Top Sony Executives Disillusioned With Film Chairman Tom Rothman (EXCLUSIVE)

LoganGambit87

Sidekick
Reaction score
Top Sony Executives Disillusioned With Film Chairman Tom Rothman (EXCLUSIVE)
A series of personnel complaints and threatened defections by senior executives have raised questions about the leadership of Sony Pictures Entertainment movie boss Tom Rothman, several sources said — a difficult challenge for a studio already fighting to gain traction during a rough year at the box office.

Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton and the company’s human resources department have fielded protests about Rothman from more than a dozen executives, according to an individual briefed on the showdown, who declined to be named discussing internal company business.

The unhappy Sony executives report that Rothman has made their lives untenable with his micro-management and obstreperous manner, which they say has also alienated talent agents, producers, directors and actors, many of whom are now loathe to bring their projects to Sony, the sources said.

Rothman was confronted with the charges of disillusionment with his leadership in a meeting last week with the company’s human resources department. The executives complained that morale has plummeted in the 20 months since Rothman was elevated from head of Sony’s TriStar Pictures label to chairman of the entire movie operation. “There is no confidence in his leadership,” said one of the sources, who declined to be named.

Rothman declined to comment. Lynton issued a statement late Sunday afternoon strongly backing his studio chief. “Tom Rothman has done an outstanding job in his efforts to restructure and turn around the Motion Picture Group,” Lynton said. “He has my full and complete support, and the support of SPE’s senior management and Tokyo.” The last reference is to the studio’s corporate parent, Sony Corp., headquartered in Japan.

Some insiders defended Rothman, saying that the complaints are the result of his urgent push to make a “sea change” in the culture at the studio, which has languished at or near the bottom of the box office standings for several years. Rothman, 61, was named chairman of the motion picture group in February, 2015.

Compared to the relatively laissez faire approach of previous studio co-chair Amy Pascal, especially on financial matters, Rothman’s tough, bottom-line mentality strikes some as abrasive. “There is an old guard of people who are, naturally, going to be uncomfortable with that kind of change,” said one insider, who declined to be named. “But it’s important that the change be made.”

Others who defended Rothman described him as decent and well-meaning, though sometimes oblivious to how his hard-charging manner is perceived by others. One insider also contended that the studio will soon announce that two top production executives are re-upping, while declining to provide details.

The internal furor does not come at a good time for Sony, which languishes in fifth place this year of the six major studios in domestic box office performance. This weekend’s “Inferno” — the “Da Vinci Code” sequel that was supposed to be a solid money-maker – collapsed at the domestic box office, its $15 million opening less than a third of the opening for the previous entry in the series.

Another big-budget film that under-performed: “Ghostbusters,” which scraped up $229 million worldwide, with production costs, alone, coming in at $144 million. The Sacha Baron Cohen comedy “The Brothers Grimsby” and last year’s holiday release, “Concussion,” with Will Smith, also tanked.

Fairing better for Sony were smaller films like the Blake Lively shark thriller “The Shallows,” which grossed $119 million worldwide on a production budget of $17 million; the R-rated cartoon, “Sausage Party,” which took in $135 million on a $19 million budget; and the horror flick “Don’t Breathe,” which scored $150 million worldwide on a trim $9.9 million budget.

One of the Rothman loyalists at the studio hoped that a comeback will begin, in earnest, with “Passengers,” a sci-fi romance starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, due out at Christmas. The Sony worker, who asked not to be named, cited a range of potential hits on the 2017 slate, led by the next “Spider Man” entry; the adventure fantasy “Jumanji,” with Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart; the Western/sci-fi mashup “The Dark Tower”; and a revamp of the 1982 hit “Blade Runner.”

Rothman’s previous tenure as a studio leader – at 20th Century Fox, where he was co-chairman with Jim Gianopulos – also provoked complaints about his contentious and domineering nature. His doggedness in ratcheting down salaries for talent also irritated some filmmakers and agents.

The objections are recurring at Sony, but without the buffer of the more positive results that Fox’s films had during much of Rothman’s tenure at the Pico Boulevard studio.

“When he left Fox, he told everyone, ‘I have changed. I realized I was a problem,'” said one individual close to the situation. “And, of course, when he came back to Sony he was the exact same person, and probably worse.”

The source called Rothman “the biggest micro-manager I have ever dealt with,” adding: “He thinks he can do everybody’s job better — from writer, to director, to producer, to business affairs to marketer — any position anyone would have on a movie — he thinks he can do better than they can.”

The complaints were serious enough that Lynton informed Sony’s corporate leaders in Japan. “There is apparently a reluctance to make a change quickly, so they are moving in a very deliberate way,” said one of those who would like to see Rothman ousted.

