Age of Extinction Transformers 4 is going to be AWESOME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing. The first film was a solid story. The story and the characters drove the action, made these spectacular set pieces matter. Action and amazing CGI serviced the story.

The 2nd and 3rd? The story serviced the action and amazing CGI. It was all backwards. Like the actual plot and characters were mere afterthoughts. Although i did initially like the idea that the "space race" was to uncover the ufo on the moon first.

^The sequels had some good ideas and some excellent moments, think its been mentioned before but ROTF has the best bot battle of the series with Optimus in the forest.

Just overall they were lacking, I think Bay getting to do another movie in between TF3 and TF4 will be beneficial in the long run.

That's the thing. The first film was a solid story. The story and the characters drove the action, made these spectacular set pieces matter. Action and amazing CGI serviced the story.

The 2nd and 3rd? The story serviced the action and amazing CGI. It was all backwards. Like the actual plot and characters were mere afterthoughts. Although i did initially like the idea that the "space race" was to uncover the ufo on the moon first.

Yup.

I will forever defend the first film as genuinely good movie. The Bayisms are only a semi annoyance. There is real sense of charm/wonder/discovery to the first film that gave it a heart. The Spielberg influence was felt for the better. Sam was likable, his relationship with Bumblebee was nice, the love angle didn't feel forced or cheesy and it went about it's wanton destruction in a way that didn't feel hollow or obligatory.

Bay can do crazy destruction with soul. As much as people rip on Armageddon for being completely impossible, it had a nice gooey human center to it. Call it cheesy, but it works for me. The Island was a completely lackluster story, but it also had a good human element that made it rise above a soulless, generic sci-fi action flick. Bay can do heart, he just hasn't lately. It's not deep or philosophical stuff by any means, but it works when he does it right. I hope this new film finally gets back into that finally.

Last edited:
^The sequels had some good ideas and some excellent moments, think its been mentioned before but ROTF has the best bot battle of the series with Optimus in the forest.

Just overall they were lacking, I think Bay getting to do another movie in between TF3 and TF4 will be beneficial in the long run.

I have to disagree, my favorite action was in the 3rd film, the 2nd's action was all over the place, and not in a good way. The Optimus Prime in the forest sequence didn't work well for me, suddenly he was soloing against some 3 top tier decepticon, making them look weak, and then Megatron shoots Opimus in the back, proceesing to call weak to the guy who was just pawning him, making the Decepticon leader look even more like a joke.

I still can't forget how stupid the Movie was. Like all that nonsense about only a Prime being able to kill a Prime.

Most of its nonsense. But its fun nonsense.
I have to disagree, my favorite action was in the 3rd film, the 2nd's action was all over the place, and not in a good way. The Optimus Prime in the forest sequence didn't work well for me, suddenly he was soloing against some 3 top tier decepticon, making them look weak, and then Megatron shoots Opimus in the back, proceesing to call weak to the guy who was just pawning him, making the Decepticon leader look even more like a joke.

3rd has it's issues there as well though. One second Prime is owning a decpepticon that can take down a sky scraper the next he's stuck in wires and needs three autobots to help him down. Which I thought was way more unbelievable/laughable then being distracted in the forrest scene. Both were goofy moves to get Prime out of the way from saving the day through a section. Hopefully they fix that here, or at least come up with a better way to remove him for a bit.

Starscream and Iron hide going down like punks was also one of the worst things to happen in the trilogy battle wise imo. Those scenes always kick the film down a notch for me. But that driller scene and freeway chase with Sideswipe and Ironhide were definitely top notch. :up:

Overall 3 had the better action but bot battle wise it's no contest with the forrsest scene for me.

Last edited:
The action in the third film is better staged than the second, but the long finale is mostly made up following the humans with little spurts of Transformers action here and there. Human vs Transformer is ok....but I want Transformer vs Transformer. VERY disappointing.

Last edited:
I agree about some of the battles not being very good, but i guess i simply enjoyed the 3rd one the most when it comes to the action, the driller and freeway battles are some of my favorite, it's a shame Sam is part of both

Yup.

I will forever defend the first film as genuinely good movie. The Bayisms are only a semi annoyance. There is real sense of charm/wonder/discovery to the first film that gave it a heart. The Spielberg influence was felt for the better. Sam was likable, his relationship with Bumblebee was nice, the love angle didn't feel forced or cheesy and it went about it's wanton destruction in a way that didn't feel hollow or obligatory.

Bay can do crazy destruction with soul. As much as people rip on Armageddon for being completely impossible, it had a nice gooey human center to it. Call it cheesy, but it works for me. The Island was a completely lackluster story, but it also had a good human element that made it rise above a generic simply being a soulless generic sci-fi action flick. Bay can do heart, he just hasn't lately. It's not deep or philosophical stuff by any means, but it works when he does it right. I hope this new film finally gets back into that finally.

Yea, the first film had Spielberg's fingerprints all over it. You can tell he wasn't as involved with the sequels.

As for Armageddon? I agree. It's got a heart and it's also got great characterisation. The montage where the government is trying to round up all of Harry's guys and then is doing all the tests on them is fantastic. I also really like the scene at the end where Chick's son comes running up to him on the runway after they land.

When you look back at the early 2000s, what was considered blockbuster dumb now seems a bit better, expecially with all the extremelly dumb movies that have began to rise meanwhile. The characters are dumb and a little mean to each others, but yeah, there's still some decent development, but i really hated the ones in Pearl Harbor.

