Smallville Tom Welling to reprise Superman role on The Flash?

I honestly don't think he'll do it either, that's why I laughed.

I think its hilarious that people think Tom "I won't wear the Superman costume" would show up for a Superman cameo.

Dude, if this turns out to be true my girlfriend's gonna go nuts! ;)

Personally, I'd love to see Welling return as the Man of Steel, but I seriously doubt it though.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think he'll do it either, that's why I laughed.

Gotcha...

I think its hilarious that people think Tom "I won't wear the Superman costume" would show up for a Superman cameo.

Did Tom say that? I'd not seen him quoted anywhere...

Yeah, it was obviously a conscious choice by someone to not let Tom wear the tights, but I don't think Tom woulda had much say on the matter. I remember there was a saying from the show's producers about that, 'No flights, no tights.'

I'm not sure Millar & Gough would have come up with something like that on their own, so I always thought the ban on the tights & flights was actually a prohibition imposed by Warner Brothers. There were lawsuits about the rights to Superman at the time, so the studio would likely want to err on the side of caution...

Could be wrong, though.

As much as I love to see tom return. It isn't likely. As we know like SV had rights in using x characters. More so when films in the making. It isn't likely. Plus those links from a few days ago. Are from crap sites that just regurgitate old news over and over for months.

I'd like to see him return as Clark Kent for tv. Henry Cavill is perfection for the entire role in the movie realm, but I wouldn't mind Tom back for Clark role :up: That could be fun and really nostalgic for fans.

The rumor just won't go away. http://www.inquisitr.com/2541573/th...ek-iris-bringing-a-surprising-ally-for-barry/

Also, a couple of months ago, Bryan Q. Miller (from Smallville) announced he was writing an episode of The Flash. Bryan usually denies such rumors (about Tom or Smallville movies) when I ask him about it but this time he stayed silent. Plus, this surfaced as well a while ago...

One thing's for sure, it's a testament to Tom's greatness in the role that 4 years after the show has ended and any news regarding him & Superman still generate this kind of excitement & publicity which rival if not surpass anything regarding "the other guy". I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited:
I highly doubt Supermam would appear on the Flash, were he to appear (fully) in any show it would be Supergirl and even that I doubt. If he ever does appear in the DC TV universe I hope he is portrayed by a new actor tbh and I'm a huge fan of Tom Welling.

The rumor just won't go away. http://www.inquisitr.com/2541573/th...ek-iris-bringing-a-surprising-ally-for-barry/

Also, a couple of months ago, Bryan Q. Miller (from Smallville) announced he was writing an episode of The Flash. Bryan usually denies such rumors (about Tom or Smallville movies) when I ask him about it but this time he stayed silent. Plus, this surfaced as well a while ago...

One thing's for sure, it's a testament to Tom's greatness in the role that 4 years after the show has ended and any news regarding him & Superman still generate this kind of excitement & publicity which rival if not surpass anything regarding "the other guy". I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

That's definitely the one from the Smallville prop dept

latest

although if somehow this is even remotely true (it's not that article is pure baseless speculation), I'd only ever see him coming back as Clark Kent.

Last edited:
That's definitely the one from the Smallville prop dept

latest

although if somehow this is even remotely true (it's not that article is pure baseless speculation), I'd only ever see him coming back as Clark Kent.

There's a chance that they saw how much hype the rumor had/is still having & decided to go with it. The S.11 comic book sold really well & there's still a huge demand for Tom as Superman. It's more than logic but given it's WB you just never know...

If they did reuse Welling as Superman, then it would kill the idea of a Flash/ Supergirl/ Arrow crossover. Smallville already had their own version of Kara played by Laura Vandervoort.

In fact, they already had Green Arrow and Flash in Smallville, so it simply wouldn't match with the Flash/Arrow mythology that has been established.

It's better not to associate these new shows with Smallville.

It's better not to associate these new shows with Smallville because Smallville is ridiculously terrible, not for any story reasons. They could easily use multiverse shenanigans to fix any plot inconsistencies.

Tom Welling, aka "I'm never wearing the supersuit because I don't want to" making a cameo as Superman? :lmao:

Well that's the dumbest thing he's ever said and I bet he regrets it now cause guess what Tommy, you got type cast anyway. It doesn't matter if you wear the suit or not. You played Clark Kent longer than anyone else, likely combined. You were lucky to land a role on a show that had a ten year run.

Put the tights on or keep praying for Cheaper by the Dozen 3!

Smallville wasn't the first comic book television show, sorry to tell you. It wasn't even the first one to be successful. It wasn't any more important than Lois and Clark, 60s Batman, 50s Superman, etc. bad place, even 90s Flash has more of a legacy in the newer shows (with four cast members showing up on Flash).

These new shows are a reaction to the boom in the cinemas, from the MCU to the TDK trilogy to the X-Men films. If there were no Smallville it wouldn't have changed anything for Flash, Arrow, SHIELD, iZombie, Gotham, etc. Nolan's Bat films, Singer's X-Men films,and Whedon's MCU still would have happened and TV shows would have followed.

And the reason Tom Welling hasn't been in much since Smallville isn't because he's been typecast, it's because he's a terrible actor. The guy makes Stephen Amell look like Leo DiCaprio, and Amell is essentially a block of wood.

If they did reuse Welling as Superman, then it would kill the idea of a Flash/ Supergirl/ Arrow crossover. Smallville already had their own version of Kara played by Laura Vandervoort.

In fact, they already had Green Arrow and Flash in Smallville, so it simply wouldn't match with the Flash/Arrow mythology that has been established.

It's better not to associate these new shows with Smallville.