A top producer agreed that the harsh assessments extend outside the studio. “He lacks empathy. He is easily threatened. He doesn’t make people feel good about coming to work,” said the producer. “Certainly things are very strained.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/s...-tom-rothman-1201904528/#comment-list-wrapper

sounds like he is doing what he did at FOX but now at Sony LOL

What were they expecting?

Last edited:
13c4fz.jpg

Was were they expecting?

I know, right?

If you hire Tom Rothman, you get Tom Rothman. His antics have been well reported over the years, and he basically ran 20th Century Fox into the ground by the end of his tenure (just look at how the studio has changed for the better since he left; I hope Stacey Snider can keep up the good work without Jim Gianopolous). They should get rid of him as soon as possible.

Sony. Such a stable studio.

Least shocking news ever.

Like someone before me said. Water is wet. Such a non-news really

You hire a guy known for this and are shocked to learn he is going to be that guy?

Another reason why Sony is in constant decay. Can't say I'm surprised, really.

Yes, least shocking news. But, to his credit, which I can't believe I just said, There's no reason to spend $150m on a Ghostbusters movie, especially with what we got. He also halved the Inferno budget compared to Angels & Demons. They capitalized on the DVC momentum and honestly lucked out people still showed up for Angels & Demons (but that's undercutting A&D being a better story to make a movie out of). Has there been any real press for Inferno's book release? Why release a Robert Langdon movie in the Fall anyway? They've been summer movies thus far.

You can't argue with the results though. Sony's gambled big time with the budgets of their franchise movies and lost. Rothman came on board Ghostbusters while a lot of gears were already in motion, so there was only so much he could, hence why he cut $10m out at the last minute. At this point, he's trying to shrink those losses and better manage those bets.

This is very much like when Idris Elba came in and replaced Michael Scott. Everybody was so used to how easy going and unregulated their job was, when in reality it's wildly inappropriate and really bad for business.

Along with Rothman, I'm sure aim not alone in thinking Lynton needs to go too since he publicly blamed movie goers for Sony's financial straits among the most highlighted decisions on his watch (appointing Rothman and letting Pascal remain on payroll w/ her production company in tow)

I am shocked by this news.

Just don't **** up Spider-man again, that's all I'm asking.

I'm not even upset with that demon Tom Rothman. I'm upset with Sony not expecting this from a mile away.

Oh well, Sony just keeps failing and failing.

Beserker, Inferno came out in the fall because this summer would have been an extremely loony time to release it. "It's a summer movie!" And this summer most movies, the high budgeted films that have typically fared better, cannibalized each other. Inferno would have made next to nothing in a summer where that's the case. The more "summer" movies in the fall and earlier released the better - actually gives them a fighting chance.

Sorry for the rant, just sick and tired of the "Summer/Winter" movie thinking which this summer perfectly showed why that old style of thinking seriously needs to go. For kids movies, it's important because of less opportunity but for older crowds where that isn't as much as a hurdle, that's where it should change. They're cannibalizing each other now stacked one on top of each other, some weeks literally, like they are. The results from this disastrous summer while quality has something to do with it, also comes from a giant tent pole every week (or 3 + in ONE week) in an unprecedented amount. Hopefully this summer and next couple when studio heads do that, they'll start to see their downfall partly has to do with their own thinking and old school logic on seasons. Most movies need time to be as successful as they can be. I used to see summer /winter release dates as a great thing, now I see them as kisses of death for most to be avoided.

Last edited:
I actually liked much of Sony Pictures' output this decade and the fact that they're not only focusing on gigantic tentpoles:

- The Social Network
- The Green Hornet
- Bad Teacher
- Moneyball
- Arthur Christmas
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- 21 Jump Street
- The Pirates! Band of Misfits
- Skyfall
- Evil Dead (2013)
- This is the End
- Elysium
- 22 Jump Street
- The Equalizer
- Fury
- The Interview

LEAKED: SONY'S POSSIBLE REPLACEMENTS FOR TOM ROTHMAN

John Stumpf
Jon Peters
Carly Fiorina
Amy Pascal (again, because f*** it)
Donald Trump

LEAKED: SONY'S POSSIBLE REPLACEMENTS FOR TOM ROTHMAN

John Stumpf
Jon Peters
Carly Fiorina
Amy Pascal (again, because f*** it)
Donald Trump

Lets not forget Jeff "No women led films but will ok Sucker Punch as a test run" Robinov

He's just doing the same things he did to run Fox into the ground during his tenure. Sony is getting what they deserve.

He's just doing the same things he did to run Fox into the ground during his tenure. Sony is getting what they deserve.

Don't be so hard on them. They just need to get rid of him and they're fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"