The Punisher Time to rate The Punisher Season 1!!!

This is not a political thriller. It might have been written like one, but the direction sucks. This comes across more like a West Wing show than something like NCIS. When Frank or Karen isn't in a scene, it draaaaggggggs. The other characters just suck and are not written or acted well at all. And the plot is not straight forward at all. It's a mess. And what we got was nothing like the trailer. Think all you want, but in the end, it's my opinion that counts on what jives or not. This show sucked. I guess I was spoiled by the latest Netflix show, Stranger Things, and that had me raised the bar high, and Punisher failed to hit that bar miserably.

I said it was advertised as a military conspiracy thriller not a political thriller. You keep saying we didn't get what was advertised. The trailers showed Madani's investigation, Frank Castle's past, his family's murder, the larger conspiracy tying all that together, and various action scenes. So what exactly did the trailers advertise that we didn't get?

And have you ever watched West Wing or did you just pull that dumb comparison out of your ass? Also, NCIS isn't a political thriller.

Punisher is better reviewed on this forum than Iron Fist or Defenders.

Iron Fist got mostly rated between 5-8. Defenders got rated by most users between 6-9. Punisher gets rated 7-10 on average. That's a much bigger hit.

9/10 second only to Daredevil as far as Marvel/Netflix is concerned.

I loved it. Bloody, thrilling, gripping, unexpected.

I'm glad they went the conspiracy route. Had he been taking on criminals in season 1 they would have missed out on the chance to do this beautiful story. Not to mention it would have just been daredevil with killing. Plus, this made him into a less ambiguous hero than I've ever seen the punisher. Have him killing people who break the law without a trial and he's a criminal himself. Have him killing corrupt authorities who no one else can stop, he's a superhero.

And we will still get the traditional punisher next season.

Daredevil 9.5/10
Punisher 9.0/10
Defenders 8.5/10
Jessica Jones 8.5/10
Luke Cage 8.0/10
Iron Fist 7.0/10

Last edited:
Incredibly impressed, I really appreciated the choices and modifications made.
I almost do not want another season, leave poor Frank alone. :csad:

I said it was advertised as a military conspiracy thriller not a political thriller. You keep saying we didn't get what was advertised. The trailers showed Madani's investigation, Frank Castle's past, his family's murder, the larger conspiracy tying all that together, and various action scenes. So what exactly did the trailers advertise that we didn't get?

:huh: I only saw the trailer with Frank Castle hammering the Punisher symbol on concrete, so I get why the confusion could happen.
Was expecting Frank Castle to continue being the Punisher from the get go, not the retiring/other people are investigating his case after he was thought to be dead/most actions by the Punisher are nearing the end of the season.
Not horrible but not quite what was anticipated. Seems the show was more focused on Homeland Security/CIA/Micro(?) investigations/flashbacks rather than on the main character being the Punisher, as the name of the show suggests.

Incredibly impressed, I really appreciated the choices and modifications made.
I almost do not want another season, leave poor Frank alone. :csad:
I agree, very interested in what happens next.

:huh: I only saw the trailer with Frank Castle hammering the Punisher symbol on concrete, so I get why the confusion could happen.
Was expecting Frank Castle to continue being the Punisher from the get go, not the retiring/other people are investigating his case after he was thought to be dead/most actions by the Punisher are nearing the end of the season.
Not horrible but not quite what was anticipated. Seems the show was more focused on Homeland Security/CIA/Micro(?) investigations/flashbacks rather than on the main character being the Punisher, as the name of the show suggests.

The trailers made it pretty clear there was a conspiracy, the tagline for the season was "Hunt for the Truth" there was a lot of focus on his military past plus most of the action shots were of him fighting people in full tactical gear and almost nothing of him with and what would appear to be common criminals. There was no misleading.

6/10. Quite a slog and a snoozefest. The most dragging Netflix Marvel show yet. It also looks so low budget which turned me off.

9/10 for me. Excellent first series that wasnt afraid to approach subjects and matter other comic book movies either cant because of ratings or are afraid to. Felt like something more relevant to our world than anything since the TDK series.

Yeah theres a few areas it could improve on, a bigger budget would help, but overall couldnt ask for a lot more from the first season, good story, some good villains and some great action moments.

Bring on season 2 is all I can say.

