Rise of the Beasts Transformers: Rise of the Beasts General News & Discussion Thread (TAG SPOILERS)

It was all a dream. (If you dont know, now you know)
I just got out of Transformers: Rise of the Beasts!

Like the Super Mario Bros (2023) film, I feel like fans will like this more than the critics.

Pros:
The human characters are likeable and far from the annoying fleshlings of the Bay films. Their screentime w/o robots is relatively infrequent.

Noah's camaraderie with Mirage is great and pays off in the end. Elena is less developed but helps the Autobots/Maximals in her own way.
Robots: human screentime is about 66:33

Optimus Prime has a small character arc-initially being dismissive towards humans/earth and then coming to respect them and work with them.

Voice work was great imo. Dinklage, Yeoh, Cullen, Koshy, Davidson, Perlman, Domingo nail their roles.I'd say Perlman comes off a better leader in some aspects and has the most dialogue that reminds me of the BW show.

The pacing was good for me. There weren't any big boring periods. The whole movie is 1 hr 54 min without credits/post credit scenes.

Action and robot designs were good. A mix of G1/BW, and Bay. I could follow the action easily.

"A knight in shining armor"

Use of hip hop classic songs established the setting well. - esp one in the final battle

Cons:

The plot is VERY straightforward. There is only 1 real twist.

Maximals and the color palette for the final battle are too gray. More color for Rhinox and Primal
Wheeljack, Cheetor, and Rhinox have little screentime and dialogue. They are "mute henchmen" unfortunately.

The final scene makes me ambivalent. I was expecting to see a tease for 1/2 characters instead.

Overall: 7.5/10

Second best live action film after Bumblebee.

For reference:
G1 1986/BB - 8/10
ROTB - 7.5/10
TF 2007 - 7/10
DOTM 2011 - 6/10
AOE (2014) and TLK (2017) - 5/10
ROTF - 4/10

SuozU.jpg

I was actually surprised by how much I ended up enjoying this. It has its problems, but its easily the best Transformers film IMO since the 2007 movie and is actually better than that in some ways too.

I thought the action sequences were really well shot for the most part and I didn't mind Anthony Ramos or Dominique Fishback as the human leads and thank god there's no juvenile Bay humor in this.

My only real issues with it are that I wish the Maximal's got a bit more screentime, but at least it wasn't a complete bait and switch like the Dinobots in AOE and Unicron was pretty much wasted.

Mirage and Scourge were the highlights of the movie for me too.

1. Transformers
2. Rise of the Beasts
3. Revenge of the Fallen
4. Dark of the Moon
5. Bumblebee
6. Age of Extinction
7. The Last Knight

Saw this yesterday morning and I thought this movie was so much fun and an entertaining ride. The story kept me intrigued throughout and I thought the action scenes were engaging and solid. My cousins who I took really enjoyed it as well. Looking forward to a sequel especially after the great ending and mid-credits scene. Happy the general audience and fans who grew up with the franchise G1 and Beast Wars are loving it compared to the critics. Also soundtrack was killer. Hoping they bring back this creative team. Overall good time at the theater.

I dipped out of the Transformers movies after 3 and attempted to get back into it with this one since it had the Maximals. I was reminded why I stopped with this franchise.

The Maximals are all but paid dust. They were given absolutely nothing in this movie except bringing that crystal to Earth. No real showcase of power, what makes them stand apart, why they are already in these Beast modes, and they only transform once which you don't even really see what their transformer modes look like.

Once again it is made into a boys club.
This film has 4 females - 1 female autobot. 1 female maximal. 1 female whatever evilbot. 1 human female.

2 females die in this movie. the human female has her big moment of saving the day squashed and is rushed to safety.

The autobots lose their two "main" male members but both are brought back to life by the end of the film while Airazor not only gets corrupted and has to "sacrifice" herself because the urge is to strong to resist but she isnt brought back to life like Bumblebee and Mirage are. Of coutse Airazor has always been my fave and I was pissed when she was killed off in Beast Wars and I am pissed off that she was killed here as well.

The male human gets this big action scene with becoming Transformers-lite (which if they can do that....why dont they just merge with humans more often)

The film says the Maximals are from the future and apparently get stuck in the past but thats all. For some reason they get to Earth and are separated with half of their team not making it but who is that team? We don't know. How did they get seperated to thousands of years to the point of not knowing where each other are? We don't know.

