Tim Miller exits Deadpool 2

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by BatsDC, Oct 22, 2016.

1. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Per Deadline:

Deadline

2. The Chris TDK Trilogy Forever!

God that sucks.

3. ImSGirl95 Doreen Green

Wait ... what? Why? How? When?

Deadpool was a masterpiece thanks to the combination of Ryan/Miller and the two writers.

What happened?

4. Ryan1210 Registered

Ok I'm worried now. Due to the castings maybe?

5. Nathan Registered

I don't like this.

6. Zero_Effect Registered

"creative differences between Deadpool director Tim Miller and star Ryan Reynolds."

Tough call here. Miller directed this and it was great but a lot of what made it great was Reynolds. I guess the bigger name won out.

7. Speed Force Quips and thwips

Definitely not good news. Hopefully Fox takes their time to find a replacement, and if the sequel is pushed back a little bit? So be it.

8. Serpico Jones Registered

9. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

((((( I really enjoyed Miller's direction. Execution was pitch perfect... But now?

10. -JKR- Registered

Sad news!

If I were Ryan Reynolds, I would've trusted the guy who managed to pull off Deadpool so perfectly for the sequel much more!

11. TheVileOne Registered

Not sure why this is good news at all.

Hard to say what happened here. It seems Miller is still on good terms with Fox, for now. For Reynolds, Deadpool really resurrected his flailing career after he had so many missed starts as a movie star. He might just be fully taking over now and getting very protective of this franchise. That's just my read on this. Reynolds is asserting more control and that's not working for Miller.

Now look, I think Miller did a great job, but at the same time, I don't believe he's the only one who can make a good Deadpool movie. Not to mention, you already have to deal with the stigma of the film being a stigma and expectations being so much higher this time.

However, my concern is that the film now has no director when it's supposed to start shooting in a couple of months, and it's supposed to make a 2018 release date.

12. MadVillainy C'mon Son

What the blazes man?!

I dont think any said this was good news

13. -JKR- Registered

I really hate this.

I hoped this franchise would move forward with exact the same creative team. I really loved Tim Miller's take on the character, and how humble and willing to improve himself for the sequel he appeared in interviews.

14. DavidHaller Registered

Deadpool 1 forget to have a plot besides its puberty humor. Maybe they can find a director who can actually make Deadpool cinematographically more interesting than the first totally over-rated movie.

Would love to know what caused the Deadpool schism.

15. psyonic X-Man

Flashback to Ratner lol

16. Weather Witch Registered

Yeah it is absolutely a though call, but yeah... Ryan over Miller any day. With Ryan involved I think this movie will be fine regardless. Not worried.

17. -JKR- Registered

There's a huge gap between idea and execution.

One of the reasons Deadpool turned out to be this special little flick is its great execution by director Tim Miller.

If names such as Jeff Wadlow, Louis Leterrier, Len Weisman, Robert Schwentke or David Dobkin start popping up I'll get physically sick!

18. LoganGambit87 Registered

worked out for Fox's Apes franchise after the very good rise of the planet of the apes then dawn of the apes came and they replaced director with matt reeves and the sequel was even better

19. -JKR- Registered

In that case it worked. But sequels which other directors take over are mostly disappointing. There are few exceptions. Aliens, the Bourne franchise and the latest Planet of the Apes movies come to mind. The Empire Strikes Back, too, but that's a very different situation.

I'll post a quote from the Hollywood reporter comments section:

...and I agree 100%.

Directors DO matter on movies. A lot.

Also, Steven Weintraub from Collider posted this on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/colliderfrosty

Imagine if Joe Dante didn't direct Gremlins 2.

The first one was written by Chris Columbus and Steven Spielberg had a hand in developing the movie and was involved in the creative process, but look at the charme and sensibility Dante brought to the movie.

And just like that, Tim Miller brought a certain something to Deadpool. And people who think that anybody could have done that don't know much about filmmaking, IMHO.

#19 -JKR-, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  20. Erik Lensherr Registered

21. -JKR- Registered

Someone posted this in the BirthMoviesDeath comments section, claiming that it was posted earlier this morning and later taken down by Reynolds.

Seems kinda mean-spirited if legit and if it has something to do with Miller leaving.

22. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

Deadpool was my second favorite comic book film of the year so far. I just thought it worked in spades. It's not impossible to make a good sequel without the original director, movies have done it before but if this is some ego-driven crap by Ryan Reynolds then I'm going to be worried big time.

Fans dismissing the director as if he had no hand in making Deadpool the film that it is need to get over themselves and stop giving Reynolds so much credit just because his face is on camera and he can put on the charm. That's like pretending that Jon Favreau had nothing to do with Iron Man being a quality film and claiming that Robert Downey jr. deserves all of the credit. Do not downplay writers and directors.

#22 I SEE SPIDEY, Oct 22, 2016
  23. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

People will also point to those modern heavy hitters: Star Trek, Star Wars, Jurassic World, Fast & Furious, Captain America

What has been the case more often than not are disappointing sequels by the same director if they haven't already gotten past the "2nd is the best" (which is becoming a rarer feat especially from the same director)

I respect and admire his visual contribution and he will be missed for that.

#23 2kt09, Oct 22, 2016
  24. -JKR- Registered

Most people somehow think that all that directors do is point the camera and tell actors what to do.

25. Neno_Kos Registered

I just realized this will also affect casting process and choices. We should have being getting casting news now beside getting who is on the shortlist. You wonder now with no director on board and FOX now trying find Miller's replacement we wont get casting news soon. Unless they decide cast first actors and then director. But that's pretty much recipe for disaster.