Tom Cruise = the new Michael Jackson

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
Tom Cruise is the new Michael Jackson. That is, public enemy number one. It's open season on the Cruiser, and the media are leading the charge. In fact - they created it. As they always do.

Michael Jackson is undoubtedly a very strange man, but in no way is he the sick predator the media have presented him as over the years. Given that he's never come any way near normality in his entire life, and has had so much adulation and wealth and yes-men since a young age, and is incredibly naive.....it makes sense he's so odd.

The media wanted you to forget all the good he did for the world - and he's done an awful lot. They wanted you to ignore the only artist who continually put out songs about helping others and the planet (Man in the Mirror, Heal the World, Earthsong). They wanted you to forget this is one of the greatest entertainers in recorded history. And think of him as a bad guy.

But as a placard at his trial was daubed, he's smooth, but he's not a criminal.

Let's not forget, Jackson was aquitted on ALL charges. He is guilty of absolutely nothing. And the trial lasted months. Everybody was against him. Everybody was looking at every minute detail, repeatedly. And there was nothing there.

Fleet street offices around the western world must be full of un-opened champagne bottles and unused party poppers from that day. They backed off Jackson, and he wisely travelled to a place beyond the media's grasp - yes, there are such places. There are even places without Tesco.

Tom Cruise remains the biggest film star in the West, and yet we've convinced ourselves - we've been convinced - that everybody hates him.

The press loves a target. The press loves to build a hero and then knock them down. And once Tom Cruise starts acting the fool - even for only seconds - the media are on him like a wolves, and then vultures. Okay, he was silly jumping on the couch on Opera, but no-one would care if the media didn't give it so much coverage. The media decides who you and your colleagues are going to talk about at work the next day.

Cruise reached the pinnacle of Hollywood by, alongside his onscreen abilities, being the ultimate professional and puting in extreme ammounts of hard work. He's always appeared level-headed and mature, given the press little to criticise other than supposed 'sexual difficulties' on the set of Eyes Wide Shut.

Following the Oprah incident, the press stuck to Cruise like ****s glued to a dude. Each subsequent Cruise episode is blown out of all proportion, and the public simply excepts that Cruise is a meglomaniacal, scientology-obsessed control freak who abducted Katie Holmes into his crazy circle of million-dollar weirdness.

Because that is how the media presents him.

Forget all the good stuff he's done, forget all the money he makes for charity - well, you can't forget that because it's never reported. Forget the fact that he's never had a movie make less that $100m in the US box office charts. Forget Rain Man, The Last Samurai, the Mission Impossible trilogy, War of the Worlds, Collateral, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky and (my favourite) Legend.

The media is telling you to hate Tom Cruise. Therefore you should hate him.

But hey, here comes Mel Gibson.

While I don't hate TC I do find him annoying. So I boycott any and all of his movies until they comeout on tv or someone buys them and makes me watch them

Media has gotten out of hand the past few decades. Back during the golden age of Hollywood, personal lives were a lil more respected. You didn't have the type of hassaling that a star gets now just to get a coffee at Starbucks.

I don't think it's the media telling us to hate Tom Cruise. The media just over exposes everyone. How many times a week do we hear about Spears/Federline, Lohan, Cruise, Brad and Angelina, Vince and Jen. It's a bombardment that I don't even watch those Entertainment shows because I'm honestly sick of it. I won't even get into how annoying the announcers/interviewers are on the show.

What bothered me about Tom Cruise wasn't his antics perse but the fact that he kept trying to force his beliefs, his life down everyones throat. During his marriage to Nicole Kidman he kept his private life, very private. A year ago, he was always kissing Katie Holmes during every photo op. Almost like look at me, I'm kissing her, everything is okay like he's trying to prove something. And many of his opinions come off as condescending, like he's talking down to you. That's what bothers me about him. He's a great actor but maybe he should go back to keeping his private life private again.

The media is only giving the public what the want. People stop giving a **** about celebrities' private lives and the media will too.

I'm shocked to see that the bad press Cruise is getting actually seriously affected the box-office return of MI3. This means there's actually millions of people who care enough about celebrity gossip to let it affect their film choice.
I do hope this is a wake up call to Cruise to lighten the **** up and to get real. I'm sick of his antics, but I'm even more sick of the collective Cruise bashing that is going on.
The guy is really talented, so give him a chance when he does what he does best. He's lost when it comes to press and paparazzi, but on celluloid he still knows what to do.

I never cared much for Tom Cruise a long time before the latest crap he's been pulling. I knew a Vietnam Vet who worked with him during Born on the 4th of July(He's actually the guy with mech. arms at the beginning of the movie in the front during the march), and he had some unsavory words about the guy. Tom Cruise has had a very well cultivated public image, and if you'll remember, most of the breakdown occured once he fired Kingsley, who brilliantly handled his PR. I think he's about as genuine as a three dollar bill.

As for Mel Gibson, well, we tend to say what we really think when we're drunk. The guy is anti-semetic. If you're okay with that, or don't care, then continue to send him your hard-earned dollar when his next movie comes out.

Kevin Roegele said:
continually put out songs about helping others and the planet (Man in the Mirror, Heal the World, Earthsong)
That's one of his worst crimes.:confused:

i honestly dont care anymore. i'll still watch his movies, if there is any i find interesting.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
That's one of his worst crimes.:confused:

Wil, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)

I'm afraid Tom Cruise has... a different path to walk down:

bushassassinationlx3.jpg

:(

Erzengel said:
What bothered me about Tom Cruise wasn't his antics perse but the fact that he kept trying to force his beliefs, his life down everyones throat. During his marriage to Nicole Kidman he kept his private life, very private.