The Flash is playing around with other worlds that was the point of using Tom. That would explain the diferent GA's & Supergirl's but in Smallville their "Flash" was actually Impulse (and was codenamed that, Flash was never referenced) Bart Allen, so no clash there.

Well that's the dumbest thing he's ever said and I bet he regrets it now cause guess what Tommy, you got type cast anyway. It doesn't matter if you wear the suit or not. You played Clark Kent longer than anyone else, likely combined. You were lucky to land a role on a show that had a ten year run.

Put the tights on or keep praying for Cheaper by the Dozen 3!

He never said that. It's funny how on the internet community & especially on the Superman fandom when you repeat a lie a thousand times it becomes a fact. He was always open to it, I just think he prefered to wear the suit on a theatrical movie. What he wasn't interested in doing was the concept of a Superman in school which was done in Superboy, but after he saw that SV was diferent he decided to do it and is proud of his decision.
There's countless interviews out there with him saying he's was always open to playing Superman & how he was honored that a large majority of the american public voted him their choice to play Supes in MOS (for which he was never asked).

It's interesting that the suit is there but if they were using it on someone I don't think it would just be there for Grant Gustin to hold. Is it possible it's in the background of an episode somewhere or something?

I personally would prefer a new actor take on the role (I am a huge fan of Smallville and Tom Welling) were Superman to ever appear but I doubt WBs would allow it and were Superman allowed to make a full appearance in any show I'm pretty sure it would be Supergirl. But the multiverse option would be fantastic if WBs broke from the norm and actually let Superman onto the Flash.

He never said that. It's funny how on the internet community & especially on the Superman fandom when you repeat a lie a thousand times it becomes a fact. He was always open to it, I just think he prefered to wear the suit on a theatrical movie. What he wasn't interested in doing was the concept of a Superman in school which was done in Superboy, but after he saw that SV was diferent he decided to do it and is proud of his decision.
There's countless interviews out there with him saying he's was always open to playing Superman & how he was honored that a large majority of the american public voted him their choice to play Supes in MOS (for which he was never asked).

Yeah he didn't say that, he definitely said he was open to it. The reason he never wore a full on Supermam suit in Smallville is for a few reasons, one was legal and the other was because they weren't going to create a suit to fit Tom Welling for a one off appearance. Instead we got a shirt that represented the top half of the suit and the CG Superman. I personally thought what they did was fine and tbh I would have been fine with a shirt rip so the CG Superman was extra delight for me. Man I miss Smallville.

Last edited:
It's interesting that the suit is there but if they were using it on someone I don't think it would just be there for Grant Gustin to hold. Is it possible it's in the background of an episode somewhere or something?

I personally would prefer a new actor take on the role (I am a huge fan of Smallville and Tom Welling) were Superman to ever appear but I doubt WBs would allow it and were Superman allowed to make a full appearance in any show I'm pretty sure it would be Supergirl. But the multiverse option would be fantastic if WBs broke from the norm and actually let Superman onto the Flash.

I doubt they would allow it as well but on another hand, a lot of time has passed maybe they'll think it's safe & they now have softened their position regarding diferent takes on their characters on diferent mediums, the comic book sold really well & to this day people still demand Tom in the role. This would be a perfect way to introduce him in this new age of DC tv even if just for a one time. If they did it would open the door for direct to tv/dvd movies or a new show or even an animated movie with the SV cast. The sky would be the limit but given how much publicity this rumor has had and still has over something that was portrayed as false one week later speaks for itself and on Tom's relationship with Superman fans.
I'm not holding my breath but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was crossing my finggers.

I doubt they would allow it as well but on another hand, a lot of time has passed maybe they'll think it's safe & they now have softened their position regarding diferent takes on their characters on diferent mediums, the comic book sold really well & to this day people still demand Tom in the role. This would be a perfect way to introduce him in this new age of DC tv even if just for a one time. If they did it would open the door for direct to tv/dvd movies or a new show or even an animated movie with the SV cast. The sky would be the limit but given how much publicity this rumor has had and still has over something that was portrayed as false one week later speaks for itself and on Tom's relationship with Superman fans.
I'm not holding my breath but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was crossing my finggers.

I'm not convinced they have softened their position tbh at least not to the point where they'd allow a character as big as Superman on the show. Arrow is no longer allowed to use Slade Wilson or the Suicide Squad due to movie plans. They also can't use Ted Kord bar the name, it's interesting that they still let them use Waller though although that is in a much more reduced role. They also won't allow Green Lantern onto Arrow or the Flash, so they still aren't allowing certain characters. Gotham is only allowed the Batman universe characters because like Smallville it's a prequel show set before Bruce is Batman. Also with a new Superman film right around the corner I doubt they'd allow him to appear fully on any show at least until after the movies been out. Even then I can't see it.

I loved Tom but for me it's time to move on to a new actor if they're going to fully reintroduce Superman to television. However, were it to happen and it was Tom I'd be pretty happy.

Tom is almost 40, and he looks it these days.

article-0-1CEC564000000578-371_306x423.jpg

I think the ship has sailed now.

I think it has too plus I don't think he would do it. I saw an interview with him recently about that film he did with Kevin Costner and he said he prefers to play characters like footballers and such.

I think it has too plus I don't think he would do it. I saw an interview with him recently about that film he did with Kevin Costner and he said he prefers to play characters like footballers and such.

What an ambitious actor.

What an ambitious actor.

Tbh I generalised that what he went on to say was because they go through struggles in life etc. I think what he meant was he likes to play real people who are real people with flaws etc.

Ah, well that makes it a whole lot different. My bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"