me like it was more of a gig for him as opposed to a passion project.

Nic Cage seemed more invested in it than Burton did ,to me at least.

Then again, its been 20 years, and Burton may feel like he has something to say with the character more than he did in the 90s.
I think you have a valid point! But the film can still be Burton-esque, if you don't dislike that.

Can Kevin Smith come back to work on Superman lives instead? Atleast for the script.
He claimed himself that he's not a blockbuster director.

I don't think it's a good idea to have Snyderverse's Zod as another Superman villain.

Cage as the father is genius though.

Driver would be a good replacement for Cage in the lead. They both have a kinda "weird" persona.
He would also rock the longer hair that Cage had in some pics.

I think you have a valid point! But the film can still be Burton-esque, if you don't dislike that.

Can Kevin Smith come back to work on Superman lives instead? Atleast for the script.
He claimed himself that he's not a blockbuster director.

Oh yeah, I could totally see Smith coming back for it .

I was trying my best to match Burton's original cast. Shannon was the best analog for Walken I could thing. Kinda scary, kinda funny. Driver has the Cage unlikely leading man and sex symbol aspect. Brie made her name with a sitcom like Cox, plus the Scream 4 connection. Tyler James Williams played the young Chris Rock. And I just like Bill Duke so I put him in there.

Lex was the hardest. I couldn't think of a Spacey analog, so I went with someone who worked with Cosmatos before and can be a good slimy villain.

Oh yeah, I could totally see Smith coming back for it .
He isn't totally new to superheroes either. He's directed some episodes of Flash and Supergirl.

I haven't seen a lot of his films. Only Tusk comes to my mind now.

He might do some really clever writing on Superman Lives, if he's hired. A bit untradtional writing as well (when it comes to supererheroes)
Do you think Warner Brothers would give him the offer of penning the script?

I was trying my best to match Burton's original cast. Shannon was the best analog for Walken I could thing. Kinda scary, kinda funny. Driver has the Cage unlikely leading man and sex symbol aspect. Brie made her name with a sitcom like Cox, plus the Scream 4 connection. Tyler James Williams played the young Chris Rock. And I just like Bill Duke so I put him in there.

Lex was the hardest. I couldn't think of a Spacey analog, so I went with someone who worked with Cosmatos before and can be a good slimy villain.
Good work! I know it can be tricky to find actors for all characters :)

I want to see an animated adaptation of this script. But instead of the kid quickly growing up and turning into Superman, he just becomes a super powered baby. With Nicolas Cage’s face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"