• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Age of Extinction Transformers 4 is going to be AWESOME. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really curious to see how they'll handle the Decepticons in the next film. I recall Attinger mentioning that there were still a few unaccounted for, so I'd imagine that's how Galvatron will get an army.

Hopefully they go back to the TF1 model and have them be individual characters instead of just random protoforms. If they're bringing in the Quintessons, use the Sharkticons as the cannon fodder.

Maybe the Quintesson's kept their own Transformers Army & will have Nemesis Prime as their leader.

^That would be awesome, although movies 2 and 3 had fallen Primes who had turned evil so a 3rd may be stretching it a little.

Would love all of the dark universe stuff to be introduced though. They had man made TF's in this movie that were very similar to the pretenders from the comics.

The Quintessons would be really interesting, but I'm ready to see Unicron. I don't know where you go after that, but I'm ready to start seeing some of the Gen 2 cast make it in like Hot Rod, Ultra Magnus, maybe even Kup and Springer.

I was surprised they cut the dancing Autobot's scene out.

Maybe they felt it hurt the flow of their movie or maybe it will show up on an extended edition of Age Of Extinction Bluray.

Haha, yeah.

I don't think it would have even been that out of place too because I thought the humor was pretty damn funny and much better than anything in the previous two movies.

^Same here, I actually like the clip in the spots, wish it would have been kept in the movie.

And is it just me or should Unicron be saved for the 6th movie? People wanted him in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th movies but to me he is end game, you dont get bigger than Unicron so save him for last IMO.

But I agree about bringing in Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, Kup and Springer, hope at least a couple of them are in TF5. Magnus especially as in the comics him and Galvatron were always at each others throats.

Teased at the end of 5... Big bad in 6... If either happens that is.

^That would be ideal IMO, have the Quintessons in TF5 with Sixshot the new Decepticon threat, then Unicron in TF6.

TF5 at least will definitely happen.

Maybe they felt it hurt the flow of their movie or maybe it will show up on an extended edition of Age Of Extinction Bluray.

I really don't think pacing was high on Bay's list of priorities. :D

Haha, yeah.

I don't think it would have even been that out of place too because I thought the humor was pretty damn funny and much better than anything in the previous two movies.

I agree, I'd have preferred that scene at the camp fire instead of the Drift/Crosshairs scrap.

I really enjoyed watching AoE today. I think it was better than RotF & DotM.
The new Human leads where a big improvement & Lockdown was badass.

Why wouldn't they happen? The film is making a crap ton of money.

But is it enough for the studio to commission them? I'm seeing talk that the projected final total is less that DOTM. Will Paramount be willing to shell out for six if Five continues the trend?

Why wouldn't they? It's Paramount's highest grossing franchise, it would just be bad business to drop a franchise that can still make them close to a Billion Dollars, you can't constantly make better than your previous film, Dark of the Moon made an abnormal number, the final number of this film will probably fall near 900 million, you consider that a major drop? Part 5 and 6 are sure to still make similar numbers, i only see them starting to drop the franchise if the films make less than the double of what they cost, and i don't see that happening in the foreseable future.

Maybe... I'm just seen a lot of talk about how TF4 is making a lot less cash this time out.

Bs21q6uCYAAqJeb.jpg

Last edited:
Why wouldn't they? It's Paramount's highest grossing franchise, it would just be bad business to drop a franchise that can still make them close to a Billion Dollars, you can't constantly make better than your previous film, Dark of the Moon made an abnormal number, the final number of this film will probably fall near 900 million, you consider that a major drop? Part 5 and 6 are sure to still make similar numbers, i only see them starting to drop the franchise if the films make less than the double of what they cost, and i don't see that happening in the foreseable future.

With that said, there's an incredibly strong backlash this time around, the critical rating is low and the audience rating is mediocre: 6.3/10 on IMDB and 56% on Rotten Tomatoes. Note that the 6.3/10 is really bad as new movies tend to be overrated on IMDB.

Transformers is the golden goose for Paramount, but they're in a risky situation. If they maintain the present course they'll make another few hundred million dollars and then the franchise will be dead (which might be acceptable). If they want the franchise to recover so that it doesn't become a money loser like Amazing Spider Man. They should consider going into a different direction to restore the reputation of the franchise, admittedly that would be risky as it risks alienating the fans they currently have.

With that said, there's an incredibly strong backlash this time around, the critical rating is low and the audience rating is mediocre: 6.3/10 on IMDB and 56% on Rotten Tomatoes. Note that the 6.3/10 is really bad as new movies tend to be overrated on IMDB.

