Top Sony Executives Disillusioned With Film Chairman Tom Rothman (EXCLUSIVE)

He's just doing the same things he did to run Fox into the ground during his tenure. Sony is getting what they deserve.

Between him and Pascal before him, Sony's fate makes United Artists look like an amicable disolve Heaven's Gate be damned

The only disaster I known from Sony is Ghost busters and I thought everyone blamed Feige for that.

Yes, Kevin Feige and Marvel totally ruined Ghostbusters by shoehorning in too many references to the Avengers movies. ;)

The only disaster I known from Sony is Ghost busters and I thought everyone blamed Feige for that.

What window of time are you talking abut? Post-leak?

EDIT: OHHH>>> It was a joke. Stupid me!

Last edited:
Just saw that inferno cost only 75 mil lol. He's good. A shame he could not cut the Ghost Busters budget more. At least we know the next Spidey film won't cost 250 mil plus like the last one.

Just saw that inferno cost only 75 mil lol. He's good. A shame he could not cut the Ghost Busters budget more. At least we know the next Spidey film won't cost 250 mil plus like the last one.

He's good for NOW, but I think he's man whose head is far, far up his own rear. I know you have to be a little sociopathic to run a studio but I've heard Rothmans is straight-up a sociopath, and when he's making execs (who themselves can be jerks) feel uneasy, then that's a bit of a problem. And Tom had that problem at Fox too.

Rothman's disasterous tenure at Fox is well-known, and was so even before Sony hired them. And given that he's never to my knowledge own up to any mistakes, I don't know why Sony thought that he'd work out better for them.

It's like a pro wrestling company constantly hiring Vince Russo and expecting that THIS time it'll work out well

He's good for NOW, but I think he's man whose head is far, far up his own rear. I know you have to be a little sociopathic to run a studio but I've heard Rothmans is straight-up a sociopath, and when he's making execs (who themselves can be jerks) feel uneasy, then that's a bit of a problem. And Tom had that problem at Fox too.

And not just the execs.

Tom Rothman alienated lots of talent at Fox during his tenure. Directors such as Alex Proyas and Tim Burton (and I'm sure many more) swore not to work with the studio ever again as long as he was on board.

He turned down Seth McFarlane's Ted, which ended up being a worldwide success, and wasn't keen on making James Cameron's mega-budgeted Titanic and Avatar (that's where Jim Gianopolous came in): he almost cost the studio its biggest hits!

On the other hand, he sure loved John Moore, who's the ultimate 'yes man' (and hack), and would just do whatever he was asked to.

The console division is the only one worth a damn at sony.

with Sony in Japan, they've let the Americans deal with the studios, like Columbia, Tristar and Sony Classic. That's why there were talks of the Japanese selling Columbia and its small branches since they're not being profitable.

Their input in general is limited to just the bottom dollar. Since Rothman is a known cheapskate, I guess the theory is to have him cut costs by cutting corners. But that's the price you pay if you wanna hire him: He's a known ass, and he doesn't understand the value of a good tentpole.

Rothman is just like the Weinsteins: they understand small indie dramas but are clueless with blockbusters. Look at the Weinsteins with thei animated films. They're junk but they're thinking 'Oh kids will see it anyway.'

Last edited:
What were they expecting?
Can't say I'm surprised that after they fired Amy Pascal they decided to promote Tom Rothman. It's like they felt they were going to a safe choice since Rothman had experience running a big studio, but the board or whoever makes these decisions forgot how his tenure ended at Fox when he left and how he built up a bad reputation.

But I mean, people who worked there were complaining and putting the company down well before Amy Pascal left too.

And not just the execs.

Tom Rothman alienated lots of talent at Fox during his tenure. Directors such as Alex Proyas and Tim Burton (and I'm sure many more) swore not to work with the studio ever again as long as he was on board.

He turned down Seth McFarlane's Ted, which ended up being a worldwide success, and wasn't keen on making James Cameron's mega-budgeted Titanic and Avatar (that's where Jim Gianopolous came in): he almost cost the studio its biggest hits!

On the other hand, he sure loved John Moore, who's the ultimate 'yes man' (and hack), and would just do whatever he was asked to.

Let's also not forget he would never give the greenlight on Deadpool and never believed in the project. Him leaving was ultimately what it had to take to get made.

And not just the execs.

Plus was responsible for the cancellation of Firefly. Still trying to process how the hell he twisted Gail Berman's arm into doing the deed knowing full well the TV network isn't in his jurisdiction whatsoever

What's the story with Firefly and Rothman, and is it really true?

Fry-Im-Shocked-Futurama.gif

Rothman should have been kicked out of the studio system a decade ago. The man is a penny pinching jackass.

The people that continue to hire him must be the same idiots that need warnings on their coffee cups so they dont forget that their coffee is hot.

It definitely seems like another one of those cases of failing upward in Hollywood.

Well Feige says they are calling the shots on Spider-Man, and that's straight from him. So...

Im not too worried about Spiderman. I dont think Feige would just stand by and let the film become a total cluster****. He probably would have shut that **** down if Sony or Rothman tried to produce a dumpster fire.

Marvel is wearing the pants in that partnership.

Does anyone know where I can find the whole story on Firefly and Rothman? Couldn't find it in my Google search.

Rothman played Fox like a harp from hell, so none of this is surprising in the least. Sony is a hot mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"