Troubled Productions of Legend

Deck Rickard

Lord of Frenzied Flame
Reaction score
I was watching Double Toasted's review of The Island of Dr. Moreau yesterday, and they went into some of the behind-the-scenes problems that plagued the production. I'd read up on some of that stuff years ago and it was fascinating (much more interesting than anything in the awful movie itself), but they went into some stuff I had never heard before. There's a documentary that they referenced called Lost Souls that I'm definitely going to be watching soon because it goes into detail about what a mess the making of that movie was.

Some tidbits from that production that I've heard over the years:
  • After the original director was ousted, he hid in the jungle by himself and later sneaked onto the set and suited up as a cat-person (and can be seen in the film)
  • Marlon Brando wore and ear piece that fed him his lines so he didn't have to memorize them, but apparently it picked up a police radio and he would occasionally repeat when the cops were saying because he thought those were his lines
  • Val Kilmer was going through a divorce at the time (and was just pretty much a total A-hole in general) and so he demanded his role be reduced by 60 percent, which led to a new character being created for him to play, since he was originally supposed to play the lead. This led to David Thewlis being cast. Also, Kilmer supposedly burned some guy's hair with a cigarette just to be a d***.
There are plenty more where that came from. What are some other troubled productions have crazy stories behind them? I know Apocalypse Now had a troubled production, though it turned out great in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"