:up: When he decided to start running his mouth off about Scientology 24/7 and push his beliefs on people in his interviews and generally made a spectacle out of his relationship with Holmes, he kind of drew attention to himself. Firing Kingsley was the dumbest thing he's ever done. She kept him in check, quite obviously.

Personally, I loathe the cult of personality in this country, especially in the way the media panders to it. It's always existed to a certain extent, but the Information Age means that there's more dirt on people to report and it's taken the place of actual news in our society. It's dumbing down our population.

jag

Isn't that why his sister was reassigned?

Erzengel said:
Wil, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)

you sayin' I'm a rat.:(

Yeah, I'm surprised the Scientology dudes haven't booted Cruise himself out. I thought they were known for ousting members that brought too much of a negative light on the religion. Most folks now equate the religion with Cruise who has been a bit of a freak lately.

He probably gives them more money than all their other members combined.

More so that you avenge me against those who have tormented me. :) :up:

Well, when you're jumping on couches, being terribly rude to Matt Lauer on the Today show, and being incredibly public about how bizarre and weird you are in your private life, and being incredibly litigious over any little thing that makes you mad, I hate to say that you bring the bulllseye onto yourself.

Perhaps the media has gone too far with the Anti Cruise-ade (ha! Get it? Crusade? Ba-doomp CRASH!), but it's really only because he's made himself such an incredibly easy target. The only thing the public likes more than a good guy (not to say that Cruise was a good guy to begin with) is seeing said good guy brought down and shamed.

And you know why? Because it brings these high-and-mighty self-impressed celebrities (and yes, I am saying that Cruise is one of them) down closer to our level. We like celebrity just fine until the celebrities start lording it over us mere mortals like tiny little deities.

i think he made his own grave- but i also think the media did pounce on him, and that they use people like him as distractions. In the respect i agree with you, kevin.

squeekness said:
Yeah, I'm surprised the Scientology dudes haven't booted Cruise himself out. I thought they were known for ousting members that brought too much of a negative light on the religion. Most folks now equate the religion with Cruise who has been a bit of a freak lately.
I wonder though- has anyone looked into whether or not his antics have actually had an impact membership in the Church of Scientology?

Cyclops said:
and being incredibly litigious over any little thing that makes you mad
Actually suing a paper for saying you're gay is such a loser move and the worst way to hide your homosity.
Imagine, say, Kevin Spacey, suing every paper that has suggested he's gay.
:rolleyes:
Such a dork.
"I'M NOT GAY!!!!...I'M NOT GAY!!!!....SEE?!? I'M CRAZEE IN LOVE WITH KATIE HOLMES!!! I WANNA DO HER RIGHT HERE, ON THIS COUCH!!! 'CAUSE I'M STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW!!!! YUM!!! BREASTS1!!!1!"

"Mr. Cruise, come out of the closet."
"No!"

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Actually suing a paper for saying you're gay is such a loser move and the worst way to hide your homosity.
Imagine, say, Kevin Spacey, suing every paper that has suggested he's gay.
:rolleyes:
Such a dork.
"I'M NOT GAY!!!!...I'M NOT GAY!!!!....SEE?!? I'M CRAZEE IN LOVE WITH KATIE HOLMES!!! I WANNA DO HER RIGHT HERE, ON THIS COUCH!!! 'CAUSE I'M STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW!!!! YUM!!! BREASTS1!!!1!"

Tom Cruise loves breasts especially A cups because they are so huge.

Kevin Roegele said:
Let's not forget, Jackson was aquitted on ALL charges. He is guilty of absolutely nothing. And the trial lasted months.

JUST LIKE THE O.J. SIMPSON TRIAL. :dry:

Erzengel said:
Media has gotten out of hand the past few decades. Back during the golden age of Hollywood, personal lives were a lil more respected. You didn't have the type of hassaling that a star gets now just to get a coffee at Starbucks.

I don't think it's the media telling us to hate Tom Cruise. The media just over exposes everyone. How many times a week do we hear about Spears/Federline, Lohan, Cruise, Brad and Angelina, Vince and Jen. It's a bombardment that I don't even watch those Entertainment shows because I'm honestly sick of it. I won't even get into how annoying the announcers/interviewers are on the show.

What bothered me about Tom Cruise wasn't his antics perse but the fact that he kept trying to force his beliefs, his life down everyones throat. During his marriage to Nicole Kidman he kept his private life, very private. A year ago, he was always kissing Katie Holmes during every photo op. Almost like look at me, I'm kissing her, everything is okay like he's trying to prove something. And many of his opinions come off as condescending, like he's talking down to you. That's what bothers me about him. He's a great actor but maybe he should go back to keeping his private life private again.

I agree with everything you said, especially the last part.

Erzengel said:
Tom Cruise loves breasts especially A cups because they are so huge.

Are you suggesting that Tom Cruise has the hots for Kevin James?

I don't think T.C. is that good of an actor. All his movies would be just as good if someone else was in the role. Perhaps better.

And I don't agree with his religion.

I think he is a little physco.

Maybe not as much as the press wants you to believe, but he still is alittle.

So I've never been a fan even before all this.

PS.

War of the Worlds and Mission Impossible 3 were terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"