Yea, the first film had Spielberg's fingerprints all over it. You can tell he wasn't as involved with the sequels.

As for Armageddon? I agree. It's got a heart and it's also got great characterisation. The montage where the government is trying to round up all of Harry's guys and then is doing all the tests on them is fantastic. I also really like the scene at the end where Chick's son comes running up to him on the runway after they land.

I mean, it's all melodrama, but it's well done melodrama. I think the word itself has a rotten stigma to it that it wasn't originally intended to have. When Bruce Willis sacrifices himself at the end, it's genuine. It hits me right in the man-feels.

If this can at least match the 1st movie I will be happy. The 1st is still a great movie for me, and the sequels have failed to match it. Despite giving us some amazing sequences.

I really hope this can get back to the level of the 1st, then we can go on with the franchise and see what happens.

Every movie since the first, i keep reding the same thing. :doh: Haven't we learnt yet? I'll paraphrase an old saying; you can't keep doing things the same way, and expect different results. Same director, same formula = same movies.

Besides, t's not like they have any motivation to make a different movie; these movies gross big bucks at the b.o. That's all they care about.

Every movie since the first, i keep reding the same thing. :doh: Haven't we learnt yet? I'll paraphrase an old saying; you can't keep doing things the same way, and expect different results. Same director, same formula = same movies.

Besides, t's not like they have any motivation to make a different movie; these movies gross big bucks at the b.o. That's all they care about.

They care about making their fans happy. They keep doing that, they keep making(more and more) money.

Yup.

Bay can do crazy destruction with soul. As much as people rip on Armageddon for being completely impossible, it had a nice gooey human center to it. Call it cheesy, but it works for me. The Island was a completely lackluster story, but it also had a good human element that made it rise above a soulless, generic sci-fi action flick. Bay can do heart, he just hasn't lately. It's not deep or philosophical stuff by any means, but it works when he does it right. I hope this new film finally gets back into that finally.

Agree with the bolded totally, the 1st movie is great. Armageddon is still good too, and I nearly at the ending every time.

I'd say overall the action in the 3rd movie was better, but for individual bot battles TF2 is easily the best, Prime's fight in the forest is the best in the franchise, and Bumblebee vs Rampage and Ravage is in the top 3 for me as well.

3rd has it's issues there as well though. One second Prime is owning a decpepticon that can take down a sky scraper the next he's stuck in wires and needs three autobots to help him down. Which I thought was way more unbelievable/laughable then being distracted in the forrest scene. Both were goofy moves to get Prime out of the way from saving the day through a section. Hopefully they fix that here, or at least come up with a better way to remove him for a bit.

Starscream and Iron hide going down like punks was also one of the worst things to happen in the trilogy battle wise imo. Those scenes always kick the film down a notch for me. But that driller scene and freeway chase with Sideswipe and Ironhide were definitely top notch. :up:

Overall 3 had the better action but bot battle wise it's no contest with the forrsest scene for me.

Agreed, the 3rd had just as many issues as the 2nd but overall had stronger battle scenes. Bot Battle wise ROTF is the king though.

Bay made the 1st movie as well, so he can do it, and I think the break from the franchise and him getting to make another movie in between will benefit things.

ROTF was basically Bad Boys 2 without the wink wink "yeah we know this is outrageous" vibe.

I did see the movie in IMAX though and the forest fight is a sight to behold. Bay said he wanted them to be to scale and they were.

I actually think the first and second film both had solid stories. Sam's quest is fairly interesting, and there are some nice story dynamics going on.

The third film, not so much, but it may have been the most emotional of the three films. Still, I think REVENGE gets sort of "tainted" in fans' minds by DARK OF THE MOON's action over story approach.

aav4wGF.jpg

i only now realized that the new OP design doesnt have visible wheels. well the pipes on his back are the only part from the truck.

i like the new design. but its obvious that Bay went from one extreme to a new extreme.

p.s.: Optimus has shoulder armor like a samurai. and the shoulder armour is moving seperate from the arms. thats why its always in a different position.
shoulder armour and metalic lain cloth. Bay you magnificent son of a b...ch

Last edited:
I'd say he looks more like a Knight than a Samurai. The sword is very much like a heavy long sword. Looks cool.

I don't expect the plot to be alright like the first movie, so i'll just go on and say that i hope Bay keeps improving the action, the 3rd film had some of my favorite set pieces.

By the way, anybody thinks the G.I.Joe/ Transformers crossover will happen anytime soon? If it does, it certainly doesn't seem like a job for Jon Chu, considering his love for Military battles my guess would be for Michael Bay doing it.

Yep. The fact that she is 41 shouldn't really be a surprise.

By the way, anybody else realised that they're accidentally following the Cartoon episodes in a way?

Film 1: More than Meets the Eye
Film 2: Episodes 4-6
Film 3: Pretty much the Ultimate Doom trilogy of episodes
Film 4: War of the Dinobots? And then a lot of episodes are skipped to take from the 80s movie.

I actually think the first and second film both had solid stories. Sam's quest is fairly interesting, and there are some nice story dynamics going on.

The third film, not so much, but it may have been the most emotional of the three films. Still, I think REVENGE gets sort of "tainted" in fans' minds by DARK OF THE MOON's action over story approach.

I dont find the 2nd movie as bad as many make out, as someone else pointed the 3rd had pretty big problems as well. Overall I would say 3 was the better movie than 2, but 2 was still okay, and has the best fights of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"