Transformers is the golden goose for Paramount, but they're in a risky situation. If they maintain the present course they'll make another few hundred million dollars and then the franchise will be dead (which might be acceptable). If they want the franchise to recover so that it doesn't become a money loser like Amazing Spider Man. They should consider going into a different direction to restore the reputation of the franchise, admittedly that would be risky as it risks alienating the fans they currently have.

Critical rating means nothing in Hollywood when the $$$ are there. If this movie crosses a billion and it has a low RT score (why pay attention to RT when Sharknado has an 80+ number) they can ignore the RT.

The audience ratings are mediocre as well, and the domestic take looks like it will fall by ~30% relative to Transformers 3.

It has a cinema score of A-...the first movie had a B+ and the second and third had an A.

The audience ratings are mediocre as well, and the domestic take looks like it will fall by ~30% relative to Transformers 3.

Making less than a mega hit isn't as bad as simply making little money. There are a good amount of hit films that aren't going to make anywhere near this films totals. Indeed it's domestics(not WW) are relatively down from the prior film(s) but in the same thought, relatively it's doing alot better than it's competition. I mean looking at the hit fast/furious films, looking at all the films this year even domestically..

The thing about ASM2 is in part the budget, in part just how it's doing relative to it's competition. That it's simply down from the franchise high isn't really an issue imo. That happens all the time, from batman to what is likely to eventually happen with avengers and avatar. It's about success in and of itself. The numbers are strong imo. Perhaps the strongest this year when all is said and one.

That being said:
I was always curious to see what would happen with this film. I mean it technically is 'part 4' and it technically did recast it's leads and start a new in many respects. That usually accounts for a dip(see spidey/lotr for instance). Perhaps that would be what the studio see's happening here. Who knows how they will read this.

Well, let's see if Bay backs off and lets someone else take the reins like he said he was gonna. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes behind the camera is just what the franchise needs.

Audience Ratings? The people who go to sites like Rotten Tomatoes are those who care about cinema more than the general audience, i don't realy follow Domestic to be honest, Worldwide's usualy what matters to me, but then again i'm not from the USA. Superhero films are also much bigger domesticaly, if overseas followed suit, then Spider-Man 1 would be the highest grossing film of all time right now.

With Pirates of the Caribbean, the Domestic gross fell quite a lot for the 4th film, yet, overseas it had a huge improvement.

The public that liked the past 3 films seems to have liked this one too, GA don't realy care about ratings.

I mean looking at the hit fast/furious films, looking at all the films this year even domestically..

Don't forget that the Fast & Furious films don't have the boost of 3D, neither did the Twilight films, you need to take that factor into account. It reminds me of when people think Iron Man 3 did a billion thanks to Avengers alone, and forget that the past 2 films weren't even released in 3D, i'm not even sure they were in IMAX either.

I think it's better to compare Transformers with similar releases.

Well, let's see if Bay backs off and lets someone else take the reins like he said he was gonna. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes behind the camera is just what the franchise needs.

I just hope he hires someone with a strong vision, not a Michael Bay wannabe like he did with TMNT

Don't forget that the Fast & Furious films don't have the boost of 3D, neither did the Twilight films, you need to take that factor into account. It reminds me of when people think Iron Man 3 did a billion thanks to Avengers alone, and forget that the past 2 films weren't even released in 3D, i'm not even sure they were in IMAX either.

I think it's better to compare Transformers with similar releases.
3D is an interesting aside, however it's not like all the hit films this year weren't released in 3D. People often talk about 3d inflation in relation to how much 'more' a film makes but they often overlook it in the face of how much more a film makes in relation to other contemporary 3D films. Perhaps fast would make more with 3D, then again it's not like non 3D movies don't make a great deal more than fast films(such at the TF films).

The point being, that standard of measure(whatever the film may be) is being hit where it isn't with spidey for example.

I just hope he hires someone with a strong vision, not a Michael Bay wannabe like he did with TMNT
Had bay's name not been attached to this one, it would no doubt have made a great deal less. This is probably the crutch the studio has to deal with. Plus I doubt any name director wants to step into something with this much creative identity. It will be a shooter no doubt.

Bay's been talking about a replacement for quite a while, i have no doubt that the studio wants him for as long as necessary, but if we're going to get a replacement, i hope it's someone different who can still bring impressive action but has a better told overall story and characters that can bring some of the "anti-Bays" back.

Either way, Transformers makes a ton of money, we'll in the very least see this Trilogy complete before they start needing to refresh it again. I don't think there are many people who go see this just due to Bay's name, they go due to the special effects and high scale action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"