The film just makes things up as the plot goes along to get to the outcome they want even if it doesnt make much sense.

6/10. I guess for now Ill stick to the animated stuff or wait for a reboot.

I dipped out of the Transformers movies after 3 and attempted to get back into it with this one since it had the Maximals. I was reminded why I stopped with this franchise.

The Maximals are all but paid dust. They were given absolutely nothing in this movie except bringing that crystal to Earth. No real showcase of power, what makes them stand apart, why they are already in these Beast modes, and they only transform once which you don't even really see what their transformer modes look like.

Once again it is made into a boys club.
This film has 4 females - 1 female autobot. 1 female maximal. 1 female whatever evilbot. 1 human female.

2 females die in this movie. the human female has her big moment of saving the day squashed and is rushed to safety.

The autobots lose their two "main" male members but both are brought back to life by the end of the film while Airazor not only gets corrupted and has to "sacrifice" herself because the urge is to strong to resist but she isnt brought back to life like Bumblebee and Mirage are. Of coutse Airazor has always been my fave and I was pissed when she was killed off in Beast Wars and I am pissed off that she was killed here as well.

The male human gets this big action scene with becoming Transformers-lite (which if they can do that....why dont they just merge with humans more often)

The film says the Maximals are from the future and apparently get stuck in the past but thats all. For some reason they get to Earth and are separated with half of their team not making it but who is that team? We don't know. How did they get seperated to thousands of years to the point of not knowing where each other are? We don't know.

The film just makes things up as the plot goes along to get to the outcome they want even if it doesnt make much sense.

6/10. I guess for now Ill stick to the animated stuff or wait for a reboot.
Figured this would be an absolute waste of the Maximals. No respect for Beast Wars to this day, it's absolutely baffling.

So what does everyone think of the twist at the end?!
Yo Joe! GiJoe is here
my audience gasp and cheered at the countless possibilities that could come as a result of this revelation.

Regarding the end, I'm mixed. I like that franchise, but they havent had much success on film.

I hope it doesn't shift the focus too much away from the robot characters.

Not franchise setting, but opened better than Bumblebee and the last Bay sequel.

Yo Joe! GiJoe is here
my audience gasp and cheered at the countless possibilities that could come as a result of this revelation.

I found it interesting...considering this is a "prequel" of sorts, it doesnt really do much in the long run and while a cool crossover...the last thing TF need is more humans to take over the limelight

This was very okay. Enjoyed some of the action sequences, but other than that I wasn't particularly engaged.

Not franchise setting, but opened better than Bumblebee and the last Bay sequel.
It cost around twice as Bumblebee, though. And Bumblebee came after The Last Knight which was bottom of the barrel quality. This came after Bumblebee that was much more beloved. Also Transformers 5 did around 100 million more worldwide in its opening weekend, than Rise of the Beasts did. It's better than originally projected but still pretty bad.

As far as what’s next goes

As long as they keep the look of the Joes and Cobra recognizable like they eventually learned with the Transformers, it could be interesting. I don’t want a generic looking soldier dressed all in black and it’s Duke or Flint

It cost around twice as Bumblebee, though. And Bumblebee came after The Last Knight which was bottom of the barrel quality. This came after Bumblebee that was much more beloved. Also Transformers 5 did around 100 million more worldwide in its opening weekend, than Rise of the Beasts did. It's better than originally projected but still pretty bad.

It's going to need some impressive international numbers to break even. I don't see how it makes more than about $150 million-ish domestically with all the big movies coming out in the next few weeks.

Yo Joe! GiJoe is here

It's hard for me to get excited about. Who was Agent Burke supposed to be? In Iron man, we know who Nick Fury is. Also, I don't think Lorenzo diBonaventura knows what he is doing. Case in point, Snake Eyes: GI Joe Origins.

It appears this is a continue from Bumblebee although it doesn't directly address it. Then again the ending kinda sets up a new beginning

Michael Bay and Steve Spielberg are still excutive producers to the Transformers live action brand
Animated too, apparently. They're producers on the Transformers: One movie coming out next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"