I give it a ten. Easily the most enjoyable Netflix Marvel show so far for me.

Haven't completed the season yet, but it's been a very satisfying experience thus far.

10/10 easy. IMO the best Marvel small screen product.

Consistent quality, clean visuals, solid story, brutal action, a bit of Heart. Everything I ever wanted in a Punisher adoption.

It's also #1 as far as a Punisher adoption.

The trailers made it pretty clear there was a conspiracy, the tagline for the season was "Hunt for the Truth" there was a lot of focus on his military past plus most of the action shots were of him fighting people in full tactical gear and almost nothing of him with and what would appear to be common criminals. There was no misleading.

As I have stated, ":huh:I only saw the trailer with Frank Castle hammering the Punisher symbol on concrete, so I get why the confusion could happen." Not that it should/must happen.

Not "The trailers made it pretty clear..." were misleading.

The only thing that I might imply (if that was your take) was misleading could be the focus of the story, where more than half (that was my take/IMO) of the show was focused on other characters doing investigations/backstories(?)/meetings/discussions instead of the titled character.

7/10, better than Iron Fist, but still problematic.

For me, DD season 1 is best Netflix season. I would say this and JJ are tied for 2nd. Loved this show.

9/10 I loved it gave the slight edge to DD season 1 cause of Fisk and Wesley but not by much I loved Micro in the season the way there friendship evolved through out the season really paid off in the last couple of episode I even chocked up a little when Micro thought frank was dying after his encounter with Billy and agent orange

Only part I didn't like was the the whole Billy and the homeland agent I didn't care for that

6.5/10. I rounded up to 7 in the poll.

There was just way too much filler for me to love this show. It's like the writers went to the same school as The Walking Dead in order to learn how to needlessly pad episodes and pass it off as character content. I'm at the point where I'm unlikely to watch any more Marvel superhero shows unless they can reduce them down to 10 or fewer episodes. I'll make an exception for Punisher 2 if Jigsaw is in it, but that's it.

There were also plotholes and headscratchers, not to mention the way so many characters would recover so quickly from what ought to have been massive, crippling injuries.

On the plus side, Frank was wonderfully portrayed by Bernthal. You can't even see any acting there; he really just is Frank Castle. His relationships with Micro, Billy, and Karen were the highlight of the season.

6.5/10. I rounded up to 7 in the poll.

There was just way too much filler for me to love this show. It's like the writers went to the same school as The Walking Dead in order to learn how to needlessly pad episodes and pass it off as character content. I'm at the point where I'm unlikely to watch any more Marvel superhero shows unless they can reduce them down to 10 or fewer episodes. I'll make an exception for Punisher 2 if Jigsaw is in it, but that's it.

There were also plotholes and headscratchers, not to mention the way so many characters would recover so quickly from what ought to have been massive, crippling injuries.

On the plus side, Frank was wonderfully portrayed by Bernthal. You can't even see any acting there; he really just is Frank Castle. His relationships with Micro, Billy, and Karen were the highlight of the season.

Throughout the whole show Jon Bernthal's portrayal is what kept me hooked...Characters like Frank are really his bread and butter and he just shined throughout. Watching him in this just solidified him as my favorite actor right now. It was great to see the humanity and the emotion he put in the character while at the same time making him a looming, terrifying presence.
The scene where he gets up off the chair to kill Rawlins had me legit terrified, the dude is just a monster.
. On another note Jon must've put in some work in the gym lol because I don't remember him being this jacked in DD Season 2.

The Punisher does not have filler. I for one found it to not only be the most well paced of the Marvel shows, but just wonderfully handled overall.

The Punisher does not have filler. I for one found it to not only be the most well paced of the Marvel shows, but just wonderfully handled overall.

At a minimum, if there was filler, it was within an episode. At no point did I feel like there was an episode that was wasted. Even the sideplot ended up both advancing the main plot and dealing with essential themes in a way that was necessary.

This is my 2nd favorite Marvel Netflix show so far. Normally I agree with critics and their reviews/evaluations, but this is definitely one time where there's a huge disconnect between critics and the audience.

Also really seems like critics either loved it or hated it; but honestly some of the negative reviews were there because the critics themselves said they weren't fans of the Punisher.

I have no doubt season 2 will be announced. I'd say soon, but it took forever for DD season 3 to be announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"