To: The Burton Haters

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
Batman has killed in the following issues:

Detective Comics #28 (Using a handgun and snapping someone's neck with the bat-rope.)
Batman #1 (A machine gun mounted on the batwing) Which we also saw in the `89 film
Batman #15 (using a machine gun against the Nazi's)

In the Dark Knight Returns he rode a tank and had a shotgun in the Two-Face part of the story.

Nuff said!

well i dont like batman killing, but i do like the scene when he destroys Axis chemicals. Its not so much he's killing people, but destroying everything the Joker used to poisen Gotham.

While it is true that Batman did kill in the earlier comics, they were few and far between. And in the majority of Batman comics, it is known that Batman established a code to not kill and that is what has become the accepted version of Batman, which I for one appreciate. My ideal version of Batman does not kill and would never kill.

I understand, but some people hate the Burton films because Batman killed. Sure there is a code, but Batman has killed and Burton seemed to like that aspect and included it in the film. Also remember this was produced in 1988 and released in 1989, so we were in the beginning of post-crisis. You could say that Burton combined Batman's pre and post crisis origin. Or atleast Sam Hamm and Warren Skaaren did.

that wasnt a shotgun in DKR, it shot a rope.

Well, technically, it was a shotgun, it just fired a rope. ;)

I didnt like him killing The Penguin.I mean he didnt even try to save him.I know he was the villain but we all know Batman saves their worthless asses no matter how evil they are.

Interesting that all the villains that died in the Bat-films did so by falling to their death.

A metaphor for their descent into madness...or just lazy writing on behalf of the screenwriters?

Originally posted by Catman
I understand, but some people hate the Burton films because Batman killed. Sure there is a code, but Batman has killed and Burton seemed to like that aspect and included it in the film. Also remember this was produced in 1988 and released in 1989, so we were in the beginning of post-crisis. You could say that Burton combined Batman's pre and post crisis origin. Or atleast Sam Hamm and Warren Skaaren did.
Actually, I think the no-killing code was established in either the 50's, when the Comics Code was enacted or in the 60's when Batman was first "rebooted".

The Penguin technically wasn't killed by Batman. The Penguin pressed the button that released the bats. You can't fault Batman for that one.

As for the Joker, Batman was only trying to keep him from getting away. If you try and tell me that Batman knew the Gargoyle was going to break away from the parapet, I may commit suicide. :-b

Originally posted by skruloos
Actually, I think the no-killing code was established in either the 50's, when the Comics Code was enacted or in the 60's when Batman was first "rebooted".

In addition with the no-killing code you can re-use villains.

True, but they couldn't afford to get Jack Nicholson back.

Originally posted by VaderLives
True, but they couldn't afford to get Jack Nicholson back.

I somehow doubt that, with all the money that Batman made, they should have been able to get him back.

Originally posted by DocLathropBrown
The Penguin technically wasn't killed by Batman. The Penguin pressed the button that released the bats. You can't fault Batman for that one.

As for the Joker, Batman was only trying to keep him from getting away. If you try and tell me that Batman knew the Gargoyle was going to break away from the parapet, I may commit suicide. :-b

True. Batman didn't directly kill the Penguin or the Joker (or Two-Face). But he was indirectly responsible. If Batman didn't finish them off it would be unsatisfying, but if he he directly killed them, there would be complaints.

Originally posted by DocLathropBrown

He could of tried to save The Penguin though.He didnt even check to see if he was alive.

Originally posted by Ock
He could of tried to save The Penguin though.He didnt even check to see if he was alive.

That's true too. And we all know Catwoman never died. I don't complain about the villians dying though. It seems like the more sensible way to do it in the movies.

I just didnt like in the way he went about killing people like putting the bomb in that goon of The Penguins and killing the goons of The Jokers like he did were just all done in cowardly fashion is what annoyed me about those films.

Originally posted by Ock

Thats because Selina was more important to him.

Originally posted by Stable1987
Tim Burton was all wrong for Batman.

His movies are worthless.

So true.As far as Batman movies go,yeah his movies are worthless but he has made some good films before such as Ed Wood and Edward Scissorhands,but Batman is not one of them and he was so wrong for them.

wow! I completely forgot about this thread. Thanks for bringing it back. lol.

Interesting how Batman kills some thugs himself, but after watching the Penguin die (apparently) then tries to convince Selina not to kill Schreck and that they should take him to the police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sumilumi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"